+ Reply to Thread
Page 703 of 893 FirstFirst ... 203 603 653 693 701 702 703 704 705 713 753 803 ... LastLast
Results 14,041 to 14,060 of 17857

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dragon View Post
    A terrorist attack occured near a mosque in north London on Monday. A imam of the mosque prevented an angry mob from assaulting the terrorist and had him arrested by local authorities.

Yesterday the Organization of American States held a meeting where they discussed resolving the ongoing crisis in Venezuela. Venezuelan Foreign Minister Delcy Rodriguez said the constituent assembly is the only peaceful solution to the crisis, she also calls those opposed to that approach to the problem "lapdogs of imperialism."
    The foreign minister of Guatemala, a nation that faced a 36-year internal armed conflict that left some 200,000 people dead, voiced that sentiment.

"We don't wish that on anybody, least of all Venezuela, and if we were able to sit down and negotiate, Venezuela needs to be able to do that too," Foreign Minister Carlos Morales said.
    guatemala seems like the wise uncle that would recount his old rebellious tales to the young teen rebels
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

Quote Originally Posted by sggupta View Post
    guatemala seems like the wise uncle that would recount his old rebellious tales to the young teen rebels
    Most of Latin America has had either a nasty dictatorship or civil war (or both!) within the last 50 years. But not Venezuela. Nearly every other country there has this wisdom to impart, but the Venezuelan government is a nightmarish left-wing version of the Trump administration. So wise words are going to fall on deaf ears.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dragon View Post
    A terrorist attack occured near a mosque in north London on Monday. A imam of the mosque prevented an angry mob from assaulting the terrorist and had him arrested by local authorities.
    Oddly similar to this incident, except the car as weapon was almost definitely an accident, and the "attackers" were not saved from the mob. In both cases a holy man attempted peace though.

Say whaaa zeph? Well, its not 50 years NOW, but it was 50 years when this mess started. Marcos Perez Jimenez, start of the modernization of Venezuela, builder of stuff, general human rights monster.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

wtf

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Say whaaa zeph? Well, its not 50 years NOW, but it was 50 years when this mess started. Marcos Perez Jimenez, start of the modernization of Venezuela, builder of stuff, general human rights monster.
    True, but 1958 for last straight up dictator (well until whatever point you feel the current situation crossed the line) is pretty darn good by Latin American standards.
    Heck it's pretty darn good by most standards outside of Western Europe and North America. Even in Western Europe that's better than Spain and Portugal (and Greece and East Germany if they are counted as Western Europe).

That line will be a mushed up mess for ages. Many will argue that Chavez was never a dictator, as he didn't do criminally obvious violations of the constitution. Eroding institutions and dissolving the lines between the public powers, and abusing his powers, but nothing like the current clown.

But yeah, we were all right for 40 years, but the amount of hate and resentment that leads to people who don't find food on the stores, unequipped hospitals and hears tales of people killed every day, and still thinks that Maduro should still be president. That is Venezuelan people living in Venezuela, not miscellaneous people from other countries, makes me think that these years weren't as great as advertised for everyone.

I guess transparency and accountability of the public office could have reduced the feelings of inequality.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Yeah I don't want to suggest Venezuela was skipping merrily through history in those decades.

This is just low, and a depressing new turn in hate crimes. Thankfully, the culprit has been caught.

D.C. memorial for slain Muslim teen was set on fire, officials say

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post

wtf
    This is one of those cases that make my heart skip a little faster every time I see a squad car.

And not for the normal thought of, 'What if I get a ticket?'

No, it's more like, 'What if I get shot?'

Quote Originally Posted by onemoment View Post
    This is just low, and a depressing new turn in hate crimes. Thankfully, the culprit has been caught.

D.C. memorial for slain Muslim teen was set on fire, officials say
    He did a great job of bringing more attention to this case. It's like adding insult to injury so now people are even more pissed at what happened.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    He did a great job of bringing more attention to this case. It's like adding insult to injury so now people are even more pissed at what happened.
    That's...actually a good way to look at it. Way to spin this into a positive!

On Philandro Castile, I was confused by seeing the Daily Show play that video without a real warning. I watched it once before going to sleep, which was a big mistakes cause I didn't go to sleep that night. So it's weird seeing a comedy show displaying something so devastating (thought maybe it's more for the common good that this is seen). But props to the Daily Show for bringing is back...that silly skit they did afterwards brought my mood back up. So, good job on covering a tough subject and lightening the mood just when they needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    This is one of those cases that make my heart skip a little faster every time I see a squad car.

And not for the normal thought of, 'What if I get a ticket?'

No, it's more like, 'What if I get shot?'

wow,didn't know things are so bad.

i am not really knowledgable about this,but i just wanna know,why don't the cops themselves come out against this sort of behaviour?surely they are aware the backlash and hate that this sort of behaviour generates.If they as a community condemn these activities,wouldn't it be better for them?

or maybe the inertia of the system is just too strong
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

Quote Originally Posted by sggupta View Post
    i am not really knowledgable about this,but i just wanna know,why don't the cops themselves come out against this sort of behaviour?surely they are aware the backlash and hate that this sort of behaviour generates.If they as a community condemn these activities,wouldn't it be better for them?
    Police life in the US is basically a culture in and of itself, on the level of a cult/religion, complete with pseudo brainwashing. That means cops *always* side with other cops and defend them to the very end. Any criticism of murderous cops or the system itself is generally received as an attack on all of them, and any dissenters would quickly be ostracized (and they know it). Subtexts about patriotism and the US's horrible gun culture also complicate matters (though run of the mill gun nuts are often divided on whether militarized police is a good thing or not). I might get flak for saying so, but all cops- even the "good" ones- are complicit, for pretty much exactly the reason you're pointing out. Even the good ones pretty much never speak out. Personally, I suspect the police "community" doesn't outright condemn this apparent wave of brutality because it's waaaay more common we think, and pretty much always has been. It's only coming to light now because of cell phone cameras and social media.

When you bring the issue to juries, you also inevitably get racism and character assassination (of the victims) mucking everything up.

Also, what better way to create a cult of trigger-happy monsters than actively selecting those with lower intelligence?
    Last edited by CCC; June 23rd, 2017 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    That means cops *always* side with other cops and defend them to the very end.
    Well good luck defending this

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...96f99d114.html

And on top of that Ray Tensing's trial ended in another mistrial because declaring someone guilty for what is clearly a murder by way of.excessive force is hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    Police life in the US is basically a culture in and of itself, on the level of a cult/religion, complete with pseudo brainwashing. That means cops *always* side with other cops and defend them to the very end. Any criticism of murderous cops or the system itself is generally received as an attack on all of them, and any dissenters would quickly be ostracized (and they know it). Subtexts about patriotism and the US's horrible gun culture also complicate matters (though run of the mill gun nuts are often divided on whether militarized police is a good thing or not). I might get flak for saying so, but all cops- even the "good" ones- are complicit, for pretty much exactly the reason you're pointing out. Even the good ones pretty much never speak out. Personally, I suspect the police "community" doesn't outright condemn this apparent wave of brutality because it's waaaay more common we think, and pretty much always has been. It's only coming to light now because of cell phone cameras and social media.

When you bring the issue to juries, you also inevitably get racism and character assassination (of the victims) mucking everything up.

Also, what better way to create a cult of trigger-happy monsters than actively selecting those with lower intelligence?
    Yeah, I've got a relative who was on the police force for most of her career. Every now and then she'll say something blatantly racist, and when I give her an incredulous look, she justifies it by saying that I couldn't understand just how evil "some people" can be. I understand that she has experienced some crazy shit when she was an officer... but I still think that it's insane to assume that you can judge a person's character based only on their skin color.

I remember her getting scared that I didn't lock my car doors when some young black kids were walking on the sidewalk past us in downtown Baltimore. Blue lives matter, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Well good luck defending this

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...96f99d114.html

And on top of that Ray Tensing's trial ended in another mistrial because declaring someone guilty for what is clearly a murder by way of.excessive force is hard.
    Nothing will come of that officer getting shot by the other for the same reasons as police vs civilian cases. He's a black guy. Police don't care about the black people even on their "side."

Out off all the people killed by shitty cops the only one case I recall not getting off fully was a black cop. And I think there maybe was one with a female cop facing charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Heck it's pretty darn good by most standards outside of Western Europe and North America. Even in Western Europe that's better than Spain and Portugal (and Greece and East Germany if they are counted as Western Europe).
    *clears throat*

Aren't you, like, missing a pretty big country here?

More hacks:https://twitter.com/ReutersBiz/statu...05307831730177

Ukraine infrastructure ministry, state postal service, largest telephone firm, several banks hit by cyber attack from 'Petya' virus
    Russian company Rosneft is also hit

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by cooldud View Post
    *clears throat*

'75.The anniversary was just yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by cooldud View Post
    *clears throat*

Indira Gandhi's Emergency messes with that. But yeah India's run is impressive for the most part. I didn't say Venezuela was the only exception.

India should be proud to have the so far only run of a modern style female authoritarian leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Indira Gandhi's Emergency messes with that. But yeah India's run is impressive for the most part. I didn't say Venezuela was the only exception.

India should be proud to have the so far only run of a modern style female authoritarian leader.
    They even have a movie coming out based on the Emergency.I think it's coming out today(though now it's 3 am)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information