+ Reply to Thread
Page 835 of 835 FirstFirst ... 335 735 785 825 833 834 835
Results 16,681 to 16,689 of 16689

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

I kinda got that when you said that the first time. But still I wouldn't lose any sleep if anyone of these people blew their fingers off building explosives,lost their jobs, got suckerpunched on camera, shat on by their father in the middle of their podcast etc.

You support or spread inhumane and morally wrong views you don't deserve neither sympathy or compassion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I never really get the mantra behind firing someone for having a toxic viewpoint.
    Jobs should be all about how good you are at what you've been hired to do. Everyone has the right to put in a good day's work and earn their pay.
    As long as they aren't harrassing their co-workers or customers, they should still be able to earn a living.
    That's just basic stuff in my opinion. It makes zero sense to me to rip a livelihood away just for someone's personal views.

That's putting more people on the welfare system too, so you've ensured that you're putting your tax money directly towards their life.
    Good job.

Also, someone having rotten viewpoints doesn't give people a pass to punch them in the street.
    I believe that no matter what, that's textbook assault and should result in a conviction.

You suckerpunch someone in the street, then I will assume you were always a violent thug at heart and saw your perfect excuse to finally hit someone and not be seen as a hoodlum.

You guys can call me a naive pacifist all you want,
    you can paint me as someone who isn't fully aware of what these guys stand for,
    but the truth is that I'm very aware. And I agree that some of these guys are moronic scumbags.
    But I will NEVER budge on my belief that they still have rights as citizens that shouldn't be crossed.
    Simple as that.

In fact, I'm one of those people who's so opposed to harming other people that (if it was up to me) I'd personally approve every single death penalty appeal without even reading it.
    Yeah, I'm a big ol softie. I don't really care, I'm happy to be one.
    Just wanted to say something, even if I'm pissing in the wind with this.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

For all the talk we have about Neo-Nazis getting their way, it's nice to know some of them are have to pay a Muslim-American for lying about him because he's Muslim:
    https://news.yahoo.com/judge-determi...wer&soc_trk=fb

Now see, this is awesome.
    Congratulations to Obeidallah for the successful lawsuit! :D

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/13/trum...ddle-east.html

What a nice and completely not suspicious timing

The problem with saying that people can lose any claim they might have to sympathy or compassion over their views on morality and humanity is this: Morality and humanity are fluid concepts and change with the times. More than that, as concepts, they are guaranteed to change from person to person, even within the same social group.

If history has taught us anything, I think it’s that people DO have a right to sympathy and compassion no matter what they believe, how they behave, or who they associate with. I doubt that anyone will effect real change in another’s viewpoint without first sympathizing with them.

But maybe that’s just the teacher in me talking.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    I never really get the mantra behind firing someone for having a toxic viewpoint.
    Jobs should be all about how good you are at what you've been hired to do. Everyone has the right to put in a good day's work and earn their pay.
    As long as they aren't harrassing their co-workers or customers, they should still be able to earn a living.
    The problem though is many of them do harass co-workers and customers. The second problem is that toxic viewpoints can create bad optics for a company or organization that can ultimately hurt their bottom line to say nothing of violating their policies.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    that's putting more people on the welfare system too, so you've ensured that you're putting your tax money directly towards their life.
    With Republicans trying to make it harder to collect welfare not really.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGreenBlue View Post
    If history has taught us anything, I think it’s that people DO have a right to sympathy and compassion no matter what they believe,
    You don't offer sympathy and compassion to legitimately awful people. Especially when those beliefs have already lead to them doing bad things and being unapologetic about it. Maybe if you're a devout religious type believes that god is forgiving to all kinds of people but everyone else? no.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGreenBlue View Post
    I doubt that anyone will effect real change in another’s viewpoint without first sympathizing with them.
    I highly doubt you'll affect real change in anyone's viewpoint by essentially giving they a rub on the back and saying "there, there it's not bad to hate people because they're homosexual or non-white and think the former should burn in hell while the latter needs to go back to the country of their origin or that of their ancestors".

Unless you support the same views I don't see how you can logically sympathize with someone who shares those views.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; June 13th, 2019 at 09:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Actually, I do offer sympathy and compassion to people who are being legitimately awful... I'm kind of trying to do so right now. Please understand, I see where you're coming from. Neo Nazis hold some actually terrible beliefs, and even act on them too. But that does not change the fact that they are simply people. Crazy, stubborn people! But people can also be quite brilliant and caring, in fact most people believe themselves to be so. No one really considers themselves to be the villain in their own story, know what I mean?

Everyone must start somewhere. Humans are social creatures and learn best by observing and listening to others. The best teachers know that you cannot enlighten someone or change their mind when you talk down to them and offer them no sympathy. In no way does that mean you have to agree with what they think.

All I'm saying is that you're beginning to sound a lot like the people you are ridiculing - you refuse to accept another group of people for reasons that you hold dear (not the same reasons as them, but reasons nonetheless). Maybe you can sympathize with them more than you think.

The next time you meet someone who appears to be ridiculously wrong about something, I suggest that you take the time to listen to them and hear their point of view. Effectively all Americans are actually racist, hold some racial bias or stigma, whether they realize it or not. That does not mean that they identify as racist even if you recognize them as such. The only way to get through to them and open their eyes is to communicate with them and help to broaden their horizons.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

For example:

Many scientists are actually of the opinion that the scientific community at large is mostly to blame for the Flat Earther phenomenon. Yes, the people who believe that the world is flat are unequivocally wrong. But they are still thinking, rational people (as rational as people can be anyway), and often take great offense at being called out for their false beliefs by those who know better. Many Flat Earthers continue to identify this way even when they begin to see that they are wrong simply because the Flat Earther community is far more friendly to them than the scientific community is. I imagine that many people who are part of Neo Nazi groups must also feel this way (they question their own beliefs, but are afraid to leave a community that they have been part of for a significant time, lose friendships, status, etc.).

Instead of ridiculing them for believing in something so patently false, it's best to talk to them and sympathize with their point of view. Try to understand where they are coming from, and then gently share your perspective in hopes of showing them that not all scientists/leftists are self righteous know-it-alls or sheeple or part of the NASA/MSM conspiracy.
    Last edited by RedGreenBlue; June 13th, 2019 at 10:15 PM.

2 whole countries are out of electricity right now!
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/16/w...a-uruguay.html

Same thing happened in Brazil in one day last year.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information