+ Reply to Thread
Page 713 of 892 FirstFirst ... 213 613 663 703 711 712 713 714 715 723 763 813 ... LastLast
Results 14,241 to 14,260 of 17833

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

  1. #14241

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    don't give Nick Spencer more credit than he deserves
    he's a hack and a coward

    Set Art by Daily Rowlet

  2. #14242

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    I don't think you know what a hack is.

  3. #14243
    Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dragon View Post
    Those crazy hostile remarks go beyond just one picture. They were already angry long before that. They're the kind of people who prowl the internet looking for any excuse they can find to lash out.
    Just to defend the Marvel haters a little, Marvel has been exceptionally awful in the recent year. And seeing something as beloved as Marvel get completely neutered of it's action in favour of terrible storytelling where every villain is white, male, and privileged, while every single female character seems to be a stereotype of a left wing activist: twitter obsessed, rallying against racism and social injustice on the internet, and only occassionally doing anything 'heroic' to change things. Not to mention that every story seems to have gone from 'comic book hero' story to 'slice of life about first world problems with an occassional 3rd world issue thrown in to show how evil America and the wealthy are while not actually presenting any threat for the heroes to fight'. The company's basically been hijacked into being purely political commentary. X-men used to do that, but at least it didn't shove the issues down your throat while ignoring basic comic book writing, there was still an element of fighting and heroism.

    Compare to DC, which has knocked it out the park since rebirth, staying apolitical and focusing on comic book villains and stories. Marvel's writing has gone down the drain, and it's very easy to see how readers might turn on female writers and editors whom are perceived to be pushing a strong political agenda down their reader's throats, while completely ignoring the formula that kept Marvel going till now.

    Does that justify any of the horrible diatribe that is being sent to the milkshake girls for apparently the sin of not having a male in the room? No. Of course not. It's horrible and shouldn't be condoned.
    But it's not like it's 'prowling the internet for any excuse to lash out' either. These people are angry because of a perceived attack on their values, on what they hold dear, on their childhood heroes and stories. Sure, their response goes overboard... but it's not like there's no 'reason' for it at all.

  4. #14244

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Can't find the news in English but, Alfredo Garcon, "united left" leader is an asshole.

    In the middle of all this shitshow, some anti government protesters threw an incendiary device to the police, under a state of law or against a police or national guard force that if were used against a "left force" he would be focusing on their crimes

    Like these: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.2f13bc53c1a4

    Or the fact that the bombers were an angry mob that armed itself, not an angry mob armed by the government: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/2...president.html

    Called him an hypocrite on twitter, but I'm still very angry, as this asshole is the one who the people I studied with here support as President.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  5. #14245

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    The company's basically been hijacked into being purely political commentary.
    Just like they were in the 40's, 60's, & 80's?

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Compare to DC, which has knocked it out the park since rebirth,
    Yeah and this was after years of pissing people off with the New 52.


    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    But it's not like it's 'prowling the internet for any excuse to lash out' either.
    Unfortunately that is what it looks like.

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    These people are angry because of a perceived attack on their values, on what they hold dear, on their childhood heroes and stories.
    Oh they're suffering from the same first world problems that the heroes they're bitching about are fighting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  6. #14246
    Colin Baker Apologist Mr. Zoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mobile

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Compare to DC, which has knocked it out the park since rebirth, staying apolitical and focusing on comic book villains and stories. Marvel's writing has gone down the drain, and it's very easy to see how readers might turn on female writers and editors whom are perceived to be pushing a strong political agenda down their reader's throats, while completely ignoring the formula that kept Marvel going till now.
    So, uh, I take it you haven't been reading Green Arrow rebirth.

  7. #14247
    Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Just like they were in the 40's, 60's, & 80's?
    Yeah and this was after years of pissing people off with the New 52.
    Unfortunately that is what it looks like.
    Oh they're suffering from the same first world problems that the heroes they're bitching about are fighting?
    Yep Yep Yep, just that in the 40s and 60s it was stomachable, no clue about the 80s tbh. New 52 tanked readership because it was also terrible. And now it's not tanking because rebirth isn't terrible.
    Whether it looks that way or not, there are some genuine criticisms to be made of Marvel.
    And yes, the readers are suffering from first world problems. But life is life and comics are comics. Don't make the comic books reflect dull life too much or they won't sell.

    And no, I haven't read Green Arrow rebirth. I'm sure some stories are bad in DC too, just that overall they're fairing far better and staying mostly apolitical (ie. batman, flash)

    I'm not saying politics in comics is a bad thing, I'm just saying that comics with exclusively politics, no action, and bland characters don't sell.
    Last edited by AfroSamurai; August 1st, 2017 at 05:17 AM.

  8. #14248
    Colin Baker Apologist Mr. Zoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mobile

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Oh Green Arrow isn't bad, it's actually great. It's very political, though. Has a mayor who's essentially Trump in everything but name. A story arc about an oil pipeline, an arc over police brutality, some subplots about the 1%... The writer's going after it all haha.

    But yeah, long story short and back on topic: the milkshake picture had nothing to do with any supposed agenda being infiltrated in comics (and that discussion itself is a whole other matter). Just some people who happen to be Marvel employees getting milkshakes.

  9. #14249

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Yep Yep Yep, just that in the 40s and 60s it was stomachable,
    Fighting Nazi's looked cheesy even when it was fashionable. The "Yellow Peril" stuff on the other hand was decidedly less so.


    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    no clue about the 80s tbh.
    Guess fighting Communists and Russians was only cool when Reagan or Rocky were doing it.


    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    And now it's not tanking because rebirth isn't terrible.
    Overall I guess, don't know about the individual books though.


    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Whether it looks that way or not, there are some genuine criticisms to be made of Marvel.
    Yes but nothing about this looks genuine though.

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    And yes, the readers are suffering from first world problems. But life is life and comics are comics. Don't make the comic books reflect dull life too much or they won't sell.
    Comics being comics doesn't mean you can't have the characters be like real people or have them face real problems.


    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    I'm not saying politics in comics is a bad thing, I'm just saying that comics with exclusively politics, no action, and bland characters doesn't sell.
    Comic books with action and good characters can bomb though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  10. #14250
    Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Comic books with action and good characters can bomb though.
    But can comics with no action and bad characters not bomb?

  11. #14251

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Old school Iron Man dialogue is equal parts goofy 60's slang and anti-commie speeches.

    Whatever they are putting out now it can't be even half as on the nose as old Cap and Iron Man stuff.

  12. #14252

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Old school Iron Man dialogue is equal parts goofy 60's slang and anti-commie speeches.

    Whatever they are putting out now it can't be even half as on the nose as old Cap and Iron Man stuff.
    there was some little-too-on-the-nose stuff about voter apathy in an issue of Ms. Marvel but that's basically all I can think of off the top of my head

    Set Art by Daily Rowlet

  13. #14253

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    there was some little-too-on-the-nose stuff about voter apathy in an issue of Ms. Marvel but that's basically all I can think of off the top of my head
    I raise you the way a free man dies facing communism

    Hidden:


    It can also be summarized as:

    "Fuck you Boris, you and your communism can't face the heart and valor of free American men"

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Hidden:


    Or this inspired piece of dialogue

  14. #14254
    Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I raise you the way a free man dies facing communism



    It can also be summarized as:

    "Fuck you Boris, you and your communism can't face the heart and valor of free American men"

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---



    Or this inspired piece of dialogue
    I raise you this. Comics today everybody. Yaaaay unsolicited opinions on Israel (?x3) by an Asgardian god


    Or hey, lets just tweak the red skull a little and make him Steve Bannon/Donald. Yeaaaa because Donald Trump and most republicans are Nazis!

    Spoiler:
    Last edited by AfroSamurai; August 1st, 2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added the red Donald

  15. #14255

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    considering the question marks, I'd say she's as confused about it as you are

    Set Art by Daily Rowlet

  16. #14256
    King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Monster Land

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Can't find the news in English but, Alfredo Garcon, "united left" leader is an asshole.

    In the middle of all this shitshow, some anti government protesters threw an incendiary device to the police, under a state of law or against a police or national guard force that if were used against a "left force" he would be focusing on their crimes

    Like these: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.2f13bc53c1a4

    Or the fact that the bombers were an angry mob that armed itself, not an angry mob armed by the government: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/2...president.html

    Called him an hypocrite on twitter, but I'm still very angry, as this asshole is the one who the people I studied with here support as President.
    Do you see the opposition gaining more support from here? As I understand it the majority of the country were not in favor of the assembly. Or do you see morale to rally against it diminishing to some extent? Because I could see it going either way honestly.

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Just to defend the Marvel haters a little, Marvel has been exceptionally awful in the recent year. And seeing something as beloved as Marvel get completely neutered of it's action in favour of terrible storytelling where every villain is white, male, and privileged, while every single female character seems to be a stereotype of a left wing activist: twitter obsessed, rallying against racism and social injustice on the internet, and only occassionally doing anything 'heroic' to change things. Not to mention that every story seems to have gone from 'comic book hero' story to 'slice of life about first world problems with an occassional 3rd world issue thrown in to show how evil America and the wealthy are while not actually presenting any threat for the heroes to fight'. The company's basically been hijacked into being purely political commentary. X-men used to do that, but at least it didn't shove the issues down your throat while ignoring basic comic book writing, there was still an element of fighting and heroism.

    Compare to DC, which has knocked it out the park since rebirth, staying apolitical and focusing on comic book villains and stories. Marvel's writing has gone down the drain, and it's very easy to see how readers might turn on female writers and editors whom are perceived to be pushing a strong political agenda down their reader's throats, while completely ignoring the formula that kept Marvel going till now.

    Does that justify any of the horrible diatribe that is being sent to the milkshake girls for apparently the sin of not having a male in the room? No. Of course not. It's horrible and shouldn't be condoned.
    But it's not like it's 'prowling the internet for any excuse to lash out' either. These people are angry because of a perceived attack on their values, on what they hold dear, on their childhood heroes and stories. Sure, their response goes overboard... but it's not like there's no 'reason' for it at all.
    I'm sure they had their reasons for reacting the way they did. I am mildly curious about what it was about that group picture that set so many people off. Since the people who took issue with the picture claim to be Marvel comics fans, I would think the body of work the people in the picture have done for Marvel would be the root of the problem. But as a casual observer, I can't even tell if that's the case. So it all just looks like they saw an opportunity to vent their grievances to Marvel directly and went for it. I see nothing that indicates this wouldn't happen again, since this seemed to be an on the spur of the moment incident to begin with.

    I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion. Jun Fukuda

  17. #14257

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    they were offended because HURF BURF WHY GIRLS WORK IN MAN COMICS HURF BURF

    Set Art by Daily Rowlet

  18. #14258

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    I raise you this. Comics today everybody. Yaaaay unsolicited opinions on Israel (?x3) by an Asgardian god
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZxQUKjWwAEBzgW.jpg

    Or hey, lets just tweak the red skull a little and make him Steve Bannon/Donald. Yeaaaa because Donald Trump and most republicans are Nazis!

    Bannon is a nazi though.

  19. #14259
    Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Middleton, ID

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Or hey, lets just tweak the red skull a little and make him Steve Bannon/Donald. Yeaaaa because Donald Trump and most republicans are Nazis!
    There's a Twitter called @PresVillain dedicated to exactly that.

    A sample:

    There's also Marco Rubio as the Watcher.
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

  20. #14260

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dragon View Post
    Do you see the opposition gaining more support from here? As I understand it the majority of the country were not in favor of the assembly. Or do you see morale to rally against it diminishing to some extent? Because I could see it going either way honestly.
    Moral took a hit, but the big BIG issue is that the opposition still is just infiurating.

    The elder part is looking to negotiate to get to try and get some states in the next elections, something that with the current fraud is beyond idiotic.

    The younger part is looking to continue protest and stablishing "new" posts of the powers that the national assembly is supposed to propose, but the executive and judicial took over that. They named a new supreme tribunal, and all of them got jailed, the elder part is criticizing this, because it was an irresponsible move, to sacrifice a bunch of good lawyers to make a point, but then again there are kids dying in the streets, so it is all relative. Also, just protest and "alternative" powers has been countered pretty handly by the goverment.

    The youngest part in the other hand has moved on into experimenting with more violent means to protest, and while I think that it is a terrible idea, as they have the millitary, the cuban inteligence forces and the urban armed millitia, and they are hungry angry kids who managed to build an incendiary bomb and a mortar, and the rest of the opposition isn't going to support them while having political momentum.

    We have the international momentum with most of the west hemisphere (except of course chavez's lapdogs, and masters, meaning Nicaragua, Bolivia, a good number of the caribean island nations, and of course Cuba) rejecting the elections as obviously fraudulent, because the number is impossible (as in the middle of a terrible resession, hunger and protests Maduro can't be almost as popular as chavez was during his phoenix year, when he won the elections while battling Cancer and a very high oil price) and can't be proven (because both press and observers were dennied access, and any regular observer saw that the voting centers weren't having the ammount of people needed voting to have these numbers)

    But the infighting and conflicting strategies is what the goverment needs to stabilize, again.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts