+ Reply to Thread
Page 699 of 893 FirstFirst ... 199 599 649 689 697 698 699 700 701 709 749 799 ... LastLast
Results 13,961 to 13,980 of 17846

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

Quote Originally Posted by firelord111 View Post
    In short
    kill them like they are killing Muslims in In all countries and surely their allied with Middle East jews
    In the end they said Saudis are next
    Wait I think we miscommunicated.
    I meant what sort of things did the Kurdish nationalists say on BBC Persian?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    oh you meant the Kurds I thought you meant the isis talking Kurdish
    At that time the person was straight up suggesting Iran's military to leave Irans Kurdistan in the way of saying putting away the guns
    Last edited by firelord111; June 9th, 2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: So many mistakes Damn auto correct

Quote Originally Posted by firelord111 View Post
    oh you meant the Kurds I thought you meant the isis talking Kurdish
    At that time the person was straight up suggesting Iran's military to leave Irans Kurdistan in the way of saying putting away the guns
    Based on what you know, what are the complaints that Kurdish separatists have about remaining in Iran?
    Nevermind Scotland and Catalonia. I'm curious instead of similarities to Northern Ireland, I bet we will see some.

Based on what you know, what are the complaints that Kurdish separatists have about remaining in Iran?
    Nevermind Scotland and Catalonia. I'm curious instead of similarities to Northern Ireland, I bet we will see some.
    The best thing that I heard from them was that their language is different and I heard it from people not the leaders
    If we wanted to eliminate their language I would see that as good excuse to leave
    In my opinion their leaders are just power hungry

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

Government opposition reach out to poor pro-government communities in Venezuela. Believing they are the key to making a significant difference in their cause.

It appears that even some government supporters believe Maduro's plan to rewrite Venezuela's constitution is unjustified.

I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion. Jun Fukuda

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

The DUP is a pretty awful bunch, and the only reason the UK doesn't have gay marriage everywhere just yet.

The DUP gained some seats, but so did Sinn Fein. I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding Northern Ireland as a place. It's not like Scotland or Catalonia, with locals either being Scots/Catalans who want to leave Vs. Scots/Catalands who don't.
    Northern Ireland is split by what are basically two different ethno-religious groups, pulling in two different directions on the issue. So a rise in support of the DUP doesn't mean a dip in support for Sinn Fein and other anti-UK parties.

Also it's important to note that Sinn Fein by official policy refuses to actually participate in the United Kingdom's federal parliament in spite of running for and winning elections for it. For (Catholic) Irish nationalist reasons.
    Theoretically they could have way more representatives than DUP, but it wouldn't be visible in UK politics. Heck right now in the Northern Irish parliament they and their allies outnumber the DUP and its allies. The Catholic population has been slowly and surely growing larger than the Protestant one. And per the Good Friday peace agreement, the choice on leaving the UK would come down to a popular vote.
    I'd say there's nothing backburner about N Irish departure. Scotland though yeah maybe.
    I knew about most of that, yeah. One just has to look at the Brexit referendum to get the N. Irish populational split, it's ridiculous. What I did not know before was how awful a bunch the DUP actually are. These guys are basically the Tea Party equivalent. Which is even more humiliating for the Tories, to have to drop down to their level in order to remain in power. It's really making a deal with the devil. And what I meant by Northern Ireland possibly leaving not being on the table is something like May striking a deal with these lunatics where the British govt. will not allow any sort of referendum in N.I. in exchange for their loyal support for the Tory cabinet. I don't really know how possible this is, but for someone who promised to rip apart human rights laws in order to fight terrorism, I will not be surprised about anything anymore.

In regards to Scotland, it was really surprising to see the SNP lose so much pull. I wasn't really expecting this kind of reaction from the Scottish, who voted in favour of remaining and for whom not being allowed back into the EU was a decisive argument to have them reject independence a couple of years ago. Let's see how it plays out. I'd like to see them try it again, but I feel like it will take a while for the SNP to get enough support to try it again. Maybe when the tories run the country to the ground after Brexit actually happens.

I'm also really interested in what will take place in Catalunya in October. I have no idea how it's going to go down. I could definitely see a victory for independence, but I don't know how they will pull it off with the central government so overwhelmingly against allowing it to happen. Especially with the conservative Popular Party in power. On the one hand, I can understand the national feeling over there antagonizing Madrid and blaming them for the current state of Spain (which, by any mile, is pretty good, when I look at my own country as comparison ). They feel like they have their own national history and that their economy is strong enough to allow them to live free from Spanish rule. They see the central authorities as exploiting the productivity of Catalunya while paying little in return. But on the other hand, they just have to look at Portugal to see how a former "Spanish province" can fare when reduced to a smaller country. Of course we're talking about completely different time points. They will still live in a globalized, interconnected economy, and all that. They won't suddenly become isolated from the rest of European society. But I'm not sure how good it is for them to become independent, especially if the EU does not allow them to remain a member state (which is almost a given). I find it hard to understand why the Spanish are so firmly against an autonomous province with their own semi independent history wanting their independence. It seems only natural to me and it would be for the best if both sides were discussing it rationally as a natural possibility. A better deal and better relations between future neigbouring countries would be reached. This reaction from the central authorities just makes it seem like they do not respect the Catalan people and would stomp on democracy in order to remain in control as some sort of imperialist power. If the portuguese archipelagos suddenly wanted independence, I'd say most portuguese would actually say "you're welcome, please gtfo" instead of making the scandal that castillians are doing.
    Last edited by Chrior; June 10th, 2017 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I bet she was whining about having to read radical new far-left affirmative action inclusions, and it was like Oscar Wilde or some shit lol.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    And what I meant by Northern Ireland possibly leaving not being on the table is something like May striking a deal with these lunatics where the British govt. will not allow any sort of referendum in N.I.
    That would violate the Good Friday Agreement. And the Good Friday Agreement is basically the main pillar that has kept Northern Ireland at peace since 1998.
    Ripping it up would be like asking for the return of war.
    I don't really know how possible this is, but for someone who promised to rip apart human rights laws in order to fight terrorism, I will not be surprised about anything anymore.
    I have a pretty solid feeling that a British government currently reeling from ISIS terrorist attacks does not want to essentially revive the IRA.
    Because yeah that's the other main big huge difference here that Scotland and Catalonia don't have. The agreements whereby Northern Ireland has a right to leave under a popular vote was created because of horrific ethnic guerrilla warfare.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    I knew about most of that, yeah. One just has to look at the Brexit referendum to get the N. Irish populational split, it's ridiculous. What I did not know before was how awful a bunch the DUP actually are.
    They're even worse when you look into their history as the avatars of extreme on the Protestant side.
    Here's their founder Ian Paisley heckling the pope in 1988.

So yeah folks, whenever Western Europe gazes upon the sectarian chaos of the Middle East, and smirks thinking "Pff, thank god I've never been like that...".
    It should look to Northern Ireland for a wee time capsule of sparks and embers that are still hot, left over from a little thing called the Wars of Religion.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

So yeah folks, whenever Western Europe gazes upon the sectarian chaos of the Middle East, and smirks thinking "Pff, thank god I've never been like that...".
    It should look to Northern Ireland for a wee time capsule of sparks and embers that are still hot, left over from a little thing called the Wars of Religion.
    Or alternatively, the Yugoslav Wars.

What is truly hilarious is that the right wing media (The Sun, Telegraph, Daily Mail, ITV) condemned Corbyn, saying he was a terrorist sympathizer because he talked with the IRA to move forward with peace process. Meanwhile May is about to bring in the DUP who essentially behind the scenes still work with terrorists to this day.

The DUP wants to keep Northern Ireland as British as possible whereas Sinn Fein ideally wants a United Ireland. It is much more complicated, but essentially each side sees them as threat to their own country. That's why voters usually only choose DUP or Sinn Fein despite how damaging they are towards any kind of progress, even with such scandals where the DUP burned away 40mil of public funds in a botched scheme: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38301428

There is not a worse combination!

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Or alternatively, the Yugoslav Wars.
    Not Western Europe, Eastern Europe and Orthodox Christians may not be anywhere near as orientalized as the Middle East and rest of Asia, but they're still outside of good proper western civ and good peaceful society. They're white, but like...weird exotic beardy commie poor white. Their Jesus lives in onion churches and they use alphabets that aren't normal!

Northern Ireland is great because it emits a big huge fart into that narrative. Like, nope, sorry. No way around that one western civ, that extremely ugly tribal misery is right straight in your backyard!

Is being arrested with bomb making materials, evidence that you're a threat to public safety or did they add in some rule or another when I wasn't looking

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/no-t...ing-materials/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Not Western Europe, Eastern Europe and Orthodox Christians may not be anywhere near as orientalized as the Middle East and rest of Asia, but they're still outside of good proper western civ and good peaceful society. They're white, but like...weird exotic beardy commie poor white. Their Jesus lives in onion churches and they use alphabets that aren't normal!

Northern Ireland is great because it emits a big huge fart into that narrative. Like, nope, sorry. No way around that one western civ, that extremely ugly tribal misery is right straight in your backyard!
    Speaking from my experience, Yugoslavs aren't really viewed as white either in Western Europe. Especially in Scandinavia, they are usually lumped together with middle easterners and get the same type of slurs thrown at them. So it's another one of those things, like how Americans didn't view Irish and Italians as proper whites.

Quote Originally Posted by Strooger View Post
    Speaking from my experience, Yugoslavs aren't really viewed as white either in Western Europe. Especially in Scandinavia, they are usually lumped together with middle easterners and get the same type of slurs thrown at them. So it's another one of those things, like how Americans didn't view Irish and Italians as proper whites.
    Huh. I've had the exact opposite exposure to it. Most i've heard the Balkan people have been made out to be the succesful ones, the ones that we could integrate. As opposed to these spooky scary Syrians and Afghans who'll never manage to do the same. Probably didn't sound the same all those decades ago during the actual war, but i mean recently that's how i most often here them being made out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Huh. I've had the exact opposite exposure to it. Most i've heard the Balkan people have been made out to be the succesful ones, the ones that we could integrate. As opposed to these spooky scary Syrians and Afghans who'll never manage to do the same. Probably didn't sound the same all those decades ago during the actual war, but i mean recently that's how i most often here them being made out to be.
    I've heard that sentiment online and in passing. But in my general experience they are viewed about the same as the average immigrant stereotypes. When I went to a multiethnic school, they would hang out with the other immigrant kids and by and large be hard to distinguish from them. For untrained eyes that is.

This labeling of them as the "good immigrant" was certainly not prevalent for the 90s. I think most of the colloquial ghetto slang in Scandinavia is based on Yugoslavian languages.

I've heard that sentiment online and in passing. But in my general experience they are viewed about the same as the average immigrant stereotypes. When I went to a multiethnic school, they would hang out with the other immigrant kids and by and large be hard to distinguish from them. For untrained eyes that is.

This labeling of them as the "good immigrant" was certainly not prevalent for the 90s. I think most of the colloquial ghetto slang in Scandinavia is based on Yugoslavian languages.
    Is it really? Outside of bre, para and kurva i can't really think of any words that i associate with that area. But that don't mean much seeing as how i'm not much of a slang user. But i gotta say that i would've guessed that the most influential was something more like Turkish/Arabic. And bastardized English of course.

Macron set to win a landslide in French election: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tary-elections

All the better for folks to get familiar with how it wasn't just the IRA doing awful things in Northern Ireland, it was all sorts of every bit as much the Protestant terrorists and killers.
    I read an anecdote that UVF dudes would randomly get on buses with a gun hidden in their coats, and they'd wait for the bus to pass a Catholic Church, if they saw someone cross their chests in front of it... they'd wait until the next bus stop...gun down the person who crossed themselves, then hop off the bus.

And of course the incident I brought up when responding to some British shithead's article about how the Ariana Grande terrorist incident means it is time to discriminate the Muslims. Because gosh, what kind of monsters attack something related to simple innocent pop music.

Well yeah, ISIS, and this kind of monster:

Oh yeah and fun-fact, the Good Friday Agreement, peace agreement that essentially ended the fighting in Northern Ireland?
    Part of that is the UK government of remaining impartial on political stuff in Northern Ireland going forth.
    So this coalition Theresa May just done did uh....well gosh that sure seems hard to uphold in this case don't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Macron set to win a landslide in French election: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tary-elections
    With around 30-35% of primary vote base.Convincing case for FPTP
    that which cannot be stopped:inherited will,a man's dream,and the flow of time.as long as man continues to seek out the answer to freedom,these things shall never be stopped.-PK Gol D. Roger

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Is it really? Outside of bre, para and kurva i can't really think of any words that i associate with that area. But that don't mean much seeing as how i'm not much of a slang user. But i gotta say that i would've guessed that the most influential was something more like Turkish/Arabic. And bastardized English of course.
    I actually thought para was Turkish or something lol.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information