+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1242

Thread: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

  1. #1181

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Well like I said you can do that for everything.

    Make Joyboy and Rocks and Im and anybody else all the same person.

    FTR, I disagree. We definitely do not have a billion names of mysterious characters. We barely have a dozen when it comes to the void century.

    As far as when he chose to do it, seems to be an assumption that things need to be tying things up as if the series has 2 or even 5 years left when it does not.
    I agree with you that assuming the story only has five years left is wishful thinking at best. And you make a good argument about Nika. It just annoys me. So I guess this is my emotional, knee-jerk response? I just don't like it. For the record, I don't mind Joyboy existing but if he ends up being Luffy or anything of the sort, I'll be really disappointed, since Luffy's whole journey is about being free and making him some kind of chosen one completely ruins that message. Kind of like Naruto, except fuck Naruto, it was awful from the beginning anyways.

  2. #1182

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Robin keeps lipstick, but i've never seen her with lipstick on before.

    Yep, Dwarves managed to catch Robin while the Government never could, not counting that time she turned herself in.

  3. #1183
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by rawrfizzz View Post
    I agree with you that assuming the story only has five years left is wishful thinking at best. And you make a good argument about Nika. It just annoys me. So I guess this is my emotional, knee-jerk response? I just don't like it. For the record, I don't mind Joyboy existing but if he ends up being Luffy or anything of the sort, I'll be really disappointed, since Luffy's whole journey is about being free and making him some kind of chosen one completely ruins that message. Kind of like Naruto, except fuck Naruto, it was awful from the beginning anyways.
    Yeah I totally get that sort of impatient annoyance feeling especially as it regards to the mystery part of One Piece. I guess I kinda turned that switch off in my brain and am just open for w/e especially since I don't think it's ending any time soon. So to me its just like if somebody was really tired of Wano and got pissed off if the Big Mom pirates showed up or if the top officers got up to fight again cuz they awakened their zoan DFs. I'm just here for all of it enjoying it as it comes.

    As for Naruto, agree. I did enjoy the first part up to a point though but it went to shit right after their timeskip.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  4. #1184

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    VP's DF was a failure because he didn't have a subject that can control Zunesha with time travel radiation mixed with the Juki Juki's maturing effect. I see what you're doing Oda. So he looks like Oden and can control a giant elephant.

  5. #1185

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    VP's DF was a failure because he didn't have a subject that can control Zunesha with time travel radiation mixed with the Juki Juki's maturing effect. I see what you're doing Oda. So he looks like Oden and can control a giant elephant.
    Wouldn't surprise me if the "failure" part turns out to be something extremely minor and more of a joke. Like VP considered it a failure cause the dragon turned out pink.


  6. #1186

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Outside of Ace, there's 5 WB commanders that weren't shown in Oden's flashback. Based on Marco's statement, the commanders are similar to Roger's crew and are simply disbanded. I think Oda might use 4 of them for future arcs (Thatch is dead).

  7. #1187
    The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I hacked ultimateclima's account

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    I just happen to be skimming Little Garden again. Zoro uses the attack Flaming Oni Giri because his swords were on fire after being saved from the candle wax figure (chapter 126). He brings up how cool a burning sword is.

    I’m willing to bet it’s just a coincidence, but it’s funny that now in the early 1000ish chapters Zoro is shown stealing the Fox-Fire style which could lead to manipulating flames.

    It was mentioned Zoro was interested in this all the way back in Punk Hazard, just found it humorous the notion of Zoro using fire attacks was brought up in early One Piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

  8. #1188

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Ulti's hair looks like a lighter version of Twilight Sparkle's hair from MLP.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

  9. #1189
    Warrior of Science Kaptayn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    France

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by rawrfizzz View Post
    I agree with you that assuming the story only has five years left is wishful thinking at best. And you make a good argument about Nika. It just annoys me. So I guess this is my emotional, knee-jerk response? I just don't like it. For the record, I don't mind Joyboy existing but if he ends up being Luffy or anything of the sort, I'll be really disappointed, since Luffy's whole journey is about being free and making him some kind of chosen one completely ruins that message. Kind of like Naruto, except fuck Naruto, it was awful from the beginning anyways.
    How so?

    Also, pay respects to Naruto


  10. #1190

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    My understanding from Viola's Vivre Card was that her relationship with Doflamingo was a complex one of love and hate apparently, and that all this just gives me the feeling that she at first slept with him to get him to trust her, but then felt guilty in getting any sexual pleasure she got from this guy who's very much a villainous tyrant, but is also what I'm sure some people would describe as flamboyant, suave, and has a passionate way with words like what he said about righteousness at Marineford.

    This isn't to defend Doflamingo, though at the same time I think there's enough space to allow for alternative points of view at least as so long as there's enough logic and reason in their explanations.


  11. #1191

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    According to the Vivre card Databook, Mihawk became the "greatest swordsman" roughly in the same years of Oden's raising to fame as a pirate.
    Isn't it a bit odd? He should at least have challenged Oden to earn that title.


    Unless the manga specifies something different about that title, I would go as far as to call it a plot hole.

  12. #1192
    Warrior of Science Kaptayn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    France

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by crlsdc View Post
    According to the Vivre card Databook, Mihawk became the "greatest swordsman" roughly in the same years of Oden's raising to fame as a pirate.
    Isn't it a bit odd? He should at least have challenged Oden to earn that title.


    Unless the manga specifies something different about that title, I would go as far as to call it a plot hole.
    How can a Vivre Card induce a plot hole in the manga ?


  13. #1193

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptayn View Post
    How so?

    Also, pay respects to Naruto
    I thought I explained it pretty well in the part you highlighted. Being free and following a prearranged destiny are kind of polar opposites.

    Also why would I respect Naruto when I clearly think it's bad? No.

  14. #1194
    Warrior of Science Kaptayn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    France

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by rawrfizzz View Post
    I thought I explained it pretty well in the part you highlighted. Being free and following a prearranged destiny are kind of polar opposites.
    Destiny is the story you write moving backwards. It does not take away from the freedom in the choices you have made along the journey.

    In this particular case: we both have no clue who Joy Boy really is and what his prophecy truly might be -- but we can agree that there seem to be different possible candidates that could accomplish it. Kaido says that "Luffy couldn't be Joy Boy either". Becoming Joy Boy is therefore something that you do, not something that happens to you. Luffy could have given up along the way, in nearly every single volume of the manga. He wasn't handed "power"; what became his advantage early on in the story, his devil fruit, was initially something that held him back and almost crushed his dreams (see both Luffy flashbacks).
    He got lucky at times; yet one could argue that he created his luck through his kind spirit/compassion that helped him recruit loyal and driven companions. The kind of kindness that made a boat repair itself and cross the sea to save him and his friends. That made an old enemy sacrifice himself for him not once, but twice. That gave the most ambitious character of the story the resolve to give up his life for him (Zoro). Etc.
    We tend to forget that he got awfully unlucky too. One of his brothers happened to cross the path of a Celestial Dragon on the first day of his pirate career. The other one forgot to learn haki despite spending years in the New World. Etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by rawrfizzz View Post
    Also why would I respect Naruto when I clearly think it's bad? No.
    Perhaps Naruto is not your taste. Doesn't change the fact that it is a genre-defining manga and deserves respect.


  15. #1195
    The Golden Witch otakufan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Golden Land

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by crlsdc View Post
    According to the Vivre card Databook, Mihawk became the "greatest swordsman" roughly in the same years of Oden's raising to fame as a pirate.
    Isn't it a bit odd? He should at least have challenged Oden to earn that title.


    Unless the manga specifies something different about that title, I would go as far as to call it a plot hole.
    That assumes that Oden wasn't already outclassed by Mihawk in terms of swordsmanship during his days with Whitebeard and Roger. It's not just about raw strength, otherwise Charlotte Linlin would probably be the World's Strongest Swordsman, and I'd argue Oden didn't reach his peak strength until after he'd returned to Wano anyway.

    Welcome to Rokkenjima.

  16. #1196
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptayn View Post




    Perhaps Naruto is not your taste. Doesn't change the fact that it is a genre-defining manga and deserves respect.
    This is strictly an opinion not a fact.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  17. #1197
    Warrior of Science Kaptayn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    France

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    This is strictly an opinion not a fact.
    This is not an opinion. 250 million units sold. Introduced a whole generation to manga in France and the US.


  18. #1198

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    The first half is alright, not great, but it keeps you reading.

    But the second half is a hot mess. So Naruto gets a solid rating of meh.

  19. #1199
    Warrior of Science Kaptayn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    France

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    I am not arguing the overall quality of the story, rather talking about the impact on the genre which is undeniable


  20. #1200
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptayn View Post
    This is not an opinion. 250 million units sold. Introduced a whole generation to manga in France and the US.
    'Genre defining' and that it 'deserves respect' are absolute subjective opinions.

    Seems you don't know what a fact is.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts