+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Funimation Film Z Discussion

i like john cena and randy playercena5241's Avatar

Default Re: Funimation Film Z Discussion

THEY SHOULD NOT USE HAKI IN THE DUB is like using nakama. that is how me and theresa feel.

NEVER GIVE UP.
    STRAGHT EDGE MEANS I BETTER THAN U.

Haki is a specific term for One Piece. It'd be like calling the "kamehameha" the "turtle destruction wave" (somehow more of a mouthful than the original). Nakama is just friend and should always be translated as such.

When literally translated Haki roughly means something along the lines of "ambition", which is kind of a general term to use to describe a specific kind of technique. Especially considering that there are hundreds of characters with personal ambitions in the series that don't know Haki. Calling it Haki just makes it easy to differentiate from a normal attack or maneuver. It's not like with the term "nakama" which could easily be replaced with the word "friend" or "crewmate" and still retain the same meaning and the only reason why people think otherwise is because it's a foreign word and therefore they view it as automatically more meaningful/cooler than a word that can be easily understood by foreign audiences.

Watched it both days at Ota, and it grew on me more the second time. Something about watching One Piece with others makes it more fun! I took a friend with me the second showing who hadn't heard the Dub (and isn't that big on dubs). She said she enjoyed the main cast a lot but commented that the remaining male voices started to blend together after a while. She conceded that Japan does have a much larger voice actor pool than American companies, but that it was hard to get past for her. Despite that, she enjoyed the translations and was laughing, smiling and cheering as one should through any OP experience.

As for me, just happy to be hearing more Brook. "I love you Chopper" was absolutely perfect!

Some other things I remember about a few translated terms:
    * Kizaru's attack was called Yasakani(?) Sacred Jewel.
    * The Sunny's Gaon Cannon seemed to be kept as such, as it sounded something like Gown Cannon.
    * Fruit names:
    Kizaru: Glint-Glint Fruit
    Ain: Return-Return Fruit
    Bins: Grow-Grow Fruit

Oh, one more thing: one of the company logos included a Despicable Me Minion; must have carried over from the Japanese release, and it was kinda cute.
    Last edited by Shift; August 13th, 2014 at 09:02 PM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    They definitely placed Kizaru as more slow and lazy; he kinda reminded me of Aokiji in that regard.

All the credits were, in fact, translated this time.

I was actually expecting to hear the Reputation song during the fight scene like they had in the commercials; I was surprised when they used both songs just for the credits. For the best, I suppose.

Akainu (which Luffy pronounces as A-ka-EE-nu, for the record) sounds about the same, as in trying to sound like a deep, tough boss man but not exactly succeeding, at least in my opinion. Z is what Akainu should have been.
    Really glad to hear they translated the credits, that always bothered me about Strong World. It always felt lazy and I had always wished that they had done Strong World closer to Movie 8. I'm just wondering was the Japanese text on the Z logo? I kind of wish that Strong World had been translated, because those character introduction screens are really confusing if you can't read Japanese. Maybe Funi will go back in a rerelease and add English text.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
    I'm just wondering was the Japanese text on the Z logo?
    Logo wasn't altered at all, so yes.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

OK, so it was just the credits that was altered, and nothing else, per usual for Funimation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisoto View Post
    As for me, just happy to be hearing more Brook. "I love you Chopper" was absolutely perfect!
    This. I really liked Strong World because Brook has a couple really cute moments in it, but Film Z has him even cuter! I just love that whole thing with him trying to get to bathe with Robin. And later his comments about the clothes he picked for everyone and how they look on him.

I was a little disappointed in Kizaru's voice, though. Maybe I just don't understand the meaning behind the way his Japanese actor talks, but the English actor didn't seem to have the right tone to him. Not entirely sure how to describe what it is that seemed off, but it didn't give me the same feeling about Kizaru that I got when I first saw him in the main series.

Did Luffy pronounce Akainu's name wrong? I don't remember how they pronounced it in Japanese, but it always sounds really strange to hear Luffy say it in the English dub.

This movie has also led to me developing a small crush on Aokiji. I will always love Brook far, far more, but Aokiji is rather cute in this movie, and I love hearing him sing that Marine song.
    Brook makes me happy.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information