+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Funimation Film Z Discussion

i like john cena and randy playercena5241's Avatar

Default Re: Funimation Film Z Discussion

Is Film Z good like Strong World Film. Me and Theresa watch it every week. if yes CANNOT WAIT FOR IT.

NEVER GIVE UP.
    STRAGHT EDGE MEANS I BETTER THAN U.

Yea I say it's just as good as strong world, if not better

I like how the visual quality was fantastic for this movie, I wish it could have been like this for the anime as well, but that will probably happen 4-5 years from now, when technology allows it without being so expensive.

I doubt the show will ever consistently have art-and animation-quality on par with Strong World. Because Toei are a bunch of cheapskates. And because getting animation this good and detailed is less a matter of budget and more a matter of manpower and, most importantly, time. The budget, as far as I understand it, only accounts for the framerate. Animators are paid by the drawing, it doesn't matter how good or bad said drawings look.

Quote Originally Posted by Allwynd View Post
    I like how the visual quality was fantastic for this movie, I wish it could have been like this for the anime as well, but that will probably happen 4-5 years from now, when technology allows it without being so expensive.
    Expecting TV animation to be able to be up to par with movie animation is kind of a lost cause. Schedules are a lot tighter when making animation for television because you have to produce a lot more content than you would with a single movie and on a regular basis as well, and because of that the animators have to take shortcuts in order to complete the product. Shows that run for a long period of time, like One Piece, don't have that luxury especially. If in some alternate universe One Piece turned out to just be a 13 episode long series then having animation quality close to Strong World could probably be more likely, since it would be produced for a single run on TV and then finish. And in the age of all digital animation I can't imagine a way in which producing episodes could get any cheaper without paying animators even less than they get paid now, and that obviously should not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Metwars View Post
    Yea I say it's just as good as strong world, if not better
    AWSOME. we are so excited.

NEVER GIVE UP.

I'll be at the premier this year, so I'll be giving my impressions and can look for anything in particular (but perhaps in spoiler tags).

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by King of Calzones View Post
    Expecting TV animation to be able to be up to par with movie animation is kind of a lost cause. Schedules are a lot tighter when making animation for television because you have to produce a lot more content than you would with a single movie and on a regular basis as well, and because of that the animators have to take shortcuts in order to complete the product. Shows that run for a long period of time, like One Piece, don't have that luxury especially. If in some alternate universe One Piece turned out to just be a 13 episode long series then having animation quality close to Strong World could probably be more likely, since it would be produced for a single run on TV and then finish. And in the age of all digital animation I can't imagine a way in which producing episodes could get any cheaper without paying animators even less than they get paid now, and that obviously should not happen.
    I wish there was a like button so I'd like this post :P

Just got back! I watched half of the film yesterday and half today, so I’ll give my impressions. If I miss anything, just ask and I’ll remember.

First off, Jeremy Schwartz was fan-fricken-tastic as Z (pronounced Zed, as in everywhere-besides-America Z, or Lord Zedd). Great nuance, very strong voice. Kinda makes me picture Fujitora with that accent. And the naval song he and others sing throughout the story was beautifully adapted; a few minor parts that could’ve been adjusted, but lovely all the same.

Ray Hurd as Kizaru? Decent. Like Franky, no one would be able to match that performance and sound credible, and for what it is, Hurd sounds fine. You might be able to hear Kizaru in the trailer, and from my perspective, it was about the same level throughout the film, it didn’t throw any surprises at me.

Ain and Bins were fine as well. Matthew Mercer was certainly not as I’ve seen him before, and Lauren Landa gave me no problems, except for some sobbing at one point which didn’t sound natural.

The only other side characters that stood out (and not in a good way) were the repair dock family. The grandfather sounded very bland, which clashed with his pretty crazy design. His grandson was pretty creepy and quiet, which was fine until they try to pump personality into him before the climax; Luffy even calls him by name, Gully I think. He does give a pretty interesting opinion, but it seemed to come out of nowhere.

But all in all, this was a magnificent movie! Great action, deep emotions, good humor, some none-too-subtle fan service (but some for both genders this time! ;D) Strong World was good, but this was better, bar none.

And yeah, that brand-name lighter cameo was just as blatant as Greg said (two cameos, I should say; the exact same still, the exact same *PING*). Brook gushing about some stylish clothes they bought also whispered “product placement” to me.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post

Ray Hurd as Kizaru? Decent. Like Franky, no one would be able to match that performance and sound credible, and for what it is, Hurd sounds fine. You might be able to hear Kizaru in the trailer, and from my perspective, it was about the same level throughout the film, it didn’t throw any surprises at me.
    Did Ray Hurd at least put a slow-speaking/sarcastic spin to Kizaru's voice? Or is it nothing like the Japanese version?

Just got back! I watched half of the film yesterday and half today, so I’ll give my impressions. If I miss anything, just ask and I’ll remember.

First off, Jeremy Schwartz was fan-fricken-tastic as Z (pronounced Zed, as in everywhere-besides-America Z, or Lord Zedd). Great nuance, very strong voice. Kinda makes me picture Fujitora with that accent. And the naval song he and others sing throughout the story was beautifully adapted; a few minor parts that could’ve been adjusted, but lovely all the same.

Ain and Bins were fine as well. Matthew Mercer was certainly not as I’ve seen him before, and Lauren Landa gave me no problems, except for some sobbing at one point which didn’t sound natural.

The only other side characters that stood out (and not in a good way) were the repair dock family. The grandfather sounded very bland, which clashed with his pretty crazy design. His grandson was pretty creepy and quiet, which was fine until they try to pump personality into him before the climax; Luffy even calls him by name, Gully I think. He does give a pretty interesting opinion, but it seemed to come out of nowhere.

But all in all, this was a magnificent movie! Great action, deep emotions, good humor, some none-too-subtle fan service (but some for both genders this time! ;D) Strong World was good, but this was better, bar none.

And yeah, that brand-name lighter cameo was just as blatant as Greg said (two cameos, I should say; the exact same still, the exact same *PING*). Brook gushing about some stylish clothes they bought also whispered “product placement” to me.
    Awesome to hear! I just got three questions.

1) If you could describe Kizaru's dub voice, how would you describe it? Since he talks all slow in Japanese, did they try to mimic that? Or did they do their own thing?

2) Were all the credits translated into english during the intro and outro? Strong World left it in Japanese, which I feel is tacky.

3) And finally.... did FUNi leave Avril Lavigne's two songs during the credits?

Thanks in advance. So pumped for this.

How about Andrew Love as Akainu? Did it sound any different from the Ohara flashback?

Pretty sure it was confirmed that the Avril Lavigne songs were maintained. Thank God, the only thing that mattered about Film Z was salvaged so American audiences could listen to Canadian renditions of American pop songs for years to come.

They definitely placed Kizaru as more slow and lazy; he kinda reminded me of Aokiji in that regard.

All the credits were, in fact, translated this time.

I was actually expecting to hear the Reputation song during the fight scene like they had in the commercials; I was surprised when they used both songs just for the credits. For the best, I suppose.

Akainu (which Luffy pronounces as A-ka-EE-nu, for the record) sounds about the same, as in trying to sound like a deep, tough boss man but not exactly succeeding, at least in my opinion. Z is what Akainu should have been.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

Film Z sounds good.

I want to see this movie.

NEVER GIVE UP.

Akainu (which Luffy pronounces as A-ka-EE-nu, for the record) sounds about the same, as in trying to sound like a deep, tough boss man but not exactly succeeding, at least in my opinion. Z is what Akainu should have been.
    If I'm understanding your phonics correctly, they pronounced it right then. I was worried after they mispronounced Enies.

Thanks for all of your impressions! It's making me excited for the movie. This movie will be a first for me. I've NEVER seen it in ANY format, and I think the FUNi dub will be the first way I see it!
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

What translation was used for Haki? Did they use "Conqueror's Haki", "Haki of the Conqueror", "Haki of the Supreme King" or something different?

I believe they used conquerors spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Metwars View Post
    I believe they used conquerors spirit
    Exactly; "Haki" was never mentioned. Of course, it's possible the line in Japanese only said "Haoshoku" and not "Haoshoku no Haki", which would mean there's no reason to say Haki anyway.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    If I'm understanding your phonics correctly, they pronounced it right then. I was worried after they mispronounced Enies.

Thanks for all of your impressions! It's making me excited for the movie. This movie will be a first for me. I've NEVER seen it in ANY format, and I think the FUNi dub will be the first way I see it!
    Yeah, more exactly it's like "Ah-kah-EE-nu". Just clarifying it isn't "Ah-KAI-nu" like Robin said during Aokiji's introduction.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

Jozu referred to Shanks' Conqueror's as "haki" in the dub, so it's not like the translators are completely omitting the term from the dub.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information