+ Reply to Thread
Page 571 of 893 FirstFirst ... 71 471 521 561 569 570 571 572 573 581 621 671 ... LastLast
Results 11,401 to 11,420 of 17846

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

  1. #11401
    Discovered Stowaway The Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Philippines

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Yeah and as expected the meeting between Obama and Duterte has been cancelled.

    http://www.rappler.com/world/regions...eeting-duterte

  2. #11402

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by The Star View Post
    Yeah and as expected the meeting between Obama and Duterte has been cancelled.

    http://www.rappler.com/world/regions...eeting-duterte
    Why is he even doing this?
    Does his voting base uh...I don't get it.
    China is being Asshole #1, and the Philippines has the Queen chess piece of good US relations...and Duterte wants to take that out of play?

  3. #11403

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Remember the good old days when the assholes the US were tied to didn't actively try to torpedo the relationship?

  4. #11404
    The Ugly never die loneassassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    A solid gold house with a rocket car in front

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    https://www.yahoo.com/news/conservat...000253742.html

    Now if you excuse me I have to play this


    If you are gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk
    RIP Eli Wallach

    3DS Friend Code: 3454-0518-6166

  5. #11405

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    2016 going for the 2011 title belt on big deaths, and well still got a third left.
    Lets see how many more potential avatars LegendarySSJ4 can get.

  6. #11406
    Discovered Stowaway The Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Philippines

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Why is he even doing this?
    Does his voting base uh...I don't get it.
    China is being Asshole #1, and the Philippines has the Queen chess piece of good US relations...and Duterte wants to take that out of play?
    May it be because of his ties with communists/socialists, that makes him abhor the imperialistic, capitalist America. Meh, I think it's just the bloody history between the Southern Philippines and the Americans back then in the America-colonizing-Philippines era. Which up until now, US military has some kind of influence and intervention out there in the south. He just can't let it go.

    I can't believe this is all just him opposing any kind of criticism to his grand plan. Or maybe it is only that simple sigh.

  7. #11407
    The Ugly never die loneassassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    A solid gold house with a rocket car in front

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    2016 going for the 2011 title belt on big deaths, and well still got a third left.
    Lets see how many more potential avatars LegendarySSJ4 can get.
    I'm kinda sad that H.R. Giger didn't live long enough to see Schafly leave this mortal coil after all the shit she indirectly put him through

    If you are gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk
    RIP Eli Wallach

    3DS Friend Code: 3454-0518-6166

  8. #11408

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I was expecting no tears to be shed for Schafly she seemed like a real nasty witch from what I've read up on a few times before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  9. #11409
    Lost in Traslation Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/conservat...000253742.html

    Now if you excuse me I have to play this

    Thanks for the link, I didn't recall who Schlafly was. Trump saying[I]" She was a patriot, a champion for women, and a symbol of strength."I] about her made me snort as he once again shows he doesn't know or understand women, as earlier in the article it said this=
    "Phyllis Schlafly, who became a "founding mother" of the modern U.S. conservative movement by battling feminists in the 1970s and working tirelessly to defeat the Equal Rights Amendment,..."Working against Equal Rights? some will argue that means she wasn't a real patriot either, just a bigot.

    Even more on the so-called 'champion for women' =
    Schlafly once called feminists "a bunch of bitter women seeking a constitutional cure for their personal problems," Time said, while insisting that "women find their greatest fulfillment at home with their family."
    I've got two things to say =
    1-If that was true then why is she in politics??
    2- No wonder Trump likes her.

    ....she continued to preach conservative causes such as limited government, anti-abortion laws, traditional education, strong defense and keeping out illegal immigrants.

    Talk about hypocritical, the last 4 contradict the first one since that's not limiting government, but the opposite.

    You know what... I know understand why you posted that vid

  10. #11410

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    You know, just about any other year, Schlafly would be the person whose lifetime legacy was almost exclusively one of making her fellow Americans' lives worse for no other reason than sheer petty vindictiveness and a contempt for anybody not exactly like her. Of course, Scalia died earlier this year so she's only second-rate, which would be how she wanted it really.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  11. #11411
    The Ugly never die loneassassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    A solid gold house with a rocket car in front

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Thanks for the link, I didn't recall who Schlafly was. Trump saying[I]" She was a patriot, a champion for women, and a symbol of strength."I] about her made me snort as he once again shows he doesn't know or understand women, as earlier in the article it said this=
    "Phyllis Schlafly, who became a "founding mother" of the modern U.S. conservative movement by battling feminists in the 1970s and working tirelessly to defeat the Equal Rights Amendment,..."Working against Equal Rights? some will argue that means she wasn't a real patriot either, just a bigot.

    Even more on the so-called 'champion for women' =
    Schlafly once called feminists "a bunch of bitter women seeking a constitutional cure for their personal problems," Time said, while insisting that "women find their greatest fulfillment at home with their family."
    I've got two things to say =
    1-If that was true then why is she in politics??
    2- No wonder Trump likes her.

    ....she continued to preach conservative causes such as limited government, anti-abortion laws, traditional education, strong defense and keeping out illegal immigrants.

    Talk about hypocritical, the last 4 contradict the first one since that's not limiting government, but the opposite.

    You know what... I know understand why you posted that vid
    The best part is that her kids were primarily raised by caretakers and nannies because she was out on the road all the time telling women to get in the fucking kitchen and stay at home to take care of their families

    If you are gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk
    RIP Eli Wallach

    3DS Friend Code: 3454-0518-6166

  12. #11412
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
    The best part is that her kids were primarily raised by caretakers and nannies because she was out on the road all the time telling women to get in the fucking kitchen and stay at home to take care of their families
    I'd argue that was better than them being raised by their mother.


  13. #11413

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    http://www.thelocal.se/20160903/swedish-pediatrician-some-refugee-children-nearly-40

    Apparently people can be tempted to lie to gain better accomodations when you require no verification of claims.

    A somewhat sensationalist headline though.
    Last edited by wolfwood; September 6th, 2016 at 07:16 AM.

  14. #11414

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    You know, just about any other year, Schlafly would be the person whose lifetime legacy was almost exclusively one of making her fellow Americans' lives worse for no other reason than sheer petty vindictiveness and a contempt for anybody not exactly like her. Of course, Scalia died earlier this year so she's only second-rate, which would be how she wanted it really.
    Man this would be a good burn but it's like literally true... now I'm just sad.

  15. #11415
    Discovered Stowaway Sparsebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Québec, Québec

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    https://themoscowtimes.com/news/unit...troversy-55224

    Late last month, a billboard appeared in northern Russian city of Petrozavodsk advertising the ruling political party United Russia. The banner included a quote from Vladimir Putin, reading “The foundation of United Russia’s politics is a deep understanding of the country’s state interests.” The billboard would likely have gone unnoticed, were it not for the fact that it was installed atop a concrete slab planted in the middle of a handicapped parking space outside a local grocery store.

  16. #11416

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I dunno how many are following Kaepernick's protest. But it's amazing that so many people can't understand this. Or the fact that the Santa Clara police are trying to protest doing their jobs over it. People are stupid...

    http://theundefeated.com/features/th...in-kaepernick/

  17. #11417
    Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I personally don't agree with Kaepernick's actions, as I do not believe the United States as a country oppresses black people, but he has the right to do it. People of course have the right to critique him in return, but all this furor is just silly.


    Spoiler:

  18. #11418

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Honestly I am (and always have been) disturbed by this perceived obligation to "be patriotic" and stand with hand over chest for the anthem. Maybe it's due to having three citizenships and a largely multicultural upbringing, but it has always in some way revolted me to see masses of people hollering about how we're the best country in the world, and that we owe something to the country as an entity other than what we do day to day (and, you know, taxes).

    Especially with the Olympics just having passed, the contrast is stark between the behavior of the United States and pretty much every other country in the world during medal ceremonies. I swear you can just see on other peoples' faces the thought that Americans are some narcissistic cult.

    But no, opting not to participate in our own little version of Heil Hitler is a disgrace and an insult to the troops.

  19. #11419
    Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    My Rightful Throne (not porcelain)

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Almost everyone I've seen agrees he has the right to protest even if they don't agree with it, which makes the Santa Clara PD seem like a bunch of thin-skinned infants for threatening to not serve and protect 49ers home games.

    Personally I don't really agree with his protest for two reasons:
    a) It comes off as a protest of America as a whole. Obviously there are deep-seated and systemic issues of racism in the country but his protest doesn't totally feel like it targets those problems and instead ignores the accomplishments of the U.S. and the progress we've made.

    b) The message is easily lost. Kaepernick might be doing this for the right reasons and the fact that he's pledged $1,000,000 from his salary to charities is encouraging, but the media has quickly transformed his protest about racial injustice and police brutality to a discussion of Kaepernick as a person and free speech rights. I get that this is the biggest stage Kaepernick can easily act on but I think there are more direct ways of protest that are more on-message and likely to inspire quicker change.

    If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

  20. #11420
    Discovered Stowaway Sparsebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Québec, Québec

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    Honestly I am (and always have been) disturbed by this perceived obligation to "be patriotic" and stand with hand over chest for the anthem. Maybe it's due to having three citizenships and a largely multicultural upbringing, but it has always in some way revolted me to see masses of people hollering about how we're the best country in the world, and that we owe something to the country as an entity other than what we do day to day (and, you know, taxes).

    Especially with the Olympics just having passed, the contrast is stark between the behavior of the United States and pretty much every other country in the world during medal ceremonies. I swear you can just see on other peoples' faces the thought that Americans are some narcissistic cult.

    But no, opting not to participate in our own little version of Heil Hitler is a disgrace and an insult to the troops.
    True... I also find patriotism in general pretty disgusting, especially when it's seen as an obligation. It does seems to be some kind of group mentality that brings the worst out of people...

    Then again, most of the "ism"s are pretty disgusting, especially when pushed to the extreme...
    Last edited by Sparsebeard; September 6th, 2016 at 02:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts