+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: One Piece digital-colored chapters by Shueisha v2

Default Re: One Piece digital-colored chapters by Shueisha v2

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    Does anybody here have another argument for the discussion?
    Adding to the well-worded points from Captain M, I find myself preferring the color version for the simple fact that it's the only digital version I've bought (Viz volumes, Japanese B&W, and Japanese color) that has NO center breaks for two page spreads. I make rips of my purchased manga volumes to my taste so I can have all versions/languages available in the same format/app, so I've seen small differences between the respective versions; the B&W volumes are full of cropped centers until after the time skip when digital became more prevalent, so I was VERY pleasantly surprised to realize that the color version had those corrected as part of the process.

I personally prefer to take in OP this way:

1) Newest Viz chapters every Sunday
    2) Find a copy of digital raws the next day and skim, especially going over parts where I was curious for the original Japanese phrasing, jokes, wordplay, etc.
    3) Buy the Viz print/digital and Japanese B&W/color volumes when released or on sale.
    4) Re-read the series in Japanese when purchasing the color volumes.

So for me, it's a good way to appreciate both styles, and when the color volumes have come out a few years after the chapters it's a nice refresher. ...and although I certainly don't need to buy the series in a fifth format, I'm with Captain M in that I would TOTALLY be on board with digital colored volumes released by Viz.

My opinion... Both.

I wish we could have OP DCRs with high resolution (as Bleach ones), so we can enjoy B&W +3000px and also color one +3000px (I don't mind if it is translated or not).

All series deserves a color version, it is so awesome.

Interested in the preservation of the digital manga. If anyone would say there’s is missing or less than 100% portions of the scan what would they be?

Well we didn't get a new volume this month, but it appears Shueisha has finally gone back and added the SBS pages to all the digital volumes prior to vol 69. Can't believe it took them this long, but here we are. Finally we can combine the colour comic with all the extra pages from the physical volumes without having to rely on ancient subpar scans! I have access to most of the volumes, so I'll start doing basic rips of whatever I can over the next few days. Can't say how long it'll take to finish them all though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatfruitydude View Post
    Interested in the preservation of the digital manga. If anyone would say there’s is missing or less than 100% portions of the scan what would they be?
    The new SBS additions are one thing that needs ripping, but I'll be working on that so if I might make a suggestion, we don't have rips for most of the black and white digital volumes. That version is almost exclusively scans, so it might be worth starting an archive for it instead.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

A disappointing correction: Not every volume has been updated yet. The first SBSs in volume 4 still aren't there. Not sure yet how many volumes been done, but it's long overdue that they've at least started adding them. Hopefully it won't take too long before the whole set is done.

EDIT: At a guess, but without having checked every single one of them, it appears to be volumes 1 - 19 that are still missing pages in the digital version. Everything from 20 onwards has full SBS and UGP pages included.

Good news, Captain.

OP volumes needed to be completed for a long time.
    Before we find a way to a proper resolution (+3000px) we need them to fix this issue completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Well we didn't get a new volume this month, but it appears Shueisha has finally gone back and added the SBS pages to all the digital volumes prior to vol 69.
    EDIT: It appears to be volumes 1 - 19 that are still missing pages in the digital version. Everything from 20 onwards has full SBS and UGP pages included.
    Great news, thanks for the update Captain! I was hoping this would eventually happen, as I would love to have them in my own backups. Keeping my fingers crossed that the chunk of early volumes remaining can be done soon...

SBS and UGP pages volumes 20 - 29: https://www63.zippyshare.com/v/Ap5Lj6nF/file.html

Colour volume sepia where available and digital black and white where that's all I had access to. If you want consistency between the two versions it shouldn't take too much fiddling in photoshop to change one to the other. Personally, I prefer black and white, so I'll be making them all that way for my personal archive (throw up a black and white adjustment layer and hit ctrl + L to play with the levels until it looks right). Either way, this is the first time these raws have ever been available digitally, and since the English release drops almost all UGP galleries and most of the SBS questions where a reader sent in a puzzle or game, the first time many of those have been accessible to western fans in a decent quality at all. I've found the fanart strangely charming as I went through this. It's an interesting time capsule of what characters and scenes people were gravitating towards throughout the series run. A highlight is the piece from a young Kohei Horikoshi in volume 23:

Spoiler:

Horikoshi's art of Smoker in the top right

As a side note, though I'm a vocal advocate of supporting the official release, I think it's important to keep raw versions available and archived, and that it's not really the same moral issue as reading a pirated scanlation to do so. Almost all anime and manga fan communities are enriched by bilingual fans who offer commentary and insight into the translations through their knowledge of Japanese. We make theories and find interesting things through comparing different interpretations of the same raw dialogue. For anime only communities this is easy, since even legally obtained subs still give the raw voice tracks at no extra cost. But for manga, where a translation, legal or otherwise, has to replace all the raw text completely to work, it becomes more challenging to do this without resorting to a little piracy. I see it as a grey area.

It would be better for my moral standing if these didn't end up getting used for scanlation, but once they're out in the open there's not much I can do about it.

Next 10 volumes probably next week. I had a head start on this set because of a long weekend, but I won't be that lucky again.

Wow this kind of stuff is awesome. I appreciate your effort and if there is any reason you need to pay for something else to keep up with trying to complete a digital archive I’d be happy to help or if there’s any rather easy tasks I could do lmk

Quote Originally Posted by Thatfruitydude View Post
    Wow this kind of stuff is awesome. I appreciate your effort and if there is any reason you need to pay for something else to keep up with trying to complete a digital archive I’d be happy to help or if there’s any rather easy tasks I could do lmk
    The offer is appreciated, but I'm not going to take money for this. It's shaky enough moral and legal ground before cash gets involved, and I'd probably be doing it anyway for my own reference even if other people weren't interested in having it shared.

Hey Captain, just had some time to redownload some color volumes and for the heck of it I added volumes 1-10 to the download list... when opening them, got pop-up notifications confirming that the book contents had changed (for every volume but #1). Even in #2, they added a page toward the end where they even mentioned that the SBS section was starting, excellent! I purchase through BookLive, not sure if that would make any difference versus wherever you buy your digital volumes, but if you haven't retried volumes earlier than 20 it might warrant another look.

Quote Originally Posted by The AniMan View Post
    Hey Captain, just had some time to redownload some color volumes and for the heck of it I added volumes 1-10 to the download list... when opening them, got pop-up notifications confirming that the book contents had changed (for every volume but #1). Even in #2, they added a page toward the end where they even mentioned that the SBS section was starting, excellent! I purchase through BookLive, not sure if that would make any difference versus wherever you buy your digital volumes, but if you haven't retried volumes earlier than 20 it might warrant another look.
    Had a quick look at volume 4 and saw no change at this point, but it's good to know they're actively working on it.

I have up to the end of Skypiea on eBook Japan and most of the rest on Booklive though, so maybe it's eBook Japan just playing catchup. I'll keep checking as regularly as I find the time to.

(Incidentally I'd love to have everything on Booklive for ease of access, but the difficulty of consolidating book purchases between different official reader sites is a great justification for making offline archives. Having to make a Yahoo Japan account to get back my purchases after Yahoo bought out eBook Japan was a massive headache, and it sucks knowing that unlike the physical volumes which I will have forever, all this digital only stuff is just accessed, not bought, and could be revoked at any time. Legal definitions of ownership for content really have not caught up with the digital age.)

Had a quick look at volume 4 and saw no change at this point, but it's good to know they're actively working on it.

I have up to the end of Skypiea on eBook Japan and most of the rest on Booklive though, so maybe it's eBook Japan just playing catchup. I'll keep checking as regularly as I find the time to.

(Incidentally I'd love to have everything on Booklive for ease of access, but the difficulty of consolidating book purchases between different official reader sites is a great justification for making offline archives. Having to make a Yahoo Japan account to get back my purchases after Yahoo bought out eBook Japan was a massive headache, and it sucks knowing that unlike the physical volumes which I will have forever, all this digital only stuff is just accessed, not bought, and could be revoked at any time. Legal definitions of ownership for content really have not caught up with the digital age.)
    I completely agree on the headache re: multiple official sites, EXACTLY why I started making fair use copies for my own local digital collection some years back, and I especially don't want my purchases to be "in the air" with an acquisition scenario like the one you went through. I joined BookLive at someone's suggestion due to the relative ease of setting up an account as an overseas buyer, so for a long time I had no idea the Japanese digital options were as varied as the North American market. I enjoy that BookLive has a steady rotation of (full!) books available to read for free, it made me wonder if perhaps the other services offered something similar but I've never actually sat down to check them.

Having a busier week than normal, but just checked my volume 4 and can confirm that SBS pages are included at BookLive. Not to be overeager, but as long as I can free up some time this weekend I'd be happy to provide the new pages from volumes 2-19 considering eBook Japan doesn't have them yet.

I completely agree on the headache re: multiple official sites, EXACTLY why I started making fair use copies for my own local digital collection some years back, and I especially don't want my purchases to be "in the air" with an acquisition scenario like the one you went through. I joined BookLive at someone's suggestion due to the relative ease of setting up an account as an overseas buyer, so for a long time I had no idea the Japanese digital options were as varied as the North American market. I enjoy that BookLive has a steady rotation of (full!) books available to read for free, it made me wonder if perhaps the other services offered something similar but I've never actually sat down to check them.

Having a busier week than normal, but just checked my volume 4 and can confirm that SBS pages are included at BookLive. Not to be overeager, but as long as I can free up some time this weekend I'd be happy to provide the new pages from volumes 2-19 considering eBook Japan doesn't have them yet.
    I went with eBook Japan initially (back around when the recap, contents and other front and endpages were first added to the volumes, since I didn't want to meet any other updates) because it seemed to offering higher resolution. Eventually I worked out that their pages aren't actually higher quality, it just lets you zoom in further, so I switched to Booklive for its better reader.

If you've got the time and the means to rip the Booklive updates at a decent quality, please go ahead! You've got at least one person in the thread who'd really appreciate it. I'm going slow at the minute because I've got Pokmon Sword and some other projects eating up my downtime, so it'll be good to keep things moving forward. Still, I hope eBook Japan catches up to Booklive soon.

If you've got the time and the means to rip the Booklive updates at a decent quality, please go ahead! You've got at least one person in the thread who'd really appreciate it. I'm going slow at the minute because I've got Pokmon Sword and some other projects eating up my downtime, so it'll be good to keep things moving forward. Still, I hope eBook Japan catches up to Booklive soon.
    Sorry Captain, didn't have the down time I expected this weekend, but am working on my own re-done copies and will gladly share from those. I'm glad you're appreciative, but just to make sure expectations are set I have no way to actually rip from BookLive, I just take screenshots from the mobile app and crop from there. (If you're aware of any ripping methods, I would be appreciative for that, it would save me time!) Images look to be the same quality as any ripped digital raws (without upscaling), and I obviously don't mind it for my personal collection, but I know some would and I can understand that. I'll post here as soon as I have something from volumes 2-9, then will do 10-19 afterward.

So, uh... maybe I spoke too soon about being delayed? Had a SLOOOOOOW day at work today and decided to go through as many OP volumes as I could, finished the first 19. Just coordinated the pages, figured I'd include all internal "extra" pages just in case, and you can find them here:

https://mega.nz/#!VgJD1Kab!MhPhOOgGK...g36SpkX5NJCCe8

I saved these as .jpgs at quality level 90... the originals were .pngs but were much larger (592 MB), if the file quality is important to you I can also upload a zip of those. Enjoy!

So, uh... maybe I spoke too soon about being delayed? Had a SLOOOOOOW day at work today and decided to go through as many OP volumes as I could, finished the first 19. Just coordinated the pages, figured I'd include all internal "extra" pages just in case, and you can find them here:

https://mega.nz/#!VgJD1Kab!MhPhOOgGK...g36SpkX5NJCCe8

I saved these as .jpgs at quality level 90... the originals were .pngs but were much larger (592 MB), if the file quality is important to you I can also upload a zip of those. Enjoy!
    That is absolutely incredible work! Thanks for putting the time in. I've got a quiet weekend coming up so I'm hoping to drop at least another batch of 10 then (I'm partway through volumes 30 - 39 already). We're suddenly like 30% closer to having everything ripped and ready!

I'm not stressed about a raw png upload. I plan to run some processes to resize them down to the standard 760x1200, and they'll get png'd when I work them into the double page spread format I have everything else archived in. What you've put together here is more than HQ enough for that!

That is absolutely incredible work! Thanks for putting the time in. I've got a quiet weekend coming up so I'm hoping to drop at least another batch of 10 then (I'm partway through volumes 30 - 39 already). We're suddenly like 30% closer to having everything ripped and ready!

I'm not stressed about a raw png upload. I plan to run some processes to resize them down to the standard 760x1200, and they'll get png'd when I work them into the double page spread format I have everything else archived in. What you've put together here is more than HQ enough for that!
    Excellent! I aim for consistency in a collection so I'm glad my contribution works out in a way that's good for your own. That said, I'm really happy I got through 19 volumes so quickly, but it's a little sobering to realize that to update my own copies I still have 50 volumes to go. It's a good thing I love One Piece, haha! Seriously though, your news that the SBS pages were added was something I've waited for since I started buying them back in 2015. Even if I'm copying them a second time, I'm glad this time is complete.

Why did the colored editions get translated if they could just copy the translation from the monochrome version rather than having inaccuracy?

https://www42.zippyshare.com/v/jc6GbQ84/file.html

SBS and extras for volumes 30 - 39. Due to reasons these were ripped at a slightly lower original size than the last batch or the ones that The AniMan did. I don't think it's really noticeable - everything remains perfectly readable - but I thought I'd put it upfront in case someone did a side by side and wanted to call me out. Booklive's online reader has changed in a way that makes it slightly harder for me to automate the process, so I went with a faster option.

This folder (unlike The AniMan's one) doesn't include most of the colouring pages or the colour versions of the random panel/Pandaman closeups placed after the colour spreads. That's because the colouring pages were in the original rips and the panel closeups were in the uploads I did a few pages back in this thread (the one with the scanned SBSs) so it didn't make sense to rip them again. I'll try and get round to another reupload with absolutely everything eventually after the digital sbs rips are complete.

Hi Captain M! Do you have another link sbs 20-39? I don't know how to download on that. Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information