+ Reply to Thread
Page 629 of 893 FirstFirst ... 129 529 579 619 627 628 629 630 631 639 679 729 ... LastLast
Results 12,561 to 12,580 of 17857

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

  1. #12561

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Shooting at a mosque in Quebec; 5 total dead.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ca...-idUSKBN15E04S
    Oh look, terrorism.

  2. #12562
    UNTITLED xan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somwhere around the Indus Valley

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by sggupta View Post
    Oh wow you were in those protests?Nice.

    i was just wondering some things if you could answer them.How did you guys get organised exactly?I mean,there was not much in the MSM regarding this ban.Politicians were rather muted in their response.I didn't see any voice from the Civil society on this(Or maybe there were voices,but due them probably being Right leaning,they were mostly silenced by The Left Media).I was pretty impressed how such huge protests were organised so quickly and quietly,that too peacefully.Well,before the terrorists and the Commies took over the protests at least.

    Also why exactly do you think this ban is wrong?Is it because a)the needless curbing on normal cultural activities,or b)the perceived selective thinking of the courts and the litigants about Cultural activites compared to other cultural activites(halal) or 3)the systematic campaign against indigenous breeds of cattle by supposedly foreign elements?
    The medium of communication for the protests was a common one. Facebook and whatsapp groups started spreading information within couple of days and the huge stretch of the Marina beach was chosen as the ideal place for staging a peaceful protest. The day I was there no external groups were creating problems and I pretty much saw 95% youth population with an equal mix of men and women. Surprising to see that in a mass protest in our country!

    The protest was just a tipping point of a discussion which was ongoing for pretty much a year. It all started when the topic was brought up by one of the political parties and it started spreading amongst the youth population too. Note that the sport was already banned for lot of years now and the outrage which came out now was due to a minor political protest. The topic was scrutinized from top to bottom along with determining their pros and cons against it which went on for a year with contrasting sides.

    However, recently the topic went on a different note. It became a talk of conspiracies surrounding the eroding of the culture of a linguistic group in a country which was supposed to be a melting point of cultures. It became a topic where various cultural perspectives of the country were being marginalized for a binary set of lingual limits and cultural practices i.e. eroding local cultures and the cultural imposition from the North (although the Central gov't impact is highly debatable). The whole reason for the protest had become the protection of local culture which went beyond just a sport. The reason I joined and many others had joined was mainly to highlight the true purpose of a federal structure and to assert the significance of retaining few cultural practices which aren't outright brutal.

    A similar protest occurred decades back when Hindi was forced onto state governments and my state was first in line to protest against it. The purpose again was to highlight the federal structure which was specifically put by our forefathers to make sure none of the old languages and cultures get eroded. It's interesting that many people fail to see the country in that regard
    Last edited by xan; January 29th, 2017 at 09:46 PM.
    “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

  3. #12563

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I don't think I've ever felt the border between Canada and the US to be so culturally meaningless until now, all the stranger given this happened in Franco-Canada.
    These are symptoms of the same disease, the same shit oozing around from the same orange shitpile in the US office and what he's making acceptable.
    Canadians need to rise up too, you don't even have to fight an actively hostile regime and its law enforcement thugs detaining senior citizens in wheelchairs. You just have to make a loud massive demonstration that no this shit is not the new normal. Hell no its not acceptable. Fuck no this is not the North American way. Fuck this alt-right nazi shit. And fuck even thinking of pulling off what they did in the US in terms of political office.
    Get started now before that last part becomes reality, use us (once again) as your cautionary tale.
    Canada (and the Vatican of all places) is like the last part of the western world that seems immune to this stuff coming to power. America fucked up, and Europe is absolutely crawling with easy potential fucks ups and fucks up that done already happened. And Australia lol.
    You're the last clean spot, I literally feel better about the world thinking about you still existing outside the stink of this populist shit.
    Use this tragedy to slam that foot down.

  4. #12564
    Discovered Stew Femme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A very special place

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    You don't know what it's like, Zeph, trying to stand up for justice when you're a muslim, even here. I mean, my last post can even be misconstrued and thought of "omg, that muslim woman is enraged about american injustice, what if she's just like that terrorist's wife from the states and she plans to blow something up in retaliation?"

    Everything we do must be calculated and we must use extreme caution. Trudeau will not protect us forever.
    Hidden:



  5. #12565

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    You don't know what it's like, Zeph, trying to stand up for justice when you're a muslim, even here. I mean, my last post can even be misconstrued and thought of "omg, that muslim woman is enraged about american injustice, what if she's just like that terrorist's wife from the states and she plans to blow something up in retaliation?"

    Everything we do must be calculated and we must use extreme caution. Trudeau will not protect us forever.
    I was thinking of adding an edit clarifying that I was talking all Canadians, because that was absolutely not aimed at you specifically or even really in part.
    I was going to say precisely because the people most effected are the most scared of this shit, that you (non Muslim Canadians like not Femme) need to do something.
    So uh, there's the edit I should have added after all!
    I guess I didn't post it because not having done anything much yet here (aside from donating a chunk to the ACLU) I felt hypocritical. But its true all the same.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Canadians we're doing extremely good in starting to wake up right now, better than I had begun to expect.
    And you're better than us as a whole, there I said it. If we can rally like this, you can do even better.

  6. #12566
    Discovered Stew Femme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A very special place

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I understand, don't worry, I just feel fucking powerless.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Right now I'm going through my facebook and deleting everything that mentions muslim buzzwords.
    Hidden:



  7. #12567
    UNTITLED xan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somwhere around the Indus Valley

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I was checking an article about the shooting in the Fox News FB page and I saw a comment which blamed Muslims for it and it had like 2k likes. Are people really that dumb?!
    “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

  8. #12568
    Colin Baker Apologist Mr. Zoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mobile

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by xan View Post
    I was checking an article about the shooting in the Fox News FB page and I saw a comment which blamed Muslims for it and it had like 2k likes. Are people really that dumb?!
    Tip: If you look at the comment section of groups that attract terrible rhetoric and opinions, you'll get nothing but that.
    Pro tip: Never read Fox News comment sections on Fb. Ever.
    You'll just constantly walk away with an I_Don't_Know_What_I_Was_Expecting.mp4

    I have an acquaintance on Fb who is a devout pro-life catholic, and I know if I ever get into an argument with him, his equally religious family and friends will jump in and it'll be a lost cause on my end. And it sucks because he has awful, rage-inducing rhetoric, he thinks its ironic for liberals to freak out about the lives of refugees and yet not freak out about the life of unborn fetuses. Of all the things to compare…

  9. #12569

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    I have an acquaintance on Fb who is a devout pro-life catholic, and I know if I ever get into an argument with him, his equally religious family and friends will jump in and it'll be a lost cause on my end. And it sucks because he has awful, rage-inducing rhetoric, he thinks its ironic for liberals to freak out about the lives of refugees and yet not freak out about the life of unborn fetuses. Of all the things to compare…
    Why not kick him to the curb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  10. #12570
    UNTITLED xan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somwhere around the Indus Valley

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    Tip: If you look at the comment section of groups that attract terrible rhetoric and opinions, you'll get nothing but that.
    Pro tip: Never read Fox News comment sections on Fb. Ever.
    You'll just constantly walk away with an I_Don't_Know_What_I_Was_Expecting.mp4
    Yeah I am aware of the FB Fox news page comments section but 2k likes for a comment on an article they didn't even bother opening to see who got attacked in the first place irked me a bit
    “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

  11. #12571

  12. #12572

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    I understand, don't worry, I just feel fucking powerless.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Right now I'm going through my facebook and deleting everything that mentions muslim buzzwords.
    Do not forget how many people you have helped over time. Can you imagine how many of them are stronger now and as a result able to face this?
    Do not forget how many times you have led, when it comes to spirituality or other thing, just by sheer example. Lots of people who now have a strong impression of what it really means to be a muslim woman in this day and age because of you, and who can respect and appreciate that regardless of whether there is a shared belief.

    All this stupid hate and fear make it easy to lose track of the power we actually have, and while it is true that for a moment you have to rear your head down, you do so to prepare to fight back and not out of weakness. Don't forget that power. Don't let them take that away from you.

  13. #12573
    Discovered Stew Femme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A very special place

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Do not forget how many people you have helped over time. Can you imagine how many of them are stronger now and as a result able to face this?
    Do not forget how many times you have led, when it comes to spirituality or other thing, just by sheer example. Lots of people who now have a strong impression of what it really means to be a muslim woman in this day and age because of you, and who can respect and appreciate that regardless of whether there is a shared belief.

    All this stupid hate and fear make it easy to lose track of the power we actually have, and while it is true that for a moment you have to rear your head down, you do so to prepare to fight back and not out of weakness. Don't forget that power. Don't let them take that away from you.
    Thank you, Noqanky. I needed this reminder. And thank you to those who messaged me privately and checked up on me, I really appreciate it.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    It just sucks because two things I have been taking lightly is now more and more relevant and even recommended when contemplating my future and my ability to live safely.

    Yesterday my husband, already a dual citizen, reminded me to redouble my efforts to get my Trinidadian citizenship completed, which I haven't been paying serious attention to. When I asked him why, since dual citizens are kind of looked down on right now, and if I were to be detained in a worst case scenario far off in the future, would it not be safer to only have Canadian citizenship since this is my home, he said no, it would be safer to be deported to Trinidad because they have a 30% Muslim population and I would be taken care of there, while Canada's is less than 10% and Canada has the tendency to take American policies. The fact that I was even having this conversation was horrific, but I'm still going to do it.

    The second thing is about travel to the states. I recently wrote an article on my blog about my experience getting the Nexus/Global Entry card, and encouraged other Muslims too, and it went slightly viral so it seemed to be something Muslims found important. But my husband said that he had been talking to people about my article and they said that with the Muslim ban, now applying for it is useless. So, I should be encouraging people to get it now before things get worse, which is so incredibly important at the moment. Some protection while traveling to the states as a Muslim is better than nothing, so that'll be my next task.
    Last edited by Femme; January 30th, 2017 at 12:42 PM.
    Hidden:



  14. #12574

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    The shooter has been identified as a white nationalist who followed Le Pen and Trump's Facebook account and trolled pro-refugee pages.

  15. #12575
    The Nice Guy Outerspec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Home away from home.

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Shooting at a mosque in Quebec; 5 total dead.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ca...-idUSKBN15E04S
    I haven't commented yet on this story because I just don't know what to say. I'm really just at a loss for words.
    Everything's Eventual...


  16. #12576

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    The shooter has been identified as a white nationalist who followed Le Pen and Trump's Facebook account and trolled pro-refugee pages.
    The best part was seeing people go OMG MUSLIM EXTREMIST when reports of a Muslim guy fleeing the scene came up... and it turned out he was actually helping the victims and only fleed when he thought the cops coming in at first were just more people with guns.

    Suck it, you xenophobic cockwombles.

  17. #12577

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    The shooter has been identified as a white nationalist who followed Le Pen and Trump's Facebook account and trolled pro-refugee pages.
    But...but it has to be a muslim. Aren't they all terrorist?! My puny brain can't take this!

    I don't want to read the comment sections...
    This is a tragic incident that had to happen when all the shits is going on.

  18. #12578

  19. #12579
    Discovered Stew Femme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A very special place

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Profiles of the victims:
    Mosque shooting victims: Six men who sought better lives in Quebec


    As for updates from my network:

    -Organization I'm very close to raised $140,000 of a $100,000 goal in one day to be sent to the victims' families
    -Friend's organisation raises $80,000 today for victims' families
    -Imam I've gone to Mecca with, twice, and worked with a couple of times speaks at a rally at his mosque in front of a huge supportive crowd
    -Vigils held all over the country, with one in my city and one at University of Toronto, a lot of press about vigils
    -Justin Trudeau, while not perfect, still makes me feel at ease

    As for me, nothing as great as the above, but I.. managed to still do my best at work today! I managed to have a nice discussion about everything with my normally pretty islamophobic cousins and managed to talk to them about everything and still seem approachable and nice, I think! I received a lot of care and kindness today. There is still much good in the world.
    Hidden:



  20. #12580
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    Profiles of the victims:
    Mosque shooting victims: Six men who sought better lives in Quebec


    As for updates from my network:

    -Organization I'm very close to raised $140,000 of a $100,000 goal in one day to be sent to the victims' families
    -Friend's organisation raises $80,000 today for victims' families
    -Imam I've gone to Mecca with, twice, and worked with a couple of times speaks at a rally at his mosque in front of a huge supportive crowd
    -Vigils held all over the country, with one in my city and one at University of Toronto, a lot of press about vigils
    -Justin Trudeau, while not perfect, still makes me feel at ease

    As for me, nothing as great as the above, but I.. managed to still do my best at work today! I managed to have a nice discussion about everything with my normally pretty islamophobic cousins and managed to talk to them about everything and still seem approachable and nice, I think! I received a lot of care and kindness today. There is still much good in the world.
    Stay strong! There are people believing and supporting peace in every part of the world and though sometimes the hate seems to drown out the voices of love, it never prevails. The good people will not falter.


+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts