+ Reply to Thread
Page 756 of 892 FirstFirst ... 256 656 706 746 754 755 756 757 758 766 806 856 ... LastLast
Results 15,101 to 15,120 of 17838

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

An estimate. http://theconversation.com/quebecs-n...xtremism-86055

Even in Ontario, having been at Muslim events quite a lot, I would guess that you have 1 niqabi for every 500-1000 hijabis. They are rare.
    No offence Femme, but both the article and your estimates have a couple problems going for them.

The article has 3 keys figures: 114000 muslim women, 0.7% wear niqabs, 90 women.

Problem is... 0.7% of 114000 isn't 90... it's more like 800. So I'm a little confused by that. I'm also struggling to find their source :/ (NVM, found it, go to my EDIT)

As for your estimates, those would put the numbers at 100-200 people. But my guess is that the women who are emancipated enough to go Muslim events, even accompanied... probably aren't the same women whom are forced to wear Niqabs when they do go out, and most other times will stay at home in all but exceptional circumstances.
    Also I don't really trust your ability to discern that it's actually 1/500-1000 (0.1 or 0.2%) without conducting a proper study. It just sounds like a questionable guesstimate, even if you're immersed in muslim events all the time. It's just too small a fraction for an accurate guess.

E
    DIT2: Again I have to re-edit this. So it turns out that 'experts put the number of niqab wearing women in Quebec at about 100'... but The Conversation is a really really dishonest with its statistics, which is why they mashed all the figures together in their article. 0.7% (of Quebecans) reflects the number of women wearing veils, 100 is the experts estimate of niqabs being worn. No idea how the article Femme linked to got to 90, but either way, they tried to make 0.7% = 90. Which is stunning. Just stunning.
    Original Article with the correct stats: https://globalnews.ca/news/3811998/commentary-nobody-surprised-quebec-going-after-niqab-again/

nb. this article gives no source for its 'experts', so I'd say its as good a guess as Femme's. Especially since the journalist who wrote that article appears to be pretty awful at numbers.

This is why I f*cking hate journalists. Surely it can't be hard to portray the statistics correctly, instead of mashing together two completely unrelated numbers and making the original publication look bad.
    Last edited by AfroSamurai; October 24th, 2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Bad journalism and writing before reading thoroughly.

Yeah sorry I was in a rush to get to the airport so I just grabbed that article without proofreading, 90 was a number I had heard being quoted often. In any case they are few, especially in Quebec.

As for not trusting my judgement, sure, but I’ve worked at and organized events with 1000 to 15,000 muslims in attendance in Ontario and I know what I’ve seen.
    Hidden:

It's weird that SJW has become such a derogatory thing.

Like. "How dare you fight for social justice".

Because equality, and treating people with respect is a bad thing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It's weird that SJW has become such a derogatory thing.

Like. "How dare you fight for social justice".

Because equality, and treating people with respect is a bad thing, right?
    You can handily blame GamerGate for that. Before then, it was a more neutral-positive term, but GGers turned it into a negative

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

It sounds kinda silly, I'd take them more serious if they were known as Supersonic Mega Cool Civil-rights Defenders.

Is like here, they call the fascist "The Ultras".
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I feel like I'm always side eyeing people use use liberals or SJW as an insult.

I'm sorry I want people to be treated with respect and for all of us to have proper freedoms and not to be dick slapped by the government and religious nut jobs.

It's seriously the most mind boggling thing. You're pissed cause you can't make hurtful jokes about brown people, disabled people, women and lgbtq folks?

There was a time when 'SJW' could refer to a specific type of (in-name-only) "progressive", who'd be stereotyped as one who overly engages in callout culture (cyber-cullying?), finding probelmatic stuff about your favorite media, congregating in Tumblr, etc. but nowadays in a post-GG Trump era, it seems to be mostly used by the chuds/right-centrists who enable them as shorthand for 'people who support bad stuff like Black Lives Matter, Antifa and removal of Confederate Statues'

(Best SJWs are Shaun, Hbomberguy and Contrapoints)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    You can handily blame GamerGate for that. Before then, it was a more neutral-positive term, but GGers turned it into a negative
    I'd actually say even before that it started out as a progressive friendly way of calling out a certain witch-hunt minded usually ignorant purist. The sort who cared less about the issues themselves (which they were often dumb as heck about), and more about an almost Born Again Christian style "I AM CLEAN NOW, AND YOU ARE THE SINNERRRR" toxicness.

Then yes Gamergate grabbed it and ran off with it, and now it's a retarded word that is thrown at anything and everything progressive.

It's definitely started with 4chan, as most shitty things do

the strangest to me is when people used it to describe disingenuou social justice supporters when "slacktivist" did that so much better

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    the strangest to me is when people used it to describe disingenuou social justice supporters when "slacktivist" did that so much better
    Slacktivist seems more fitting for people who run their mouth but are otherwise no walk.
    Whereas the original use of SJW was aimed more at the Woke Again Nutters. Whose problem wasn't enthusiasm.

I guess I must be the only person here who thinks banning the burqa/niqab is a good thing. Maybe it's because it has already been banned here since 2011, who knows..
    Now that I think about it, in 2011 Hillary Clinton (and basically everyone else from the Obama administration) were criticizing this law (I believe Belgium also passed a similar law) because of---- freedom.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

MbN says he'll return SaudiArabia to "moderate islam"

“We are simply reverting to what we followed – a moderate Islam open to the world and all religions. 70% of the Saudis are younger than 30, honestly we won’t waste 30 years of our life combating extremist thoughts, we will destroy them now and immediately.”

Let's take this with a grain of salt though

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Is like here, they call the fascist "The Ultras".
    Ultras are violent football hooligans. There is a certain crossover between ultras and neo-nazis, that is when you’re called an ultranationalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    I guess I must be the only person here who thinks banning the burqa/niqab is a good thing. Maybe it's because it has already been banned here since 2011, who knows..
    Now that I think about it, in 2011 Hillary Clinton (and basically everyone else from the Obama administration) were criticizing this law (I believe Belgium also passed a similar law) because of---- freedom.
    The freedom in question this time really isn't a joke, religious freedom is a big deal in the US, and it's one of the good big deals. This ain't no gun insanity.

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

MbN says he'll return SaudiArabia to "moderate islam"

“We are simply reverting to what we followed – a moderate Islam open to the world and all religions. 70% of the Saudis are younger than 30, honestly we won’t waste 30 years of our life combating extremist thoughts, we will destroy them now and immediately.”

Let's take this with a grain of salt though
    No, you're not alone, I'm also not against it. I'm not a highly vocal supporter, I think there are more important things on the agenda, but I have nothing against it.

But then i've always held the concept of "religious freedom" in very low regard. Especially when it comes to whether Faith Schools should be allowed as a substitute for state (or up-to-standard private) education. It just baffles me that countries like the UK allow such practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    The freedom in question this time really isn't a joke, religious freedom is a big deal in the US, and it's one of the good big deals. This ain't no gun insanity.
    I know right, I believe it's because the US kind of "worships" liberty. I mean, they have a liberal way to see liberty. It works for freedom of speech as it works for freedom of religion.
    In the US the law says scientology is a religion, in France it says it's a cult.
    In the US you can say on TV that the Shoah is a lie, in France you'd end up in jail if you do so.

At the NationalAssembly, out of 577 deputies only one deputy voted against the law in 2010. It doesn't mean that every deputies are racists or intolerant.
    Even the grand mufti of the Paris Mosque was against the niqab and said there was no such thing in the Quran.

We're talking about banning the burqa/niqab, not about this insane thing some radical right-winger mayors (and also the prime minister.....) tried to do.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    No, you're not alone, I'm also not against it. I'm not a highly vocal supporter, I think there are more important things on the agenda, but I have nothing against it.
    You saying you're not against the ban but also think it'd be good to ban the burqa/niqab ? I'm confused. Or maybe it's because it's 3a.m. here... I need some sleep.

But then i've always held the concept of "religious freedom" in very low regard. Especially when it comes to whether Faith Schools should be allowed as a substitute for state (or up-to-standard private) education. It just baffles me that countries like the UK allow such practices.
    What do you mean by Faith School as substitue ? High-school with a church and class about Jesus and stuff ?

I know right, I believe it's because the US kind of "worships" liberty.
    This is unconnected to that, it goes back farther and deeper in American culture and history. This really isn't talked about enough even in our own US history classes, but look at that century when the original colonies got going. The 1600's. Then look at what was going on back in Europe and specifically the British Isles as well during that same time frame.
    Secularism was arrived at in America differently than France. And our understandings of what it means are very different.

*already enshrined the religious freedom thing in the founding documents during the 1500's*

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information