+ Reply to Thread
Page 131 of 135 FirstFirst ... 31 81 121 129 130 131 132 133 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 2685

Thread: Oda's Interviews

Default Re: Oda's Interviews

Oda caring enough to give even his tertiary characters memorable and important moments in the story is one of the things I like the most about him as an author, so please no intervention.

While it can definitely bloat the weekly reading experience, taking the time to care about so many supporting cast members and develop every location is what makes the worldbuilding work. There are no islands that are locations in name only, where the heroes walk in to cash a plot coupon and move on, in the way some fantasy series end up doing toward the end. In One Piece, as soon as we arrive at a new place, the bigger picture stuff takes a back seat and that island is the most important place in the world until we leave. Oda forces us to get comfortable with the locals and learn what issues threaten their day to day lives. Maybe we want to speed on to Laugh Tale and see what's there, but the people of Wano just want to see fewer of their kin indentured in slave labour mines, whether that saves the world or not. No matter how ridiculous the scenarios get, that divide between the big stuff and the little stuff is extremely human.

And Oda makes sure he puts people there to care about these local issues. You'd struggle to find anyone without a unique design, a name to be dropped in the SBS, and some kind of personality quirk that influences how they interact with the world around them. And there's a lot of them. No town is ever purely a mob of faceless NPCs, there are always community leaders and recognisable prominent figures. No pirate crew just is a captain and an army of fodder, there's always at least one or two distinct lieutenants in even the most throwaway group. And while some of these cast members are shallow one-scene wonders, you can never be quire sure who's going to reveal a tragic backstory or a fragment of knowledge about something that actually is world-shaking.

One Piece's world feels populated in a way few other worldbuilding-driven series can manage. It feels like the world extends beyond the view of the camera, and keeps on ticking when both Luffy and we, the audience, aren't looking at it. It achieves this because Oda takes the time to fill every empty space with a distinct person who has their own way of giving a shit about the space they live in.

So yeah, despite the mostly pacing-based issues it can create, Oda's caring is the heart and soul of the series. It may not have taken 20 years without it, it certainly wouldn't have lasted 20 years if it was any other way.

Wow, Captain M, sometimes I wish there was a simple Like-Button or something to easily declare your appreciation of a really great post. That was beautifully stated and absolutely true. Oda caring this much about all of his characters is what makes the whole series work so well.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    It doesn't really matter though.

Like I'm all up for different cultures and Western people being the dumbasses that they are for thinking that their culture is the only culture that exists in the world and find it really hard to accept it.

I totally get that and hell, I absolutely agree with that.

But in this case, it's just wrong. There is a reason why even Japan itself decided to banned the distribution and production of Junior Idol videos (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_idol link to read up on what that is).

Japan has many faults but I don't think that they are ignorant or more forgiving about it.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I need a source on that.

No way in hell I can believe that Luffy, who he is today, was somehow guided by Watsuki.
    Its LITERALLY written in the interview. He didn't create Luffys character but he certainly did have influence on how Luffy should be portrayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Hard to imagine a better addition for an author to have. I've seen enough stories that obviously stopped caring by the end to say with confidence that this is absolutely the preferable affliction.
    Yeah, I agree.

I still hear from Soul Eater fans about how Ohkubo didn't care enough about Crona, and I'm pretty sure Kubo just flat out forgot about certain characters.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

Captain M can really crunch some wholesome posts, can't he?

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Yeah, I agree.

I still hear from Soul Eater fans about how Ohkubo didn't care enough about Crona, and I'm pretty sure Kubo just flat out forgot about certain characters.
    ...... like Ichigo
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

So my plan to derail that other topic worked. Thank you Captain M. Also, the site is back to working at regular speed finally.

Yes, it is a great affliction to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    ...... like Ichigo
    Your signature...it's a thing of beauty

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanErrorist View Post
    Its LITERALLY written in the interview. He didn't create Luffytarotarotarotarotarotaros character but he certainly did have influence on how Luffytarotarotarotarotarotaro should be portrayed.
    I went back and read the interview again and I don't see anything other than the fact that Watsuki was impressed with how Luffytarotarotarotarotaro's says "I'm going to become the pirate king" in Japanese language.

You might be confusing it with something else.

an eel Quest Dai's Great Adventure world feels populated in a way few other worldbuilding-driven series can manage
    Was confused by that. I assume you mean an eel Quest Dai's Great Adventure here.

Either-way, excellent post!!

One thing I always see being ignored when people talk about Oda or an eel Quest Dai's Great Adventure is that an eel Quest Dai's Great Adventure is filled to the brim with stuff that would simply be impossible for many many writers to keep track off while publishing it on a weekly basis. It's almost in-human when you think about just how many things Oda has to come up with, plan ahead, stick to the current arc, set-up future plot-lines, characters, locations etc..... The amount of variables Oda deals with is fucking insane and all of this is based on a weekly schedule.

Love the fact that you actually went a bit into stuff that is usually not discussed or appreciated.

Edit: I guess you can't mention OP otherwise it will change it to something else. Either a glitch or some April fools thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    Wow, Captain M, sometimes I wish there was a simple Like-Button or something to easily declare your appreciation of a really great post. That was beautifully stated and absolutely true. Oda caring this much about all of his characters is what makes the whole series work so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    Captain M can really crunch some wholesome posts, can't he?
    Cheers guys, I do my best

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Yeah, I agree.

The Soul Eater example surprises me. I don't recall having any huge issues when I read it a while ago - Crona was always a tragic figure with uncertain prospects for a happy ending. But maybe it just felt good purely in comparison to the way the anime ended.

A really good recent example would be The Promised Neverland. On top of wanting to finish as quickly as possible, it felt like Shirai stopped caring about most characters that weren't Emma. After a point the rest of the cast, heroes and villains, just become passive pawns that adopt her point of view and turn on a dime to suit her plans. Compare and contrast the early arcs where she has to argue and debate and actually convince Norman and Ray to follow her idea for the escape instead of their own more pragmatic ones. That's what not caring about the little things and sprinting to the ending looks like, and it was a painful decline to watch.

And the less said about the anime the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    So my plan to derail that other topic worked. Thank you Captain M. Also, the site is back to working at regular speed finally.

Yes, it is a great affliction to have.
    Good way to deploy a blistering hot take, even if it looks like it didn't totally derail the, uh, extremely tasteful and productive other line of conversation.

One thing I always see being ignored when people talk about Oda or an eel Quest Dai's Great Adventure is that an eel Quest Dai's Great Adventure is filled to the brim with stuff that would simply be impossible for many many writers to keep track off while publishing it on a weekly basis. It's almost in-human when you think about just how many things Oda has to come up with, plan ahead, stick to the current arc, set-up future plot-lines, characters, locations etc..... The amount of variables Oda deals with is fucking insane and all of this is based on a weekly schedule.

Love the fact that you actually went a bit into stuff that is usually not discussed or appreciated.
    The name issue is definitely an April Fool's thing. And yeah, it's absolutely insane that Oda keeps all these balls in the air on a week to week schedule. The only other works that come to mind that worldbuild with such extensive location to location texture and such large casts are epic fantasy novels that take three or four years to drop new entries and go through extensive editing processes. I can't get my own writing projects to land in the same postcode in levels of detail and consistency, even with a much smaller scope and weeks or months of planning before I put pen to page. There's no doubt in my mind that Oda's an actual storytelling genius, and even saying that sells it short.

The name issue is definitely an April Fool's thing. And yeah, it's absolutely insane that Oda keeps all these balls in the air on a week to week schedule. The only other works that come to mind that worldbuild with such extensive location to location texture and such large casts are epic fantasy novels that take three or four years to drop new entries and go through extensive editing processes. I can't get my own writing projects to land in the same postcode in levels of detail and consistency, even with a much smaller scope and weeks or months of planning before I put pen to page. There's no doubt in my mind that Oda's an actual storytelling genius, and even saying that sells it short.
    Gonna add to the pile that I really enjoyed your comment before. Sometimes I feel bad for being critical of Oda's arcs because there's just no way I could even come close to the work this man is putting out weekly. I can't fathom how he could keep up this kind of quality for two decades. Many of the drawings of his that I find most inspirational is the very smallest ones. I can't confirm it, but I'm near certain he's the kind of artist who can draw things very "sketchy" but still make them look good, kinda like how an abstract painter will work with vague shapes that create a beautiful whole once you look at them from afar. So I love finding panels where you can see how fast he was drawing, and marvelling at how good they look.

He's truly a wonderful author and artist.

I went back and read the interview again and I don't see anything other than the fact that Watsuki was impressed with how Luffytarotarotarotarotarotaro's says "I'm going to become the pirate king" in Japanese language.

You might be confusing it with something else.
    Man you must have skipped the interview. You missed the part where it said;

"When Watsuki read "Romance Dawn", Prototype of OP, he gave advice to Oda that Luffy's behavior should be improved so that the audience can feel as if Luffy is acting on his own will".
    BTW this is stuff that is discussed in the interview only, I hiiiighly doubt that's everything.

But yea, either you can't read, have selective reading, or genuinely missed it, I don't know..

That's the most cockie cut advice you can give a begginer, not exactly life changing. "Oh your work is good but you can still grow, kiddo"
    It's really just pandering, they could write the same thing for Takei's Shaman King, since he was also an assistant there at the time.

The editor that told Oda "Sabaondy seems kinda boring, add something to it" and therefore influenced the creation of the Supernova, for example, now that's someone who changed the actual story.

I've read all 3 versions of Romance Dawn and from what I remember Luffy is the most consistent thing between them. Oda improved his world building and story telling, he kept Luffy as he was, a happy go lucky dude with a strong sense of personal justice who made friends with good people easily and quickly and threw a punch at the bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    Gonna add to the pile that I really enjoyed your comment before. Sometimes I feel bad for being critical of Oda's arcs because there's just no way I could even come close to the work this man is putting out weekly. I can't fathom how he could keep up this kind of quality for two decades. Many of the drawings of his that I find most inspirational is the very smallest ones. I can't confirm it, but I'm near certain he's the kind of artist who can draw things very "sketchy" but still make them look good, kinda like how an abstract painter will work with vague shapes that create a beautiful whole once you look at them from afar. So I love finding panels where you can see how fast he was drawing, and marvelling at how good they look.

He's truly a wonderful author and artist.
    What gets me is that it's all so goddamn detailed. So many other manga use big panels with single character closeups, lots of negative space, and even blank panels with just speech bubbles in them, but One Piece is so freaking busy on every single page. There's not an inch of space without something worth looking at. I've said it a few times, but the battles with Kaido's dragon form are totally mind-blowing for their scale and the amount of time that must go into just inking Kaido's scales, let alone environments, other combatants, battle effects and working out how to frame and pose everything. And the energy of it! He doesn't reuse stock poses, he keeps his cast and everything around them in a state of constant motion.

(and that's why things like the flat presentation of Kaido's hybrid form in the latest chapter, or the limited animation tricks the anime uses stick out so much, because Oda's set such a consistently high bar)

Man, I've just got so much love for this series. I can understand how people might not vibe with the style, the tone or the pace of it, but the underlying quality and passion are undeniable. It really is something special.

Eiichiro Oda interview in the new book called 描きたい!!を信じる少年ジャンプがどうしても伝えたいマンガの描き方 (I get it today).

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    That's the most cockie cut advice you can give a begginer, not exactly life changing. "Oh your work is good but you can still grow, kiddo"
    It's really just pandering, they could write the same thing for Takei's Shaman King, since he was also an assistant there at the time.

The editor that told Oda "Sabaondy seems kinda boring, add something to it" and therefore influenced the creation of the Supernova, for example, now that's someone who changed the actual story.

I've read all 3 versions of Romance Dawn and from what I remember Luffy is the most consistent thing between them. Oda improved his world building and story telling, he kept Luffy as he was, a happy go lucky dude with a strong sense of personal justice who made friends with good people easily and quickly and threw a punch at the bad guy.
    Is that true about editor said something about Sabaody is boring and brcause of that Oda added 11 supernova stuff?
    I vaguely remember there were multiple version going around the internet.
    like oda redo the "name" in 2 hours etc. But iirc, the editor who told the story to other one piece editors(former) in the inyerview said Oda was the one that felt tge story need something more bombastic even though the editor think that the original plotline was already perfect.

Not sure if this was a greatly appropriate place to mention this, but I found this interesting in light of the debut of Yamato:

“I finished reading Glass Mask, so now I’m reading Rose of Versailles. Oscar was a woman?!” - https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/mangaka-musings-06-09-19

Does anyone know if this was translated? I found this somewhere.

Jesus Christ this forum is more fanboyish than i remembered! Yes,its great that Oda loses times with chapters devoted to great characters like King Baum,Hyogoro and Pound. Really awesome! *sarcasm*

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Not sure if this was a greatly appropriate place to mention this, but I found this interesting in light of the debut of Yamato:

“I finished reading Glass Mask, so now I’m reading Rose of Versailles. Oscar was a woman?!” - https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/mangaka-musings-06-09-19
    Yeah we talked about it at the time he made such declaration,i made a theory that he would have introduced a character similar to Oscar,and then....Yamato happened! By the way i think Oda did read Rose of Versailles also because of the French Revolution,probably the Revolutionary Army will share some elements with the French revolutionaries. Greg agrees with this theory.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information