+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Thread: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Default Re: Notions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Solgarde View Post
    Something that strikes me as very strange.

Big Mom Pirates are in constant conflict with all of the great powers of the world. She murders members of powerful people's families just for failing to show up to her parties regardless of the excuse. Big Mom even goes into rages where she will apparently kill members of her own family....

And yet, somehow, every single one of her children is alive and shown within the Whole Cake Island arc. Not a single one of them has ever died under any circumstance ever.

How does that make the slightest bit of sense? Shouldn't there be a number of them that have been taken out over the 50+ year war that Linlin and her kids have waged on the entire world and their constant and flagrant offense against everyone even remotely dangerous? Or even been taken out during her rages?

I mean, sure, the others were able to restore Moscato's life-- but that really feels like a "well, we've been through this before, so we know what to do to reverse the damage" thing.

But Big Mom's rages seem like a regular occurrence. One has to imagine that it wasn't such a simple a routine thing the first few times that Linlin murdered one of her children by ripping their souls from their bodies.

How could ever single one still be alive?
    Because Oda doesn't like to kill off characters.

Oh, so Streusen plays a much bigger role in the Big Mom pirates than even it initially seems?
    He s the oldest member so probably. I still believe he is the first dad.

He is quite an interesting character upon reflection. Like.. what exactly are his motives? And does he know what happened to Mother Carmel and the other children? Why was he even on that island?
    Him and the giant are the only ones to know what happened.

I think he is the Trebol of the BM pirates. Found a kid with great potential and raised it so he could have a great life.

He basically took on a father role for Linlin-- yet she demonstrated no acknowledgement or respect for him at all.
    I'm pretty sure they both don't super care about each other and are just living the life of high society in different corners. But he is probably one of the most respected figure of the crew.

Also, if he was the one who generally handled things when she went crazy-- why did he seem as stunned and ill equipped to handle things when it happened within the story?
    I think he was KO in the destruction of the palace.

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Because Oda doesn't like to kill off characters.
    Oda tends not to kill off characters during the events that unfold once Luffy arrives at a given island.
    But he has never seemed particularly keen on killing off characters in backstories.

Then again, he tends to suggest that characters were killed far more often than he actually kills them.

For example-- even though Mother Carmel no doubt died, it is possible that the other orphans were taken away while Linlin was all phased out. But for the moment he wants readers to think that she ate them or something.

Even though there would be no reason to make that scene about Mother Carmel selling the children off to the World Government if that were the case. Why undermine her character like that unless it was meant to indicate that the World Government was actually involved in why everyone disappeared while Linlin was eating?

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    I think he was KO in the destruction of the palace.
    Actually, when she first went into the rage, he was standing right there when she ripped the life energy from his subordinates and seemed like he was going to be the inevitable next target. But it didn't seem like he knew the first thing about what to do about it even as the children shouted for him to get to safety.

I would enjoy the idea of Streussen understanding the whole soul cannibalism bit.

I wonder if Oda also had in mind, the chain of Don Quijote stores from Japan when creating Doffy. I'm aware that there is way more to his name and look, but the Japanese chain seems like it fits as well. Especially between what they sell and how Doffy dresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I wonder if Oda also had in mind, the chain of Don Quijote stores from Japan when creating Doffy. I'm aware that there is way more to his name and look, but the Japanese chain seems like it fits as well. Especially between what they sell and how Doffy dresses.
    Those stores sell everything from normal groceries to jewelry to clothing to electronics and dvds.
    I am guessing that you are most thinking about how they sell party decorations and costumes. When I very first visited one in Tokyo a decade ago, that part certainly stood out to me.
    But the one in the city I live in now is hardly any different from a department store other than being open 24 hours a day.

https://ibb.co/dJy9J2W

https://ibb.co/X46GwQS

I would like you guys to tell me is this is really what i thinků a subliminal message

(Volume 12, chapter 107)
    Last edited by crlsdc; June 12th, 2019 at 12:59 PM.

A lot of interesting DF abilities have been shown. I wonder if Oda might use the self duplication trope for a DF ability. I know Doffy did it with his string ability, but that's not a duplicate exactly

Wasn't there some chick who clones herself. I think we last saw her in... iunno that ninja arc with the ninjas
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー┤)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Robin don't count because the limits, but it's there. She'll get there 1 day where those clones last longer

I wonder if any of the Level Sixers, including possibly any of the four who joined up with Blackbeard, might have been members of Rox back in the day?

The more I look into Sarazanmai, the more I feel like Kawamatsu is a fishmen/mink. Minks are semi-aquatic and are related to Weasels and Otters. Being a fishman would be weird to those unfamiliar with the outside world, but imagine being a mink and fishman. That would possibly explain being referred to as a demon.

Jinbei is possibly connected to Kawamatsu, which would explain more about Jinbei's respect for WB and his knowledge of Minks, even though you don't really require that. WB had Oden as an apprentice before he was scouted by Roger. Izo was 1 of the Scabbards that possibly chose to stay with WB.

Edit: I was informed that Kawamatsu can't be a fishman because he eats fish. Well, I seen Jinbei eat takoyaki. It may or may not have octopi, but I assume so. Also Hachi has a restaurant that sells takoyaki.
    Last edited by Cockycent; June 16th, 2019 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Edit: I was informed that Kawamatsu can't be a fishman because he eats fish. Well, I seen Jinbei eat takoyaki. It may or may not have octopi, but I assume so. Also Hachi has a restaurant that sells takoyaki.
    Someone must have gotten confused. It's the mermaids that don't eat fish or meat for that matter.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. »\_(ツ)_/»

Other than Big Mom, Dr. Kureha and Sabo's mother...

Are there any mothers in the entire series who did not either get sick and die or get shot and die when the characters were young.

Not just among the Straw Hat crew, but all of the allied princesses, every pirate ally they have, and every enemy they have faced whose mother was mentioned.

I go down through the list of characters and if their moms were remotely mentioned, every single one is either "got sick and died" or "got shot and died" generally when the character was around 6-10 years old.

I am sure I probably forgot one, but when I think about it... Oda has really, really over-used that same tragic backstory point over and over and over and over again to where it ought to be a meme.

Are there any mothers in the entire series who did not either get sick and die or get shot and die when the characters were young.

Not just among the Straw Hat crew, but all of the allied princesses, every pirate ally they have, and every enemy they have faced whose mother was mentioned.

I go down through the list of characters and if their moms were remotely mentioned, every single one is either "got sick and died" or "got shot and died" generally when the character was around 6-10 years old.

I am sure I probably forgot one, but when I think about it... Oda has really, really over-used that same tragic backstory point over and over and over and over again to where it ought to be a meme.
    Oda has said, that "mother" is the opposite of "adventure". So, I think he's self-aware of it.

I bet he loved the How I Met Your Mother ending lol by the way yes Oda should try to change something in this sense.

From mother being the antonym for adventure to Africa being a country, i'm very aware of Oda being a weirdo. Some might question how can OP be so vast and full of great themes, while Oda has shown a pattern of an insular individual. Well, no one is 1 way. People can be selfish, but also considerate. Just because someone makes great work, doesn't mean they're incapable of having foibles.

I think the redesign is pretty easy.

What does he really need besides the cape and the boosters

Earphones... Nope
    Sunglasses... Nope but could stay
    The scarf? Nope instead he can make it a tie
    The gauntlets? Again nope
    The shitty belt? Nope
    The 3 on the cape? Nope.
    The ridiculous hair no one can explain. Nope.
    Boots being white? Nope

So if Oda wish to make him more classy simply keep the black suit plus cape and get rid of the rest while keeping a abilities.

But I doubt he will do it and we will only see some minor changes

It's so crazy that Zoro is Mihawk's student. I'm not curious or confident enough to train someone that could rival me one day. Mihawk must be 1 of those people that loves what he does so much that he's okay with someone topping him, but it has to be someone he deems worthy, so he makes sure he's the best. It is similar to the possibility of Shanks making sure the balance is kept until a worthy pirate comes along.

You know I wonder if pirates who first enter the grand line view the twin capes as Straw Hat territory.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. »\_(ツ)_/»

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information