+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: All Out Battle: Best to Worst Characters of OP

Default Re: All Out Battle: Best to Worst Characters of OP

I was hoping for a showdown between Kuma, Doffy and Mihawk :( The oldschool warlord top dogs

Hey, you finally got it up and running!

Excellent!

I don't have time to jump straight into the comparisons right this second, though I'll get to it.

I just wanted to advise you about the layout of the first post, since it's essentially the most important one in the thread.

I'd recommend sitting all the character analyses (already spoilered) into another spoiler tag or a hide tag, cause that bad boy is going to grow exponentially.

Also, when you're displaying the overall rankings by average score, I think also adding in the highest and lowest scores is a bit superfluous and will end up making that part (which is essential to the thread) read like a solid, unbroken block of text, which might inhibit future discussion. I'd stick to just the character name and their average score, maybe even with the scores in italics or brackets or something.

Apart from that, it's looking great, well done bringing back this kind of thread having only been on AP a short while, kudos!

...although as you mentioned, I was one of the chief architects
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

Quote Originally Posted by kcity View Post
    Luffy

Spoiler:
    Simple design, but because of it's simpleness and because of him being the protagonist he stands out a lot more in comparison to other anime/manga protagonists who mostly have same type of anime eyes. I see the Gomu Gomu no Mi, as being part of his desing, making his design that much more unique.

Not much to add about Luffy's character which isn't obvious already, beside that his simple mindedness may be a bit deceptive. Like Luffy skipping over the lies of Nami regarding Usopp etc, when she wanted to 'trick' them into leaving the island. Luffy not making a big deal out of Bellamy bullying him at Mock town. His reliance on his team is also noteworthy and him only acting like a leader where he needs to. it's also cool to see him get exited by 'cool' actions of his friends, like him looking at Chopper as a commander in Franky's robot tank(?) with a lot of admiration.

Story is obviously built around him, revolves around him through his actions and his family and friends are the most notorious people around. I think he gets through situations through sheer luck a few too many times though and still acting careless despite of it. Which kind of makes his promise of becoming a Pirate King etc not as strong of a promise as it should be. Of course this is because of his simple mindedness, but still.

Design: 8
    Character: 9
    Story: 9
    Total: 26

Zoro

Spoiler:
    Fairly simple design, him wielding three katana's makes it look a lot more unique. I don't really like his new outfit, but that's a matter of taste I guess.

Straightforward character. The typical 'acts tougher than he is' type. Honor and dedication is an important thing to him and eventhough he seems to get pissed at Luffy and the others often, he does seem to enjoy his time and he really does rely on them as well. One of the defining moments, I think, is him stepping up as vice-captain at Water 7 when Luffy wants to get Usopp back. I really liked this part. It shows he doesn't mind all the goofiness and craziness but will guard certain lines before they are crossed. Of course the moment with Kuma at Thriller Bark and his willingness to kneel before Mihawk showed his dedication and resolve to the Straw Hats. Him always getting lost and then making fun others for being late, shows he has those fun moments as well. Zoro is pretty much the character everyone can safely rely on when it comes to a fight, he won't be tricked as easy as Luffy nor persuaded by females like Sanji.

His story is very straight forward and his part in the story as well. Beating the 'number two's', keeping Luffy in check, saving the weaker Straw Hats. He's pretty much the only really stable factor around the Straw Hats up till now story wise. Which doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

To me Zoro gets a lot of slack cause him being a swordsman and his 'badass' character seems to be attracting a certain type of fans, which I don't think is fair to Zoro himself.

Design 7
    Character 8
    Story 6
    Total 21

Sanji

Spoiler:
    Simple classy design with the cigarette which fits his personality.

Ladies man obviously, get's competitive when Zoro's around, but otherwise the calm and collected type. Thing to note about it is that it's his ultimate priority in that he won't break that vow even if it means getting the Straw Hats into more trouble like in Enies Lobby. Admirable, but in my opinion his friends should come before that, but at least it worked out well that time. His obvious ladies gag is something you might not like, but I can't hold it against him. Calm and collected when necessary and there's no lady around.

Simple story of wanting to find All Blue for his cooking. Stopped Zoro from judging too quickly regarding Nami, rescued the crew from Crocodile, made sure the crew could escape from Enies Lobby, protected the crew at Dressrosa from Flamingo etc. Had a few important albeit short moments overall.

Design 7
    Character 5
    Story 7
    Total 19
    I do agree that Zoro has more going for him than just being a badass, especially pre-time skip. Zoro just hasn't had much time to show more out of being a strong, confident fighter since the time skip. I'm surprised you gave Sanji a lower character score when he's shown more character overall in the story. Of course, it does depend on how you like the character and the way it was shown. Surprised you gave such a high design to Luffy, but the reasoning is sound.

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Oh man I should be asleep or something.

Luffy - Well he's important, something horribly wrong would have to happen for the main character to not be important. I say this despite FFXII being one of my favourite games ever. As a character, he reeks of typical shounen protagonist. I don't really mind that too much though. He's really charming despite the cliches, and I like a character that's motivated. The whole befriends-everyone-power thing is a bit eh though. I hate his fights, too. They're just so predictable, and I hate the whole concept of haki and gears. He was a million times more interesting to see fight prior to Enies Lobby. He's definitely not a favourite these days. Design wise, he's a qt. I like scars. Scars are a thing for me, I won't delve into it. I think the timeskip gave him an improved design too. I never cared for his sandals though. He has some of the best facial expressions. Oh, and being rubber also helps as it can lead to creative ways to draw him.

Importance: 10/10
    Character: 6/10
    Design: 9/10
    Overall: 25/30

Zoro - I guess he's important? What does he even do, really. He just seems like the strong guy to battle some strong foe and add a bit of seriousness to the crew. As a swordsman, he's not that vital to the crew. As a first mate, I guess he kinda works. I personally feel like Nami is better at taking charge though. As a character, he's aight. I never found him terribly interesting, but he has more depth than I initially thought for some time. His getting lost gag never did anything for me outside of the Skypiea saga though. The whole Tashigi thing is weird too. Being a badass doesn't get points from me either. His fights are less h4x than Luffy, though he still one-shots enemies too much. Such a hit or miss character for me. His design is alright. I like it when he has the bandanna on. His post-timeskip design is also good. Generally good outfits overall. Only complaint is I hate his grin.

Importance: 5/10
    Character: 6/10
    Design: 8/10
    Overall: 19/30

Sanji - He cooks for the crew, so I'd say that's fairly important. Prolly the nicest thing I have to say about him. I think I have a ~20 page thread somewhere in this section that's like half me writing about how much I loathe his character, so the mention of that should say how I feel about him up to Punk Hazard. Since then, I've become extremely satisfied that Dressrosa confirmed him to be a jobber. The pervert crap wasn't as prevalent in Dressrosa, but then again he's been gone for ages now and he can easily go back to that at any second once he's in the story again. Combat wise, he's kinda boring. Learning a CP9 move is impressive, but that makes CP9 even less special so I hate him for that too. Characters aren't supposed to annoy me this much. It's sad, he was one of my favourites before around Thriller Bark. Oh, design. He's hot. The post-timeskip facial hair is awful, but he's still hot. The asymmetrical eyebrow thing was funny, so there's a point. Smoking is gross though, so I'm taking back that point.

Importance: 5/10
    Character: 2/10
    Design: 8/10
    Overall: 15/30

gonna go draw a spiral on some paper and then burn that paper
    Won't argue about the other 2, but the Sanji stuff I really have to disagree with. He's the same as he was the rest of the story, but your hatred seems to amplify the stuff. I'm going to list the stuff that's happened since the time skip.

-Sanji is really happy to see Nami and Robin and has nose bleed
    -Gets googoo eyes at Perona
    -Gets petrified at the sight of Hancock
    -severe bloody nose incident with mermaids
    -goes crazy at site of mermaid princess
    -One time of Sanji in Nami's body
    -Helps out Tashigi
    -Robin coming out of bath
    -Violet

And not all of the moments was he being perverted the entire time, and the times he was being perverted. As for the CP9 stuff, all Vice-admirals and above know the stuff, and Luffy knows the speed techniques, and CP9 won't be that special by the end of the Manga, since they were enemies not even halfway through the story. As far as the jobber stuff, he had a short skirmish with Vergo, and he had trouble with Doflmaingo, who isn't a fodder character, and Law didn't do anything against him. There are only two characters that have had consistent one on one fights and won, Luffy and Zoro. Later on, we'll see the rest of the crew shine, along with Sanji.
    Quote Originally Posted by DollarScholar View Post
    I was hoping for a showdown between Kuma, Doffy and Mihawk :( The oldschool warlord top dogs
    I might do that later. Problem is that I'm waiting for this arc to end before I put down Doffy, as well as certain characters that were introduced this arc. I might do Kuma and Mihawk later, but they have done very little for discussion to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    I do agree that Zoro has more going for him than just being a badass, especially pre-time skip. Zoro just hasn't had much time to show more out of being a strong, confident fighter since the time skip. I'm surprised you gave Sanji a lower character score when he's shown more character overall in the story. Of course, it does depend on how you like the character and the way it was shown. Surprised you gave such a high design to Luffy, but the reasoning is sound.
    I gotta admit that I lowered his score just for the fact that he puts his chivalry before his crew even, where Luffy and Zoro for example seem to sacrifice everything for the crew if necessary. Maybe Sanji's redemption will still come though, he'd go from a 5 to a 7 for me just for that sacrifice alone.

I don't know if Sanji has shown more character than Zoro per se. It's more that his lady-loving personality is more excentric and more noticeable than Zoro's meat head attitude. I finds Zoro's had more defining moments of character with the sacrifice for the crew at Thriller Bark(Sanji being made more into a 'mr. me too' here), the throwing away of his honor for the crew in front of Mihawk and standing up for the better of the crew as a vice captain with Usopp wanting to come back. I guess in terms of depth of character they don't differ that much in my opinion, but because of defining moments and preference of character (more of a dislike of Sanji's priorities) I rate Sanji lower. Which is not that bad considering both their characters get 2's and 3's as well

I gotta admit that I lowered his score just for the fact that he puts his chivalry before his crew even, where Luffy and Zoro for example seem to sacrifice everything for the crew if necessary. Maybe Sanji's redemption will still come though, he'd go from a 5 to a 7 for me just for that sacrifice alone.

I don't know if Sanji has shown more character than Zoro per se. It's more that his lady-loving personality is more excentric and more noticeable than Zoro's meat head attitude. I finds Zoro's had more defining moments of character with the sacrifice for the crew at Thriller Bark(Sanji being made more into a 'mr. me too' here), the throwing away of his honor for the crew in front of Mihawk and standing up for the better of the crew as a vice captain with Usopp wanting to come back. I guess in terms of depth of character they don't differ that much in my opinion, but because of defining moments and preference of character (more of a dislike of Sanji's priorities) I rate Sanji lower. Which is not that bad considering both their characters get 2's and 3's as well
    I can see the whole chivalry thing off putting people, and I can't really argue that, seeing how I hate characters that refuse to kill when it's either that, or everyone else dies. I think it's mostly that his Chivalry hasn't come to when it's either stick with it, or the rest of his crew dies. That would be a cool character development moment. A pretty lady has a number of his crew captive, and unless he does something they will die. He will actually hit the Lady, showing that if push comes to shove, he will hit a Lady, like for Zoro, if he feels like it he will lash out at a weaker enemy. Zoro has had a few stand out moments, but you also got the Mr. Prince, convincing Croc that the crew was taken out, following Robin to the Train, etc. In the end, it comes down to preference, but they both still have their highs and lows.

I can see the whole chivalry thing off putting people, and I can't really argue that, seeing how I hate characters that refuse to kill when it's either that, or everyone else dies. I think it's mostly that his Chivalry hasn't come to when it's either stick with it, or the rest of his crew dies. That would be a cool character development moment. A pretty lady has a number of his crew captive, and unless he does something they will die. He will actually hit the Lady, showing that if push comes to shove, he will hit a Lady, like for Zoro, if he feels like it he will lash out at a weaker enemy. Zoro has had a few stand out moments, but you also got the Mr. Prince, convincing Croc that the crew was taken out, following Robin to the Train, etc. In the end, it comes down to preference, but they both still have their highs and lows.
    Yeah, that would be a really great redemption moment for him. I think in theory the death of Nami could've happened at Enies Lobby with Sanji allowing Kalifa to get away, it's just that the story of course wouldn't allow it. It's indeed dependent on preference, but also in what category do you put which event. The convincing of Croc, the going for the lever to close the doors at Enies Lobby etc, to me those are more Sanji being important for the story line, which is why I rate him a bit higher than Zoro for story. Zoro stopping Luffy to get Usopp back falls into both categories for me for example.

Dang I meant to post in this way earlier! Anyway, here we go, for all the characters so far.

Whitebeard
    Spoiler:
    Design: 6
    Character: 6
    Story: 10
    Total: 22

Design: I'm pretty neutral on the design, I think it's a great fit for the character. He's a big buy with a big crew. You really get a sense of power coming off of the character because of how big and strong he looks, the mustache is a unique touch to his character and helps make him visually distinct.

Character: Not much to say here. He's a carry-over from a previous age, but as a pirate he's not very proactive. The concept that a crew can be a family is definitely seen in the Straw Hats, but with Whitebeard it's taken a bit more literally where he considers all of his crew his children. I feel like most of his character, unfortunately, and most of his presence in the story in general has more to do with the story itself than making him his own, unique man.

Story: About as integral to the story as it gets. Everything about him is related to the story in one way or another. As a character he's linked to the previous age which we didn't see much of, his influence is paramount in the world before his death (and even moreso afterward), and his involvement in Marineford had the most consequences.

Don Krieg
    Spoiler:
    Design: 2
    Character: 2
    Story: 3
    Total: 7

Design: Nothing too much to say here. Honestly half of his character is the armor.

Character: His character is not terribly complex, it's actually pretty solid for what it is. He's everything Luffy's not. A man with great ambition, but no real conviction.

Story: He's not integral to the story, which is why I don't see him ever, ever coming back. His entire existence is due to two things. Hyping the Grand Line, and fleshing out Luffy as a character. So in the end he has more impact on fleshing out the characters, than really any impact on the plot or story.

Franky
    Spoiler:
    Character: 7
    Story: 7

Design: He has a pretty cool and unique design. Oda's definitely gone a long way to making his post TS appearance more organic looking and believable. The fun of Franky is all the different things he can do as a cyborg, which allows Oda to get quite creative with Franky visually. People may not like it, but Franky's hair constantly changing is a good example of this.

Character: I'm biased because Franky's my favorite character, but I really dig his character in general. He's abrasive, loud, and actually fairly flashy. His personal arc is great, too, and it adds a lot of depth to his character. No one would expect a gangster like Franky to actually be as good of a shipwright as Iceberg.

Story: His initial role in the story kicks off the drama of Water 7, because he's initially a villain. After that, he's the one who drives the point home that the Merry will never sail again. Finally, his relevance to the story is his relationship to Tom and the fact he actually has the plans for Pluton. This is pretty big since we've known about the weapon ever since Alabasta, and now we see actual proof of its existence. He burns it, but all of it comes full circle. Franky's importance to the story comes from who he is, and the fact that he's the one who designs the Straw Hats new ship and then joins them as their shipwright they've so desperately needed. Beyond that, like most other Straw Hats, his importance to the story itself dwindles. I should mention, his being a cyborg is really important, but subtle priming by Oda for later on. One Piece as a story gets more technologically advanced as it goes on, but it's done gradually. Later on we see things like lasers and pacifistas, which would be really hard concepts to swallow and out of place in this story if we hadn't already seen Franky.

Shirahoshi
    Spoiler:
    Design: 4
    Character: 3
    Total: 10

Design: Her design is unique, as she's a big mermaid. Visually her design is both large and her hair is somewhat elaborate. Besides those, there isn't really anything to say about her.

Character: She's very, very one dimensional. I don't hate her character, but there's nothing dynamic about it. Poor Otohime had far, far more going on character-wise than her daughter.

Story: She's obviously going to have bigger impact later on, as Poseidon, but for Fishman Island she doesn't have too big of an impact. Her existence is foreshadowed well before Fishman Island, but when we finally get here she doesn't doo too much. She's basically a plot excuse to get Luffy to where Jinbe/Robin/Franky are, and also to brand the Straw Hats as criminals so they can be forgiven later on. She's got a personal connection to Hody, but then the brothers did, too. Her role will most likely expand in the future, but for what we've seen there isn't much.

Rob Lucci
    Spoiler:
    Character: 5
    Total: 18

Design: His human form doesn't have too much going on, but his leopard form is very distinct and looks quite intimidating and feral. Overall his looks compliment both his personality and his ferocity.

Character: As a character Lucci doesn't have too much going on. He's cold and vicious.

Story: Lucci is Luffy's first opponent that doesn't have an inherent advantage over him, in the case of Crocodile, or that Luffy has an advantage of in the case of Enel. However, Lucci is also significant because he's the first main opponent to actually fight Luffy seriously. With Crocodile, he toyed with Luffy the first two times only to get beaten by him the third time, a fight which didn't last too long, and Croc wasn't used to getting hit before. Enel was taken out in one hit by Luffy, too. Lucci on the other hand is Luffy's toughest fight up until this point. Both characters begin the fight pretty much at peak strength, and both go all out. He's also notable as the first Zoan main villain, and actually the only one since. His role in the story is simply to be Spandam's muscle, but he does show us a good idea of what it's going to be like for Luffy moving forward, and the kind of opponents he's going to face in the future.

Luffy
    Spoiler:
    Design: 7
    Character: 10
    Total: 27

Design: His design is simple, which reflects his character. Big eyed as opposed to Zoro who is more sharp eyed. Luffy's design is great because of how simple it is. The Straw Hat and scar serve to make him more visually distinct, and make him more identifiable visually. It's not complex, but it's perfect for the main character.

Character: I think Luffy deserves a 10, but the reason why is kind of complex. As a character Luffy is not hard to understand. He's naive, careless, reckless, but ultimately a good guy at heart. He cares about his friends, and he cares about his adventures. He's not petty, he doesn't opress others, he's truly free spirited. The reason I think his character deserves a 10 is because it's the perfect, unspoiled vehicle through which the audience can view the world. Luffy's naivite is not just about him as a character, it's the effect it has on almost every arc Luffy's involved in. During Arlong, the entire time there's tension between human and fishmen, even Zoro/Sanji/Usopp make fun of fishmen. But Luffy never insults Arlong for being a fishman. During Skypeia, Luffy doesn't give his opinion on who should be God of Skypeia, or picks a side during that war.

The beauty of all this is that Luffy's naive character allows Oda to give the reader a fairly unbiased, unpartial view toward the events going on in the story. If Luffy was more opinionated, our opinions as readers would probably align with his, because he's the main character. Because Luffy doesn't have opinions half the time, we're able to project our own onto the events of the story. Most of all, we can always trust Luffy to be true to himself.

Story: I don't even need to say anything here.

Zoro
    Spoiler:
    Total: 12

Design: His sharper eyes, hair style, and 3 swords make him a fairly unique visually, and it fits his fighting style.

Character: Zoro as a character is a bit unfortunate. He's very similar character-wise to Luffy, which is actually a little surprising for him being the first one to join the crew. Zoro doesn't have too much going on as a character. He's simple and straightforward, but honestly there's not too much depth to him. While he does step up from time to time, like post Enies Lobby and end of Thriller Bark, ultimately there's just nothing going on for Zoro. Most of the hilarity of his character comes from his interactions with others, like his rivalry with Sanji. Ultimately I feel Zoro's attitude is a good contrasting point for the Straw Hats as a crew, as it allows him to be more level headed when the rest of them are being goofy (like when Robin joined). Taken on its own, though, it's just not that interesting. I think a lot of this stems from his arc not being the same as the rest of the Straw Hats. The individual arcs are when the Straw Hats get the bulk of their characterization, after that they don't get character focus much anymore, but Zoro's arc doesn't do too much to build his character the way the other SH's were built.

Story: Not too important to the story, except for his strength. He is our lens toward the world of swordsmanship in One Piece and the possibilities that lie there, but that's not a main focus of One Piece's story, it's just something that fleshes it out more. Zoro is just one part of the puzzle that makes the Straw Hats what they are. On his own, he may not be significant, but taken together with them he helps to complete the picture and fill in the gaps.

Sanji
    Spoiler:
    Total: 21

Design: I like Sanji's design. Always sharply dressed, it contrasts well with the rest of the men in the Straw Hat crew. His eyebrows are unique, but most of all I'd say it's his slim and slender build which compliment his character pretty well.

Character: There's a lot to like about Sanji. As a character he has several facets about him. I hate comparing him to Zoro, but inherently there are more interesting aspects to Sanji on almost every level. His very position in the crew gives him more depth because it's an aspect to his character no one else shares. He's great as comic relief through his rivalry with Zoro, pervert nature, and hotheaded attitude. Sanji is interesting because he doesn't join in on the normal Luffy/Usopp/Chopper gags, but has his own unique gags which give him his own brand of comic relief. He's also prone to using his brain more than the other members of the crew, which is why he does something to sabotage the enemy's operation in the arcs he's in.

Story: Black Leg Sanji actually has some fairly important contributions toward the story in terms of what he does in the arcs he's in. He's usually there to help move along the arc in some way. He manages to get himself involved with the plot of almost every arc, he always has something to do rather than going straight after the villain like Zoro or Luffy would. Messing with crocodile, sabotaging the Maxim, and being the first to figure out Robin's destination are all examples of this.

Yeah, that would be a really great redemption moment for him. I think in theory the death of Nami could've happened at Enies Lobby with Sanji allowing Kalifa to get away, it's just that the story of course wouldn't allow it. It's indeed dependent on preference, but also in what category do you put which event. The convincing of Croc, the going for the lever to close the doors at Enies Lobby etc, to me those are more Sanji being important for the story line, which is why I rate him a bit higher than Zoro for story. Zoro stopping Luffy to get Usopp back falls into both categories for me for example.
    If any of the Straw Hats die, I would see it happening after their dream came true, especially at this point in the story. I can see your points for some of the stuff, but I think Sanji not telling the crew what happened to Zoro, Mr. Prince, and following Robin onto the train showed both character and story parts. It shows that Sanji won't always just rush into the fight, but will be smart about things, and while he may not be a buddy with Zoro, he has respect for Zoro. While I do like the current arc, I am hoping to get through it sooner, mainly because we should be getting to an arc soon which Sanji will shine, which is needed to shut up some of the more annoying fans. The Sanji character development could happen with Big Mom. Even though she's ugly, he refuses to hit her but then she has the advantage, and Sanji has to rescue the rest of the crew, which means he has to fight Big Mom. It probably won't happen, but it would show Sanji can stand up to a Yonkou, as well as show Sanji will break his Chivalry if push comes to shove.

Quote Originally Posted by dailyfiber View Post
    Dang I meant to post in this way earlier! Anyway, here we go, for all the characters so far.

Whitebeard
    Spoiler:
    Character: 6

Design: I'm pretty neutral on the design, I think it's a great fit for the character. He's a big buy with a big crew. You really get a sense of power coming off of the character because of how big and strong he looks, the mustache is a unique touch to his character and helps make him visually distinct.

Character: Not much to say here. He's a carry-over from a previous age, but as a pirate he's not very proactive. The concept that a crew can be a family is definitely seen in the Straw Hats, but with Whitebeard it's taken a bit more literally where he considers all of his crew his children. I feel like most of his character, unfortunately, and most of his presence in the story in general has more to do with the story itself than making him his own, unique man.

Story: About as integral to the story as it gets. Everything about him is related to the story in one way or another. As a character he's linked to the previous age which we didn't see much of, his influence is paramount in the world before his death (and even moreso afterward), and his involvement in Marineford had the most consequences.

Don Krieg
    Spoiler:
    Design: 2
    Character: 2
    Total: 7

Design: Nothing too much to say here. Honestly half of his character is the armor.

Character: His character is not terribly complex, it's actually pretty solid for what it is. He's everything Luffy's not. A man with great ambition, but no real conviction.

Story: He's not integral to the story, which is why I don't see him ever, ever coming back. His entire existence is due to two things. Hyping the Grand Line, and fleshing out Luffy as a character. So in the end he has more impact on fleshing out the characters, than really any impact on the plot or story.

Franky
    Spoiler:

Design: He has a pretty cool and unique design. Oda's definitely gone a long way to making his post TS appearance more organic looking and believable. The fun of Franky is all the different things he can do as a cyborg, which allows Oda to get quite creative with Franky visually. People may not like it, but Franky's hair constantly changing is a good example of this.

Character: I'm biased because Franky's my favorite character, but I really dig his character in general. He's abrasive, loud, and actually fairly flashy. His personal arc is great, too, and it adds a lot of depth to his character. No one would expect a gangster like Franky to actually be as good of a shipwright as Iceberg.

Story: His initial role in the story kicks off the drama of Water 7, because he's initially a villain. After that, he's the one who drives the point home that the Merry will never sail again. Finally, his relevance to the story is his relationship to Tom and the fact he actually has the plans for Pluton. This is pretty big since we've known about the weapon ever since Alabasta, and now we see actual proof of its existence. He burns it, but all of it comes full circle. Franky's importance to the story comes from who he is, and the fact that he's the one who designs the Straw Hats new ship and then joins them as their shipwright they've so desperately needed. Beyond that, like most other Straw Hats, his importance to the story itself dwindles. I should mention, his being a cyborg is really important, but subtle priming by Oda for later on. One Piece as a story gets more technologically advanced as it goes on, but it's done gradually. Later on we see things like lasers and pacifistas, which would be really hard concepts to swallow and out of place in this story if we hadn't already seen Franky.

Shirahoshi
    Spoiler:
    Design: 4
    Total: 10

Design: Her design is unique, as she's a big mermaid. Visually her design is both large and her hair is somewhat elaborate. Besides those, there isn't really anything to say about her.

Character: She's very, very one dimensional. I don't hate her character, but there's nothing dynamic about it. Poor Otohime had far, far more going on character-wise than her daughter.

Story: She's obviously going to have bigger impact later on, as Poseidon, but for Fishman Island she doesn't have too big of an impact. Her existence is foreshadowed well before Fishman Island, but when we finally get here she doesn't doo too much. She's basically a plot excuse to get Luffy to where Jinbe/Robin/Franky are, and also to brand the Straw Hats as criminals so they can be forgiven later on. She's got a personal connection to Hody, but then the brothers did, too. Her role will most likely expand in the future, but for what we've seen there isn't much.

Rob Lucci
    Spoiler:
    Character: 5
    Total: 18

Design: His human form doesn't have too much going on, but his leopard form is very distinct and looks quite intimidating and feral. Overall his looks compliment both his personality and his ferocity.

Character: As a character Lucci doesn't have too much going on. He's cold and vicious.

Story: Lucci is Luffy's first opponent that doesn't have an inherent advantage over him, in the case of Crocodile, or that Luffy has an advantage of in the case of Enel. However, Lucci is also significant because he's the first main opponent to actually fight Luffy seriously. With Crocodile, he toyed with Luffy the first two times only to get beaten by him the third time, a fight which didn't last too long, and Croc wasn't used to getting hit before. Enel was taken out in one hit by Luffy, too. Lucci on the other hand is Luffy's toughest fight up until this point. Both characters begin the fight pretty much at peak strength, and both go all out. He's also notable as the first Zoan main villain, and actually the only one since. His role in the story is simply to be Spandam's muscle, but he does show us a good idea of what it's going to be like for Luffy moving forward, and the kind of opponents he's going to face in the future.

Luffy
    Spoiler:
    Character: 10
    Total: 27

Design: His design is simple, which reflects his character. Big eyed as opposed to Zoro who is more sharp eyed. Luffy's design is great because of how simple it is. The Straw Hat and scar serve to make him more visually distinct, and make him more identifiable visually. It's not complex, but it's perfect for the main character.

Character: I think Luffy deserves a 10, but the reason why is kind of complex. As a character Luffy is not hard to understand. He's naive, careless, reckless, but ultimately a good guy at heart. He cares about his friends, and he cares about his adventures. He's not petty, he doesn't opress others, he's truly free spirited. The reason I think his character deserves a 10 is because it's the perfect, unspoiled vehicle through which the audience can view the world. Luffy's naivite is not just about him as a character, it's the effect it has on almost every arc Luffy's involved in. During Arlong, the entire time there's tension between human and fishmen, even Zoro/Sanji/Usopp make fun of fishmen. But Luffy never insults Arlong for being a fishman. During Skypeia, Luffy doesn't give his opinion on who should be God of Skypeia, or picks a side during that war.

The beauty of all this is that Luffy's naive character allows Oda to give the reader a fairly unbiased, unpartial view toward the events going on in the story. If Luffy was more opinionated, our opinions as readers would probably align with his, because he's the main character. Because Luffy doesn't have opinions half the time, we're able to project our own onto the events of the story. Most of all, we can always trust Luffy to be true to himself.

Story: I don't even need to say anything here.

Zoro
    Spoiler:
    Total: 12

Design: His sharper eyes, hair style, and 3 swords make him a fairly unique visually, and it fits his fighting style.

Character: Zoro as a character is a bit unfortunate. He's very similar character-wise to Luffy, which is actually a little surprising for him being the first one to join the crew. Zoro doesn't have too much going on as a character. He's simple and straightforward, but honestly there's not too much depth to him. While he does step up from time to time, like post Enies Lobby and end of Thriller Bark, ultimately there's just nothing going on for Zoro. Most of the hilarity of his character comes from his interactions with others, like his rivalry with Sanji. Ultimately I feel Zoro's attitude is a good contrasting point for the Straw Hats as a crew, as it allows him to be more level headed when the rest of them are being goofy (like when Robin joined). Taken on its own, though, it's just not that interesting. I think a lot of this stems from his arc not being the same as the rest of the Straw Hats. The individual arcs are when the Straw Hats get the bulk of their characterization, after that they don't get character focus much anymore, but Zoro's arc doesn't do too much to build his character the way the other SH's were built.

Story: Not too important to the story, except for his strength. He is our lens toward the world of swordsmanship in One Piece and the possibilities that lie there, but that's not a main focus of One Piece's story, it's just something that fleshes it out more. Zoro is just one part of the puzzle that makes the Straw Hats what they are. On his own, he may not be significant, but taken together with them he helps to complete the picture and fill in the gaps.

Sanji
    Spoiler:
    Total: 21

Design: I like Sanji's design. Always sharply dressed, it contrasts well with the rest of the men in the Straw Hat crew. His eyebrows are unique, but most of all I'd say it's his slim and slender build which compliment his character pretty well.

Character: There's a lot to like about Sanji. As a character he has several facets about him. I hate comparing him to Zoro, but inherently there are more interesting aspects to Sanji on almost every level. His very position in the crew gives him more depth because it's an aspect to his character no one else shares. He's great as comic relief through his rivalry with Zoro, pervert nature, and hotheaded attitude. Sanji is interesting because he doesn't join in on the normal Luffy/Usopp/Chopper gags, but has his own unique gags which give him his own brand of comic relief. He's also prone to using his brain more than the other members of the crew, which is why he does something to sabotage the enemy's operation in the arcs he's in.

Story: Black Leg Sanji actually has some fairly important contributions toward the story in terms of what he does in the arcs he's in. He's usually there to help move along the arc in some way. He manages to get himself involved with the plot of almost every arc, he always has something to do rather than going straight after the villain like Zoro or Luffy would. Messing with crocodile, sabotaging the Maxim, and being the first to figure out Robin's destination are all examples of this.
    Sanji has triple 7's, so his luck is on the rise! Don Krieg wasn't to bad at the time, but it's one of those things where villains from the beginning were going to be less memorable as the story goes on, at least for One Piece. I remember you talking in depth about how he was the exact opposite of Luffy, and how it worked well in the context of the arc. I feel Black Beard will be a bit more interesting as he will have some similarities to Luffy, but also big differences, and as one of the final opponents, it will be very memorable, especially with the build-up happening. As for the White Beard character part, he wasn't proactive because he didn't care about the treasure. Heck, we see Roger offering him to take him to the place, but White Beard refuses.

Always good to see another Franky fan, because at times he seems under appreciated, and I remember a lot of people disliking his new appearance after the time skip, while I thought it fit his character perfectly. I became big on Franky after seeing him in action during Fish Island and Punk Hazard, and was cemented as my favorite during the random scene in Punk Hazard as he's rolling outside where Law and the Marines are at and everyone does the Super pose with him, well most of them. I like that he's over the top, but can be serious and is actually pretty smart. Agree with Shirahoshi but I always feel like people look down on Lucci as a character when he does the whole blood thirsty thing really well, and when considering the cover story, there is more to him.

I agree Zoro could be better, especially since the time skip. While I still like him anyways, I feel that he could do better, but the problem is that he is surrounded by much better characters, so it is better that he fills the niche of the quiet, badass with some quirks. I always feel that people don't give Luffy enough credit. I was part of a thread on another forum about people talking about the big three, and why One Piece is succeeding compared to the others. There were some comments about how Luffy isn't much of a character compared to the others, and that he's to simple. They seem to miss the small things that show that he is actually pretty good, and that being simple, we can appreciate the rest of the world quite well. Completely agree about Sanji, and can't wait for when he makes his return so people will stop moaning about how he doesn't do anything.

Yeah. Zoro's problem is that honestly he really only rounds out the crew by contrast. He doesn't have any interesting character qualities himself, but since he's paired up with others he's able to bounce his personality off of them. Again, some of his best character moments have been him interacting with other characters.

I seriously think people fail to grasp how awesome Luffy's character is. His simplicity is the best thing for him as a main character. It seriously blows my mind, even now, that he doesn't say a single thing against Arlong for being a fishman. Not even once, and it says a lot about him because that entire arc had an undertone of fishmen/human relations. He doesn't ever take a stance on things, which is the best part about Luffy in my opinion.

Yeah. Zoro's problem is that honestly he really only rounds out the crew by contrast. He doesn't have any interesting character qualities himself, but since he's paired up with others he's able to bounce his personality off of them. Again, some of his best character moments have been him interacting with other characters.

I seriously think people fail to grasp how awesome Luffy's character is. His simplicity is the best thing for him as a main character. It seriously blows my mind, even now, that he doesn't say a single thing against Arlong for being a fishman. Not even once, and it says a lot about him because that entire arc had an undertone of fishmen/human relations. He doesn't ever take a stance on things, which is the best part about Luffy in my opinion.
    I think part of the problem for a lot of people with Luffy is that they think Complex=better. This is why there are people who like Ichigo better than Luffy, because he's not straightforward about everything, therefore he's complex and better. It was amazing how many people thought Luffy has no motivation and lacks any character. Apparently being the King of Pirates isn't a motivation for some people. There are more complex characters than Luffy, but when writing a fictional world like this, the main character needs to be simple enough that people like, but not so complex that it takes away from concentrating on the overall world. I do like how Luffy won't use race or other superficial things to mock an opponent, or even a reason to not like them. It's he likes you because you are friendly to him, or he's going to get you because you are a bad person.

Damn, I've been waiting this thread to come - somehow I noticed it only now but I did spend a week abroad and this week I'm been pretty sick and mostly stayed in the chapter thread so maybe that's why.
    Also, can you still rate Krieg, Shira and CO who's name is already under the Overall rankings?

Anyway, gonna give my thoughts about monster trio now. Add others if you still accept reviews of them...

Luffy

Spoiler:
    Design: I like Luffy's design, even if it isn't that unique. However, his rubber power influences directly to his body and therefore designand makes him a bit more unique looking. I don't really love his outfit choices but they fit his personality and although I started to care about his straw hat a little bit less when it was revealed it used to belong to Roger, I still like it. My favourite thing about his appearance, however, is definitely his scars. They grant him an extra 2 points to his desings. Points 7

Character:
    I can't help but to love Luffy's personality. His stupidity and childish nature has given me many laughs through the series and it's funny to see him getting scolded and punched his crewmates when he gets them into trouble. I like his fighting style since, although he is a devil fruit user, his power wouldn't be that useful i he wasn't also strong physically. This is very different from many fruits that give them owners an auto boost solely by being eaten. Luffy's loyalty and love to his own crew is also great, but then again it might be hard to root to a protagonist who treats their crew like crap. I think my biggest issue is that even after losing his brother he didn't get any more serious. True, he'd might not be as lovable if he lost some of that child likeness of his but it still seems a bit weird for me. Overall I love his character and found him one of the most funny/entertaining characters in the series. Points 8

Story: Without Luffy there would not be this story. Just about everything in One Piece revolves around him - if not directly, indirectly. I dont think there is no need to bring up more arguments about this matter. Points 10

Total: 25/30

Sanji

Spoiler:
    Design: His formal dressing style is not very common, at least among pirates so even if his facial features aren't very interesting, his design isn't that dull. Time skip made his design a little more interesting with his new facial hair, and I do like his hairstyle and spiral eyebrows. Points 7

Character:
    I liked Sanji when he was first introduces. He was a ladies man but he didn't seem that much like a pervert. Mr Prince is one of my favourite moments in Alabasta arc and his constant fighting with Zoro is extremely amusing. His character unfortunately dropped in my eyes, first in the EL because of the Kalifa thing, which was however mostly redeemed by him opening the gates and allowing them to escape, and later on FI he got super annoying because of the constant nose bleeding and there was some things about his interaction with Violet that annoyed me but after FI he has been mostly okay with some nice moments in PH. About his fighting style - I like how he values his hands and mainly uses his legs when he fights. My favourite things about Sanji revolve around his wanted poster however. His reaction to drawing of his photo and the stuff with Duval in Sabaody was priceless. Overall Sanji has had some amazing moments but unfortunately there has also been lots of things I don't like at all, which is why I cannot give as high score as I would want to. Points 6

Story:
    The importance of Sanji's dream could be argued story-vice since All blue most likely hasn't got that much value aside from his profession or fisherman. However, Sanji has done many things that have helped story progress or that have helped Strawhats to surprise their opponents. In Little Garden, by impersonating MR 3 in the snail phone he found out about Crocodile's plans and allowed him to lie Croc that Strawhats were not a problem which helped them to sail more safe to Arabasta. Also, since he didn't meet up with Bon Kurei on the ship, they were able to fool Baroque works about the number of their members which allowed Sanji pull the Mr. Prince thing and save SH's that were captured by Croc. In Eniel Lobby he sneaked into the train Robin was and left Nami a message to find about his whereabouts and eventually opened the gates that they could escape from EL. His background doesn't seem to have any major connection to the important events relevant to the current timeline but it was still nice flashback. As a cook, however, he is a important key member in the crew and with the cooking tips he got from the okama's he is more vital for the crew than ever. Points 9

Zoro

Spoiler:
    Desing: His design is, with rest of the monster trio, not all that unique. I like his hair color and the little detail of three earrings and three swords. Like with Luffy, my favourite things about Zoro's design is the scars. Makes him look tougher and more manly I guess. The way he dresses, I have no real opinion about it. I was indifferent about Haramaki and his post time skip outfits aren't very interesting in my opinion. I really did love his Skypia wear, though. Especially the goggles. I want the goggles back plz. Points 7

Character: I loved Zoro's personality pre time skip. He was back then already kinda the cool and silent type but he had his less serious and funny moments. His awful sense of direction, which has been present after TS as well, even if not on same scale, random moments like his Tarzan call in Skypia, his interaction with Perona+times he got Nega-hollowed, his reactions to Kaku's DF, his fighting with Sanji etc. Also, even when he had his cool moments he didn't seem as cocky as he is now. When Usopp left the crew he was the one who used his head and didn't let emotions to get in the way of seeing how things were. Him offering himself to Kuma instead of Luffy is still one of most badass/epic moments in OP. After timeskip he's been pretty one-dimensional but there has been very little developement with any of the SHs so I'm not going to be that harsh about it. My biggest problem with Zoro still remains how, opposed to his flashback, he threats women. Sure, he's not anywhere as near as I can't hit a woman as Sanji but it feels like his "there are things I don't like to cut", is a big slap to Kuina's face. She whined how it was unfair that she can't be the strongest because she's a girl and Zoro said he doesn't five a fuck as long as one of them is going to be the strongest.
    Still gonna give him a pretty good score because I still find Zoro's fighting style one of my favourites among the strawhat crew and I'm hopeful Zoro gets rid of at least some of that Mihawk-smug rubbed in the next arc. Points 8

Story:
    Zoro's goal is ultimately one of the biggest in OP, but just as Sanji's, his dream doesn't serve that much purpose besides himself, and sure, it'll be cool that Pirate King's (I may get killed or using this term but whatever, couldn't come up with other term) first mate is the best swordsman in the world and people will talk about it but that's it. When thinking the story so ar and Zoro's importance in it, his interaction with Kuma has by far been easily the most crucial one. He saved Luffy's life and took the pain like a man. Beside that there is nothing huge that comes to mind. He did save Usopp from Jabra when he fell to the Garden with Kaku when the floor collapsed and saved Tashigi from Monet (but didn't finish her of which is why she almost managed to blow the island with them) and little things like that. I think he did actually come up with the idea to do the double marking in Arabasta so that they would recognize each other in case Mr 2 would try to pretend to be one of the SH's. So far Zoro has been useful mostly in fights, hopefully there will be more for him in the future. Points 7

Last edited by creeperqueen; August 8th, 2014 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by creeperqueen View Post
    Damn, I've been waiting this thread to come - somehow I noticed it only now but I did spend a week abroad and this week I'm been pretty sick and mostly stayed in the chapter thread so maybe that's why.
    Also, can you still rate Krieg, Shira and CO who's name is already under the Overall rankings?

Anyway, gonna give my thoughts about monster trio now. Add others if you still accept reviews of them...

Luffy

Spoiler:
    Design: I like Luffy's design, even if it isn't that unique. However, his rubber power influences directly to his body and therefore designand makes him a bit more unique looking. I don't really love his outfit choices but they fit his personality and although I started to care about his straw hat a little bit less when it was revealed it used to belong to Roger, I still like it. My favourite thing about his appearance, however, is definitely his scars. They grant him an extra 2 points to his desings. Points 7

Character:
    I can't help but to love Luffy's personality. His stupidity and childish nature has given me many laughs through the series and it's funny to see him getting scolded and punched his crewmates when he gets them into trouble. I like his fighting style since, although he is a devil fruit user, his power wouldn't be that useful i he wasn't also strong physically. This is very different from many fruits that give them owners an auto boost solely by being eaten. Luffy's loyalty and love to his own crew is also great, but then again it might be hard to root to a protagonist who treats their crew like crap. I think my biggest issue is that even after losing his brother he didn't get any more serious. True, he'd might not be as lovable if he lost some of that child likeness of his but it still seems a bit weird for me. Overall I love his character and found him one of the most funny/entertaining characters in the series. Points 8

Story: Without Luffy there would not be this story. Just about everything in One Piece revolves around him - if not directly, indirectly. I dont think there is no need to bring up more arguments about this matter. Points 10

Sanji

Spoiler:
    Design: His formal dressing style is not very common, at least among pirates so even if his facial features aren't very interesting, his design isn't that dull. Time skip made his design a little more interesting with his new facial hair, and I do like his hairstyle and spiral eyebrows. Points 7

Character:
    I liked Sanji when he was first introduces. He was a ladies man but he didn't seem that much like a pervert. Mr Prince is one of my favourite moments in Alabasta arc and his constant fighting with Zoro is extremely amusing. His character unfortunately dropped in my eyes, first in the EL because of the Kalifa thing, which was however mostly redeemed by him opening the gates and allowing them to escape, and later on FI he got super annoying because of the constant nose bleeding and there was some things about his interaction with Violet that annoyed me but after FI he has been mostly okay with some nice moments in PH. About his fighting style - I like how he values his hands and mainly uses his legs when he fights. My favourite things about Sanji revolve around his wanted poster however. His reaction to drawing of his photo and the stuff with Duval in Sabaody was priceless. Overall Sanji has had some amazing moments but unfortunately there has also been lots of things I don't like at all, which is why I cannot give as high score as I would want to. Points 6

Story:
    The importance of Sanji's dream could be argued story-vice since All blue most likely hasn't got that much value aside from his profession or fisherman. However, Sanji has done many things that have helped story progress or that have helped Strawhats to surprise their opponents. In Little Garden, by impersonating MR 3 in the snail phone he found out about Crocodile's plans and allowed him to lie Croc that Strawhats were not a problem which helped them to sail more safe to Arabasta. Also, since he didn't meet up with Bon Kurei on the ship, they were able to fool Baroque works about the number of their members which allowed Sanji pull the Mr. Prince thing and save SH's that were captured by Croc. In Eniel Lobby he sneaked into the train Robin was and left Nami a message to find about his whereabouts and eventually opened the gates that they could escape from EL. His background doesn't seem to have any major connection to the important events relevant to the current timeline but it was still nice flashback. As a cook, however, he is a important key member in the crew and with the cooking tips he got from the okama's he is more vital for the crew than ever. Points 9

Zoro

Spoiler:
    Desing: His design is, with rest of the monster trio, not all that unique. I like his hair color and the little detail of three earrings and three swords. Like with Luffy, my favourite things about Zoro's design is the scars he got from Mihawk. Makes him look tougher and more manly I guess. The way he dresses, I have no real opinion about it. I was indifferent about Haramaki and his post time skip outfits aren't very interesting in my opinion. I really did love his Skypia war, though. Especially the goggles. I want the goggles back plz. Points 7

Character: I loved Zoro's personality pre time skip. He was back then already kinda the cool and silent type but he had his less serious and funny moments. His awful sense of direction, which has been present after TS as well, even if not on same scale, random moments like his Tarzan call in Skypia, his interaction with Perona+times he got Nega-hollowed, his reactions to Kaku's DF, his fighting with Sanji etc. Also, even when he had his cool moments he didn't seem as cocky as he is now. When Usopp left the crew he was the one who used his head and didn't let emotions to get in the way of seeing how things were. Him offering himself to Kuma instead of Luffy is still one of most badass/epic moments in OP. After timeskip he's been pretty one-dimensional but there has been very little developement with any of the SHs so I'm not going to be that harsh about it. My biggest problem with Zoro still remains how, opposed to his flashback, he threats women. Sure, he's not anywhere as near as I can't hit a woman as Sanji but it feels like his "there are things I don't like to cut", is a big slap to Kuina's face. She whined how it was unfair that she can't be the strongest because she's a girl and Zoro said he doesn't five a fuck as long as one of them is going to be the strongest.
    Still gonna give him a pretty good score because I still find Zoro's fighting style one of my favourites among the strawhat crew and I'm hopeful Zoro gets rid of at least some of that Mihawk-smug rubbed in the next arc. Points 8

Story:
    Zoro's goal is ultimately one of the biggest in OP, but just as Sanji's, his dream doesn't serve that much purpose besides himself, and sure, it'll be cool that Pirate King's (I may get killed or using this term but whatever, couldn't come up with other term) first mate is the best swordsman in the world and people will talk about it but that's it. When thinking the story so ar and Zoro's importance in it, his interaction with Kuma has by far been easily the most crucial one. He saved Luffy's life and took the pain like a man. Beside that there is nothing huge that comes to mind. He did save Usopp from Jabra when he fell to the Garden with Kaku when the floor collapsed and saved Tashigi from Monet (but didn't finish her of which is why she almost managed to blow the island with them) and little things like that. I think he did actually come up with the idea to do the double marking in Arabasta so that they would recognize each other in case Mr 2 would try to pretend to be one of the SH's. So far Zoro has been useful mostly in fights, hopefully there will be more for him in the future. Points 7

I'm still accepting others. I'll keep all of them up for know because there are others that still want to do it, but need time to get ready. Once this thread starts to have regular posters, I'll start moving the pace a little more.

If any of the Straw Hats die, I would see it happening after their dream came true, especially at this point in the story. I can see your points for some of the stuff, but I think Sanji not telling the crew what happened to Zoro, Mr. Prince, and following Robin onto the train showed both character and story parts. It shows that Sanji won't always just rush into the fight, but will be smart about things, and while he may not be a buddy with Zoro, he has respect for Zoro.
    Yeah I know it won't happen, I just meant that as in Sanji couldn't have known what would happen to the crew and put the crew at risk by putting his chivalry ahead of everything. You're right about those events you mentioned being a character trait of Sanji, which resulted in influencing the story. I guess everytime a crew mate heavily influences the story, it's pretty much always a result of their character in action. Both Sanji and Zoro definitely respect eachother. Their rivalry is mostly a gag to me, at least until Oda decides he wants to use it for some more turmoil within the crew for story reasons.

While I do like the current arc, I am hoping to get through it sooner, mainly because we should be getting to an arc soon which Sanji will shine, which is needed to shut up some of the more annoying fans. The Sanji character development could happen with Big Mom. Even though she's ugly, he refuses to hit her but then she has the advantage, and Sanji has to rescue the rest of the crew, which means he has to fight Big Mom. It probably won't happen, but it would show Sanji can stand up to a Yonkou, as well as show Sanji will break his Chivalry if push comes to shove.
    I definitely would like to see Sanji in the spotlight some more, I doubt he'll be fighting Big Mom though, but who knows. With Big Mom loving food, I'd personally love to see Sanji showing off his cooking skills in some way.

Zoro

Character: Zoro as a character is a bit unfortunate. He's very similar character-wise to Luffy,

Hey, did you make a mistake here?

Anyway, Zoro also had that snarky edge to him, as seen when he gets on Sanji nerves. It seems that Law has replaced Zoro (for now) as the serious comic relief foil, not sure if you probably already said that.

And I never noticed that fishmen thing. Wow, that blew my mind. When Arlong asked Luffy about the difference between them, all Luffy thought was "nose? Webbed feet?".

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary View Post
    Hey, did you make a mistake here?

Anyway, Zoro also had that snarky edge to him, as seen when he gets on Sanji nerves. It seems that Law has replaced Zoro (for now) as the serious comic relief foil, not sure if you probably already said that.

And I never noticed that fishmen thing. Wow, that blew my mind. When Arlong asked Luffy about the difference between them, all Luffy thought was "nose? Webbed feet?".
    Should have been more specific. What I meant to say is, taken on his own I don't find Zoro interesting as a character. My favorite character moments with him are when he's playing off of someone else or whenever he's played for comedy. Any Sanji scene i'm going to love, or when he was fooling around on Skypiea when Nami and Robin were there. Or in serious moments like when he's talking to the crew about Usopp and whether or not he should come back. When he's on his own though, like when he fights villains, the whole "badass" thing goes completely over my head. Like his Pica fight right now.

In a few cases we've seen, the second in command acts as a bit of a foil to the captain. I get the impression Rayleigh's a bit more reserved than Roger, he probably wasn't reckless or just rushed into things without thinking. Ben Beckman is definitely different than Shanks in a similar regard. With Luffy and Zoro though, they're both very similar to each other. They're simple and one-track minded, value brawn over brains, love to fight, a bit insensitive, but ultimately they have pure hearts. There's even a parallel between their love of Meat and Alcohol. While it is true Zoro's snarky and serious, at his core he's not too dissimilar from Luffy. It's part of why I don't find him too interesting on his own, because he doesn't have too many qualities to me that mke him stand out the way some of the other straw hats do.

Should have been more specific. What I meant to say is, taken on his own I don't find Zoro interesting as a character. My favorite character moments with him are when he's playing off of someone else or whenever he's played for comedy. Any Sanji scene i'm going to love, or when he was fooling around on Skypiea when Nami and Robin were there. Or in serious moments like when he's talking to the crew about Usopp and whether or not he should come back. When he's on his own though, like when he fights villains, the whole "badass" thing goes completely over my head. Like his Pica fight right now.
    Personally I see Sanji the same way, playing off of women in general, which is mostly for comedy. Whenever they're alone, both Zoro and Sanji are rational people, it's just that Zoro is the dumb rational one.

In a few cases we've seen, the second in command acts as a bit of a foil to the captain. I get the impression Rayleigh's a bit more reserved than Roger, he probably wasn't reckless or just rushed into things without thinking. Ben Beckman is definitely different than Shanks in a similar regard. With Luffy and Zoro though, they're both very similar to each other. They're simple and one-track minded, value brawn over brains, love to fight, a bit insensitive, but ultimately they have pure hearts. There's even a parallel between their love of Meat and Alcohol. While it is true Zoro's snarky and serious, at his core he's not too dissimilar from Luffy. It's part of why I don't find him too interesting on his own, because he doesn't have too many qualities to me that mke him stand out the way some of the other straw hats do.
    I don't really see Ben Beckman and Shanks being that much different, 'even' less so than Luffy and Zoro. From what I've seen of Shanks and Beckmann, they're both pretty intelligent calculating people. I get that Zoro has some similarities with Luffy but there's more contrasts than similarities. Zoro is mostly serious where Luffy isn't, just that Zoros makes dumb calls, he clearly uses thinking over feeling though. Luffy being interested in pretty much everything while Zoro always prefers to distance himself from those same people and things is another. Their very different character is also apparent when they're fighting. Luffy comes off goofy and naive a lot eventhough he's very strong, while Zoro can come off as extremely intimidating in comparison. For example their very different approach when they fight with Monet. Zoro arrogantly smiling, intimidating Monet, where Luffy smiles like a child when he finds a way out. Eventhough they both are simple minded, Luffy uses his feelings to judge situations, where Zoro uses mostly his reasoning in a lot of situations. The return of Usopp just being the most obvious one.

I can see why the whole idea of chivalry turning people away from Sanji, but in a similar way (but to a lesser extent) where Zoro threw away his honor to Mihawk, Sanji voluntarily put himself through his definition of "hell" for two years in order to improve himself and learn what he could from the Newkamas and Ivankov. He chose to accept the challenge in order to improve both his fighting skills as well as to learn to cook the special Newkama cuisine. Again this is a lesser sacrifice than Zoro made with his honor, but he still subjected himself to the "tortures" he would face in the Kamabakka Kingdom where as the others were either forced to train (Usopp, Brook to some degree) or were training in places they were comfortable (Nami, Franky). I think because it is fairly comical people don't think about the fact that Sanji voluntarily made this sacrifice and they downplay the weight of him training two years through his own personal hell .

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alligator View Post
    I can see why the whole idea of chivalry turning people away from Sanji, but in a similar way (but to a lesser extent) where Zoro threw away his honor to Mihawk, Sanji voluntarily put himself through his definition of "hell" for two years in order to improve himself and learn what he could from the Newkamas and Ivankov. He chose to accept the challenge in order to improve both his fighting skills as well as to learn to cook the special Newkama cuisine. Again this is a lesser sacrifice than Zoro made with his honor, but he still subjected himself to the "tortures" he would face in the Kamabakka Kingdom where as the others were either forced to train (Usopp, Brook to some degree) or were training in places they were comfortable (Nami, Franky). I think because it is fairly comical people don't think about the fact that Sanji voluntarily made this sacrifice and they downplay the weight of him training two years through his own personal hell .
    Well, personally, as much I hated the nose bleed thing, I can somewhat understand and accept it. For me the biggest problem with Sanji's chivalry has always been, and oh God do I hope it will stay that way, is refusing to do anything against Kalifa even when Robin's life was in danger. For me, no matter how much chivalry is part of Sanji's character, it was somewhat unacceptable.

But enough of Sanji, I had 5 more characters to rate and I update them to this post when I finally get Grieg and Lucci done...

Whitebeard
    Spoiler:

Design: Whitebeard's design never left me that much of an impression. I do like his mustache, and the scars really show that the old man had gone through a lot during his life as a pirate. His big size made him stand out and I liked his hair when he was young. Other that that his character design remains somewhat uninteresting. Points 6

Character: I really loved the family theme that was going on with Whitebeard. Even before MF it was clear to the reader that you should not mess whit his family – commanders hunting down their subordinates who betrayed(killed) their own people as we saw with Ace and Buggy later saying that killing a member of the Whitebeard pirates will pretty much lead to your own death. The biggest fault about Whitebeard, however, is connect to this avenge your nakama mentality. When he has his conversation with Shanks who warns him about Blackbeard and how he shouldn't have let Ace go after him, WB tells him off. This made the readers (and anime watchers) believe that Whitebeard just really trusted his crew and seemed sure that Ace could handle it, which was however proven false during the war that Newgate told Ace not to go but Ace refused to listen since Blackbeard had to pay for killing Thatch. We saw all those assassination attempts Ace made towards WB before he joined – he couldn't give him even a scratch! Surely Whitebeard could have stopped Ace from going but he didn't. If he wanted both get revenge and to protect Ace, why he didn't someone else go with him? Even if his intentions with all this were surely good, it lead to their deaths.
    Still, even with this miscalculations Whitebeard still remains as an important and great character with epic fighting power and incredible stamina, taking down enemies in MF like nothing and tanking so much damage during the war.His fruit was also really powerful and it is interesting to see in the future how BB will use it combined with his darkness powers. Pops will be missed, at least by me. Points 9

Story: We don't learn that much about Whitebeard since even in the war he isn't the main focus.What we do know is that he used to rivals with Roger and was after Roger's death considered the strongest man alive. We do know that even as a young fellow he didn't show that much interest towards treasures but valued more his crew mates and considered them, not only comrades but family. His death wasn't that shocking because many people expected it to happen, even before we got our first important main timeline character death with Ace, but his death left a HUGE impact to the world; Black beard took his place as the 4th yonko, FI became Big moms territory and all the places that used to be under old man's protection were conquered by other pirates.Unfortunately, the time we saw him was short and there are still many things that I would have liked to know about him. Hopefully, when we next time meet the remaining Whitebeard pirates, we also learn more about their deceased captain. Points 8

Total: 23/30

Shirahoshi
    Spoiler:

Design: It was said that the mermaid princess was supposed to be like the most beautiful person there was, but when you realize she was supposedly locked to the tower for years and that she is still so young, the context is kinda creepy. Shirahoshi is indeed really pretty but she suffers from the oh so common ”Oda's sameface-syndrome” and there for her unique points drop a bit. She also seems overly sexualized in terms of age but other than that I actually really enjoy her design. I really like her hair decoration, pearls on her waist and I definitely want lovely pair of similar looking shell earrings that she has. But what I love the most about her design are the colours. Pink and yellow fit together perfectly and her blushy cheeks make her look a little less like a Nami copy. Points 8

Character: I didn't really mind it that much in the Manga but Anime made it worse. Her whining and crying that is. It is understandable that when your mother gets shot and some crazy guy tries to kill you with his ax if you don't marry him and you get locked to a tower to be safe you might not be exactly the bravest fish in the sea but what was unforgivable was the fact that she KNEW who KILLED her MOTHER but no, she decides to tell no-one and almost gets everyone killed because of stupid decision. Just imagine if something would have delayed Straw hats day or two and there had been no one to take care of Hody's plan. Great work Shira! But I haven't lost completely my faith in her and hopefully she keeps her promise and is less of a baby when she'll meet Luffy again. Points 3

Story: Shirahoshi's decision to not tell about Hody pretty much leads to the events of FI, so you can't deny her influence to the arc. She doesn't get much done in the arc but her ability helped them to stop Noah from falling so that Luffy's didn't need to destroy the entire ship and the reveal that Shirahoshi is the ancient weapon Poseidon will surely play bigger part in the story later. Especially since Caribou find out about it and will probably share the information to someone else later in the story. Shira may have not done much yet but she will most likely be extremely important to the plot later in the series.Point 8

Total: 19/30

Rob Lucci
    Spoiler:

Design: Cp9 designs were always some of my favourite ones and Lucci isn't an exception. Cool top hat, tie, beard that makes him 'not that unique'face look pretty different from other characters and he has his own little personal sidekick AND accessory in Hattori. C'mon, pirates with parrots are so last season – obviously the ex-government officials with pigeons is way more epic. And don't get me started on Lucci's looks when he is on his Zoan form. That cold personality of his combined with the form of a merciless beast is so fitting and badass. Plus, I think he was wearing suspenders in the beginning of Water 7. That grants an extra +1 point from me. Points 10

Character: Lucci is a character with rather limited facial expression and characteristics but he has been trained to kill since he was a child and that little flashback about him showed us that only strength matters to him. If you can't protect your people you don't deserve to live. He may not have such an interesting personality as the other cipher poll members but his lack of emotion and quirks makes him seem more dangerous and merciless. He may not be the most diverse and compelling character but I like him. The poor guy just has bad people skills but obviously has soft spot for animals. Pigeons > people anyway so can you really blame him? I won't. Points 8

Story: His role and influence to the plot during W7 wasn't that big, though the reveal that he was involved with Iceburg's assassination plan did shock a bit, although it was under-shadowed because more likeable character like Kaku was involved too. In EL he decided not to harm Gonbe and Chimney, which allowed them to save Luffy from the water and show him the way to Lucci, which was important part of saving Robin. Although Spandam played the role of the despicable villain during the EL, Lucci was the main fighter of CP9 and physically the most formidable person in the Arc. He pushed Luffy to his limits and gave us one of the best fights so far and he was the first person that made Luffy use Gear 3. But have we seen the last of Lucci yet? I have a feeling he was one of the shadowed characters during PH broadcast so he may become important again in the future. Points 8

Total: 26/30

Franky
    Spoiler:

Design: I really loved Franky's design before the time skip. His hair was awesome just like shirt and speedo. His arms were already rather big but not enough to bother me. In fact, I thought it fit his street-thug image really well. It all changed for the worse after time skip. Although there was some cool modifications, like his nipple lights, Oda went too far with the size of his arms, his shirt - even if style didn't really change that much, just didn't seem as super as before. Worst was his hair, that awfully short one he had when TS was over but thankfully there was the whole button that allows him to change his hairstyle in just few seconds. Most of his other styles have actually been pretty nice, though his Pre-TS hair still remains the best and I do miss it. If I had done the rating arc-or-so ago I would probably give him less points but now I've through the biggest shock and gotten somewhat used to the new Franky so he gets a decent score since his look is no longer that bothersome plus it is really unique. Points 7

Character: Franky's personality is super. One moment he's all tough but he's truly a big softie, crying constantly to beautiful/sad/emotional stories. The way he takes the word pervert as a compliment it hilarious. His fighting style is pretty cool, from regular bad-ass punches to laser beams and other weaponry. Also, general Franky is just awesome. Points 9

Story: Franky's peak, in my opinion, was in the W7 and EL. His family's involment to steal themoney from the SH's boosted the conflict between Usopp an Luffy –this would have happened most likely anyway but if Usopp didn't get beaten and lose the money he might have been more reasonable about Merry. This however, is just speculation. Franky also was the one who had the blueprints to the ancient weapon an therefore he was needed by CP9 to build it, which got both him an Usopp captured. In EL he destroys the prints so that they can't be used to build the weapon,teams up with the Strawhats, stops the rampaging Chopper and then saves him from water. Most importantly, of course, he is the one who delivers the key to Robin so that she can be released and builds Thousand Sunny and gives it to Strawhats. After this Franky hasn't done that much and hasn't had that much development. After TS his biggest achievement so far is getting Sunny ready in PH. Franky may still not feel as much of as a SH no matter how awesome he is but it seems like he is going to be the one to destroy the factory down,which will make him one of the most useful SH's so far Post-TS. Points 9

Krieg
    Spoiler:
    Design: I didn't care much about most villain-designs in East Blue, Krieg included but his golden armor was pretty neat. Points 5

Character: Ugh, Krieg might be one of the biggest fails in terms of villains. He was introduced as a merciless and cruel pirate, which he truly was, using weapons like gas and killing even his men if they didn't agree with him. However, he got destroyed in the Grand line – sure, it was done to give us impression that GL was messed up and dangerous place –which it really wasn't, not on the same scale. Biggest issue with Krieg was probably the fact that they introduced Mihawk in the same Arc. The way Mihawk destroyed Zoro like nothing while practically just chilling... he kinda stole Don's spotlight here. When fighting Luffy, Krieg wasn't really that strong, he just had lots of weaponry and they were completely surrounded by water which gave him a big advantage. His only savior was the fact that one of the worst and most annoying characters – Pearl– was introduce in the same arc. He was so bad he made Krieg look at least somewhat decent. He was still IMO a bad character. Points 3

Story: Krieg's biggest contribution to the story was leading Mihawk to Baratie so that he could Handicap Zoro to make Hatchan look less pathetic during AP. Unlike other villains, Krieg didn't have big emotional influence to people on Baratie like other villains had in their arcs and only true satisfaction that I got was when Kreg got his ass kicked was that I wouldn't have to see his stupid face again. Points: 2

Total: 10/30
    Last edited by creeperqueen; August 9th, 2014 at 11:03 PM.

I think part of the problem for a lot of people with Luffy is that they think Complex=better. This is why there are people who like Ichigo better than Luffy, because he's not straightforward about everything, therefore he's complex and better. It was amazing how many people thought Luffy has no motivation and lacks any character. Apparently being the King of Pirates isn't a motivation for some people. There are more complex characters than Luffy, but when writing a fictional world like this, the main character needs to be simple enough that people like, but not so complex that it takes away from concentrating on the overall world. I do like how Luffy won't use race or other superficial things to mock an opponent, or even a reason to not like them. It's he likes you because you are friendly to him, or he's going to get you because you are a bad person.
    Luffy is the guy we all wish to be, staying simple and open-minded, while the world throws it`s shit on us constantly but still enjoying everything to the fullest.
    Luffy had to deal growing up without his parents and being presented to a world that more and more takes away your freedom.(maybe like our world)
    He is the natural contrast to his environment, he searches for the most freedom he can find and that`s his dream.
    The great thing is that he sees this world still with those enthusiastic eyes, that searches for adventure and friends, while having seen cruel things like the dead of his brother or the pure evil of some beings.
    The evil stuff that is presented to him seems to not effect him, until he or mostly his friends are in someway involved.(Ace`s death gave him a hard time, but he realised that his world view(and by that gaining friends) is the key to overcome such hard times for him)
    Unlike his father who tries to fight this world, he simply takes it as it is and filters out the stuff he wants to gain from it.

A complex person might think more about all this, but in the end it`s Luffys way how to achieve inner freedom.
    Most compley overthinking people might agree with that, but also controversially wouldn`t like to changepositions :)
    He acts against his environment only when he thinks the freedom of himself or of his friends is somehow touched.
    This sure happens all the time, because he always ends up going against the big trouble maker, but that`s never his intention.
    Afterall he helps out everybody he kind of likes, but simply because they seem to be oppressed in their freedom, what is a no go for Luffy and that is what he is fighting for.
    He doesn`t say to his crew:"C`mon the WG is evil, let`s go against them!"
    In his eyes a friend(Robin) can`t be free, so there is no questioning that he would help her to be able to live by the same standarts he has for himself.
    But that he just does when ask to...he wouldn`t interfere as long as the person itself wants it that way.
    He doesn`t change the mind of an opponent by talking to them...some get drawn to his inner "whatever you want to call it" almost naturally without them being able to resist.
    But Luffy doesn`t ask why they chose to act so,he doesn`t even care why his friends are the way they are, he simply takes even his enemies as they are and when they interfere with the freedom of his friends they collide.
    For him it`s an obvious observation that a person wants to have his/her freedom, so they should have to CHOICE to stand for it.
    (So maybe even his opponents have that right for him)
    He doesn`t want to interfere but when it is as obvious as in the cases or Robin&Nami, he had to hear it from them, so that they were able to make their own CHOICE.
    Usopp also was able to chose to stay in the crew or not during Water7.

He allows his crew/friends to have their free will and that`s an attitude that is complex to achieve while thinking about others.
    When you have the urge to help someone, when you think(or know) that someone will have a hard time and you want to interact , then you can`t rly do that.
    And that is what most people have and a simple character like Luffy can avoid, while being the best buddy on your side when something turns out harsh and bad.
    Luffy would be the last person who comes to you saying he told cha before^^

Maybe that`s just something i really think is hard to do, that`s why i respect it even more, but that simple character is for me the most complex, because i can`t grasp it because of it`s surreal nature, that is more than rare in real life.
    UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san/S.Gaban
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFSpider/Wind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quichotte De Flamingo View Post
    Luffy is the guy we all wish to be, staying simple and open-minded, while the world throws it`s shit on us constantly but still enjoying everything to the fullest.
    Luffy had to deal growing up without his parents and being presented to a world that more and more takes away your freedom.(maybe like our world)
    He is the natural contrast to his environment, he searches for the most freedom he can find and that`s his dream.
    The great thing is that he sees this world still with those enthusiastic eyes, that searches for adventure and friends, while having seen cruel things like the dead of his brother or the pure evil of some beings.
    The evil stuff that is presented to him seems to not effect him, until he or mostly his friends are in someway involved.(Ace`s death gave him a hard time, but he realised that his world view(and by that gaining friends) is the key to overcome such hard times for him)
    Unlike his father who tries to fight this world, he simply takes it as it is and filters out the stuff he wants to gain from it.

A complex person might think more about all this, but in the end it`s Luffys way how to achieve inner freedom.
    Most compley overthinking people might agree with that, but also controversially wouldn`t like to changepositions :)
    He acts against his environment only when he thinks the freedom of himself or of his friends is somehow touched.
    This sure happens all the time, because he always ends up going against the big trouble maker, but that`s never his intention.
    Afterall he helps out everybody he kind of likes, but simply because they seem to be oppressed in their freedom, what is a no go for Luffy and that is what he is fighting for.
    He doesn`t say to his crew:"C`mon the WG is evil, let`s go against them!"
    In his eyes a friend(Robin) can`t be free, so there is no questioning that he would help her to be able to live by the same standarts he has for himself.
    But that he just does when ask to...he wouldn`t interfere as long as the person itself wants it that way.
    He doesn`t change the mind of an opponent by talking to them...some get drawn to his inner "whatever you want to call it" almost naturally without them being able to resist.
    But Luffy doesn`t ask why they chose to act so,he doesn`t even care why his friends are the way they are, he simply takes even his enemies as they are and when they interfere with the freedom of his friends they collide.
    For him it`s an obvious observation that a person wants to have his/her freedom, so they should have to CHOICE to stand for it.
    (So maybe even his opponents have that right for him)
    He doesn`t want to interfere but when it is as obvious as in the cases or Robin&Nami, he had to hear it from them, so that they were able to make their own CHOICE.
    Usopp also was able to chose to stay in the crew or not during Water7.

He allows his crew/friends to have their free will and that`s an attitude that is complex to achieve while thinking about others.
    When you have the urge to help someone, when you think(or know) that someone will have a hard time and you want to interact , then you can`t rly do that.
    And that is what most people have and a simple character like Luffy can avoid, while being the best buddy on your side when something turns out harsh and bad.
    Luffy would be the last person who comes to you saying he told cha before^^

Maybe that`s just something i really think is hard to do, that`s why i respect it even more, but that simple character is for me the most complex, because i can`t grasp it because of it`s surreal nature, that is more than rare in real life.
    You do bring up some great points. Luffy is indeed what most people wish they could be, carefree and just keep going even when the world is trying to keep you down. I'm not as outgoing as him, or as free, but I do share his look of looking ahead despite what things seem. He is also human still because he was crushed by Ace's death, which at the time he thought both of his brothers were dead, and after going through all that to fail, he broke. He also had a very human experience, where he goes through the phases of acceptance, and what gets him out of it is realizing that he still has things in the world that he values, his nakama.

People are drawn to him not because of his simple mindness, but because of how he treats people and his outlook towards life. Luffy is the perfect figurehead. He's charismatic, someone people can get behind, and treats everyone equally and with respect. He does have is childish side, but everyone does and Luffy is comfortable with it. That's why all the crew gets along with him, because he likes them for who they are, and not what he thinks they are.

Luffy does embody the whole idea of freedom, which is basically the recurring theme for this Manga, which goes hand in hand with adventure. Luffy helps his friends and others because they are being oppressed in some way or cause a disturbance of Freedom. Crocodile caused a country that was free to become discontent and start a revolution, Enel oppressed the skypeans, the Marines and WG are the opposite of freedom. Luffy fights them because they are stopping people from enjoying freedom, which is represented really well with the current arc.

I'm not sure if I would say that he is complex, but he is a well developed character who shows a range of emotions, what a character should be. I can easily say he's better than any character in Bleach and Fairy Tail hands down.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information