+ Reply to Thread
Page 794 of 892 FirstFirst ... 294 694 744 784 792 793 794 795 796 804 844 ... LastLast
Results 15,861 to 15,880 of 17840

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Well IMO, Trump does deserve some credit for it. But politics aside, this is a really big development, however you view it. Overall USA has more to benefit from this than either China or Russia.It also reduced geopolitical tensions and threats to stability
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

Quote Originally Posted by sggupta View Post
    Well IMO, Trump does deserve some credit for it.
    lol what did he do.
    The last big news in Korea was Kim going to visit newly super dictator mode Xi Jinping.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    lol what did he do.
    Jong-un probably saw that Trump was going for superficial obnoxious supreme leader with a cult following and a ton of lies about his successes and thought "damn, I thought that was my role in life. Guess I better change course."

I had heard that the North Koreans were confused by how Trump was acting in his presidential role and had a hard time making sense of what he truly would and would not do given his wild swings and how he contradicts himself and his staff and just changes his mind on a seeming whim. I could imagine that the apparent irrationality and what it might lead to could have played a part in how they would attempt to handle it. Dunno if one should attribute that to Trump as such, but on the other hand i suppose that someone more stable like Obama for instance wouldn't have made them so wary of what the US might do. Of course i'm not really in the know, and maybe the stories have been blown out of proportions but the whole suggested scenario doesn't seem that farfetched to me.

lol what did he do.
    The last big news in Korea was Kim going to visit newly super dictator mode Xi Jinping.
    I think wolfwood puts it quite well

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I had heard that the North Koreans were confused by how Trump was acting in his presidential role and had a hard time making sense of what he truly would and would not do given his wild swings and how he contradicts himself and his staff and just changes his mind on a seeming whim. I could imagine that the apparent irrationality and what it might lead to could have played a part in how they would attempt to handle it. Dunno if one should attribute that to Trump as such, but on the other hand i suppose that someone more stable like Obama for instance wouldn't have made them so wary of what the US might do. Of course i'm not really in the know, and maybe the stories have been blown out of proportions but the whole suggested scenario doesn't seem that farfetched to me.
    His overall hawkish policy seems to have worked,and unlike what people assumed Kim was a rational actor and his bluff was called.

Credit should also go of course to the south korean govt, who put this whole process underway after the winter olympics outreach by Kim's sister

http://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/2140266/trump-no-dangerous-idiot-his-nifty-diplomacy-north-korea-and

Let’s give credit where credit’s due. Do you honestly think Kim’s sudden charm offensive sprang from a heartfelt desire to be a peacemaker? He would still be testing missiles if Trump hadn’t
    threatened fire and fury with a nuclear button that he said was bigger than Kim’s, who he mockingly called “little rocket man”.

What scares people is Trump’s brash unpredictability. You never know if he really means what he says. At least with poker-faced card players, you can risk calling a bluff. But dare you assume it’s a bluff when a mercurial leader with his finger on the button of the world’s most potent nuclear arsenal makes a threat?
    People say that’s what makes Trump such a dangerous idiot. But this dangerous idiot got Kim to
    send his sister and athletes to the Winter Olympics in South Korea, to stop further nuclear missile testing, to set up a summit with South Korean leader Moon Jae-in, offer to meet Trump, and to travel to Beijing to break the ice with Xi.
    same goes for China

Again, let’s call a spade a spade. Do you really think it’s by accident that China now promises to further open its markets and pledge it will no longer demand foreign firms hand over hi-tech secrets if they want to do business on the Chinese mainland? It was Trump’s threatened trade war that rattled Xi enough to send envoys to the US to discuss market opening. Xi is expected to make a market-opening speech at next week’s Boao Forum.
    Last edited by sggupta; April 21st, 2018 at 06:57 PM.
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

‘Imploding’: Financial troubles. Lawsuits. Trailer park brawls. Has the alt-right peaked?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...226_story.html

Quoting the portions that were excerpted in the forum post I originally saw the article mentioned at:

The problems have been mounting: lawsuits and arrests, fundraising difficulties, tepid recruitment, widespread infighting, fierce counterprotests, and banishment from social media platforms. Taken together, they’ve exhausted even some of the staunchest members.

One of the movement’s biggest groups, the Traditionalist Worker Party, dissolved in March. Andrew Anglin, founder of the Daily Stormer, the largest alt-right website, has gone into hiding, chased by a harassment lawsuit. And Richard Spencer, the alt-right’s most public figure, canceled a college speaking tour and was abandoned by his attorney last month.

“Things have become a lot harder, and we paid a price for what happened in Charlottesville. . . . The question is whether there is going to be a third act,” said Spencer, who coined the name of the movement, which rose to prominence during the 2016 presidential campaign; advocates a whites-only ethno-state; and has posted racist, anti-Semitic and misogynistic memes across the Internet.

The alt-right “is on a downward spiral, but it doesn’t mean they’re going to disappear and that they’re not going to regroup,” said Marilyn Mayo, who studies hate groups for the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism. She said one large group called Identity Evropa — which targets college-age men, is less extreme in rhetoric and has turned away from the alt-right label — has grown recently.

“The overall level of racism in U.S. society hasn’t improved, it’s just that the organizing space for these types of networks” has largely been depleted, said Schiano, whose group rose out of Occupy Wall Street and documents social protests. “So the latent potential won’t go away unless society becomes less racist.”

The Traditionalist Worker Party, which at its height operated in at least eight states and had about 1,200 paying members, according to its leaders, also collapsed last month. It was perhaps the most institutionally organized of all the groups making up the alt-right. It had a clear hierarchy: Paying members reported to regional commanders, who in turn reported to the top leaders living in a trailer park in Paoli, Ind., where everything came apart last month.

The dynamic between co-founders Matt Parrott and Matthew Heimbach has always been unconventional. Heimbach is married to Parrott’s stepdaughter from a former marriage, and the two men lived in neighboring trailers, where they promoted traditional gender roles in addition to white-supremacist beliefs.

According to a police report obtained by the Southern Poverty Law Center, Heimbach began sleeping with Parrott’s wife. In early March, the two told Parrott and Heimbach’s wife that the three-month affair was over. But days later, according to the police report, a plan was concocted to catch them in the act. Parrott was outside, standing atop a box, watching Heimbach and Parrott’s wife through a window when the box broke. His cover presumably blown, Parrott went to confront Heimbach, who allegedly choked him, according to the police report.. Parrott lost consciousness, then fled to a Walmart, where he called police, who reported that Heimbach appeared to have violently grabbed his own wife’s face.

Heimbach was charged with felony domestic battery, the Traditionalist Worker Party disintegrated, and Parrott, speaking on the phone earlier this month, sounded different than the triumphant white supremacist who in the days after the Charlottesville rally promised that he and the alt-right were here to stay.
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

His overall hawkish policy seems to have worked,
    North Korean leaders would have a tremendous amount to gain from some sort of Syria style attack, it would be the finest propaganda victory they could hope for. These are the people that still give the Korean War biblical levels of importance and sacredness. Single petty things like captured spy boats are major tourist destinations.
    Weathering some missile strikes would allow the leadership to empower their hold even more.
    The idea that they were scared of Trump is hilarious.

Credit should also go of course to the south korean govt, who put this whole process underway after the winter olympics outreach by Kim's sister
    All this and you attribute basically nothing to some high level meeting Kim had with Xi Jinping who just assumed the most centralized power China has had since Mao Zedong. Do you understand what that means for a generally renegade vassal state like NK?
    His Grandaddy got to play the USSR and China against eachother.
    His daddy got to deal with a constantly revolving door of Chinese leadership.
    He now has one big aggressive kingpin who isn't going anywhere, and no USSR to balance it out.

And cool article about how China apparently rolled over for us, rather than reality where we are still wading into a trade war with them lol.

North Korean leaders would have a tremendous amount to gain from some sort of Syria style attack, it would be the finest propaganda victory they could hope for. These are the people that still give the Korean War biblical levels of importance and sacredness. Single petty things like captured spy boats are major tourist destinations.
    The fact that they give immense importance to a decades old war, couldn't that indicate that they have maxed out on the externat threat propaganda?

Weathering some missile strikes would allow the leadership to empower their hold even more.
    I am not too sure about the internal situation in Korea, but from all accounts there seems to be high inflation and general economy is not that great

what do you think will happen if you force a war upon an army in such a situation? already reeling under hardships and deficient in supplies and arms, many in the miilitary would start rebelling. Plus any external threat would force the army to mobilise. who will keep control of the cilivians then, suffering from harships as they are?

can they fight a war with all the internal volatility they face?

All this and you attribute basically nothing to some high level meeting Kim had with Xi Jinping who just assumed the most centralized power China has had since Mao Zedong. Do you understand what that means for a generally renegade vassal state like NK?
    of course china had an important role to play as well. despite the usual impression Xi actually didn't have good relations with fatty

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    ‘Imploding’: Financial troubles. Lawsuits. Trailer park brawls. Has the alt-right peaked?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...226_story.html
    I am genuinely in awe over the sheer lunacy on display; my mouth is agape. Not only is the gentleman married to the other man's ex-stepdaughter he is ALSO sleeping with his father-in-law's wife! I can barely believe it, and yet I am not surprised in the slightest. Their escapades do rather put the entire alt-right movement into perspective.

Just to contribute something meaningful, there was a shooting in Nashville, TN where four people were gunned down at a Waffle House. According to police, he was armed with an AR-15 and little else; he was naked save for a green jacket, which he shed after the shooting.

Naked gunman kills four in Nashville Waffle House

The suspect has NOT been apprehended. So if anyone is in the Nashville area stay safe.

That weird moment when the leader of Nortk-Korea is wiser than the US president...
    We'll get back to our usual relation with N-Korea in 2020 though
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

His Grandaddy got to play the USSR and China against eachother.
    His daddy got to deal with a constantly revolving door of Chinese leadership.
    He now has one big aggressive kingpin who isn't going anywhere, and no USSR to balance it out.

And cool article about how China apparently rolled over for us, rather than reality where we are still wading into a trade war with them lol.
    You're right that Trump himself deserves next to no credit for NK's actions of late. However, it is also true that the NK leadership really was confused by and frightened of the US response to the escalating tensions last year. With no truly clear message coming from the US administration (Tillerson says no regime change, Pompeo says yes, Trump says... "my button's bigger"), and a nonexistent diplomatic connection between the two countries, the NK leadership was left to nervously try to piece everything together themselves using their broken English.

Again, you're right to put more emphasis on Xi's influence. The NK-China relations last year were tepid at best, and I think that the NK leadership was also a little frightened at the prospect of China possibly not backing them if a fight with the US were to break out on the peninsula.

Regardless, the NK leadership's message to its people is that their testing was done, anyway - that they'd proven the efficacy of their warheads and delivery systems (even if not necessarily in tandem). Thus, there is no need to continue testing at this point.

All that said, the most disturbing part of all of this is that the US is still confused over just how NK was able to ramp up their missile and weapon system production so much over the last several years. I suspect that either Russia or China (or perhaps both) were covertly providing much of the needed technology and expertise. It certainly seems that we once again have yet another pretty unstable country with Nuclear strike capability on the stage now.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

"Waffle House shooting suspect arrested by Nashville police" - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1HU0FY
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

his father broke a promise to police and gave the suspect access to guns

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

While the Father's actions are asinine, I don't understand the Police's reasoning at all either.

Step 1: Confiscate guns from a suspect with a history of severe mental illness
    Step 2: Give guns to the closest relative
    Step 3: ????
    Step 4: Profit?

I just cannot even fathom how this was a remotely sound idea. Legislation or no if we have such slipshod measures of law enforcement we will never get anywhere with gun control.

The fact that they give immense importance to a decades old war, couldn't that indicate that they have maxed out on the externat threat propaganda?
    lol hell no

I am not too sure about the internal situation in Korea, but from all accounts there seems to be high inflation and general economy is not that great
    Bud I'm getting this feeling like you really don't know anything about NK, and to have this debate I'd have to build you up.
    Go read up on it, watch some creepy documentaries.
    "economy is not that great" is barely even scratching the surface of how fucked up that place is.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Didn't they print out a thing for civilians on how to eat grass?

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Didn't they print out a thing for civilians on how to eat grass?
    http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la...330-story.html

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

That is really goddamn sad. All for the sakes of a evil and corrupt dynasty of fat fuckers leeching them dry.

The key word there gupta is "again".

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information