+ Reply to Thread
Page 620 of 892 FirstFirst ... 120 520 570 610 618 619 620 621 622 630 670 720 ... LastLast
Results 12,381 to 12,400 of 17833

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

It's awful what people are capable of. Those people should be jailed. I just wish the same level of justice was met for that guy that white guy that raped a mentally disabled black classmate with a coat hanger.

It's frustrating that similar crimes aren't handled the same across the board. Fucking Brock Turner crap all day every day. The second it's people of color that are the criminals it's swift justice.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Today died the man who is seen by many as the "father of Portuguese democracy". Controversial but respected guy, former Prime-Minister and President of the Republic, who guided the efforts to democratize the country and join the EEC/EU. RIP, Mário Soares.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...l-dies-aged-92

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    MSNBC initially. It was reported that police only learned of the facebook video after the live broadcast had concluded and been reuploaded in its entirety, and the article you linked reflects that.

It's very possible that the livestream was reported and that information somehow hadn't made it into the hands of police at the time of the MSNBC news report (over a day later), but the police definitely weren't aware of the video until after the livestream had concluded. At the very least this is a case of extreme police incompetence as they should have been able to act and possibly intervene during the several hour long broadcast.

The fearmongering by various right-wing news outlets that this crime was somehow orchestrated by Black Lives Matter is absolutely wrong based on the evidence we have (and the people making that claim are far from credible), but it's still extremely disturbing that the police have refused to charge violent racists with a racism-based hate crime. They're being charged with a disability hate crime instead.
    The live broadcast was only about 30 minutes long, not several hours. And a lot of it consisted of a woman smoking and talking to the camera so it's not clear how many people just logged on, saw a woman smoking and talking shit, and then left the stream.

Since Facebook has so far refused to release any information regarding whether or not anybody reported the video which was taken down after 30 minutes, so Facebook definitely found out about it somehow, it's not clear where or how MSNBC got the information on "nobody" reporting the video. Nowhere can I find any quotes on that. Not even on MSNBC. Even those extreme right-wing conspiracy theorist sites aren't reporting that info...because Facebook hasn't said anything. I do know Facebook has been shown to fall short or overstep its job of curating and censoring videos/posts that violate its policies once a video or picture is reported.
    Everything's Eventual...

"Google Translate invented its own language to help it translate more effectively. What’s more, nobody told it to."

https://medium.com/@GilFewster/the-m...805#.cjs4nglvk
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The whole point of machine learning algorithms is that you don't program exact behavior into them, they're meant to "experiment" with different approaches and find the "best" way to do things. That article is a little over the top and personifies a standard, albeit relatively new, type of computer problem solving technique a bit too much.
    Last edited by benjamminbrown; January 8th, 2017 at 07:25 PM.

That's pretty interesting. I do wonder how this improves the translation ability though. GT has never really been good at much besides individual words and sometimes phrases, so I wonder if this does substantially improve machine translations or not. If not now, in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    The live broadcast was only about 30 minutes long, not several hours. And a lot of it consisted of a woman smoking and talking to the camera so it's not clear how many people just logged on, saw a woman smoking and talking shit, and then left the stream.

Since Facebook has so far refused to release any information regarding whether or not anybody reported the video which was taken down after 30 minutes, so Facebook definitely found out about it somehow, it's not clear where or how MSNBC got the information on "nobody" reporting the video. Nowhere can I find any quotes on that. Not even on MSNBC. Even those extreme right-wing conspiracy theorist sites aren't reporting that info...because Facebook hasn't said anything. I do know Facebook has been shown to fall short or overstep its job of curating and censoring videos/posts that violate its policies once a video or picture is reported.
    Is there any place that archives the news broadcasts? We should really start keeping track of just how awful the reporting is on these things. The difference between a six hour broadcast and a 30 minute broadcast is pretty significant.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Is there any place that archives the news broadcasts? We should really start keeping track of just how awful the reporting is on these things. The difference between a six hour broadcast and a 30 minute broadcast is pretty significant.
    I'm not aware of any dedicated archives to this specific story but a few timely google searches should keep anyone relatively up to date.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    I'm not aware of any dedicated archives to this specific story but a few timely google searches should keep anyone relatively up to date.
    I meant archives for news broadcasts in general.

Maybe, but I'm not sure.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    It's awful what people are capable of. Those people should be jailed. I just wish the same level of justice was met for that guy that white guy that raped a mentally disabled black classmate with a coat hanger.

It's frustrating that similar crimes aren't handled the same across the board. Fucking Brock Turner crap all day every day. The second it's people of color that are the criminals it's swift justice.
    That one was awful too. It angers me to hear people come out of the woodwork and defend these monsters based solely on the color of their skin.

On what possible technicality can holding a man down and forcing an object into his anus not be considered a sex crime?

What the actual fuck is going on in that court's line of reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    On what possible technicality can holding a man down and forcing an object into his anus not be considered a sex crime?

What the actual fuck is going on in that court's line of reasoning.
    I'm guessing they argued that the attacker didn't enjoy it sexually (which shouldn't matter because it's nearly impossible to prove), and he should be viewed as a potential "victim" of allegedly harsh laws regarding sex crimes?

...Or he just straight up bribed the judge.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; January 10th, 2017 at 01:51 PM.

Yeah, that one was just... insane. The USA have some very deep problems that kind of had been masked during the last couple decades of development, but now are just getting thrown at our faces thanks to the ease of circulation of information today. One of the good things about the Continental legal system instead of the Anglo-Saxon one is that there are usually no abiguities that can be exploited more easily like that, and as such it's harder to discriminate people at court, I guess. But money is always the determining factor, in the end. Always been, always will be. That's probably why our former Prime Minister was preventively jailed for corruption and tax evasion and has since been freed and will likely stay free and return to politics.

Just saw that after 3 hours of deliberation, Dylan Roof was sentenced to death.

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.ny...eston.amp.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Just saw that after 3 hours of deliberation, Dylan Roof was sentenced to death.

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.ny...eston.amp.html
    I still have a reeeeally hard time grasping how there are still death sentences in a 1st world country in the 21st century. I thought it was somewhere in Africa or Asia before opening the link...

Personally i have no major problems with the concept of the death penelty.

It's more a question of when and as punishment for what crimes it is appropriate and by what means.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    I still have a reeeeally hard time grasping how there are still death sentences in a 1st world country in the 21st century. I thought it was somewhere in Africa or Asia before opening the link...
    I can't see how that's surprising in a country with a love story with guns. And considering appropriate punishment is one function of the justice system, sometimes death seems like the appropriate level of punishment for extremely grave and heinous crimes. Justice systems are still made by humans and their various values.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Personally i have no major problems with the concept of the death penelty.

It's more a question of when and as punishment for what crimes it is appropriate and by what means.
    Yeah it's all over the place with regards to where and when it should be applied.

Though in this case (despite my opposition to the process itself) Roof was kind of asking for it in this instance with his shitty defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information