+ Reply to Thread
Page 864 of 864 FirstFirst ... 364 764 814 854 862 863 864
Results 17,261 to 17,270 of 17270

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Great. Another potentially pandemic virus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53218704
    Hopefully.... it won't change to a pandemic. Though on a different topic, I wonder how they come up with the different virus names. It feels like a bunch of letters and numbers put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    The return of Jaws.

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - 雄塩; Character - Ayano Sugiura; Series - Yuru Yuri
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/goddessarisu/; Discord: Starla Lily-Moon#2548
    ~Formerly known as Stranger~

As scientific names do, it is either a sequential code or initials of something. Probably both.

I hope the communist party brings the hammer down on that pig farm instead of the investigators and doctors this time.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    As scientific names do, it is either a sequential code or initials of something. Probably both.
    Yeah, someone on a Discord server helped explain to me how they got for the Coronavirus and the flu (H1N1). So, it's nice to know to be honest.

I hope the communist party brings the hammer down on that pig farm instead of the investigators and doctors this time.
    Hopefully, we really don't need another pandemic in our hands.

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - 雄塩; Character - Ayano Sugiura; Series - Yuru Yuri
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/goddessarisu/; Discord: Starla Lily-Moon#2548
    ~Formerly known as Stranger~

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Hopefully.... it won't change to a pandemic. Though on a different topic, I wonder how they come up with the different virus names. It feels like a bunch of letters and numbers put together.
    Viruses are named based on their genetic structure to facilitate the development of diagnostic tests, vaccines and medicines. Virologists and the wider scientific community do this work, so viruses are named by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV).

Well for instance, SARS is an abbreviation of
    Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome.

covid-19 is a breakup of parts.
    COrona-the main name
    VI-virus
    D-disease
    19-the year is was first noted

Corona itself means "crown" in latin, no idea why they went with that.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I always assumed 19 meant it was 19th strain of the virus discovered, since I remembered hearing that this isn't the first iteration of it.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Because that's how the virologists that first discovery the corona strain in '68 thought that the virions looked liked a solar corona.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Taxonomist also know their job is horrific boring so they pull an Araki an try to put cultural references on the names or go completely bizarre with latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    I always assumed 19 meant it was 19th strain of the virus discovered, since I remembered hearing that this isn't the first iteration of it.
    It's like the second major one, and maybe the sixth or seventh variant overall. Not where the 19 comes from. It is 100% from the year.

There are dozens of variations of just the one thats a big deal right now. Some with boosted ability to spread, while others strengthened the ability to invade cells. The real worry is that a nastier mutation occurs, as happened with Spanish flu in 1918.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Viruses are named based on their genetic structure to facilitate the development of diagnostic tests, vaccines and medicines. Virologists and the wider scientific community do this work, so viruses are named by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV).

Well for instance, SARS is an abbreviation of
    Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome.

covid-19 is a breakup of parts.
    COrona-the main name
    VI-virus
    D-disease
    19-the year is was first noted

The first time I saw it I kept reading it as COR-vid, which made me think they were naming it after the raven of death or something. lol

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is going to great lengths to protect his privacy on the Hawaiian island of Kauai, where he purchased a 700-acre plot of land in 2014 for more than $100 million.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/19/1...perty-lawsuits

I wonder how how it turned out 3 years later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information