+ Reply to Thread
Page 623 of 892 FirstFirst ... 123 523 573 613 621 622 623 624 625 633 673 723 ... LastLast
Results 12,441 to 12,460 of 17833

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

I wonder how my life would be if I lived in a country that was once a Dutch Colony instead of Portuguese.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I wonder how my life would be if I lived in a country that was once a Dutch Colony instead of Portuguese.
    It could always be worse; it could have been Belgium.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    It could always be worse; it could have been Belgium.
    Do you wanna hands over your Tintin's Comics?

Head up to Suriname and find out.

Shittier probably.

Only the former New Netherlands seem to be doing fine these days.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    You had a psuedo-fascist dictatorship from 1933 to 1974. The Portuguese state was absolutely killing people less than 150 years ago, and not for war crimes.
    Well, I was talking about the LAW in my country. The fact that in the meantime a fascist dictatorship usurped the rule of law and did as they pleased doesn't speak for the mentality of the country as a whole. There was a British-style monarchy and then a parlamentary republic before the military took over.
    But yeah, theoretically, the laws were applied only in the mainland, I guess. Colonies were free for all. And thanks for reminding me of the dictatorship on the day after the funeral of Mário Soares (I trust you know who he was ;) ).

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Wasn't Brazil a dutch colony for a few years during the wars between the dutch republic and Portugal? And hey, it was the best colony of the bunch, the capital of the empire was even Rio de Janeiro while Napoleon was thrashing Portugal
    Last edited by Chrior; January 11th, 2017 at 07:00 PM.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post

Now I like eating unhealthy food as much as the next guy, but seriously.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Now I like eating unhealthy food as much as the next guy, but seriously.
    It's basically like the double down.

I want to try this lol. My Facebook kept showing me ads for this and a 5 Guys shake with caramel and bacon.

I'm gonna be fat this weekend.

I'm not even surprised anymore. I've seen Dorito taco shells and cheeseburgers with donuts for buns in my life.

I'm sure you could have a heart attack just looking at this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    It's basically like the double down.

I want to try this lol. My Facebook kept showing me ads for this and a 5 Guys shake with caramel and bacon.

I'm gonna be fat this weekend.
    I thought it was going to be a bit much with the idea it was going to have meat inside of the taco itself. But it's not so it's just like the Double Down.....minus bacon inside of it of course.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    But wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have him in jail for a long time and during said time have a psychiatrist work on him? Study his case. Search for his deep motivations, analyse his train of thought, try to make him come to his senses, instill humanistic values in him... Try to reshape him as a person?
    In order to do that, the person in question must have the intention to repent. Last I checked, Roof showed no interest in doing such a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Would it really make no difference if he were a white man who killed only white victims, or a black man who killed only black victims? What about a woman who killed only female victims or a man who killed only male victims?
    John Wayne Gacy killed white males, got the death sentence, and even if there were protests held in the time of his execution, the general consensus was that he deserved it.

Maybe not a good example, but it got two bingo points off of your list.

Another thing: Gacy didn't really show remorse either, he instead tried to work towards swaying people around him, as he used to do in all his life. I once watched an interview with him and I shuddered at how easy-going and nice guy he looked and acted like. Really makes you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    I'm not even surprised anymore. I've seen Dorito taco shells and cheeseburgers with donuts for buns in my life.

https://theburgerguide.com/images/bu...eland-ohio.jpg
    how can one eat it without spilling half of it on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    In order to do that, the person in question must have the intention to repent. Last I checked, Roof showed no interest in doing such a thing.
    That's what the psychiatrist would be there for. If he wanted to repent, he could do so without professional help...

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post

Urgh, not a good thing to look at after having a big breakfast.

That's what the psychiatrist would be there for. If he wanted to repent, he could do so without professional help...
    A psychiatrist isn't a wizard. To be able to start, there needs to be a certain willingness on the prisoner's part. One can't just talk him into submission.

A psychiatrist isn't a wizard. To be able to start, there needs to be a certain willingness on the prisoner's part. One can't just talk him into submission.
    That's true, but not making an effort and killing him right away just seems like tossing a human life away without trying to do anything to save it. People were killed in this affair already, no need to kill another one.

That's true, but not making an effort and killing him right away just seems like tossing a human life away without trying to do anything to save it. People were killed in this affair already, no need to kill another one.
    How do we know they didn't already try?

As for "saving a life". I... have a hard time feeling sympathy for such a person. Is it even a life worth holding onto? Can this person contribute to society in any way? I'm not saying shoot him in the head right now, but "saving" is a strong word considering the situation.

How do we know they didn't already try?

As for "saving a life". I... have a hard time feeling sympathy for such a person. Is it even a life worth holding onto? Can this person contribute to society in any way? I'm not saying shoot him in the head right now, but "saving" is a strong word considering the situation.
    I cab certainly understand your view on things, but my humanistic side just tells me that is not right. People who aren't dealing with the case personally and don't know all details ("How do we know they didn't already try?") can only comment so much... I still think death penalty should not exist in a country that considers itself to be developed in this day and age.

Look out for Wednesday or maybe even sooner for Obama to possibly commute Chelsea Manning's sentence.

Possibly.

Chances of this coming to fruition are slim but I really, really, really hope he does the right thing. Because commuting her sentence is the right thing to do.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...tation-n705441
    Everything's Eventual...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information