+ Reply to Thread
Page 653 of 893 FirstFirst ... 153 553 603 643 651 652 653 654 655 663 703 753 ... LastLast
Results 13,041 to 13,060 of 17857

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by sggupta View Post
    i wonder.Yes,there are mass shooting in US but does that mean Europe is more safe?There have been a spurt in terrorist attacks recently.

Anyway,i don't know the numbers but the image i had of Europe is no longer there.It's just another geography,and is certainly not immune to ideological warfare

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

That would mean that The growing Right and "Islamophobia" has a cause,and the other side has failed to address it
    Both Europe and the US are big places. Whether they're safe or not depends entirely where you are, and what is considered safe. Do we only take terrorism into account? Or crime in general? There's a lot of factors.

And to be honest I'm glad that image of Europe is disappearing. This place was never peaceful paradise. We might be getting more terror attacks recently, but it's not like we were free of these things before. The attack that had the biggest impact on me as I grew up was the right-wing nut Breivik's terror attack in Norway.

Of course it has a cause. Those things don't come out of nowhere. People address it all the time. But if they address it the right way and whether the left's efforts are helping to curb it or only put more fuel on the fire, that's something to debate.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

i wonder.Yes,there are mass shooting in US but does that mean Europe is more safe?There have been a spurt in terrorist attacks recently.

Anyway,i don't know the numbers but the image i had of Europe is no longer there.It's just another geography,and is certainly not immune to ideological warfare
    Any given Western European city is safer than any major american. Especially for tourists; who usually don't go to the gloomier areas of these cities. Sure, terrorism do happen but I doubt it would regularly impact tourists. You won't have anything to fear in most places.

Update: it seems like the Stockholm metro is starting up again after having been shut down. The gunshot stuff at Fridhelmsplan and Globen was just a false rumour. People are getting together to spread luvv. Including an adorable hashtag, #openstockholm where they offer people who can't get home a place for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    And to be honest I'm glad that image of Europe is disappearing. This place was never peaceful paradise. We might be getting more terror attacks recently, but it's not like we were free of these things before. The attack that had the biggest impact on me as I grew up was the right-wing nut Breivik's terror attack in Norway.
    Just from recent memory i can think of the ikea stabber, the swordsman at the school and the guy who blew himself up on the same street as the truckdriver struck at.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Just from recent memory i can think of the ikea stabber, the swordsman at the school and the guy who blew himself up on the same street as the truckdriver struck at.
    Another is Peter Mangs, murderer who targeted non-white people. And I don't know if he counts, but there's also gryningspyromanen (the Dawn Pyromaniac)

Some famous older events include a hijacking of a plane and the siege of the west German embassy, both in the 1970ties.

And all of these are the what's famous. There's undoubtedly smaller incidents that never made it big, and let's not forget the numerous attempts that were stopped.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

Also there is this place called Northern Ireland.

Ugh! Some fuckhead on 9gag posted uncensored pictures of the aftermath. I feel sick.

That would mean that The growing Right and "Islamophobia" has a cause,and the other side has failed to address it
    Well, there definitely seems to be a connection between the refugee crisis and the increase in Islamic terrorist attacks. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    I don't think it's mainly refugees who commit the terrorism, bur rather second generations and others who grew up within the country and never experienced the hell that made refugees flee to begin with. Many live in communities that never integrated well and never fit in, which extremists prey on and use to convert them into more radicalized ways.

Also, they haven't caught the perpetrator yet. The thought of them getting away is frustrating.
    If a majority of Islamic terrorist actors are western Muslims who become radicalized, it's unfortunately not hard to see why people become scared of all Muslims.

Take this picture and replace "Syrian refugee" with "Muslim" and think about how much worse the problem becomes. :/

We need to find ways to virtually eliminate incidents of radicalization while simultaneously reassuring the public that:

A.) Law enforcement can reliably intercept and subvert terrorist acts.
    and
    B.) Islam itself doesn't make people more likely to go out and commit acts of terror.

I remember the corporation that makes Skittles was ripshit about that stupid metaphor.
    Last edited by y2kyle89; April 7th, 2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: People are not Skittles
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

As much as I hate that picture, it was hilarious to see the original turned around like that.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    If a majority of Islamic terrorist actors are western Muslims who become radicalized, it's unfortunately not hard to see why people become scared of all Muslims.
    What?

Take this picture and replace "Syrian refugee" with "Muslim" and think about how much worse the problem becomes. :/
    https://static.independent.co.uk/s3f...9/trump-jr.jpg
    What?

Please stop playing devil's advocate and saying "I see where these people's terrible uninformed opinion comes from" as if it were your own take on things.
    Last edited by Robby; April 7th, 2017 at 10:34 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    What?

What?

Please stop playing devil's advocate and saying "I see where these people's terrible uninformed opinion comes from" as if it were your own take on things.
    If we don't try to convince those people that Muslims/Mexicans/whoever aren't dangerous, they're just going to keep voting for Trump and his ilk. In order to do that, we need to understand why they believe these things and where their fear comes from, and find ways to reassure them.

That bowl seems awfully small to be representative. As far as I know crimes tends to be pretty pretty diluted in a given population. So for terrorism who is less common it most been even rarer.

With an accurate representation I'm sure you as likely to choke from normal skittles as dying from the poisonous ones.

And even in the current image I doubt the US takes an handful as much as it pick and choose among the skittles while sitting in an hospital waiting room in case stuff turn bad.

I can understand being scarred if you have the vague notion that people from the middle east are terrorists but I doubt it is rational.

Well so we should kick every human out of earth so we can be safe

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

If we don't try to convince those people that Muslims/Mexicans/whoever aren't dangerous, they're just going to keep voting for Trump and his ilk. In order to do that, we need to understand why they believe these things and where their fear comes from, and find ways to reassure them.
    Fear comes from lack of knowledge problem is many of trumplike persons supporters don't want to listen and know

A lot of the times their fear comes out of misinformation fueled by stupid analogies like the one with the skittles. You can't convince anyone of anything if you take their bullshit reasoning as if it has as much merit as reality.

That's their game: that fantasy world where it's not about developing perspectives from actual data and figures, but about what you "believe" to be true. The moment you accept that they get to believe what they want is the moment you already lost the fight, because there's an infinite amount of bullshit and stubborn anti-arguments they can make up to continue to believe what they want.

There are people you simply can't reason it. Even if you give them all the evidences & data, they wouldn't believe you. Even if you treat them with love & care to show them the 'right' way, they wouldn't change.

Unless they want to change & is willing to listen, there's no point in trying to reach out to them.

These people are already convinced that all muslims are terrorist despite so many evidence which disprove that. Being nice to them won't change anything.

A slight update. A 39-year old man from Uzbekistan has been apprehended and is most likely the driver.

He hasn't been anybody of note previously to this, never been connected to any known radical outfits in Sweden.

They also found some manner of device in the cabin of the truck, which most likely was some sort of crude explosive device.

I feel like we're throwing the baby out with the bathwater by giving up on reassuring and reasoning with them. These people vote​, after all.

I feel like we're throwing the baby out with the bathwater by giving up on reassuring and reasoning with them. These people vote​, after all.
    Can you convince me If I refuse whatever you say without reading your text

Guy from the deepest mountains and valleys of far Persia has better grip on American Fox News grandpas than guy from Long Island. Film at 11.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...143519519.html

I saw CNN cover this cover for 3 minutes before moving on, so I did some research and found this article. Between "Syria" and "Whitehouse shake up" and "chemical attacks" they mention "3 shot in Florida" without giving details. Apparently a seemingly normal man shot a few people out of nowhere just a few hours ago. This isn't a new thing, but it's still a little sad that this story isn't more interesting to the media. It's another chapter in our messed up gun culture.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information