+ Reply to Thread
Page 821 of 821 FirstFirst ... 321 721 771 811 819 820 821
Results 16,401 to 16,412 of 16412

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    Around here Santa is commonly used as a way for parents to get kids to behave lol

They threaten to "call Santa", and if nothing changes they pick up the phone to say:
    "Hello, is this the North Pole? I'm sorry, but can you cancel your visit to our house this year? My kids don't seem to want your gifts after all."

And behaviour then changes pretty damn quickly!
    See that's what really bothers me. That's where it stops being just some cute story (that kids should never be told is real in the first place) and becomes a means to threaten your kids. And for what? It's not like they're absolving themselves of responsibility for the threat. They're still the ones "calling Santa" for present withholding. At that point why not just go for broke and tell your kids they're going to spend an eternity burning in hell for being bad. In fact I'd consider both of those lies equally abusive.

I feel like that, but as a non parent and only child, I don't know how trully effective logic is against a child.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I'm not sure what the logical difference is between "I'll tell Santa not to come" and "I'm not going to let you have presents."

Parents and a need to "protect" their kid is always a terrifying combination. I still remember back when i was a kid and the local parents group organized against darkwing duck for teaching kids to use violence. I imagine that mr santa isn't real could have done similar kinds of damage to more young malleable minds if they hadn't taken action against him. Maybe ban him from teaching altogether, or atleast one of those on display cages where the local peasentry can shame him with rotten vegetables

Can someone please explain to me why it is wrong to encourage children to be well behaved? Threatening to call Santa and threatening to withhold presents are the same thing, yes. But is that really wrong? Children also have a responsibility to be kind and respectful, no? Remember, presents are a reward for being a good person. Nothing wrong with taking that away in the right circumstances.

Never too early to teach kindness, I think.

Now, the real value of Santa, to me, is the idea of giving gifts without being caught. There’s nothing more rewarding than for you to do something kind for someone else with no expectation of recognition for your deed.

When children are old enough to start to see that Santa isn’t real, that’s when you teach them how to be a Santa!
    Last edited by RedGreenBlue; December 5th, 2018 at 06:37 PM.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

Does the dutch santa still have that dude in blackface with him?

Quote Originally Posted by RedGreenBlue View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why it is wrong to encourage children to be well behaved? Threatening to call Santa and threatening to withhold presents are the same thing, yes. But is that really wrong? Children also have a responsibility to be kind and respectful, no? Remember, presents are a reward for being a good person. Nothing wrong with taking that away in the right circumstances.

Never too early to teach kindness, I think.

Now, the real value of Santa, to me, is the idea of giving gifts without being caught. There’s nothing more rewarding than for you to do something kind for someone else with no expectation of recognition for your deed.

When children are old enough to start to see that Santa isn’t real, that’s when you teach them how to be a Santa!
    You seem to have missed the main point. There's nothing wrong with teaching good values to children. But doing so through a lie, and then being subsequently shocked and appalled at anyone who betrays that lie, is pathetic IMO.

The idea of Santa being a symbol of altruism is one that isn't commonly spread and probably not understood by kids. At best you get the concept of "holiday spirit" as if people don't deserve kindness year-round. Also Santa doesn't do it for free! I have it on good authority that he expects milk and cookies =P .

maxterdexter mentions the concept of "baby jesus" in latin america but failed to mention one of the most horrific artistic results from that concept:

In short, the kid is asking his mom why there are no toys, and if it's because "baby jesus" doesn't like him or because his mom did something terrible.

Which leads to one of my issues with this concept of "Santa": how does that logic make sense for underprivileged kids or kids who face difficulty? Sure, there's charities and such to make sure these kids get toys, but that doesn't happen to everyone.
    Propagating this concept that assigns responsibility to some higher force for determining who was "naughty" or "nice" can lead to stupid stuff like kids feeling extreme guilt or fear over doing "bad" things or getting easily manipulated by other people into "do x or you're bad and won't get any presents". Which can be terrible considering children don't have higher ethical development than follow rules = good, get prize = good.

When it's really just as doable to be a parent and talking to the child. My brother knows that when he fucks up and gets bad grades my mom doesn't give him the presents I send, and that works just as well, if not better, than attributing that decision to Santa. Also, it's not a bad thing to establish that presents are conditional on the well-being of the household and remove the pressure from parents to produce the best toy ever or their kid will feel like shit because Santa didn't read the letter. Also also, it lets the kids know that they should communicate desires to the parents in order to get what they want, and AS A RESULT parents can actually interact with their kids and learn why they like things or what they want and why instead of just reading some list from a kid that probably sucks at communicating in a letter format.

In the end to me this is in the pile of topics where I feel parents should really just respect their kids a lot more. Kids are not as stupid as people think, and in assuming stupidity they set them up to be stupid.

Actually, I wonder how many kids that "believe in santa" aren't just going online on their own and figuring out it's just a myth on their own.

It is also shitty when the kid ask for one super rare toy, and they have been good all year, and the parents go out of their way to get it, and it's the hot shit of that christmass, they find some replacement more expensive than the original desire, and then the kid is dissapointed. I was that kid once, and I made my parents feel like shit because I didn't like that one present.

There is also the logical consequence of Being good -> Toys, meaning No Toys -> Bad, something that is common in poorer households, so the connection of Poor -> Bad is there in their developing minds.

Besides, tying morality to omnicient patriarchs gatekeept by your elders lead to crusades and stuff.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Want something cool? How about listening to sound on Mars?
    https://ascienceenthusiast.com/nasa-...Jn8vkBWIGU8Q_4

It may just be wind, but it's fucking awesome.

As a parent now, I still keep the tradition of Santa because that is what my son is excited about. Sure I use the be good or Santa won't come, but we usually use that on extreme cases. To be fair you are right, it is a less than ideal practice to withhold for good behaviour, but my son knows when he's being bad and sometimes you have to remind him that bad actions have consequences.

It is a different perspective on this side, it really is Foolio. Sometimes keeping the magic of jolly old saint Nick is what they want, who am I to not encourage it.
    Last edited by Shuhan; December 8th, 2018 at 10:42 AM.

*startled Catra noises*

OMG You are a parent so cute. We need more good parents.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information