+ Reply to Thread
Page 437 of 439 FirstFirst ... 337 387 427 435 436 437 438 439 LastLast
Results 8,721 to 8,740 of 8773

Thread: My Hero Academia - Grand Theft Mano

Default Re: My Hero Academia - Red Diamond is Crash

To me the biggest failure with this arc was the lack of focus and lack of a clear goal. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what's bad with it and what could be done to improve it.

Horikoshi has always seemed to like building up a world instead of a person's journey. So we get a lot of focus on side-characters and villains. Until now it has mostly worked because the characters we learned about was the rest of the class and the villain alliance - characters we care for and know will stick around. There's been a nice balance between Deku and the class/villains growing. This arc does the same but there's so many individual story-lines that it becomes a mess. Nighteye's disapproval of Deku, quirk-erasing bullets, the Yakuza and Overhaul taking over, Eri, Lemillion, Suneater, Kirishima, a variety of heroes, the villain alliance, Toga and Twice, Deku, going 100%. And to make matters worse I don't really care for a lot of them. Yeah it was fun learning about Suneater but what's that going to accomplish in the long run? Or Lock Rock for that matter. Even important characters like Overhaul and Eri felt uninteresting. It's the return of the Dressrosa problem, to many storylines (many which are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things) competing for spotlight.

There's also been something off with the art. It's been confusing and messy, and the underground setting reminds me of the last arcs of Bleach and Naruto - repetitive and boring. If you're going to set your story in such an environment you either need to vary it up a bit, take full advantage of the environment or make the story lines interesting enough to make up for it.

As for the lack of a clear goal, with most arcs there's always some overarching story binding it all together. Originally it seemed like "Deku proving himself to Nighteye" or "Deku competing against Lemillion" would be it, but like a lot of other things it got buried among all the other plot lines. And as cool as 100% was, I don't feel satisfied with what the hero managed to accomplish.

-

I think to improve the arc Horikoshi would have to cut out a lot and planned it a bit better. The character cast should've been cut down so the only ones in focus are Overhaul, Eri, Lemillion, Nighteye and Deku. Just with those five we already have three big story lines (fate of the Yakuza, Eri's story, Deku fighting for approval) which is more than enough to fill this arc. Give us more reasons to care about these characters, less fighting and more interactions.

It's a shame because it's not a bad arc. There's a lot of things I like about it (Lemillion, Eri) and I hope Eri sticks around as Deku's future side kick. Lemillion's part was excellent. I love how the scenery was used in the finale, with the underground setting being abruptly changed into open skies (thematically representing how Eri was breaking free from Overhaul and that the fight was turning around). I also love Deku and Eri teaming up, allowing him to go 100%. So yeah, not a bad arc, but lackluster and confusing.

I thought Deku's whole point in being involved this arc was more to do with saving a Eri. It seemed to eat him up a bit. Night Eye's approval seemed a tad less important. He mostly seemed to want it because he was All Might's side kick. But he's such a recent addition that nobody had mentioned him until this arc. Even though Deku is practically the ultimate All Might fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    To me the biggest failure with this arc was the lack of focus and lack of a clear goal. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what's bad with it and what could be done to improve it.

Horikoshi has always seemed to like building up a world instead of a person's journey. So we get a lot of focus on side-characters and villains. Until now it has mostly worked because the characters we learned about was the rest of the class and the villain alliance - characters we care for and know will stick around. There's been a nice balance between Deku and the class/villains growing. This arc does the same but there's so many individual story-lines that it becomes a mess. Nighteye's disapproval of Deku, quirk-erasing bullets, the Yakuza and Overhaul taking over, Eri, Lemillion, Suneater, Kirishima, a variety of heroes, the villain alliance, Toga and Twice, Deku, going 100%. And to make matters worse I don't really care for a lot of them. Yeah it was fun learning about Suneater but what's that going to accomplish in the long run? Or Lock Rock for that matter. Even important characters like Overhaul and Eri felt uninteresting. It's the return of the Dressrosa problem, to many storylines (many which are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things) competing for spotlight.

There's also been something off with the art. It's been confusing and messy, and the underground setting reminds me of the last arcs of Bleach and Naruto - repetitive and boring. If you're going to set your story in such an environment you either need to vary it up a bit, take full advantage of the environment or make the story lines interesting enough to make up for it.

As for the lack of a clear goal, with most arcs there's always some overarching story binding it all together. Originally it seemed like "Deku proving himself to Nighteye" or "Deku competing against Lemillion" would be it, but like a lot of other things it got buried among all the other plot lines. And as cool as 100% was, I don't feel satisfied with what the hero managed to accomplish.

-

I think to improve the arc Horikoshi would have to cut out a lot and planned it a bit better. The character cast should've been cut down so the only ones in focus are Overhaul, Eri, Lemillion, Nighteye and Deku. Just with those five we already have three big story lines (fate of the Yakuza, Eri's story, Deku fighting for approval) which is more than enough to fill this arc. Give us more reasons to care about these characters, less fighting and more interactions.

It's a shame because it's not a bad arc. There's a lot of things I like about it (Lemillion, Eri) and I hope Eri sticks around as Deku's future side kick. Lemillion's part was excellent. I love how the scenery was used in the finale, with the underground setting being abruptly changed into open skies (thematically representing how Eri was breaking free from Overhaul and that the fight was turning around). I also love Deku and Eri teaming up, allowing him to go 100%. So yeah, not a bad arc, but lackluster and confusing.
    I'm not seeing you're criticism. It was never about competing against Mirio or trying to prove his worth to Nighteye and I'm not sure what even made you think it was about that. Deku never once gave a single thought of jealously towards Mirio (in fact they seemed to have a good relationship) and aside from his mini test against Nighteye, never cared that he didnt think he was worthy. Ever since the introduction of Eri it was always about foiling their plans and saving her.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xAsum0x View Post
    I'm not seeing you're criticism. It was never about competing against Mirio or trying to prove his worth to Nighteye and I'm not sure what even made you think it was about that. Deku never once gave a single thought of jealously towards Mirio (in fact they seemed to have a good relationship) and aside from his mini test against Nighteye, never cared that he didnt think he was worthy. Ever since the introduction of Eri it was always about foiling their plans and saving her.
    But Eri was introduced after Deku got the internship. Before that point, the arc was mainly focusing on Deku seeing how powerful Mirio is and hearing from Nighteye about how he is not worthy to have One for All. So that started up the question readers were bound to have of who is right and who would be the better successor to All-Might.

Then the alley encounter with Overhaul and Eri happens, and the conflict starts shifting a bit towards if they made the right or wrong choice in letting Eri stay with Overhaul. Deku and Mirio clearly regret it when they learn that she is being experimented on, which indicates that Mirio made the wrong choice. This makes their main plot focus be if they can redeem themselves and still save Eri. Moreso for Mirio because he was the one who made the call.

The story was clearly focusing on Deku and Mirio's differences as aspiring heroes. The juxtaposition with Nighteye criticizing Deku earlier in the arc makes the rescue of Eri tie into the thematic conflict of who the better successor is. We evem got that whole chapter with All-Might admitting that he was supposed to see Mirio instead of Deku, so the theme of who's better was definitely a focus.

Yet once the raid on the Yakuza starts, the whole focus becomes about just saving Eri, as well as Kirishima and Suneater and Eri's Quirk and other things. Deku and Mirio never interact again for the rest of the arc. They are both focused on saving Eri, yes, but the whole successor debate gets buried with no reference to it. Mirio does feel guilty during his fight and loses his Quirk, but none of that ties back to the conflict Nighteye presented. In fact, Deku's fight against Overhaul became about defying fate as another theme to focus on rather than proving himself to be as or more worthy than Mirio. We can assume that he is from our own judgment, but the story exclusively does not tackle that issue.

Whether Deku cared about what Nighteye thought or how he feels towards Mirio doesn't really matter because Horikoshi clearly introduced a thematic conflict that Nighteye and All-Might saw and then neglected to focus on it when the stakes were raised. At best, we'll get some token afterthought from Nighteye about how he was wrong about Deku in the next one or two chapters.

If the arc was never about Deku versus Mirio or Deku proving himself, then why did Horikoshi bother to focus on that before the rescue operation? Why not just stick to only the fate defiance theme or taking responsibility for saving civilians as early as possible no matter the risk? It only makes all of the plotlines juggled in this arc cluttered and detrimental to each other in terms of focus.

That is what Zar is trying to say. The way it barely got focused on only makes Nighteye look like a pretentious douche for the sake of it.
    Last edited by Count Mario; November 14th, 2017 at 02:29 PM.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    But Eri was introduced after Deku got the internship. Before that point, the arc was mainly focusing on Deku seeing how powerful Mirio is and hearing from Nighteye about how he is not worthy to have One for All. So that started up the question readers were bound to have of who is right and who would be the better successor to All-Might.

Then the alley encounter with Overhaul and Eri happens, and the conflict starts shifting a bit towards if they made the right or wrong choice in letting Eri stay with Overhaul. Deku and Mirio clearly regret it when they learn that she is being experimented on, which indicates that Mirio made the wrong choice. This makes their main plot focus be if they can redeem themselves and still save Eri. Moreso for Mirio because he was the one who made the call.

The story was clearly focusing on Deku and Mirio's differences as aspiring heroes. The juxtaposition with Nighteye criticizing Deku earlier in the arc makes the rescue of Eri tie into the thematic conflict of who the better successor is. We evem got that whole chapter with All-Might admitting that he was supposed to see Mirio instead of Deku, so the theme of who's better was definitely a focus.

Yet once the raid on the Yakuza starts, the whole focus becomes about just saving Eri, as well as Kirishima and Suneater and Eri's Quirk and other things. Deku and Mirio never interact again for the rest of the arc. They are both focused on saving Eri, yes, but the whole successor debate gets buried with no reference to it. Mirio does feel guilty during his fight and loses his Quirk, but none of that ties back to the conflict Nighteye presented. In fact, Deku's fight against Overhaul became about defying fate as another theme to focus on rather than proving himself to be as or more worthy than Mirio. We can assume that he is from our own judgment, but the story exclusively does not tackle that issue.

Whether Deku cared about what Nighteye thought or how he feels towards Mirio doesn't really matter because Horikoshi clearly introduced a thematic conflict that Nighteye and All-Might saw and then neglected to focus on it when the stakes were raised. At best, we'll get some token afterthought from Nighteye about how he was wrong about Deku in the next one or two chapters.

If the arc was never about Deku versus Mirio or Deku proving himself, then why did Horikoshi bother to focus on that before the rescue operation? Why not just stick to only the fate defiance theme or taking responsibility for saving civilians as early as possible no matter the risk? It only makes all of the plotlines juggled in this arc cluttered and detrimental to each other in terms of focus.

That is what Zar is trying to say. The way it barely got focused on only makes Nighteye look like a pretentious douche for the sake of it.
    Funny, I always took the talk with All Might as way to say they both could have been good choice but it doesn't matter. Neither ever hace some kind of inferirity complex. There's no Mirio did that stuff that Deku did but in less time. Even when talking with All Might the focus is on the whole All Might is going to die rather than All MIght did not choose Deku. Considering the Zero interest deku put into Nighteyes comment I think the point was at best: "Is Deku good enough?" not "Is Deku better than Mirio?"

When the author(I have to admire commentors that can remember all this names) is trying to set a conflict I think he is pretty damn bold and apparent about it. I&F hate for his father and refusal to use his quirk or the conflict with Windman had clear vocal and visual representation. Of course I couldbe fully and have an akward scene where NIgheyes say that Deku was truly better but for now I'll stick with that conflict was never something the author showed interest in. the future was more a conflict than Mirio.

Don't mess with the Law if you don't have an Ace up your sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Funny, I always took the talk with All Might as way to say they both could have been good choice but it doesn't matter. Neither ever hace some kind of inferirity complex. There's no Mirio did that stuff that Deku did but in less time. Even when talking with All Might the focus is on the whole All Might is going to die rather than All MIght did not choose Deku. Considering the Zero interest deku put into Nighteyes comment I think the point was at best: "Is Deku good enough?" not "Is Deku better than Mirio?"

When the author(I have to admire commentors that can remember all this names) is trying to set a conflict I think he is pretty damn bold and apparent about it. I&F hate for his father and refusal to use his quirk or the conflict with Windman had clear vocal and visual representation. Of course I couldbe fully and have an akward scene where NIgheyes say that Deku was truly better but for now I'll stick with that conflict was never something the author showed interest in. the future was more a conflict than Mirio.
    Actually, I took the conversation as getting into the intricacy of whether or not Mirio may have been a better choice for Deku before Deku suddenly shifts the topic to inspiring All-Might to keep living against fate. The topic even shifts anticlimactically like the story itself doesn't care that Mirio was originally gong to get picked:

Spoiler:

All-Might does say afterwards that the biggest reason for him to keep pushing against All for One was Deku being there for All-Might as an inspiring person who was originally timid and Quirkless. But... that didn't really answer the conflict. At best, it was a subtle way of saying All-Might didn't regret his choice. Which is fine and cool. But the rest of the arc could have dug into the conflict, having Deku and Mirio interact more, and having Nighteye's opinion (outside of fate obstinacy) be proven wrong. Deku being inspired by All-Might was more just reinforcing his opinion, it could still easily be chipped into once the arc's action starts. Yet it's like Horikoshi forgot.

Deku might have not cared or believed Nighteye at first, but so do plenty of heroes when they meet an antithesis who talks smack to them. It's natural when they seem to be doing a good job so far and have been praised by other people they highly respect. Typically, those kinds of stories focus on the heroes encountering situations and making mistakes that have them realize how flawed they really were the whole time. But instead of that, nothing really develops from the conversation with All-Might.

Yeah, I agree that the future thing was more emphasized than if Mirio is better. But even so, that only makes me question why the latter thing even had to happen. It could have easily been replaced with Sir thinking that Deku is merely too much like All-Might in terms of reckless selflessness and preferring Mirio because he is more tactical. Which would tie into the whole "you can't defy fate through sheer willpower" theme. But no, Horikoshi juggled two themes at simultaneous but had one be bigger and quickly devour the other like I wasn't supposed to notice. It's weird and only makes Nighteye look like a bitter chump.

And when I say if Deku is better than Mirio, I also mean if Deku is good enough on his own. I'm using those things interchangeably, either works.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Actually, I took the conversation as getting into the intricacy of whether or not Mirio may have been a better choice for Deku before Deku suddenly shifts the topic to inspiring All-Might to keep living against fate. The topic even shifts anticlimactically like the story itself doesn't care that Mirio was originally gong to get picked:

That whole passage is exactly why I think it was never a thing. The author isn't mister subtlety. Whenever there is a conflict to be seen he jumps right into it. Heck I would even say it him looking for some build-up that tricked you(and me) into going to fast in what he is trying to tell from one-two chapters.

Think about this angle. From what we know now we know Knighteye biggest regret is not finding someone that could change fate so All-Might could live. But is it truly a new thing? Like I say there is no tension or comparison between Deku and Mirio prior to getting to the office. And the first test we get from Knighteye is one where Deku has to beat his visions. The we switch to meeting the girl that will help him do so. Then we hear the story where the focus isn't "All might did not choose me" but "All Might is going to die because destiny"

I think the timeframe is to small for the author to have simply changed his idea and that considering his style it is more likely than his build-up he ended confusing people(including you and me). Mirio is to supportive and Deku to not caring about it for it to have been as a rivalry.

Think of Doffly from Dressrosa where Oda tried to make a complicated character with nature/nurture but constantly shot himselfin the foot with the Doffly was born evil thing. It's more problem in execution than actual conflicting intentions.

Of course maybe I'm completely wrong but how close the chapters and arc are make me believe the plan was always to focus on if Deku can change fate. Remember how we talked how weirdly empty the fight was? It was to set up the belief that he can't change fate except that he proved he can later.
    All-Might does say afterwards that the biggest reason for him to keep pushing against All for One was Deku being there for All-Might as an inspiring person who was originally timid and Quirkless. But... that didn't really answer the conflict. At best, it was a subtle way of saying All-Might didn't regret his choice. Which is fine and cool. But the rest of the arc could have dug into the conflict, having Deku and Mirio interact more, and having Nighteye's opinion (outside of fate obstinacy) be proven wrong. Deku being inspired by All-Might was more just reinforcing his opinion, it could still easily be chipped into once the arc's action starts. Yet it's like Horikoshi forgot.
    I think the solution to the conflict is that they are both good choice but it so happen that it fell on Deku. Which I prefer to that annoying cliché of there's only one person that could do the job right or is special or similar thing where the right person is flawed for no other reason than make the hero the only viable option.

Deku might have not cared or believed Nighteye at first, but so do plenty of heroes when they meet an antithesis who talks smack to them. It's natural when they seem to be doing a good job so far and have been praised by other people they highly respect. Typically, those kinds of stories focus on the heroes encountering situations and making mistakes that have them realize how flawed they really were the whole time. But instead of that, nothing really develops from the conversation with All-Might.
    Obsession of Knighteye changing fate realized by Deku in the following arc.

Yeah, I agree that the future thing was more emphasized than if Mirio is better. But even so, that only makes me question why the latter thing even had to happen. It could have easily been replaced with Sir thinking that Deku is merely too much like All-Might in terms of reckless selflessness and preferring Mirio because he is more tactical. Which would tie into the whole "you can't defy fate through sheer willpower" theme. But no, Horikoshi juggled two themes at simultaneous but had one be bigger and quickly devour the other like I wasn't supposed to notice. It's weird and only makes Nighteye look like a bitter chump.
    I think the iea was that Knighteye was resigned that there was no changing fate and was raising the perfect replacement. But Deku proves changing fate and saving All-Might is still very well possible. It's not about who can replace All-Might they BOTH could but can All MIght be saved which Deku can.

Don't mess with the Law if you don't have an Ace up your sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    That whole passage is exactly why I think it was never a thing. The author isn't mister subtlety.
    Yeah, you're right. But I will say that I would have liked to see a conflict where Mirio and Deku interact more in the arc regardless of Nighteye's feelings. It would have been cool to explore more of how they can agree and disagree on aspects of heroing spawning from that alley encounter with Eri, especially when Mirio is such a cool guy that isn't a token talented jerk like Bakugo. Especially since Mirio's flaw isn't really as obtuse a flaw as these usual situations of "who is the better candidate" are in a hero story, they're both understandably effective and ethical in their own right.

I think my issue, or rather disappointment apparently, moreso lies in how all of that potential didn't get used as more than a footnote whereas the fate thing was the real focus from the start. But it is what it is.
    Last edited by Count Mario; November 14th, 2017 at 08:30 PM.

Spoiler:
    https://m.imgur.com/2mIUPvQ
    Hahaha I was kinda right in my prediction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://mangastream.com/r/my_hero_academia/160/4708/1

To the opportunist goes the spoils

Or

Could you lend a hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Valiantt
    FUCK YOU and Butterflies

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    We still don't know how exactly the anti-quirk bullets are made, except the fact that it contain Eri's blood. If Eri's blood is only a component of but not the actual quirk negation, thing could go this way.
    >Be Shigi
    >Desolated and abused child makes me remember my past. Feels Bad.
    >Decide to "rescue" her just like AFO had "rescued" me.
    >Chisaki's stupid hideout is raid by a bunch of heroes
    >In the chaos take opportunity.
    >Me Twice clone Toga and make the Toga clone become Eri.
    >Sees the Midoriya boy rescuing Eri. Oh no you don't.
    >Causes more chaos to separate them.
    >Make the real Toga became Midoriya and run with the real Eri.
    >Let the heroes take fake Eri.
    >Destroy one of Chisaki arms for the lols
    >"Told ya we where still short one arm, not anymore."
    >Let Chisaki take the fall of the Hero raid
    >Successfully escape.
    >Profit.

Legitime green text here, if you see it there remember me.
    I got wrong in the destiny of Eri but nailed pretty much the rest.
    Good to see Shigi becoming an competent and threatening villain.

So obviously this is a pretty cool, cinematic-ass hit. But the most interesting thing to me is that Toga doesn't appear to have Nighteye unless that flashed back to before the montage.

RIP Snatch, you could have had a better name.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Discovered Stowaway K. Kira XXIII's Avatar

I am glad there was at least one hero with the police. Although, only having one seems incredibly silly considering all the effort they went through to apprehend Chisaki and his thugs.

Could Spinner(sp?) be a traitor to the villains moving forward as the league deviates from Stain's vision.

Chisaki lives, what are the chances he switches sides? I think it depends on how his story with Eri progresses and Eri forgiving him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post

Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku

This should have gone slower, with Overhaul actually emoting about his conversation with Compress, and a few other heroes for the league to wreck.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Grand Theft Auto....Really?
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Mr.Compress is having a fucking blast in this chapter, he is really enjoying seeing Overhaul in this situation.

I like how he used his power, with that rock and how he cutted Overhaul's arm and also I loved that reverence at the end of the chapter.

So now Shigaraki has the anti-quirk bullets...

Yesterday, I finished a reread of this arc and I've got to say, I like it a lot more and would probably put it 3rd or 4th overall.

As for this weeks chapter, I knew that "Two Ochakos" speculation was just fans reading too deep. Good to see Shigaraki coming out on top.

A lot of Overhaul fans gonna hate this chapter.

So Toga isn't Uraraka, just us overthinking. Like the one guy Shigaraki can't grab is named Snatch. Good on you Mr. Compress but I wish Overhauled screamed in pain, dude lost two arms. Interesting development with Spinner but I think it was just a reminder of why a chunk of the league first joined. He seems like the follower type, unless Stain himself tells him the league is wrong the guy isn't going anywhere.

Now if we can see what Black Mist is up to.

NNID: jervinnectar

Everytime the villain leage has a chapter for them the tone of the manga changes so much.

Then we are back to Deku and friends in shonen fantasy world where the light shines brighter and no one really dies.

Well, Nighteye lost an arm and all, but it´s true that someone from the kids side has to die eventually to make the villain threat more serious, not a lot of people, just one or two, like in Hoshi no Samidare for example, it was more than enough.

And about the chapter, it was nice, the league being all friendly with each other is fun to see. Also Overhaul must have been high in sedatives, but it may also be from the shock of having lost everything he worked so hard for.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information