+ Reply to Thread
Page 710 of 892 FirstFirst ... 210 610 660 700 708 709 710 711 712 720 760 810 ... LastLast
Results 14,181 to 14,200 of 17833

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

  1. #14181
    King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Monster Land

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Just to follow up on maxterdexter's updates. The government opposition are calling for all businesses in Venezuela to go on a 24-hour strike Thursday. They also want alternative judges in the Supreme Court.

    I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion. Jun Fukuda

  2. #14182

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Is not alternatives, the assembly before this one illegally rushed a few judges through the pipeline. I honestly think that this should have been done the first week, they focused on clearing the executive branch, without realizing how toxic and destructive the judicial branch could be.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  3. #14183

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Chinese American sentenced to ten years jail in Iran
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...wang-princeton
    This is rare thing to happen for a person that does not have Iran nationality as well

  4. #14184

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Maybe the man was truly a spy though.

    I mean, I don't know if spies usually get caught in real life but looking at all the "dude sentenced to 10 years or more of prison in Iran/North-Korea etc" cases, at least some have to be spies, right?

  5. #14185

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    No Iran like North Korea has paranoia problems while also trying to make themselves look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  6. #14186

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Maybe the man was truly a spy though.

    I mean, I don't know if spies usually get caught in real life but looking at all the "dude sentenced to 10 years or more of prison in Iran/North-Korea etc" cases, at least some have to be spies, right?
    A Chinese/American dual national college student is HIGHLY unlikely to be uh, government spy. Or a candidate for one such.

    Considering Iran's history for BS reasoning to detain Americans, my money would not be on him being an actual spy.

  7. #14187

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Was he working for any news network cause if he was just a tourist this is rare and strange even for Irgc

  8. #14188

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Iran and North-Korea might be paranoiacs and they're obviously putting innocents in prisons but when a spy gets caught, wouldn't they just say "hey we caught an American spy"? since they don't have any diplomatic relations with the US (or didn't for a while) so they can't just exchange their spies, right?
    I'm not saying this one is a spy though.

    Also, being a student (who's btw 37 and working on a thesis, which is the reason why he was in Iran) and having the Chinese and Yankee nationality doesn't prevent from being a spy though.


    On the other hand I'll admit that we're not hearing much of spies being caught in western countries.

  9. #14189

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Ircg definition for spy is different they basically do anything to keep the power in their hands

  10. #14190

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    https://www.caracaschronicles.com/20...o-governments/

    Huh... I didn't read the questions through enough. But it doesn't change my vote.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  11. #14191
    King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Still trying to climb Wano's waterfall

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Huh. That indeed makes things more complicated than they've been so far. The way I view Venezuela's situation is that as long as the military has Maduro's back, nothing can change. The deal breaker is just how long can the military stay by his side with everyone turning against him. Do you have any idea? Do you think there's any other path besides military intervention, either publicly or behind the scenes?

  12. #14192

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Historically, nope. Only when a deal is cut with the military is that things can change, training a parallel army is not... Possible nor will be done on time.

    The thing is while the national guard has been 100% behind maduro, the army, air force and sea force have been eerily quiet. Chavez forced to retire most dissenting voices and put enough military in sites of power to keep them happy and under his control, so it is a long shot.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  13. #14193

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    In case you'd like to go in North-Korea for vacation, they've just made a website for it.

  14. #14194
    King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Still trying to climb Wano's waterfall

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Training a parallel army would either make Venezuela into Colombia or a failed state, which are worse options, in my opinion. Honestly, as much as the far left likes to go on and on about US imperialist intervention taking down red regimes, I would say the best bet would be to get international (aka US) help into striking a deal between the opposition and the military in order to reinstitute Constitutional order in the country. Create some kind of transitional military-dominated government in order to take down the hardcore Maduro group and then, over the course of a few years, relinquish powers back to civillian institutions. It's the portuguese revolution model against the far right dictatorship. It worked here, with many former regime loyalists (the more democratic ones, of course) being peacefully integrated into the new democratic order, which is what I hope happens over there as well. If it doesn't, you'll always have a bunch of former top dogs waiting for a moment of weakness to get their revenge on the 'coup'. It would be sad to see another country, especially one so naturally rich and with so much potential, degenerate into outright dictatorship or anarchy. The world has been having enough of those.

  15. #14195

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Iran and North-Korea might be paranoiacs and they're obviously putting innocents in prisons but when a spy gets caught, wouldn't they just say "hey we caught an American spy"? since they don't have any diplomatic relations with the US (or didn't for a while) so they can't just exchange their spies, right?
    I'm not saying this one is a spy though.

    Also, being a student (who's btw 37 and working on a thesis, which is the reason why he was in Iran) and having the Chinese and Yankee nationality doesn't prevent from being a spy though.


    On the other hand I'll admit that we're not hearing much of spies being caught in western countries.
    Because this isn't world war 2 that and it's a pretty meaningless move that does nothing but help stoke that paranoia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  16. #14196

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    In case you'd like to go in North-Korea for vacation, they've just made a website for it.
    Scuba diving in the Sammath Naur of Mount Doom seems like a more ideal vacation spot, but to each his/her own I suppose.

  17. #14197

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    Training a parallel army would either make Venezuela into Colombia or a failed state, which are worse options, in my opinion. Honestly, as much as the far left likes to go on and on about US imperialist intervention taking down red regimes, I would say the best bet would be to get international (aka US) help into striking a deal between the opposition and the military in order to reinstitute Constitutional order in the country. Create some kind of transitional military-dominated government in order to take down the hardcore Maduro group and then, over the course of a few years, relinquish powers back to civillian institutions. It's the portuguese revolution model against the far right dictatorship. It worked here, with many former regime loyalists (the more democratic ones, of course) being peacefully integrated into the new democratic order, which is what I hope happens over there as well. If it doesn't, you'll always have a bunch of former top dogs waiting for a moment of weakness to get their revenge on the 'coup'. It would be sad to see another country, especially one so naturally rich and with so much potential, degenerate into outright dictatorship or anarchy. The world has been having enough of those.
    These kind of coups already happened here, except without the external support, that one was the original coup, against the spanish kingdom.

    Venezuela is the current posterboy of "it was such a good kid, where did we go wrong?" I'd guess that when you ignore a failed cuban invasion, then a civil protest that ended in a bloodshed, then two failed military coups as synthoms of issues.

    The issues of inequality existed, they weren't as bad as chavez made them to be (no one ate dog food for one, there was free education and healthcare, and for bad or worse we had our stupid society-poisonous cheap gasoline) but it wasn't all the Venezuela Saudita that the most right winged venezuelans would want you to believe.

    But you could work, my grandfather went from analphabet spanish expat to a fruit store business owner in 20-30 years, while raising 4 kids and a few orphan cousins.

    I guess that the resentment to the foreign influence played a big role, most people in my age and social strait had some foreign family background, colombian, portuguese, spanish, italian, turkish, chinesse, lebanesse, haitian, french, german, those without a foreigner background were still in the slums, while the foreigners, who came here empty handed managed to establish themselves and grow. My guess is after being there to see their countries suffer, and what made Venezuela and venezuelans special, they could focus these resources and qualities into more tangible results and progress.

    You can't say "this is the best country" if you only know one country.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  18. #14198

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?


  19. #14199

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Anymore salt and Netanyahu would have to step down due to high blood pressure

    http://www.rawstory.com/2017/07/hot-...stinian-peace/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  20. #14200

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    The EU should just kick Hongria and Poland out of the Union. But hey no "let's just prevent them from voting because we're a bunch of cowards".

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts