+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Destiny

Default Destiny

TITLE: Destiny || DEVELOPER: Bungie || PUBLISHER: Activision || GENRE: FPS, Co-Op, MMO || SYSTEM: Playstation & XBox

From the Wiki:

Premise:
    Destiny
    is set seven hundred years into the future in a post-apocalyptic setting following a prosperous period of exploration, peace and technological advancement known as the Golden Age.In a universe where humans have spread out and colonized planets in the Solar System, an event known as "the Collapse" saw the mysterious dissolution of these colonies, the end of the Golden Age, and mankind teetering on the brink of extinction. The only known survivors of the Collapse are those living on Earth, who were saved by "the Traveller", a white, spherical celestial body whose appearance centuries before had enabled humans to reach the stars. The Traveller now hovers above the last remaining human city, and its presence allows the "Guardians of the City"—the last defenders of the human race—the ability to wield an unknown power, only referred to as "The Light".

Upon mankind's first attempt to repopulate and reconstruct after the Collapse, it is discovered that hostile alien races have occupied mankind's former colonies and civilizations and are now encroaching upon the City. The player takes on the role of a Guardian of the City, and is tasked with investigating and destroying these threats before humanity is completely wiped out.

Characters:
    Destiny will center around the journey of the Guardians, the last defenders of humanity, set to protect Earth's last city. Guardians will be divided into three distinct races: Humans, Awoken, and Exo. Humans are described as being relatable, tough, and uncomplicated. Bungie drew its inspiration for the Human race from the military, and the character designs and aesthetics of the Spartans present in their Halo franchise. Awoken, described as exotic, beautiful, and mysterious, were inspired by fictional depictions of elves, vampires, ghosts, and angels. Exo are described as being sinister, powerful, and tireless. Exo were inspired by the undead, Halo's Master Chief, and the titular character of The Terminator. The playable races will be purely cosmetic and will have no effect on the game mechanics of Destiny.

Players will also be able to choose a "class" to go alongside their race. There are three classes available to players in Destiny: Hunters, Warlocks, and Titans. Hunters are a reconnaissance-based class meant to be reminiscent of the classic "bounty hunter." Bungie cites as influences Star Wars's Han Solo and classic characters from old Western films such as Clint Eastwood's Man with No Name. Warlocks combine weapons with special powers from "the Traveler", and are meant to be a form of "space wizard". The Warlock class is influenced by the Star Wars series' Jedi Knights, The Lord of the Rings series' Gandalf, and The Matrix series' Morpheus. Titans, which favor heavy weapons and melee attacks and are intended to be reminiscent of the classic "future soldier", were inspired by Bungie's own Halo Master Chief, Stormtroopers from Star Wars, and other "space marines" from science fiction.

E3 2014 Experience Trailer:

The Alpha for Destiny was released Thursday and having played it, I could not seem to find a thread to talk about how awesome it is, so here is that thread. Basically, this is a FPS/Co-op/MMO game that allows you to team up with other players to explore and go kill stuff! And it's gorgeous!

Right now, I am playing the Titan class and enjoying punching enemies' faces in. Currently L5. So far, the controls feel smooth and intuitive, and of course, the environments are very pretty. The game gives you a well-balanced variety of controls and options without making you feel overwhelmed. There is a Level 8 cap on the Alpha, but some of the enemies go to Level 20-ish (that I've seen), so you might want to stay away from those unless you have a bunch of players with you, because they basically grounded me into dust. The game can definitely be challenging!

The game matches you up with players, or you can join up with your buddies (if they're playing the Alpha as well), or you can ditch your team and try to go at it alone (which I think is harder and less fun). This game has a story, but the Alpha doesn't show too much of that at this time, so we'll have to see how Campaign mode comes along. And apparently you can do PvP, make Clans, and whatnot. I haven't delved too deeply into that yet, but seems like there's lots to do, and that's a very good thing. This game will be released September 9th, 2014.

I have to admit this game was kind of underneath my radar until I actually started playing the alpha--and man, it's a lot more fun & immersive that I expected. For those who have had a chance to play the alpha so far, what Class(es) have you tried and what did you think? For those who haven't gotten a code, you can check #DestinyAlpha on Twitter for people who are giving away codes.

a mood come alive.

Default Re: Destiny

My roommate got in and played as a Warlock. It was pretty fun but I wasn't really into the Warlock's special and I got the distinct impression (on top of just being bad at shooters) that I was way easier to kill in PvP due to low defense. Most definitely going to pick it up, the game looks and plays great and I can't wait to see more.

Having played as the Hunter and the Warlock, I'm greatly enjoying what they're given us for only an alpha. The warlock's special is more powerful, but the Hunter class has more versatility. At least from what they've offered us.

I just hope for more customization and variety from the weapons... which I'm sure will come.

This is one of the games I was really curious about coming out of E3. I've really had a hard time figuring this game out for a long time. I'm not really a fan of the FPS genre much anymore, but this game looks like it has a lot of... flavor, and depth to it. I wanted to try this alpha out but my PS+ membership hiccuped for 5 minutes on an old card which I guess made me ineligible. I don't care enough to try to hunt down a key, but the response to this alpha seems quite positive so I might just check this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I got the distinct impression (on top of just being bad at shooters) that I was way easier to kill in PvP due to low defense.
    Yep, the Warlock's armor-to-cloth ratio is 20:80, versus the Hunter's 50:50 and the Titan's 80:20, so he's definitely the squishy-ist of the three (albeit powerful). Apparently they can be specced for support (Firesinger) or offensive (Voidwalker), with the latter being described as a glass cannon by Bungie. I was testing the Warlock earlier and he's almost certainly going to be a risk/reward type of class, which is okay. I personally don't tend to gravitate toward caster classes, but using his Solar Flare (?) special was pretty damn OP (basically one-shotted that stupid Wizard from the first mission), and that was slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko135 View Post
    I just hope for more customization and variety from the weapons... which I'm sure will come.
    I'm definitely confident that we've only seen a very small part of the array of weapons that the game will offer. One of the features about the weapons that I really like is the ability to level the weapons up and the individual weapon skill trees that allow you to customize it with additional effects.

And looks like some of the weapons have diverging skill trees that will allow you different options for customizing it. I heard they'll also be incorporating combat levels for armor too, as well the ability to change the color of the armor.

a mood come alive.

The RPG element really got me addicted. It's cool that they extended the Alpha. I hope it lasts through tomorrow too.

Unfortunately the alpha has come to a close.

In the final hour I found a giant, low gravity ball in the tower that me and a few other people kicked around.

That aside. Game is great... looking forward to the BETA.

Anyone else having trouble accessing the beta? First Bungie's site was having trouble, and now that I finally got my codes, Playstation's network is messing up.

It's not just you, the servers are probably on fire from all the people trying to download and play this beta at the same time. Keep at it, it took us a few tries to redeem the codes but eventually we slipped through.

SO hype for this beta right now!!

a mood come alive.

I put in one of my codes into the playstation store, and it took it, but then crashed before it could start downloading. Does that mean that code is gone now?

It did that for us too. We put in the download code and then the store crashed before we could start the download. Keep trying to go back to View Downloads in the PSN store, it should show up eventually. It did for us after a number of tries.

Downloading the beta now. 12 gigs, wow.

a mood come alive.

I played the alpha and loved it but decided to skip on the beta...want to keep my anticipation honed to a razor edge for release!

I got extra beta codes for PS4 (Americas):
    5C36-AQNM-8C4A
    PCCK-9KNG-ME2H

This game was not on my radar at all, honestly was gonna pass on it. But I need something to play on my PS4 and I can get behind a Borderlands-esque experience so I pre-ordered and got the Beta. If anyone wants to play on PS4 you can add me at Buuhan1. I still haven't downloaded and started it yet tho and probably won't tonight.

Got a chance to play around with the beta yesterday. Seems kinda fun, but it still seems very much like yet another first person shooter. The $500 million budget and sci-fi setting with multiple worlds and ships and all that seems very promising, but to this point the gameplay itself has been rather one dimensional. Spaceships in particular, at least in the beta, are limited to auto pilot transportation units, rather than flyable objects. I was expecting the GTA of first person shooters with all sorts of alternate gameplay options and distractions. But even though this game seems to have that large, immersive universe going for it, it doesn't seem to act as anything more than a backdrop for more first person shooter action. If this game has anything other than FPS action and a town, I haven't seen it yet.

On the plus side, the crucible shows that the game will have better ground vehicles in the long run that will have weapons on them. Bungie has an expectedly solid FPS going, but getting off of that starter vehicle when stuff starts shooting at you is really clunky. So things like the ground vehicles will definitely enhance the first person shooter experience, but it's still restricted to a first person shooter experience.

Also on the plus side is the FPS combat system itself. It's hard to know until players can get to level 15 and actually see the advanced classes, but they look really cool. The playstyle of them seems really interesting and fun. But at the same time, the end result could cause the process of getting there to suffer. If I'm out by myself and I have a ton of stuff running me down with the intent to melee then it's very difficult. I'm not fast enough to evade and I can't do enough damage to kill all of them before they reach me if my grenade cooldown is down. The later levels seem to have all kinds of cool tools to make use of, but in the earlier levels there can be a lot of suffering.

I don't mean to be pessimistic about the game at all. I really want it to be good. But for a $500 million development budget I just want more options. I want to get into races, I want to go out into space and fly around, I want to sit down and play cards, whatever. I want to do something other than shoot things. But again, to its credit, shooting things is the heart and soul of the game, and that aspect seems good.

Quote Originally Posted by Urouge View Post
    Got a chance to play around with the beta yesterday. Seems kinda fun, but it still seems very much like yet another first person shooter. The $500 million budget and sci-fi setting with multiple worlds and ships and all that seems very promising, but to this point the gameplay itself has been rather one dimensional. Spaceships in particular, at least in the beta, are limited to auto pilot transportation units, rather than flyable objects. I was expecting the GTA of first person shooters with all sorts of alternate gameplay options and distractions. But even though this game seems to have that large, immersive universe going for it, it doesn't seem to act as anything more than a backdrop for more first person shooter action. If this game has anything other than FPS action and a town, I haven't seen it yet.

On the plus side, the crucible shows that the game will have better ground vehicles in the long run that will have weapons on them. Bungie has an expectedly solid FPS going, but getting off of that starter vehicle when stuff starts shooting at you is really clunky. So things like the ground vehicles will definitely enhance the first person shooter experience, but it's still restricted to a first person shooter experience.

Also on the plus side is the FPS combat system itself. It's hard to know until players can get to level 15 and actually see the advanced classes, but they look really cool. The playstyle of them seems really interesting and fun. But at the same time, the end result could cause the process of getting there to suffer. If I'm out by myself and I have a ton of stuff running me down with the intent to melee then it's very difficult. I'm not fast enough to evade and I can't do enough damage to kill all of them before they reach me if my grenade cooldown is down. The later levels seem to have all kinds of cool tools to make use of, but in the earlier levels there can be a lot of suffering.

I don't mean to be pessimistic about the game at all. I really want it to be good. But for a $500 million development budget I just want more options. I want to get into races, I want to go out into space and fly around, I want to sit down and play cards, whatever. I want to do something other than shoot things. But again, to its credit, shooting things is the heart and soul of the game, and that aspect seems good.
    Well technically, the total budget is 500 million, but it is estimated that only 140 million went into development and 360 million went into marketing.

The development budget doesn't always show how much content will be In it, since Max Payne 3 had a development budget of over 100 million. And which was almost double that of Watch Dogs, which was developed onto generation of consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondo View Post
    Well technically, the total budget is 500 million, but it is estimated that only 140 million went into development and 360 million went into marketing.

The development budget doesn't always show how much content will be In it, since Max Payne 3 had a development budget of over 100 million. And which was almost double that of Watch Dogs, which was developed onto generation of consoles.
    $360 million that has not been well spent at all then. Because the marketing campaign that I've seen has been quite ordinary.

$360 million that has not been well spent at all then. Because the marketing campaign that I've seen has been quite ordinary.
    I agree, but it is too early for heavy marketing. If say in the month before the launch, we will be tired of hearing about it. Most of it probably went to Sony and Microsoft. Everytimr I get on my playstation, I see something about Destiny and it's getting console bundles on the Xone and PS4. But I do expect a lot of commercials in late August and early September.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Wish I could go further than level 8 I have lvl 9 gear I can't equip yet
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

500 Mil over ten years, three games and lot's of expansions and DLC. Pretty sure marketing will be on another budged.

So who's gonna play it on 9.9.14? I will, have to buy a PS4 as the PS3 version looked ugly as hell after playing it on the current gen for some time.
    Last edited by Schabrak; August 6th, 2014 at 01:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information