+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1240

Thread: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

Luffy also wears the titles of Strawhat, Joyboy, Nika, D., Pirateking and blablablabla lol. This manga has just turned into a medieval-fantasy show
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

The story didn't need Nika at all and would be better without the unnecessary added complication.

Jack being a Fishman is probably the strangest thing in one piece. Why does he look nothing like a Fishman? I wonder if Oda will ever explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by DollarScholar View Post
    Jack being a Fishman is probably the strangest thing in one piece. Why does he look nothing like a Fishman? I wonder if Oda will ever explain it.
    It really is weird. I wonder if he's like 1/4 fishman or something, it would explain the underwater breathing and maybe the horns.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by rawrfizzz View Post
    The story didn't need Nika at all and would be better without the unnecessary added complication.
    What exactly is the complication?

As is, its just another myth out in the world.

Obviously Oda had it mentioned for a reason and it'll be important when revealed.

Right now, we know nothing about it or what else its connected to so how can you say the story didn't need it?

Might as well say other random stuff about what the story doesn't need.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Just a number thing I noticed not long ago.

In japanese, when we think of よみ (yomi), we first think of "reading" (読み - yomi). However, in One Piece, the Yomi Yomi no Mi, Brook's fruit, comes from "resurrection" (甦 - yomigae) or the verb "to be resurrected" (蘇る - yomigaeru). Most of you might also know that yomi can be 43 (yo -> 4 and mi -> 3).

That notion that "43=yomi=yomigae/resurrection" doesn't only appear in the story with Brook's fruit, though. Look at the 430s, the chapters between 430 and 439, before Brook's introduction. That is the story of the death and revival of the Going Merry:

Chapter 430 - Going Merry's last ride. Iceburg reveals Going Merry's request to go out just one more time. Merry's death.
    Chapter 431 - Franky's deliver of Adam tree wood arrives. He tells the Straw Hats about his idea of building a dream ship for them.
    Chapter 433 - The shipbuilding is offscreened but mentioned.
    Chapter 435 - Franky and company are shown building the ship. It is finished after 3 days! (Jesus Christ!)
    Chapter 436 - We see the ship for the first time. Luffy asks (demands) Franky to join.
    Chapter 437 - Franky joins.
    Chapter 438 - Usopp comes back. The Straw Hats are all on the ship.
    Chapter 439 - They decide the ship's name, Thousand Sunny. Coup de Burst. Franky says this ship will surpass the Going Merry in every way. He also adds that the Sunny inherited the spirit of Going Merry. Thousand Sunny's first ride...

Quote Originally Posted by ThatStoopidGuy View Post
    Just a number thing I noticed not long ago.

In japanese, when we think of よみ (yomi), we first think of "reading" (読み - yomi). However, in One Piece, the Yomi Yomi no Mi, Brook's fruit, comes from "resurrection" (甦 - yomigae) or the verb "to be resurrected" (蘇る - yomigaeru). Most of you might also know that yomi can be 43 (yo -> 4 and mi -> 3).

That notion that "43=yomi=yomigae/resurrection" doesn't only appear in the story with Brook's fruit, though. Look at the 430s, the chapters between 430 and 439, before Brook's introduction. That is the story of the death and revival of the Going Merry:

Chapter 430 - Going Merry's last ride. Iceburg reveals Going Merry's request to go out just one more time. Merry's death.
    Chapter 431 - Franky's deliver of Adam tree wood arrives. He tells the Straw Hats about his idea of building a dream ship for them.
    Chapter 433 - The shipbuilding is offscreened but mentioned.
    Chapter 435 - Franky and company are shown building the ship. It is finished after 3 days! (Jesus Christ!)
    Chapter 436 - We see the ship for the first time. Luffy asks (demands) Franky to join.
    Chapter 437 - Franky joins.
    Chapter 438 - Usopp comes back. The Straw Hats are all on the ship.
    Chapter 439 - They decide the ship's name, Thousand Sunny. Coup de Burst. Franky says this ship will surpass the Going Merry in every way. He also adds that the Sunny inherited the spirit of Going Merry. Thousand Sunny's first ride...
    That's 100% a nice coincidence. With numbers in Japanese having possible phonetic pronounciations it is possible to find anything you want in the manga.
    It's a nice way to talk about Merry's goodbye and Sunny's birth, though.

I wouldn't say you can find anything, but what makes this one nice is that we have not one but two instances of "resurrection" with the link to the yomi/43. And both were pretty close to each other in the story too.

I like that Oda avoids the main characters wearing the same exact attire every arc like most stories.

Oda really blew it with Kaidos devil fruit.. Has Dragon form Kaido done anything other than gotten beaten up and humiliated?

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    All these years and I can't remember 1 question about Vergo possibly being connected to the Germa clones. Either there's no connection at all or there is and they've thrown away every question because people should be patient and it will be explained later.
    Why do you think they are connected? Is there a similarity I missed?

Robin keeps lipstick, but i've never seen her with lipstick on before.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by DollarScholar View Post
    Oda really blew it with Kaidos devil fruit.. Has Dragon form Kaido done anything other than gotten beaten up and humiliated?
    I hoped to see more of dragon magic, it was kind of underwhelming...

Quote Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
    I hoped to see more of dragon magic, it was kind of underwhelming...
    Yup. Like every fight including Kaido so far has gone like this:
    Kaido in Dragon form gets mercilessly spanked like a ragdol.
    Kaido reverts to base form and smashes the shit out of his opponent.

Dragon form = massive floating pinyata

Well, dragon's main advantage is how big they are, which in real world terms mean more devastating blows and toucher skins.
    Being big is actually a disadvantage in One Piece, as smaller characters can achieve the same strength and resilience without drawbacks.

I feel the dragon has showed some interesting feats, like the tornadoes, wind blades and boro breath. But it's the "standard form to dispatch mass of weaker opponents". For 1v1, human form is more effective. And Hybrid form, being the sum of all positive aspects of both human and dragon forms, is more fit to go 1v1 against powerful opponents.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I mean, he severed Kiku's arm by *breathing*...
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Robin keeps lipstick, but i've never seen her with lipstick on before.

She is totally wearing one in the color spread of this chapter (forgot which)
    Robin is a super spy. I wouldn't be surprised if the lipstick was actually a recording and listening device

Quote Originally Posted by Chams View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/w3tHOx5.jpg
    She is totally wearing one in the color spread of this chapter (forgot which)
    Robin is a super spy. I wouldn't be surprised if the lipstick was actually a recording and listening device
    I have been proven wrong. Thanks for this. Plus, it's the same colors, so I know it's the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    What exactly is the complication?

As is, its just another myth out in the world.

Obviously Oda had it mentioned for a reason and it'll be important when revealed.

Right now, we know nothing about it or what else its connected to so how can you say the story didn't need it?

Might as well say other random stuff about what the story doesn't need.
    I'm saying it's not needed for the story because we already have about eleventy billion names, legends, important characters and so forth and instead of adding yet another Oda could have easily given whatever he plans for Nika to another character like Joyboy or Rocks or Captain John or my mom, you know, something that already exists.

It's time to start tying things up and making existing connections known, not adding even more random crap.

Honestly, IDK why I feel so strongly about this one, but it just really annoyed me when it came up. I'm irked. And I don't like to feel irked when reading One Piece.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by rawrfizzz View Post
    I'm saying it's not needed for the story because we already have about eleventy billion names, legends, important characters and so forth and instead of adding yet another Oda could have easily given whatever he plans for Nika to another character like Joyboy or Rocks or Captain John or my mom, you know, something that already exists.

It's time to start tying things up and making existing connections known, not adding even more random crap.

Honestly, IDK why I feel so strongly about this one, but it just really annoyed me when it came up. I'm irked. And I don't like to feel irked when reading One Piece.
    Well like I said you can do that for everything.

Make Joyboy and Rocks and Im and anybody else all the same person.

FTR, I disagree. We definitely do not have a billion names of mysterious characters. We barely have a dozen when it comes to the void century.

As far as when he chose to do it, seems to be an assumption that things need to be tying things up as if the series has 2 or even 5 years left when it does not.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information