+ Reply to Thread
Page 568 of 893 FirstFirst ... 68 468 518 558 566 567 568 569 570 578 618 668 ... LastLast
Results 11,341 to 11,360 of 17857

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Wha.. I disagree, Trump's worse than that! It's more like Scooby Doo & Scrappy Too .... and yes Trump is as annoying as Scrappy was, anytime he opened his mouth I'd cringe. Trump's the same and filled with just as much bullshit.
    I'd argue he's more like Freddy from "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo". Scrappy at least tried to do right despite his Leeroy Jenkins mindset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/24/di...tml?ref=dining

Tuscon becomes the US's first world heiritage town in the food category.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Remember when Scooby Doo ran out of ideas and started sponging popularity off of guest stars every episode? Trump is now The New Scooby Doo Movies.
    Oh lord. Does that mean he's going to have an inexplicable resurgence in about 20-30 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Oh lord. Does that mean he's going to have an inexplicable resurgence in about 20-30 years?
    He's already did work with WWE :S
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Well he's 70. That might be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    [hide]

You live about as near Mexico's slums as i live near Russia bad parts though.
    Are masses of Russian semi-refugees pouring into Sweden to the extent of changing the demographic landscape and becoming a huge political football issue?
    Mexico is extremely relevant to the US at any given time, we're also extremely relevant to them due to all that drug production having us as the main customer.
    And of course those drugs go into the inner-cities and provide the main matter of gang and gun violence there.
    Neither really gives us any personal experience about how living there really is, it's theoretical, it's textbook,

Its constant news stories and discussion among experts, Mexican, American, Mexican-American or otherwise, in all sorts of media. Seen and encountered from birth. Being bellowed from politician's mouths. Of knowing people who immigrated or are visiting from around there. Or other countries with drug nightmare pasts or present.
    And all this going back a long time.
    This is like saying Greeks talking about the Turkish coup attempt are just speaking from academic exercise.
    Atleast to me, maybe you've actually spent alot of time in some of those towns where they gun down the chief of police as soon as he's instated.
    Oh is that the worst of it?
    You realize that you're making a fallacious approach to the argument here. Dismissing arguments from outsiders who don't know how bad it gets...but even internally you're going to find I think that the Philippines doesn't know what bad looks like if Mexico and its Cartels are in the discussion.
    I was under the impression that Mexico was de facto at war within it's own borders. Maybe i'm misunderstanding that, but the army seems to be moved in alot and given alot of rein. Suppose it's more established legally for the military to have shoot-outs without trial than for the police. But yeah judge dredding is bound to have casualties beyond the criminals. I'm not disputing that.
    Because they are fighting Cartels that have metastasized into being practically having their own militaries (some of them including former elite Mexican military!), and even then their approach is more stepping up security and power of law enforcement by using the military in the role of what police would be doing. Making arrests, patrolling, keeping the peace. Comparable almost to a military occupation in a dangerous lawless area.
    And of course not encouraging vigilante crap since it was if anything also a move demonstrating that not even local police forces could be trusted to be effective, let alone mobs of people.

No but living in a state, that according to Duerte (Whatever his word is worth), verges on being a failed state is though.
    The Philippines is nowhere near being a failed state. And has nowhere near the drug chaos of Mexico (last I checked they aren't dead center on a huge trafficking route to a mega populated first world nation).

That much is entirely theoretical to both you and me, and living in one of the worlds largest drug hubs is too.
    I highly doubt the Philippines is a major drug hub. It's an archipelago off to the side of Asia. Close only really to Malaysia's backyard garage, and Indonesia's garden shed.
    To be a major drug hub is all about either being a major production center (Afghanistan) or major trafficking route (Mexico).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_drug_trade
    That map is from the CIA, not made by wiki people, and the Philippines doesn't even register a mention on it.

Corroded justice systems, judges and army generals on a criminals payroll, i would have to say that this is also entirely theoretical for you and me.
    Yeah, sounds horrible. In fact it also sounds like a situation where empowering that law enforcement with basically legalized extrajudicial killing would be a monumentally terrible idea?

Rampant poverty, glue sniffing kids, shanty towns. To me this is things i can at best imagine. And i hope that is the case for the US too.
    The part where law enforcement aren't angels who can't be trusted to responsibly use lethal force is not something I have to imagine.
    Now multiply that by 20 for a third world country and its police force and waw waw wee waw. I can imagine quite a lot.

It's essentially a college question, what should a crumbling third world country do about it's drug crime. Answer according to the theoretical model you've read
    Or the real actual life examples from the 15 or so countries to your immediate south whose drug crime experience makes the Philippines look like Sweden.
    For instance, do the Filipino drug dealers kidnap online commentators who badmouthed them, kill them, then hang their corpses from public highway overpasses as a warning?
    Do they decapitate victims, peel the skin off their heads, then leave those skinless heads for people to find?
    Are any of them comprised of former special forces troops gone rogue?

His already slap on the wrist got cut down to just three months? What the hell?!? Dude was convicted of three felonies!

If he weren't an athlete and he was black he'd be in there for a decade.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Are masses of Russian semi-refugees pouring into Sweden to the extent of changing the demographic landscape and becoming a huge political football issue?

Mexico is extremely relevant to the US at any given time, we're also extremely relevant to them due to all that drug production having us as the main customer.
    And of course those drugs go into the inner-cities and provide the main matter of gang and gun violence there.

Its constant news stories and discussion among experts, Mexican, American, Mexican-American or otherwise, in all sorts of media. Seen and encountered from birth. Being bellowed from politician's mouths. Of knowing people who immigrated or are visiting from around there. Or other countries with drug nightmare pasts or present.
    And all this going back a long time.
    This is like saying Greeks talking about the Turkish coup attempt are just speaking from academic exercise.
    Dunno. How do you view the divide betwenn first hand and second or third-hand experiences then? Do you suppose that one could read, watch and talk to enough people who experienced a thing to claim a genuine understanding of what they experienced and how that affected their mentality and paths. Or is there still a noticable divide betwenn what is lived and what is consumed even in a world as globalized and digitalized as ours. I've always thought of our talks here at AP as academic exercises for the most part, since we talk about farflung corners of the earth, based on what we've read or heard.

Like leaving aside the current topic, it's an interesting topic to wonder about.

You realize that you're making a fallacious approach to the argument here. Dismissing arguments from outsiders who don't know how bad it gets...but even internally you're going to find I think that the Philippines doesn't know what bad looks like if Mexico and its Cartels are in the discussion.
    I'm not dismissing it, atleast that wasn't my intent. Maybe that's how it's come across.

It was more of an opinion that there is an experience difference betwenn living near, for instance, Mexico and living in Mexico.

The Philippines is nowhere near being a failed state. And has nowhere near the drug chaos of Mexico (last I checked they aren't dead center on a huge trafficking route to a mega populated first world nation).
    My bad there. The phrase he used was "Will be a narco-state by 2025"

I highly doubt the Philippines is a major drug hub. It's an archipelago off to the side of Asia. Close only really to Malaysia's backyard garage, and Indonesia's garden shed.
    To be a major drug hub is all about either being a major production center (Afghanistan) or major trafficking route (Mexico).
    That map is from the CIA, not made by wiki people, and the Philippines doesn't even register a mention on it.
    They produce and/or trade about 9 billion dollars worth a year. I'd say that's definetely the big leagues.

Not that there needs to be a dick measuring thing about who's the worst. Even 1 billion dollars worth of drugs is 1 billion too many.

Yeah, sounds horrible. In fact it also sounds like a situation where empowering that law enforcement with basically legalized extrajudicial killing would be a monumentally terrible idea?
    I'm not saying it's a great idea. I've never said it's a great idea. I'm not even suggesting it's a decent idea.

What i've voiced is the opinion that it's easy to find faults, while not offering any solutions. Especially when you are far removed from it yourself.

And that it's quite human to take a gamble on a destructive short-term solution over a maybe solution far in the future.

Or the real actual life examples from the 15 or so countries to your immediate south whose drug crime experience makes the Philippines look like Sweden.
    For instance, do the Filipino drug dealers kidnap online commentators who badmouthed them, kill them, then hang their corpses from public highway overpasses as a warning?
    Do they decapitate victims, peel the skin off their heads, then leave those skinless heads for people to find?
    Are any of them comprised of former special forces troops gone rogue?
    Since the Sinaloa cartel is operating in the Phillipines it's not impossible that they'd take some traditons with 'em.

Dunno how the Chinese triads dispose of interlopers though, maybe they do it more low key.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I Seriously hate this country right now. Where's a Punisher when you need them? That other rapist white guy athlete will probably have the same thing happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    His already slap on the wrist got cut down to just three months? What the hell?!? Dude was convicted of three felonies!

If he weren't an athlete and he was black he'd be in there for a decade.
    Soo the whole athletes get away with alot of shit thing. Who is the one applying pressure there?

Is it the coaches? The university? Or what's the deal there. Like in general. Why would a judge care about school sports?

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Quick point, but the Philippines have been identified by the U.N. and a few other organizations as having the biggest drug problem in East Asia. It's not Mexico bad but it's a major destination for marijuana and crystal meth, as opposed to a producer or trafficking route.

Dunno. How do you view the divide between first hand and second or third-hand experiences then? Do you suppose that one could read, watch and talk to enough people who experienced a thing to claim a genuine understanding of what they experienced and how that affected their mentality and paths. Or is there still a noticeable divide between what is lived and what is consumed even in a world as globalized and digitalized as ours. I've always thought of our talks here at AP as academic exercises for the most part, since we talk about farflung corners of the earth, based on what we've read or heard.
    As someone who's lived in San Diego for most of my life, right on the border of Mexico, there are frequent first- and secondhand accounts of people being raped, assaulted, and kidnapped in Tijuana. At high schools they have yearly presentations on the dangers of visiting TJ, especially at night. These are just random civilians being affected and hurt by cartel activity and the lawlessness they've created.

Additionally, we see major busts each year of literal tons of marijuana and cocaine worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Numerous sophisticated drug tunnels have been found crossing the border. The San Diego-Tijuana border crossing is the busiest international border crossing in the world so dozens of small scale busts of drugs, arms, and human trafficking go relatively unreported each week. And even then we're shielded from the worst of the violent crime going on in Mexico.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Soo the whole athletes get away with alot of shit thing. Who is the one applying pressure there?

Is it the coaches? The university? Or what's the deal there. Like in general. Why would a judge care about school sports?
    He went to Stanford too. And hey, he might just be a misogynist.

The Olympic Swim Team dropped him from any further consideration though.

Judge is probably a rapist too. Wouldn't be surprising.

Dunno. How do you view the divide betwenn first hand and second or third-hand experiences then? Do you suppose that one could read, watch and talk to enough people who experienced a thing to claim a genuine understanding of what they experienced and how that affected their mentality and paths.
    Well in the first place I'm not approaching this issue from an emotional understanding path, mostly because that's besides the point.
    Like at this point you're not even talking about whether Duterte is making good policy or bad policy. You're talking about understanding why he has support, which is an entirely different conversation.
    You seem to be under the impression that they're the same conversation.

It was more of an opinion that there is an experience difference betwenn living near, for instance, Mexico and living in Mexico.
    And I'm of the opinion that the issues under discussion are significantly more martian to a Swede than an American.

My bad there. The phrase he used was "Will be a narco-state by 2025"
    Why are you quoting his words as a sober credible source? He's the Filipino Trump.

They produce and/or trade about 9 billion dollars worth a year. I'd say that's definetely the big leagues.
    The only source I'm finding for that is wikipedia (8.4 billion rounded up), and the cited source for that doesn't say it...and is actually an article about how the Sinaloa Cartel has been moving into the Philippines.
    Which illustrates how much worse Mexico is, since they're franchising in the Philippines as a side market lol.

Not that there needs to be a dick measuring thing about who's the worst. Even 1 billion dollars worth of drugs is 1 billion too many.
    And also the net worth of El Chapo alone.
    But your whole approach is about experiential credibility, so that does turn things into a dick measuring context.

What i've voiced is the opinion that it's easy to find faults, while not offering any solutions. Especially when you are far removed from it yourself.
    And we're back to the original issue of this being a total non-argument.
    You're saying people shouldn't call a thing bad without offering alternatives. Which is absurd.
    And you're further implying credibility of the policy if only we lived there. Which is lightly but still defending the policy.

And that it's quite human to take a gamble on a destructive short-term solution over a maybe solution far in the future.
    "Quite human" describes 90% of the terrible things people have decided to do throughout history.

Since the Sinaloa cartel is operating in the Phillipines it's not impossible that they'd take some traditons with 'em.
    So yes, the Mexican cartels are so powerful that they have their fingers across the globe from their base in Mexico.
    A country that has not green-lighted vigilante killings.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Quick point, but the Philippines have been identified by the U.N. and a few other organizations as having the biggest drug problem in East Asia. It's not Mexico bad but it's a major destination for marijuana and crystal meth, as opposed to a producer or trafficking route.
    The Philippines is not in East Asia. But if one were to randomly place it there that would make for an unimpressive claim.
    Add it back into Southeast Asia where it's always categorized, and I'd be impressed to see it outdo the Golden Triangle.

Hidden:
    Well in the first place I'm not approaching this issue from an emotional understanding path, mostly because that's besides the point.
    Like at this point you're not even talking about whether Duterte is making good policy or bad policy. You're talking about understanding why he has support, which is an entirely different conversation.
    You seem to be under the impression that they're the same conversation.
    It's the only conversation i've been having.

So it seems that we've been having two seperate conversations.

And I'm of the opinion that the issues under discussion are significantly more martian to a Swede than an American.
    Fair enough. I can't claim to truly understand the experiences of neither an American, a Filipino or a Mexican so i'm obviously at a disadvantage.

It's something i might try to grasp and learn more about, but in the end i'd have to say that it's more or less theoretical to me.

Why are you quoting his words as a sober credible source? He's the Filipino Trump.
    Mostly applies because he has apparently been able to convince the voters who live there that this is the case.

The only source I'm finding for that is wikipedia (8.4 billion rounded up), and the cited source for that doesn't say it...and is actually an article about how the Sinaloa Cartel has been moving into the Philippines.
    Which illustrates how much worse Mexico is, since they're franchising in the Philippines as a side market lol.

And also the net worth of El Chapo alone.
    But your whole approach is about experiential credibility, so that does turn things into a dick measuring context.
    I suppose i could see it ending up as that betwenn a Filipino and a Mexican. Which would be quite a sad thing to dick measure.

But how it ended up as that betwenn a Swede and a New Yorker i'm wondering.

And we're back to the original issue of this being a total non-argument.
    You're saying people shouldn't call a thing bad without offering alternatives. Which is absurd.
    And you're further implying credibility of the policy if only we lived there. Which is lightly but still defending the policy.
    It's not implying as much as wondering out loud about it. Based on the crushing majority he got

And then wondering what the point of condemnation is if you don't adress the issue at root.

"Quite human" describes 90% of the terrible things people have decided to do throughout history.
    True enough.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

As someone who's lived in San Diego for most of my life, right on the border of Mexico, there are frequent first- and secondhand accounts of people being raped, assaulted, and kidnapped in Tijuana. At high schools they have yearly presentations on the dangers of visiting TJ, especially at night. These are just random civilians being affected and hurt by cartel activity and the lawlessness they've created.

Additionally, we see major busts each year of literal tons of marijuana and cocaine worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Numerous sophisticated drug tunnels have been found crossing the border. The San Diego-Tijuana border crossing is the busiest international border crossing in the world so dozens of small scale busts of drugs, arms, and human trafficking go relatively unreported each week. And even then we're shielded from the worst of the violent crime going on in Mexico.
    Interesting stuff. So when you read or hear about current events in Mexico, like not neccesarrily about bad stuff but just in general, do you feel like you've got a deepened understanding of their everyday lives based on how you guys and Mexico intersect on the border like that? I'm just curious if cultural understanding transfers through like that, or if you guys still feel disconnected from the neighbour. On our border with Norway i've noticed that it's still pretty sharply divided, which is kind of weird really

The El Paso/Juarez border is similar but I think the violence has dropped off somewhat in recent years. Nobody goes over there to party as much as they use to, that's for damn sure. What surprises me are the number of people that commute across every day for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    He went to Stanford too. And hey, he might just be a misogynist.

The Olympic Swim Team dropped him from any further consideration though.
    One would've assumed that he'd be harsher in that case.

Y'know to try to sweep some muck of his old alma maters name

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

One would've assumed that he'd be harsher in that case.

Y'know to try to sweep some muck of his old alma maters name
    Nope .
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Interesting stuff. So when you read or hear about current events in Mexico, like not neccesarrily about bad stuff but just in general, do you feel like you've got a deepened understanding of their everyday lives based on how you guys and Mexico intersect on the border like that? I'm just curious if cultural understanding transfers through like that, or if you guys still feel disconnected from the neighbour. On our border with Norway i've noticed that it's still pretty sharply divided, which is kind of weird really
    Not exactly. We'll hear about some things, but most news sources filter everything through an Americentric perspective. I get an equal or greater amount of Mexican news from social media, though there are also some Spanish news channels that are more focused on Mexico (but I'm not fluent in Spanish). That said, I've had several friends and coworkers who visit Mexico frequently because of their family there, and plenty of people commute north across the border each day for work, kind of like parts of the EU. That exchange has noticeable influences in the area, but there's also a pretty clear gradient of Latino culture and influence that decreases as you go farther north in San Diego. The government bonds between San Diego and Tijuana are also pretty strong and police officers and federal agents regularly work together from each country. The two cities have even proposed a joint hosting for the Summer Olympics but that got shot down pretty quickly.

In general, the southern parts of all four states that border Mexico all show a pretty strong cultural and are usually pretty welcoming, but there are some parts, especially in Arizona, that are hostile and xenophobic. If nothing else everyone appreciates the Mexican culinary influences.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information