+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60
Results 1,181 to 1,196 of 1196

Thread: General Kingdom Hearts Thread

Default Re: General Kingdom Hearts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Everytime a battle between the lights and darknesses happens at the end of the game, Master Xehanort gets a copy of his Keyblade until he gets thirteen. Basically trophies representing each of the 13 conflicts. Although it should be fourteen counting his Keyblade to begin with, but I bet it's still 13. And I'm guessing they all either summon Kingdom Hearts and/or combine into the x-Blade?

None of this is explained, it just looks cool from Nomura's perspective.

I'm not exaggerating when Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't even really so much Kingdom Hearts 3 but really playing through irrelevant but slightly amusing fanservicey Disney worlds for 90% of the game and then the final 10% is just Kingdom Hearts: Xehanort's Greatest Hits where you go through a string of boss battles that are all fused rehashes of previous fights in the series. The main story is delayed to practically nonexistence and is only focused on convoluting worldbuilding lore more and tying up loose end plotlines lazily in a boss rush of rematches. That's it.

Say whatever you want about the other Kingdom Hearts' stories, but at least they actually felt like full stories with a beginning, middle, and end throughout. This game feels more like a alternate epilogue anime OVA than an actual full built-up conclusion installment. Honestly, I bet Nomura actually got so excited for his plans after Kingdom Hearts 3 (which he slaps in your face during the game's final moments) that the process developing Kingdom Hearts 3 itself became a burdensome afterthought to him.
    This is how I feel about the game overall and I haven't quite finished it (at the Xehanort's Greatest Hits part at the moment). Heck, despite looking nice, the Disney/Pixar worlds felt very lacking compared to the previous games, or at least the ones I played. Outside of two of the worlds it feels super linear and while I don't need open world some opportunity to explore was what I liked about previous games. Everything not dealing with the actual worlds story felt really tacked on and disjointed even more than usual. Then once you finish the final Disney/Pixar world the actual plot takes off fast with no opportunity to breath for a bit. We have a reverse Bleach where there is way too much to know because while I know about some of the big overarching story stuff, so many little things came up I was trying to remember about (apparently Axel and blue haired Org. XIII member had a mission to find some little girl?).

I still overall enjoy the game but yeesh, pacing is off and lacks some of what I liked from previous entries. However, there was that one part early on in the final area that was pretty hype. Major end game spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Let's have what I assume is PSN usernames representing past keyblade wielders and just shoot keyblades at the giant tornado of heartless.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBits View Post
    Question from a guy who's never played any of these games. At what point did this series' story go "off the rails?" I don't remember hearing any major criticism of the first game, KHII sounded more divisive than widely panned (at least from an outsider perspective), and most people I know say they liked Birth By Sleep's story well enough. Was it Dream Drop Distance?
    Birth by Sleep started it and Dream Drop Distance finished the transformation into pure slop. And I am a pig.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    Spoiler:
    Let's have what I assume is PSN usernames representing past keyblade wielders and just shoot keyblades at the giant tornado of heartless.
    Spoiler:
    The phone game Kingdom Hearts UX, I believe, takes place in the far past of the series, where the initial Keyblade War takes place. You're part of a group of young Keyblade Warriors and like 200 of that games actual players got to be a part of Kingdom Hearts 3. I thought that part was pretty hype.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    so many little things came up I was trying to remember about (apparently Axel and blue haired Org. XIII member had a mission to find some little girl?).
    That is actually a completely new plot point they tacked on that will probably connect to the mobile game and the post-Xehanort saga. Was never foreshadowed in a previous game unless you maybe take Lea and Isa's interest in sneaking into Ansem's castle during Birth by Sleep as extremely bare minimum vague foreshadowing. The Secret Reports in the Kingdom Hearts III talk about it, but you only get those if you beat the battle gates. But I recommend just reading them off of the KH wiki if you're interested.
    Last edited by Count Mario; February 18th, 2019 at 03:54 PM.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

POST-Xehanort saga

that's one thing I do not like about all this. I know KH is very very popular and there's no way Disney would let that die. But ALL this nonsense for the past two decades, all the insane things Nomura has come up was all because of Xehanort.

No wait the other one.

No wait the OTHER one.

No wait the bald old man one.

I'm sorry, I can't take another grand overarching plot anymore. It really hammers how long KH has been going on when Sora's VA is now *double* his age when he started off being the same age as him.

you can basicially sum Kingdom Hearts up as "everyone is Sora or Xehanort. Oh, and Donald and Goofy are here too."

When were you under the impression that we had rails on the first place?

This isn't a train, this is a randomly transforming attraction summon, and not like the last time that I got on one of those, I ate more than 8 hours ago and came with clothes without dangly bits, so I'll enjoy the glittery ride.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

People who've beaten the game:

Hidden:
    I'm at Pirate's world and it's the last one before... whatever follows after it and San Fransokyo. I've been kind of cruising around, having a good time, but I think I should jump ahead and finish the story of the entire game.

1. If I beat the story, can I go back to revisit worlds and collect everything and play mini-games?
    2. I know on Proud Mode in Carribean can be hard with boat battles. Is Level 5 a decent boat level for the rest of the story?
    3. Is Level 38 safe for where I am right now?

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    People who've beaten the game:

Hidden:
    I'm at Pirate's world and it's the last one before... whatever follows after it and San Fransokyo. I've been kind of cruising around, having a good time, but I think I should jump ahead and finish the story of the entire game.

1. If I beat the story, can I go back to revisit worlds and collect everything and play mini-games?
    2. I know on Proud Mode in Carribean can be hard with boat battles. Is Level 5 a decent boat level for the rest of the story?
    3. Is Level 38 safe for where I am right now?
    Yes, yes, and yes.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Sweet.

Hidden:

Okay, shout outs to Kingdom Hearts 3 for giving us a better ending for 'At World's End'.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Birth by Sleep started it and Dream Drop Distance finished the transformation into pure slop. And I am a pig.

Spoiler:
    The phone game Kingdom Hearts UX, I believe, takes place in the far past of the series, where the initial Keyblade War takes place. You're part of a group of young Keyblade Warriors and like 200 of that games actual players got to be a part of Kingdom Hearts 3. I thought that part was pretty hype.
    Spoiler:
    That is pretty interesting. That segment made me think of another game from a few years ago that did something similar with having backup come to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    That is actually a completely new plot point they tacked on that will probably connect to the mobile game and the post-Xehanort saga. Was never foreshadowed in a previous game unless you maybe take Lea and Isa's interest in sneaking into Ansem's castle during Birth by Sleep as extremely bare minimum vague foreshadowing. The Secret Reports in the Kingdom Hearts III talk about it, but you only get those if you beat the battle gates. But I recommend just reading them off of the KH wiki if you're interested.
    Of course it has to be a new thing for the next game/saga/whatever. Once I beat the game I will consider looking up the reports, but I pretty much never had an interest in this series lore so I will probably just ignore it. Heck, at this time I'm pretty much 99% ready to just be done with the series once I finish the game. While I have enjoyed the game it hasn't brought the same joy as some of the past titles.

Hidden:
    I thought I'd be running into the 'I've beaten the story and seen the ending' crew with joy and pride, but all I know is pain.

Last edited by Insider2000; February 20th, 2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: [Skipper the penguin voice] No one saw anything...

Quote Originally Posted by MrBits View Post
    Question from a guy who's never played any of these games. At what point did this series' story go "off the rails?" I don't remember hearing any major criticism of the first game, KHII sounded more divisive than widely panned (at least from an outsider perspective), and most people I know say they liked Birth By Sleep's story well enough. Was it Dream Drop Distance?
    My two cents: the problem is Nomura doesn't understand how a spinoff should work and he sucks at recaps.

The first game's story is pretty simple since there's no backstory.
    Darkness is eating up worlds, including the one our protagonist, Sora, lives in. With his world destroyed but his life spared thanks to a new found power, the keyblade, he ends up meeting the wizard Donald and Captain of the Guard Goofy, who are looking for their King Mickey. Mickey set out to find his old master, Ansem, who was studiyng these heartless creatures and the darkness eating up worlds .Throught out the game you collect his reports and at the end you discover that the final boss is Ansem himself, corrupted by darkness.
    Add in some Final Fantasy characters, plot points about saving disney princesses, friendship, love, and all works out in the end.

So far so good right?
    Then betwen KH 1 and KH 2 another game was realeased, called Chain of Memories. Unlike KH1&2, Chain of Memories was not released for the PS2 but for the GBA.
    The premise is simple. Sora, Donald, and Goofy are traped in a magic mansion by misterious figures, the Organization XIII, and forced to relieve and therefore protect their memories, i.e. you revisit the worlds from KH1. At first sight this seems like it would facilitate this whole being a spinoff thing, right? Not if you're Nomura.
    The characters introduced in this game (Naminé, the girl able to interfere with memories, and the Organization that's exploiting her) are extremly relevant to the future of the series and KH2 does a very poor job explaining their origin unless you go read a bunch of character files in the pause menu.

So now we got KH2, which is actually the third game in the series, and the last one was released on a different console but Nomura assumes you've played it and know what the fuck is happening. The beggining of the game is a bit confusing because of the poor recap but after a couple of hours you're back to good old KH, travelling betwen different worlds, saving disney princesses, friendship, love, also you meet Ansem. No, not the guy from the last game, the real Ansem. Turns out Ansem was always a good guy and the one you met last time was a former student of him who took his name because of "reasons". You ignore that awful storytelling choice and go on and beat the rest of the Organization, except not really since they all come back in later games.

Now betwen KH2 and 3 you repeat the same process except with half a dozen "spinoff" games spread across a 3 or 4 consoles. They all start with a nice spinoff premise but by the end and full of important lore and plot points that are never, ever, properly recapped the next game unless you go to the menu and spend a couple of hours reading up the lore and character entries.
    Ex: Birth by Sleep is a prequel and features 3 new protagonists so anyone can pick up the game and not feel lost. But in KH3 a big plot point is that you're looking for them, even though you've never met them and the characters were only mentioned in other spinoff games. No introduction is given, the game just assumes you've played the entire series in the right order and know what they're talking about.
    Or Dream Drop Distance, which has you fight the darkness in the dream world. Vague concept sure, but it's a nice excuse to not move the plot foward, right? Since you're in the dream world it should have no impact in the "real world" other than you've fend off darkness one more time. Except that the end of that game is when the villain's evil longterm plan is finally explained and that is something very important to the saga.

KH story is needlessly confusing anyway you tell it, but it could have been told much much better.
    But you know, it's fun jumping around Disney worlds and meeting FF characters once in a while.

I've had over a week since beating the game and now feel ready to give my thoughts. Overall it was a good game, but it left a lot to be desired in a number of ways.

The game looks great and the Disney worlds have never looked better, but I would struggle to say even the best of the worlds really did a whole lot for me. Even if they were basically following the plot of the movies I feel like the worlds from some of the past games felt more open and had a better feeling of exploration (outside of KH3 Pirates world and Big Hero 6). They were smaller but I think with having lots of smaller worlds to switch around in kept things fresh, where here you stick to a world for hours which end up being mostly straight paths. Good chance it was similar in past games, but I was always seeing something or doing something new that it never really settles in those games. Frozen never really got me invested in any part of its world, Monstropolis felt lackluster, Tangled was ok, and Big Hero 6 while having a city to explore didn't really give me a reason to look around as the story made me feel like I had to ignore everything and focus on the world story. Pirates was neat but the part of getting the crabs was tedious and the parts leading up to the open world area was hit or miss. I found moments of enjoyment in each world, but not a whole lot stood out to me personally.

Outside of mostly being easy, the combat in the game just didn't click with me. Part of it was the number of times I would be in combat, press square, and use a move I didn't want to use. The rides were neat at first but after a point I felt I just had to ignore them as they were just boring to use, as well as could easily wipe out enemies. I can admit some frustration late in the game is on me, as I never really used block or parry which apparently is what you need to use on late games bosses where dodging doesn't really help you. That said, the various Organization fights got frustrating as one hit turned into a combo that could take you from full health to none, and no matter what I did it seemed like I could not get out of it. One would hit me, as soon as I recovered would get hit and have to recover again but before I could dodge or do anything else more attacks came my way. What's worse was how many attacks would come from offscreen where I couldn't see them and get blind sided. We go from bosses that at their best provided a decent challenge and was overall fair to hope you are ready to chug potions. I wanted a challenge, but it felt like nothing I did would stop the onslaught. There was a point at the final battle where I was yelling at Donald to heal me, and he ends up healing Goofy

Last is the story. Ok, the story of these games have become a mess and there is a lot that could be done to make it better. My complaints aren't even knowing all the other games inside and out, because that's fine if a company wants to make many games with an overarching story (my favorite game series has nine games and more coming in the future that all build each other up in a way). The problem is that the pacing and the way the story is told in this specific game is just terrible. Pretty much all of the actual story is told at the back end of the game, and with all the characters and plot threads that are going on it was way too short to compensate for that. You go from romping around into the worlds to suddenly everything is falling in place and boom, here's the keyblade war. Very little time to savor various reunions and many interactions that should've happened don't happen. Then there are certain organization members that basically just drop off the game to either never be shown again or have them do something with no prior build up. Examples would include

Spoiler:
    Vexen deciding he wants to atone and betrays the organization, practically anything with the guitar guy (he pretty much served no purpose), Xehanort having "good" intentions this whole time

I can admit that the montage of what happened after the war was pretty neat and showed more character for everyone than practically the rest of the game. While he got shafted overall in the end, I still enjoy Axel. However, none of the characters really get a scene to allow them to shine, even when it's supposed to be about them. It feels like a checklist of we need this character here, who cares how we get that character there and how they would react to the situations. The reunion of various members should've been a lot more impactful, but at most it got me to go "well good for them".

Unlike some of the past games where I felt like I would like to play them again at some point, by the end this one doesn't really make me feel that. No desire to go back to the worlds to explore, level up, learn to be a better player. Really, I feel like going back to KH2 again, since I really liked that one and see if I still enjoy it.

Since I've started the game, I might as well start rambling about it.

It feels sooooo good to play a Kingdom Hearts game in so long, and with the traditional command style at that. I love exploring and looking for chests, which feels great since the worlds are really big this time (I'm at Tangled atm, but my brother is up to Frozen). Sora can do a LOT of stuff, a culmination of all the attack styles in the series, and admittedly it feels a tad overwhelming to get so many command prompts in your face. Disney attractions are cute but I find myself not eager to use them since they take so much time haha.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been a 100% blind run, I know a lot of shortcomings:
    Spoiler:
    The story's structuring is just.....not organic and clunky. Sora and company often lampshade as to why they're even at [world], which feels like the game is wasting its own time. The conflict with Xehanort doesn't leave too much time narratively for Sora to mess around in Toy Story or Frozen. It's aimless, first the power of waking (in all its nondescript crypticness Yen Sid won't tell you), then gotta save Roxas (and Ven/Xion, wink wink)....all the Xehanort stuff is just dumped at the endgame. KH2 kinda had some of the same problems in this regard, but half of the journey was Sora, Donald, and Goofy remeeting old friends and getting up to speed, learning where Riku/Mickey were, and fighting the Organization.

I'm at Tangled where it's pretty much the movie beats feat. Sora in the background. How does Rapunzel have her moments outside where she's flipflopping between excitement and guilt, only to notice Flynn's new friends AFTER the fact? No doubt Disney had a hard creative leash for it and Frozen, although I'm not absolving Nomura either. KH worlds function the best when it isn't following the movie beat by beat, integrating the series themes, and having an adventure. Toy Story gets the closest, points for Woody's smackdown of Youngnort.

HERE the worlds are literally a Nort appearing, taunting Sora and/or being cryptic (Xigbar), and.....vanishing. I wanna fight them, when they do that it feels like again, a massive waste of time. My brother had it even worse because he didn't play the side games after KH2, and largely was confused.....so he looked it up himself and concluded that the story was simply too dumb for him to really care about the specifics.
    Granted this is what Story So Far is for (we don't have a PS4, this is on Xbone), but he hasn't been following the series in the sameway I have.

Stop with these.....frustrations in story telling. Maleficent and Pete look for a black box, but they don't find THE black box from the fucking mobile game. Nomura come the heck on. Riku and Mickey go the realm of darkness to find Aqua, only to lose to a shadow tornado (side note - this barely looks intimating, that the best they could come up with?) and go back two minutes later. These should've been reshuffled into acts, segments of the game going on while Sora's traveling. Kairi and Axel (even the game insists to call him this instead, marketing i guess) train in a realm of no time to become keyblade masters. Given that I know what Kairi's fate is, this scene was very very painful.

The worlds were:

"The box" worlds: Olympus and the Caribean
    "Experiments with the heart" worlds: Toy Box and Sanfranstokyo (artificial hearts) and Monstropolis (fear leads to darkness part of the equation)
    "Princess of heart redux" worlds: Corona and ...frozen world.

There wasn't an unifying theme, but why were we in Atlantica (for finny fun?) or Deep Jungle (to murder Clayton) anyways? In one was to make sure the worlds were closed, as once there it was irresponsible to leave them open, and in two they were needed to lead the way and to investigate the OrgXIII, BBS I guess one of them crashed into the world broke the rules and the other two were following their trail, and in DDD it was back to the 1st of "you are here, then you MUST do the keyhole thing".

Maybe with a closing action (keyblade beam of plot resolution or something) on the worlds, instead of "laugh to title" would have left them more conected?

Twiglight Town was hub-ish, and 1k acre woods was 1k acre woods as fuck (no one recorded those cutscenes, so I'm blind there)
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

In KH1 Sora, Donald, and Goofy are traveling to worlds to find Riku, Kairi, and Mickey. Riku's fall into darkness and Malificent's plots are roadblocks to the journey, and it gets more dangerous as it progresses. You want to stop Disney bad guys from doing bad things. And with the exception of Hades, Sora clears them out by one. Each experience cements his bond to Donald and Goofy, which turns the tables against Riku at Hollow Bastian for a nice climax.

I feel it remains the KH game with the best told story. One can scoff at light, darkness, and hearts ad nausem, but the journey was exciting.

update

Hidden:

I'm getting a better hang of combat. All the keyblades have different shotlock (side-note: shotlock is <3) and you can upgrade all of them, so you never have to ditch the older ones. I bemoan the loss of the KH2 limits where it drained your MP, it's just a wee harder to predict the "limits" here, or when to use them. Perhaps the disney attractions could've been another summon mention or something (I haven't even touched the ACTUAL summons lol)
    I haven't died yet on Proud Mode but it has nearly kicked my ass, and I like that. I do love exploring the worlds hunting for treasure and lucky emblems.

I just finished Toy Box and I thought its own tale was a LOT better than Corona's. It's a different story than a movie blueprint, and the themes of Kingdom Hearts - friendship, hearts - mesh very very well with the movie's own characters. Woody laying the verbal smackdown on Xehanort is the best moment of the game so far. Next up is Monster's Inc, seems like a fun adventure.

As for the cooking mechanic.....well, it's nice that it gives some buffs but I can't say I'm compelled to really use it that often. It's.....cute?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information