+ Reply to Thread
Page 698 of 893 FirstFirst ... 198 598 648 688 696 697 698 699 700 708 748 798 ... LastLast
Results 13,941 to 13,960 of 17846

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

  1. #13941
    Discovered Stowaway Bugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hole in the ground

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    BBC is reporting that an independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is being set for September 24th. That's a big deal (and I bet Edrogan is going to do what he can to make sure it fails).

  2. #13942

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Worst thing about Trump is that in 20years people will think 2016 was middle-age and that "something like Trump could never ever possibly happen again, just unreasonable" and we will all sound like a bunch of lame senile people sounding lame with our moral speeches--- and people will vote for someone like Donny Dumpy again.


    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/heres-is...rism-playbook/ is Isis using social media and internet to "prod" attacks?
    yes, and it's been a few years they've been doing this actually. I guess it's new though, since a few years isn't that much in the history of crazy lunatics recruiting some youngsters on internet.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    BBC is reporting that an independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is being set for September 24th. That's a big deal (and I bet Edrogan is going to do what he can to make sure it fails).
    Is he gonna hack the elections? Or maybe spread falsehoods about the capacity of the Kurds to deal with themselves?
    Last edited by Nilitch; June 8th, 2017 at 11:59 AM.

  3. #13943

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    BBC is reporting that an independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is being set for September 24th. That's a big deal (and I bet Edrogan is going to do what he can to make sure it fails).
    Erdogan is cosy with the Iraqi Kurds.

  4. #13944
    Discovered Stowaway Bugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hole in the ground

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Erdogan is cosy with the Iraqi Kurds.
    I think even he has his limits (or is my source unrelible).

    http://aa.com.tr/en/middle-east/inde...q-wrong/785198

  5. #13945

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    I think even he has his limits (or is my source unrelible).

    http://aa.com.tr/en/middle-east/inde...q-wrong/785198
    Those sound like some pretty tame almost obligatory diplomatic statements.
    I doubt Turkey could really come and be open and out and out like "Yeah cool, I Turkey approve of this Kurdish secessionist state".
    And likewise if this was a huge no-no to them I would expect more aggressive statements.
    Like the main theme in the comments seems more along the lines of Turkey not wanting to alienate Iraq, rather than any personal issues.

  6. #13946

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Theresa May is flopping and it's hilarious.

  7. #13947
    21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arizona

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Theresa May is flopping and it's hilarious.
    From the sounds of it, this election seems like an outright disaster for the Tories.

  8. #13948

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    It looks like the SNP is falling apart as well. Scotland really not excited about independence.

  9. #13949

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Worst thing about Trump is that in 20years people will think 2016 was middle-age and that "something like Trump could never ever possibly happen again, just unreasonable" and we will all sound like a bunch of lame senile people sounding lame with our moral speeches--- and people will vote for someone like Donny Dumpy again.
    Demagoguery is and will always be the bane of democracy.

    The only way to mitigate it is raising the standard of public education.

  10. #13950

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Demagoguery is and will always be the bane of democracy.

    The only way to mitigate it is raising the standard of public education.
    yes, that's what is being said since the first revolution "cannot start democracy right away, people are too stupid, we need to educate them first".

    btw, isn't Scandinavia and Japan known to have the best education system? Is democracy better there? Hasn't Abe been turning a bit too much on his right recently? anyway, Japan is different I guess for many cultural reasons... But I don't know enough about Scandinavia.

  11. #13951

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    It looks like the SNP is falling apart as well. Scotland really not excited about independence.
    Spain is the single biggest ally England has right now in keeping Britain one nation.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    A few seats are still out but the Tories are guaranteed not to get a majority.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-40209282
    Complicating things since 2009.

  12. #13952

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    So turns out the people that did the terrorist attack in Tehran were kurd

  13. #13953

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    yes, that's what is being said since the first revolution "cannot start democracy right away, people are too stupid, we need to educate them first".

    btw, isn't Scandinavia and Japan known to have the best education system? Is democracy better there? Hasn't Abe been turning a bit too much on his right recently? anyway, Japan is different I guess for many cultural reasons... But I don't know enough about Scandinavia.
    Japan runs like a well oiled machine that churns out same shit systematically and keeps the engine going regardless of which party controls the cabinet.
    It maintains a status quo for the better or worse. Any and all changes happen at a snail's pace. (politics and socially, obviously)

    PRO: A sudden shift in policies due to demagogues are averted compared to the West
    CON: Progressive development? What progressive development. We chillin' in comfort zone.
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; June 9th, 2017 at 04:57 AM. Reason: spelling

  14. #13954
    King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Still trying to climb Wano's waterfall

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Spain is the single biggest ally England has right now in keeping Britain one nation.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    A few seats are still out but the Tories are guaranteed not to get a majority.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-40209282
    May has struck a deal with the Irish Democratic Unionist Party to reach a majority. Along with the SNP's weakening (losing MPs to tories, ffs) it doesn't seem like Scotland and N. Ireland are going anywhere anytime soon. On the other hand, Catalunya has scheduled the referendum for 1 October. Some interesting times we're living in. Much more so than the 90s and early 2000s which is all I experienced before, at least in the West.

  15. #13955

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    I'm not qualified to speak about the Catalonia issue. In one hand the reasoning for the separation is mostly bullshit, but being apart from Spain but in Europe would be a real economic boon, but then the isolationism currents that I as a foreigner feel would rise.

    Their loathing for tourism is like someone in the pent house hating the columns of a building. No matter how bothersome they are, you need them to be this tall.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  16. #13956

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Terry May's new friends from Northern Ireland are basically a British GOP: https://twitter.com/OrlaDoherty/stat...86354606837760

  17. #13957

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by firelord111 View Post
    So turns out the people that did the terrorist attack in Tehran were kurd
    As in Kurdish nationalists? Or ISIS members that happened to be Kurdish?

    It makes sense kind of. That sneaking people into Iran would be hard, so that the only people they could get to do the job would be from the Sunni minority. Which means either Kurd or Baloch right?

  18. #13958

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    As in Kurdish nationalists? Or ISIS members that happened to be Kurdish?

    It makes sense kind of. That sneaking people into Iran would be hard, so that the only people they could get to do the job would be from the Sunni minority. Which means either Kurd or Baloch right?
    already people have been arrested in Iran's Kurdistan for the terror attack and bombing materials has been found
    And also there was a guy in Isis video about terror attack talking Kurdish about jihad
    Most likely they happened to be kurd joining Isis
    But to be honest I don't like Iranian Kurd nationalists whenever I heard their leaders talk in BBC Persian they lack reasoning

  19. #13959

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    May has struck a deal with the Irish Democratic Unionist Party to reach a majority.
    The DUP is a pretty awful bunch, and the only reason the UK doesn't have gay marriage everywhere just yet.

    it doesn't seem like Scotland and N. Ireland are going anywhere anytime soon.
    The DUP gained some seats, but so did Sinn Fein. I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding Northern Ireland as a place. It's not like Scotland or Catalonia, with locals either being Scots/Catalans who want to leave Vs. Scots/Catalands who don't.
    Northern Ireland is split by what are basically two different ethno-religious groups, pulling in two different directions on the issue. So a rise in support of the DUP doesn't mean a dip in support for Sinn Fein and other anti-UK parties.

    Also it's important to note that Sinn Fein by official policy refuses to actually participate in the United Kingdom's federal parliament in spite of running for and winning elections for it. For (Catholic) Irish nationalist reasons.
    Theoretically they could have way more representatives than DUP, but it wouldn't be visible in UK politics. Heck right now in the Northern Irish parliament they and their allies outnumber the DUP and its allies. The Catholic population has been slowly and surely growing larger than the Protestant one. And per the Good Friday peace agreement, the choice on leaving the UK would come down to a popular vote.
    I'd say there's nothing backburner about N Irish departure. Scotland though yeah maybe.

    Quote Originally Posted by firelord111 View Post
    But to be honest I don't like Iranian Kurd nationalists whenever I heard their leaders talk in BBC Persian they lack reasoning
    What sort of things are they saying?

    Ironic this should come up while we're also talking about Scotland, Catalonia, and Sinn Fein.
    Last edited by Monkey King; June 9th, 2017 at 11:04 AM.

  20. #13960

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II: is racism racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    The DUP is a pretty awful bunch, and the only reason the UK doesn't have gay marriage everywhere just yet.



    The DUP gained some seats, but so did Sinn Feinn. I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding Northern Ireland as a place. It's not like Scotland or Catalonia, with locals either being Scots/Catalans who want to leave Vs. Scots/Catalands who don't.
    Northern Ireland is split by what are basically two different ethno-religious groups, pulling in two different directions on the issue. So a rise in support of the DUP doesn't mean a dip in support for Sinn Fein and other anti-UK parties.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---



    What sort of things are they saying?

    Ironic this should come up while we're also talking about Scotland, Catalonia, and Sinn Fein.
    In short
    kill them like they are killing Muslims in In all countries and surely their allied with Middle East jews
    In the end they said Saudis are next

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts