+ Reply to Thread
Page 630 of 892 FirstFirst ... 130 530 580 620 628 629 630 631 632 640 680 730 ... LastLast
Results 12,581 to 12,600 of 17838

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

"Trump decides sun will come up tomorrow. Please praise."

Cool article on the current state and future of autonomous vehicles: http://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-t...-full-autonomy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    "Trump decides sun will come up tomorrow. Please praise."
    Well I think it's great he's respecting that executive order by Obama. Gotta give credit where it's due.

Too bad he's presenting an anti-LGBT EO later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    As for me, nothing as great as the above, but I.. managed to still do my best at work today! I managed to have a nice discussion about everything with my normally pretty islamophobic cousins and managed to talk to them about everything and still seem approachable and nice, I think! I received a lot of care and kindness today. There is still much good in the world.
    Wonderful! The country is obviously in a very terrible state right now... I'm sick to my stomach watching all of the horrible things around me. I just read all of your posts on the matter now, so it's nice to read this last one and see some optimism and hope is coming up.

One thing I'll say is this: When times get dark and things seem hopeless, always tell yourself you're stronger than you feel at that moment. The despair can get the better of you and make you feel like you can't fight back and like things can't get better.

Don't let it.

It is ALWAYS wrong.

There is still good in the world despite everything, and its worth fighting for.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Louis-1988 View Post
    Well I think it's great he's respecting that executive order by Obama. Gotta give credit where it's due.
    So the credit you're giving him is not being a horrible motherfucker for the first time since taking office?
    Also lol at your focus being on respecting an Obama thing rather than him not fucking LGBT people in the ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis-1988 View Post
    Respecting the freedoms of one group of people while simultaneously disrespecting the values and freedoms of others is a hypocrisy I do not dare to celebrate.

In other news, didn't someone (femme?) mention to keep trump stuff in the american politics thread where it belongs?

I think Louis was threadbanned.

Look we don't have enough information yet, and some extreme vetting needs to be done before we can even consider allowing him to enter the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Look we don't have enough information yet, and some extreme vetting needs to be done before we can even consider allowing him to enter the thread.
    The decision to lef someone back into a thread should not be made by a lame-duck moderator but by his successor, provided his successor has proper email server management.

lol, I see. Info much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    lol, I see. Info much appreciated.
    Honey?~ Babe? ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Wonderful! The country is obviously in a very terrible state right now... I'm sick to my stomach watching all of the horrible things around me. I just read all of your posts on the matter now, so it's nice to read this last one and see some optimism and hope is coming up.

One thing I'll say is this: When times get dark and things seem hopeless, always tell yourself you're stronger than you feel at that moment. The despair can get the better of you and make you feel like you can't fight back and like things can't get better.

Don't let it.

It is ALWAYS wrong.

There is still good in the world despite everything, and its worth fighting for.
    This whole experience has been tragic and incredibly painful, but at the same time I think I have experienced compassion to a level I've never felt before.

You see, there's a hadith that I feel very strongly about whenever something like this happens:

Nu'man bin Bashir reported:
    Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "The believers in their mutual kindness, compassion, and sympathy are just like one body. When one of the limbs suffers, the whole body responds to it with wakefulness and fever".
    [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

I felt that on Sunday night, I felt like it was my father who died, my brother, my husband, my friend. There's the fact this was so physically close to home, but also the fact that those people who were attacked and killed share my exact way of life, and are exactly like me. They're immigrants and descendants of immigrants who have come to Canada and who feel proud to call this country home, and feel safe to visit our places of worship at night, in the inconvenience of the dead of winter, only for one purpose: to gather together and pray.

A lot goes on at mosques in evenings, even in our harsh Canadian winters. Moms bundle up their kids to accompany dad to the mosque at night so she can finally get some peace and quiet for a couple of minutes. People are there celebrating the birth of new children, or weddings together. People are seeking solace and community care for something difficult they're facing, you will sometimes hear an announcement after the congregational prayer, something like, "Please pray for so-and-so whose mother is currently in the hospital having open heart surgery" and see a crowd of hands raising up to pray for her. Or sometimes it's just you who has something difficult in your mind, and you'll go to the mosque to try to find peace and hope through prayer. You'll struggle not to laugh while seeing waddling babies busily running through the empty space between the lines of congregants praying together. You'll see people chatting and laughing together, even if they don't know each other.

This is what a mosque is, not just a place that's empty until the weekly sermon on Fridays, but a lively community that feels like walking into both a sacred yet a welcoming place. I've traveled around the world and even in a country with virtually no muslims you will find a mosque, and if I had a difficult or tiring day, walking into a mosque feels like you're finally safe, finally somewhere where you are accepted.

Feeling accepted is such an important thing. In the past couple of years through the Harper era, I experienced vileness and bigotry that made me confused and disbelieving of what was going on, "I was born and raised here, why do I feel unwelcome?" Other minorities and our LGBT friends will know this feeling, the feeling of being unwanted in the place you call home.

But i'll tell you, yesterday sped up my healing from that pain and heartbreak unbelievably fast, and so completely that I was bewildered by the outpouring of compassion and love that came from everywhere, even from here in AP!

The comment that comforted me the most was from Justin Trudeau,
    "To the more than 1 million Canadians who profess the Muslim faith, I want to say directly: we are with you, 36 million hearts are breaking with yours. We will grieve with you. We will defend you. We will love you and we will stand with you."

Which is a direct example of why the words from our leadership matters SO MUCH. When you feel, as a collective community, completely alienated, alone, hated, and disenfranchised, it matters SO MUCH to be told that you are loved by the leader of your country.

And the amazing thing was, his words weren't just words, it was demonstrated by Canadians country-wide. I have a pretty big muslim network on Facebook and my feed was inundated with stories of love, gifts that were sent to mosques, flowers and cards received, money being raised for the victims and the mosque incredibly fast, even one of our biggest local muslim businesses went on the news and said that his business will pay for the victims' funerals and mosque repairs.

M
    y facebook feed went from hundreds of posts of disbelief, heartbreak, and pain hundreds of posts of shock from the outpouring of love. It was incredible. I'm still amazed.

It just shows that even though we are all incredibly different in this huge world, even if we don't agree with each other's beliefs, we all have the power to uplift each other. We MUST uplift each other. Now that I've received this incredible feeling of being loved and cared for, even by strangers on the internet, it's only taught me that I must do the same whenever a person or a community is hurting. We CAN heal each other. A few kind words costs NOTHING, but makes SO MUCH of a difference, you won't even believe it.
    Hidden:

This year is election in iran and ahmadinejad is being scary

https://mobile.twitter.com/wikileaks...60281329741824

Wikileaks going after opponents of Fillon and Le Pen (both close Putin friends) now. Fillon is dropping hard in the polls atm due to a series of corruption scandals.

Wikileaks going after opponents of Fillon and Le Pen (both close Putin friends) now. Fillon is dropping hard in the polls atm due to a series of corruption scandals.
    All about that transparency and ratfucking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Russia is our ally against ISIS, and shares our western values. Such as shoving democracy in a vat of acid using subterfuge and corruption.

Wikileaks: On the front line of transparency
    Spoiler:
    so long as it benefits fascists with Russian connections.

Though, really, I gotta tell ya how great it is that they're all gung-ho for helping people that will ruthlessly crush them the minute they stop being useful.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    So the credit you're giving him is not being a horrible motherfucker for the first time since taking office?
    Also lol at your focus being on respecting an Obama thing rather than him not fucking LGBT people in the ear.
    Well it was a concern of the LGBT community that he was going to rip that one up. It's good news, I don't know why you have such a problem with me being happy that he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Respecting the freedoms of one group of people while simultaneously disrespecting the values and freedoms of others is a hypocrisy I do not dare to celebrate.
    Fair enough. My metality though is to celebrate the things he gets right (TPP, LGBT executive orders) and to push back hard against the things that are destructive (Muslim ban and pipeline exec orders). He's our president now, so the best thing we can hope to do is try and steer him as much in the right direction as possible and hold him accountable to make sure he does right by as many people as possible.
    Last edited by Louis-1988; February 1st, 2017 at 05:10 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information