+ Reply to Thread
Page 757 of 893 FirstFirst ... 257 657 707 747 755 756 757 758 759 767 807 857 ... LastLast
Results 15,121 to 15,140 of 17857

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    *already enshrined the religious freedom thing in the founding documents during the 1500's*
    I'm going to guess that was involved in the same series of events, and more specifically the independence wars against Spain?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I'm going to guess that was involved in the same series of events, and more specifically the independence wars against Spain?
    Correct, it was this treaty which was followed two years later by a formal declaration of independence, which in turn inspired Jefferson's Declaration of Independence (both open with a justification that a king can be dethroned if he doesn't respect God-given inalienable rights and then go on a long tantrum about tax tyrants). Obama, as a nerd obsessed with that document, specifically wanted to see the Dutch variant when he visited here (and making him more knowledgable on Dutch history than 99% of Dutch people).

Of course those Mayflower fuckers still thought it wasn't quite good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    I guess I must be the only person here who thinks banning the burqa/niqab is a good thing. Maybe it's because it has already been banned here since 2011, who knows..
    Now that I think about it, in 2011 Hillary Clinton (and basically everyone else from the Obama administration) were criticizing this law (I believe Belgium also passed a similar law) because of---- freedom.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

MbN says he'll return SaudiArabia to "moderate islam"

“We are simply reverting to what we followed – a moderate Islam open to the world and all religions. 70% of the Saudis are younger than 30, honestly we won’t waste 30 years of our life combating extremist thoughts, we will destroy them now and immediately.”

Let's take this with a grain of salt though
    if he really is serious about that and that really happens finally Iranian people can get to Haj without having unnecessary problems and finally Iranians can stop having fear of radical Sunni Arabs attacking Iran so the support for the Iran presence in Syria and Iraq and Yemen will become much less and that money can finally be spent on people
    But it would be too easy right?

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

You saying you're not against the ban but also think it'd be good to ban the burqa/niqab ? I'm confused. Or maybe it's because it's 3a.m. here... I need some sleep.

What do you mean by Faith School as substitue ? High-school with a church and class about Jesus and stuff ?
    Yeah, you need the sleep, because not being against something and being for it are pretty similar, if not identical. There is no contradiction in what I said...

Faith Schools as in schools which are made specifically with a Christian/Islamic/Jewish based curriculum in mind, rather than a typically secular curriculum you'd get in a state school.
    It's not so much a problem in Christian faith schools, as they're really widespread so the government is used to dealing with them and ensuring they have adequate curriculums. But with the growing Islamic Faith schools and the smaller prevalence on Jewish faith schools, the UK in particular has had a lot of trouble regulating what is taught and whether these schools adequately teach in a way that's equivalent to state school/better. There's a few gov reports in the UK suggesting an alternate society is growing in strict islamic and orthodox jewish areas, and the idea of schools that reinforce this is a little concerning to me. I want my melting pot, not a alternate societies running parallel and rarely merging with mainstream society.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Correct, it was this treaty which was followed two years later by a formal declaration of independence, which in turn inspired Jefferson's Declaration of Independence (both open with a justification that a king can be dethroned if he doesn't respect God-given inalienable rights and then go on a long tantrum about tax tyrants). Obama, as a nerd obsessed with that document, specifically wanted to see the Dutch variant when he visited here (and making him more knowledgable on Dutch history than 99% of Dutch people).

Of course those Mayflower fuckers still thought it wasn't quite good enough.
    Well, that seems incredible, especially at a time when my country was establishing the best institution ever. The inquisition! Nobody expects the inquisition! Hell, until 1974, Catholicism was official state policy, essentially. And we still have judges quoting the Bible to exempt men who beat up adulterous women. But this is more of an exception. Although something like 95% of people identify as catholics, I'd say only something like 30% actually go to church weekly and follow their religion thoroughly. Thankfully, entering the EEC and the Schengen area has helped mentalities change a lot in the past 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by firelord111 View Post
    if he really is serious about that and that really happens finally Iranian people can get to Haj without having unnecessary problems and finally Iranians can stop having fear of radical Sunni Arabs attacking Iran so the support for the Iran presence in Syria and Iraq and Yemen will become much less and that money can finally be spent on people
    But it would be too easy right?
    MbS is seen more or less as a liberal, but I've read somewhere that a "liberal" speech had already been heard 10 years back in Saudi Arabia which resulted in--nothing.
    The difference now is probably that the Arabs are trying to diversify their economy and not rely too much on oil. This is why they're making a campaign about how open, modern and liberal they are

The country will soon open beaches where tourists will be able to buy alcohol and wear bikinis (only for foreigners).

And maybe that's why he's saying things about moderation and sounds like a revolutionary, to be appealing to westerner tourists. No one wants to chill on the beaches of a North-Korean like country. And he'll probably have to do more than just building special places for tourists, because people have no reason to go to Saudi Arabia instead of the Mediterranean countries. Saudi Arabia is too far.
    My point is that he's doing all this for the westerner tourists, not sure if things will get better with Iran.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

This is unconnected to that, it goes back farther and deeper in American culture and history. This really isn't talked about enough even in our own US history classes, but look at that century when the original colonies got going. The 1600's. Then look at what was going on back in Europe and specifically the British Isles as well during that same time frame.
    Secularism was arrived at in America differently than France. And our understandings of what it means are very different.
    How what you just said contradicts what I'm saying ? Especially when the UK has more or less the same liberal issues with the US nowadays. Scientology is recognized as a religion in the UK too.
    And even though countries have different traditions about secularism it doesn't change that the problem is liberalism in the end.
    Even in the 90s when scientology has been defined as a cult in France, the US tried to give a lesson about "freedom of religion" and "tolerance" to France

How what you just said contradicts what I'm saying ? Especially when the UK has more or less the same liberal issues with the US nowadays. Scientology is recognized as a religion in the UK too.
    I'm not as familiar with the UK's secularism relationship, but I imagine it is to some degree similar to the US considering the same conflict was involved.

This is totally off the cuff theory but...
    To an extent I think this is a Southern Europe/Northern Europe difference, places that saw more Reformation violence paired with them either becoming majority Protestant or diverse between Protestant and Catholic? Arrived at secularism (or an early form anyway) through a sense of survival and exhaustion. Their secularisms are characterized perhaps by live and let live.
    Whereas areas in Europe that remained staunchly Catholic, with the Catholic church deeply embedded in the politics and power system? Their relationship with secularism started later sometime in the past 200 years. Where secularism ended up being more about firmly ripping an entrenched religious power structure out of power.

So...
    Northern European: Secularism is how we don't kill each-other, secularism means people get to do their thing and not step on eachothers toes over it.
    Southern Europe: Secularism means kicking that shit out of the government and locking the door behind it. And stay out! I'm watching you! Bastard!

And even though countries have different traditions about secularism it doesn't change that the problem is liberalism in the end.
    Problem?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...P=share_btn_tw

Because the idiots didn't learn from Sandy Hook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...P=share_btn_tw

Because the idiots didn't learn from Sandy Hook.
    ..... The Government is currently run by NRA Employees The GOP...... do these morons think ALL US Politicians are secretly out to take their guns through a False Flag, even though every time a shooting happens the Republicans successfully shut down any attempt to get real legislation passed?... Like, what the fuck is the endgame here?

Step 1: Republican-led government starts a False Flag
    Step 2: Democrats introduce legislation to introduce reasonable restrictions that might lessen future tragedies Take everyone's guns
    Step 3: Republicans kill any chances of that happening
    Step 4: President Trump gets told he's a good boy and is given a juice box
    Step 5: Several months of mustache twirling and hand-wringing until it's time for the next one.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

I've never understood this rhetoric. Most people don't want to ban guns outright, just regulate them better. Yet you always have people that go "NO THE SECOND AMENDMANT PROTECTS ME, GOV'T IS EVIL" and freak out. Do they sleep with these high powered guns under their pillows or something? Preparing for some zombie insurgence I don't know about?

Granted I've never even held a gun before, but I don't just get it.

Oh god, now everyone's favorite Alt-Reich asshole Milo Yanagadabada has gone on TV and is adding to the "False Flag" conspiracy bullshit saying now that Ellen DeGeneres is in on it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

[QUOTE=Demon Rin;3836727]Oh god, now everyone's favorite Alt-Reich asshole Milo Yanagadabada has gone on TV and is adding to the "False Flag" conspiracy bullshit saying now that Ellen DeGeneres is in on it.[/QUOT

Conspiracy nuts and just total assholes like this Yanwhatever really piss me off. I recent read an article that some nutjobs were giving death threats to some of the Vegas shooting survivors. A Canadian man who survived being shot in the head received threats calling him a scumbag for "spreading such lies" and they hoped he "really gets shot in the head". WTF
    Now Milo YanIwantAttention goes and says bullshit just to get attention. GRRrrrrr

I wonder if producers will think twice before taking Kevin Spacey in their movie now.

It would be interesting though given how James Woods seemingly didn't get publicly ostracized for him making sexual advances towards a 16 year old and of course Roman Polanski continuing to get work in spite of him actually having sex with a minor.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Andy Dick got fired recently for sexual harassment. Which is not surprising in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Andy Dick got fired recently for sexual harassment. Which is not surprising in the least.
    Not least of all because no one likes Andy Dick.

https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.wash...-in-manhattan/

What seems to be a new terrorist attack took place in New York

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    and of course Roman Polanski continuing to get work in spite of him actually having sex with a minor.
    yeah btw I'm going to attend a masterclass he'll give this Saturday at the French "cinémathèque". Feminists are manifesting there--- we even had two Femen yesterday, and the Minister of Women's Right spoke up against this and said something like uuhh "we shouldn't roll out the red carpet for rapists" e.v.e.n. though he's been making his movies here for the last decades anyway

yeah btw I'm going to attend a masterclass he'll give this Saturday at the French "cinémathèque". Feminists are manifesting there--- we even had two Femen yesterday, and the Minister of Women's Right spoke up against this and said something like uuhh "we shouldn't roll out the red carpet for rapists" e.v.e.n. though he's been making his movies here for the last decades anyway
    Child molestation expires after a few decades.

Child molestation expires after a few decades.
    Guess Kevin Spacey really is in the clear then

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information