+ Reply to Thread
Page 783 of 892 FirstFirst ... 283 683 733 773 781 782 783 784 785 793 833 883 ... LastLast
Results 15,641 to 15,660 of 17840

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

  1. #15641

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Concerning gun control. Ever time there is a mass-shooting, american newspapers/media mention that it has nothing to do with guns, because the Swiss have guns too and they don't kill each other. Except that the Swiss aren't allowed to carry ammo/have a loaded weapon, they can only shoot at the range.
    I'm saying this because this kind of article pisses me off
    They're always omitting that it's forbidden to carry ammo because they're too scared to call for a ban on guns.

    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    The college gave all of us incoming freshmen a gift bag with stuff that included a "safety whistle" to blow in case we were assaulted. So majority female population or not they didn't forget to help us prepare for the worst.

    I did have a friend who caught a guy sitting in a car on campus jerking off. So while nobody was hurt the fact that that even happened is a gross thing to think about.
    What's wrong exactly with US campuses? And what's the thing with frat boys ?
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

  2. #15642

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    the fact that this keeps happening in america and barely any country else is bizzare. what is it about schools that attracts mentally disturbed individuals?
    stricter gun rules would've definitely made it harder for this person to commit this massacre, things like an age limit and psychological screening should definitely be added when applying to a weapon permit.

  3. #15643

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Teenagers aren't the best at making decisions. This is a dark fantasy that was brewing way too much time, or a fatal impulsive action.

    A few years back in spain someone brought a crosbow to class: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32380705

    Yes, he built it himself, but think of the damage that this kid would have been able to do with a gun.


    And Venezuela... well, I don't want to talk about it. but if it happens, I wouldn't learn about it.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  4. #15644
    Discovered Stowaway thegab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    US- Midwest

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Concerning gun control. Ever time there is a mass-shooting, american newspapers/media mention that it has nothing to do with guns, because the Swiss have guns too and they don't kill each other. Except that the Swiss aren't allowed to carry ammo/have a loaded weapon, they can only shoot at the range.
    I'm saying this because this kind of article pisses me off
    They're always omitting that it's forbidden to carry ammo because they're too scared to call for a ban on guns.


    What's wrong exactly with US campuses? And what's the thing with frat boys ?
    Frat boys and frats pretty much represent rape culture perfectly.

    Nothing's wrong with US campuses. More so the people on the campus. 1 out of 5 women experience sexual assualt on their college campus. It's to the point it almost feels like commonplace. Idk if it's the post - high school surge of feelings or the new found freedom, but guys (I'm a dude ) proudly act terrible to women. The whole frat tradition should end, and many colleges are ending them

  5. #15645
    Discovered Stowaway fedcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montréal

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I think class more than anything. The women's colleges I know do try hard to make sure their students are diverse, but if anything they have to be careful they don't have TOO many Asian girls, or the balance will go off the other way. My cousin went to Wellesley (alma mater of Hillary Clinton), and going to her graduation I swear every time they called a common Asian surname there would be this giant line of girls. Seriously, when "Kim" was announced I thought they would never end.

    Although Wellesley has extra attraction to Asian families because Madame Chiang-kai Shek went there. They have a porcelain elephant from her in the Admissions office and everything.
    Do these schools also blatantly discriminate against Asian students like Ivy League schools do? Because with the latter I have no idea why that's even remotely considered acceptable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strooger View Post
    I can't remember the last time I had a class where the girls weren't the ones standing for the majority of the hands raised, joining student councils and administrating trips for the whole class. A girl taking up the role of the class mommy is damn near inevitable, whether it'd be the kids of a bunch of rich yuppies or otherwise. There is however a noticeable trend for guys to act dumber than they actually are and never commit to anything except the bare minimum because I guess they want to come of all flippant about school.
    That's been my experience in my entire schooling life too.
    NNID: julsjacket

  6. #15646

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    That number is not always accurate. As you can read in this report (page 15) it's often a result of oversimplifying the data and attributing it to all campuses, when in reality it's most likely only representative of a select few. Just wanted to clear that up, that number has been misquoted and used to create unnecessary fear too many times.

    With that said any sexual assault is one too many, and there's no excuse not to do everything one can to decrease the number of sexual assaults down to zero.
    I'm willing to bet though that the campuses skewing data are the ones with really heavy frat culture.

  7. #15647

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by fedcom View Post
    That's been my experience in my entire schooling life too.
    My experience too.
    Boys usually just want to participate in things when there is an election on something to fuck around and be elected for the lulz.

    Seriously, I once ended up at the student council because I had promised people that they'd be allowed to smoke weed in their room
    (I wasn't even trying to fuck around in the first place. The other guy with me was just giving a lame speech, so I just said that thing about smoking weed. And tbh, I didn't even know that I had signed up for this election. like, it was a set-up. )
    Last edited by Nilitch; February 20th, 2018 at 05:34 PM.
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

  8. #15648
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: bsfxkopebanaqoljjiaywxkhbevdpwt

    Quote Originally Posted by thegab View Post
    Frat boys and frats pretty much represent rape culture perfectly.
    One reason I was glad to be at a school without any frats.

    Quote Originally Posted by fedcom View Post
    Do these schools also blatantly discriminate against Asian students like Ivy League schools do? Because with the latter I have no idea why that's even remotely considered acceptable.
    Not at all. Like I said lots of Asian families like their girls to go to women's colleges, if only because there are no boys there to distract them from their studies or *gasp* mess with their chastity. The only time it's hard for girls is if they come from Asia directly and are still mastering their English.

    If anything, it's the students from the Middle East who are still gaining their footing on the campuses. Which makes me sad, but one step at a time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I'm willing to bet though that the campuses skewing data are the ones with really heavy frat culture.
    Would not surprise me at all.

    Boys from our neighboring colleges (UMass Amherst, Hampshire, and Amherst) were allowed to take classes there. First class they usually got a lot of suspicious looks, but once they proved that, yes, they were there to seriously study, they were welcomed. I thought about taking a class off campus, but decided there wasn't anything I really wanted to take.

  9. #15649
    Terminally Apathetic y2kyle89's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where I went, there I was

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Umass Amherst does have statues/figures of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the W.E.B duBois libary. So it has that going for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

  10. #15650

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Welp...This is why I don't think people have thought through arming teachers. You're asking someone to kill a kid.

    https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ntent=20180222

  11. #15651
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by y2kyle89 View Post
    Umass Amherst does have statues/figures of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the W.E.B duBois libary. So it has that going for it.
    Ahahaha. Yes, there is definitely that. Don't forget Scooby Doo's creator!

    UMass Amherst is definitely the best out of all the UMass campuses, but there was still too much partying there for me to want to go there. They don't call it "Zoo Mass" for nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Welp...This is why I don't think people have thought through arming teachers. You're asking someone to kill a kid.

    https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ntent=20180222
    *growl*

  12. #15652

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I don't know the specifics about the prior mass-shootings in schools but the difference this time seems to be that:
    -It's easier to start a movement/protest when Trump is president.
    -yuppies kids have been killed it seems. Which means more politicized children and parents.


    Also, lol at everyone not blaming the shooter himself because "just a kiddo" "mental illness" and "don't have time, let's blame the GOP first" even though the boy is just a dumbass and is not ill in anyway. And it's true that Republicans are the first to blame, but it seems like no one ever says how much of a dumbass the boy is, they always go "poor kid, let's try to understand his feelings"
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

  13. #15653
    The Album Guy Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Also, lol at everyone not blaming the shooter himself because "just a kiddo" "mental illness" and "don't have time, let's blame the GOP first" even though the boy is just a dumbass and is not ill in anyway. And it's true that Republicans are the first to blame, but it seems like no one ever says how much of a dumbass the boy is, they always go "poor kid, let's try to understand his feelings"
    I can't speak for everyone, but I have no sympathy for this kid (who isn't even really a kid, since he's 19). I'm only sorry that he couldn't get whatever help he needed to prevent him from being so motivated to do something like this.

    But the thing is, I don't think anyone's arguing that he's not at fault. He's been arrested and he's going be tried for his crimes. The problem is that this the latest in a long string of mass shootings that this country has yet to do anything significant about. If this was a once every 20-30 years thing, we'd still grieve, but there probably wouldn't be a huge outcry for change (unless there was something we believe could be improved on to prevent it).

    Like, if you're a shepherd and a wolf keeps killing your sheep, but you still refuse to build a fence to keep it out, at some point it stops becoming the wolf's fault.

  14. #15654

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    I don't know the specifics about the prior mass-shootings in schools but the difference this time seems to be that:
    -It's easier to start a movement/protest when Trump is president.
    -yuppies kids have been killed it seems. Which means more politicized children and parents.

    Last week with you was "wait untill they kill a celebrity" and this week is now "they are yupie kids so they make noise", there is finally traction to this thing, and in fucking Florida, wether they make a difference or not, it's going to impact the next elections.

    The difference this time is that they tried to make it go away faster than it usually does, for some reason, and just made the fire stronger.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  15. #15655

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I can't speak for everyone, but I have no sympathy for this kid (who isn't even really a kid, since he's 19). I'm only sorry that he couldn't get whatever help he needed to prevent him from being so motivated to do something like this.

    But the thing is, I don't think anyone's arguing that he's not at fault. He's been arrested and he's going be tried for his crimes. The problem is that this the latest in a long string of mass shootings that this country has yet to do anything significant about. If this was a once every 20-30 years thing, we'd still grieve, but there probably wouldn't be a huge outcry for change (unless there was something we believe could be improved on to prevent it).

    Like, if you're a shepherd and a wolf keeps killing your sheep, but you still refuse to build a fence to keep it out, at some point it stops becoming the wolf's fault.
    yep, which I understand. I was just pointing out that maybe we all forget the other problems that aren't only gun control.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Last week with you was "wait untill they kill a celebrity" and this week is now "they are yupie kids so they make noise"
    Yes and ? Is it not true ? Even, not true at all in the slightest ?
    Am I in any way contradicting myself ? I don't get your point, except that you're choosing one explanation when there are many.
    " the protest is growing faster which for some reason makes it stronger (if I understand you correctly)" sorry if I'm trying to understand why exactly. And sorry again if it's not politically correct to say they're rich kids and Trump is president. It's not like I was blaming the kids. I just don't know if high-school students would have started such a protest if Obama was there instead. Douchebag Trump being president sure makes people want to overthrow "things" more. I mean, it makes "progressists" stronger obviously. I'm just observing. After #metoo we're MAYBE about to get something on gun control too (honestly, I don't think this will go that far). Which is astonishing for a conservative country like the US.
    The only explanation for me as of now, is that "progressists" felt that they were suffocating when Trump got elected, which makes them stronger. Like, wanna punch harder when you feel like your world is falling apart. Just like far-right wingers have gotten stronger under Obama, it seems like "progressists" are getting stronger under Trump

    (I'm putting quotation marks around "progressists" because compared to holy Yorop they're merely progressist.)
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

  16. #15656

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    yep, which I understand. I was just pointing out that maybe we all forget the other problems that aren't only gun control.


    Yes and ? Is it not true ? Even, not true at all in the slightest ?
    Am I in any way contradicting myself ? I don't get your point, except that you're choosing one explanation when there are many.
    " the protest is growing faster which for some reason makes it stronger (if I understand you correctly)" sorry if I'm trying to understand why exactly. And sorry again if it's not politically correct to say they're rich kids and Trump is president. It's not like I was blaming the kids. I just don't know if high-school students would have started such a protest if Obama was there instead. Douchebag Trump being president sure makes people want to overthrow "things" more. I mean, it makes "progressists" stronger obviously. I'm just observing. After #metoo we're MAYBE about to get something on gun control too (honestly, I don't think this will go that far). Which is astonishing for a conservative country like the US.
    The only explanation for me as of now, is that "progressists" felt that they were suffocating when Trump got elected, which makes them stronger. Like, wanna punch harder when you feel like your world is falling apart. Just like far-right wingers have gotten stronger under Obama, it seems like "progressists" are getting stronger under Trump

    (I'm putting quotation marks around "progressists" because compared to holy Yorop they're merely progressist.)
    Is it even possible for you to post without gobs of passive-aggression and condescension? Like you're not even fucking arguing with anyone in this case, you're talking about protesting kids and somehow this definitely the time and place for more peacock strutting and harrumphing at the Yankee Pig Dogs.

  17. #15657

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    No one is blaming americans here. I'm sorry if you're upset because I said "which is astonishing for a conservative country like the US". I'm just doing the "analysis" newspaper-readers usually do (should do).
    And even if I was, it's never the right time to complain about the états-uniens anyway

    And I didn't mean to be mean to someone who wasn't even part of the discussion. Sorry ? I guess
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

  18. #15658

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    I don't know the specifics about the prior mass-shootings in schools but the difference this time seems to be that:
    -It's easier to start a movement/protest when Trump is president.
    I guess you really don't know about it then. Obama made it his policy to prevent those shootings. Republican congress said otherwise. Trumpl's narrative was always pro NRA in his campaigns so he doesn't seem to care. But people care, surprisingly. Man, what an easy explanation.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

  19. #15659

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    West Virginia Judge Dismisses Murray Energy's Case Against HBO, John Oliver
    https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...rgys-case.html
    I know it's impossible and highly inappropriate, but it would have been infinitely awesome if the last words of closing statements from the judge were "Eat shit, bob."

  20. #15660

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    I guess you really don't know about it then. Obama made it his policy to prevent those shootings. Republican congress said otherwise. Trumpl's narrative was always pro NRA in his campaigns so he doesn't seem to care. But people care, surprisingly. Man, what an easy explanation.
    Dude, how is it in any way contradicting my point ? Just please understand that there are many explanations.

    And there was no such protest after the Las-Vegas shooting. So no, it's not just because the president is Republican
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts