+ Reply to Thread
Page 876 of 892 FirstFirst ... 376 776 826 866 874 875 876 877 878 886 ... LastLast
Results 17,501 to 17,520 of 17840

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by kagekageking View Post
    yeah, i knew things had reached an absurd level when they decided to start censor south park.

https://www.mediaite.com/entertainme...sensitivities/
    reform.the.fucking.police.and.stop.bullshit.censor ing.comedy.
    Last edited by pariston_hill; September 30th, 2020 at 07:13 PM. Reason: wtf, why my caps lock doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Yeah, I knew things had reached an absurd level when they decided to start censor South Park.

Shouldn't really be surprised since some of that stuff never aged very well to start with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Gotta agree with that one comment saying it's ridiculous to remove the Boondocks episode.
    It's.... Boondocks.

The episode in question is from season 3.
    If you don't know the flavor/style of the show by the time you get there, that's on you.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

I mean knowing the Boondocks doesn't much to explain Uncle Ruckus who is supposed to be a living breathing Uncle Tom who for reasons not even Aaron McGruder can explain is friends with Robert despite being an open racist, more so in the TV show than in the Comic.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Yeah, I knew things had reached an absurd level when they decided to start censor South Park.

It . . . doesn't say they're censoring South Park, though? The dropped episodes are from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Boondocks, and The Shivering Truth. I can understand dropping the ATHF and Shivering Truth episodes, but Boondocks is, well, Boondocks.

^ I think he meant in the past tense since I know a few years ago they got in some trouble for their depiction of Mohammad but I don't remember if that was edited or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    It . . . doesn't say they're censoring South Park, though? The dropped episodes are from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Boondocks, and The Shivering Truth. I can understand dropping the ATHF and Shivering Truth episodes, but Boondocks is, well, Boondocks.
    Before this news, there was a ban on a South Park episode that focused on the pandemic.

Thank god i bought the dvds so i can avoid the book burning

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Shouldn't really be surprised since some of that stuff never aged very well to start with.
    I don't think it's a matter of if the material aged well or not, but try to hide it under covers by censoring that fact, that along with societal acceptance changed during the decades of cultural production, and situational exaggeration in comedy is a means to show how much a societal concept is bogus. Trying to avoid it's existence is denying that there was ever a period where prejudice and racism of the writers and show runners reflected in the product they created.

While true on some level regarding the conundrum of censoring there still should be some level of awareness among modern writers whether something they come up
    with that they know is blatantly offensive is going to be seen for what it is and with that avoid putting it in their work.

I mean it was one thing when animators of the 30’s, 40’s, & 50’s inserted culturally insensitive jokes such as blackface or played up specific stereotypes such as Asians having buck teeth or wearing rice grower hats. But there’s not much excuse for that stuff now.

It's a complicated discussion and one that many are still struggling with. Disney, for example, may never figure out what to do with Song of the South. And it's not like we can resurrect MLK or Malcom X and ask for their suggestions, we have to figure it out for ourselves.

While true on some level regarding the conundrum of censoring there still should be some level of awareness among modern writers whether something they come up with that they know is blatantly offensive is going to be seen for what it is and with that avoid putting it in their work.
    I agree with this, it's not because a joke was ok in the 40's that it should be okay now.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

It's a complicated discussion and one that many are still struggling with. Disney, for example, may never figure out what to do with Song of the South. And it's not like we can resurrect MLK or Malcom X and ask for their suggestions, we have to figure it out for ourselves.
    Shelve it or put a content warning before showing it, they can't deny they produce it but they can opt not to make it available anymore with the statement that while the jokes a representation done in the movie where acceptable in it's time of production, it's no longer acceptable and the ideas presented are reprimendable.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

https://twitter.com/Gaohmee/status/1312554977244536832

YALL. The #ProudBoys hashtag has been hijacked by the gays to piss off the Nazis and Iíll happily do my part by flooding the internet with the only acceptable proud boys out there: the very gay ones Rainbow
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

You go, gays. You are the proudest of us all.

Ah the gays fucking with the nazis, a tradition as old as time.
    Last edited by pariston_hill; October 5th, 2020 at 05:13 AM.

Argh, I hate censorship like this. Damn cancel culture x.x

Honestly, it's better just to put warnings into place I guess x.x

Well, I think if they were to release it, have warnings explaining this was from a different time and not to have it viewed with a modern sense. Sorta like what they did with the old Looney Toons cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Ah the guys fucking with the nazis, a tradition as old as time.
    Well, there was one time I argued with a crazy guy online that I was very sure was a white supremacist. He strongly believe in "race science", or the idea that some races are smarter than others, but he just refused to listen when I tried to debunk him. Even telling him I know many smart black folk, while he thought there was only like four. =_= In the end I had enough of his bullshit and blocked him.

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Argh, I hate censorship like this. Damn cancel culture x.x
    As far as I know no one pushed them into pulling these episodes they did this voluntarily.

Well, I think if they were to release it, have warnings explaining this was from a different time and not to have it viewed with a modern sense. Sorta like what they did with the old Looney Toons cartoons.
    A fraction of which are still edited or donít air at all.

As far as I know no one pushed them into pulling these episodes they did this voluntarily.
    Ah, I see x.x

A fraction of which are still edited or don’t air at all.
    Well damn, honestly they would good for education purposes possibly. I feel like to view history it's important not to put in a modern sense, but try to understand why it was done back then. I know for me personally it be nice to understand how things went back in the old days and to see how far we come from those times, you know?

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

A formal article on the gay community hijacking the #ProudBoys hashtag.
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Well damn, honestly they would good for education purposes possibly. I feel like to view history it's important not to put in a modern sense, but try to understand why it was done back then. I know for me personally it be nice to understand how things went back in the old days and to see how far we come from those times, you know?
    Well the most obvious reason is that animators back in the could get away with things they obviously couldn't today.......that and some of them were blatantly racist.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information