+ Reply to Thread
Page 562 of 893 FirstFirst ... 62 462 512 552 560 561 562 563 564 572 612 662 ... LastLast
Results 11,221 to 11,240 of 17845

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Does Edrogen want a 100 million dollars too as part of his ultimatum?

www.rawstory.com/2016/08/anti-americanism-surges-in-turkey-after-failed-coup
    Based on opinion polls Turks have been pretty heavily damn anti-American in recent history just in general. Previously for no real reason I can think of (for it to be so intense). Now it's over that dumb Gulen bullshit I suppose. There's plenty of countries with every right to be heavily anti-American if they are so inclined, Turkey has never ever been one of those countries. Yet before and now alike here we are.
    I mean shit, Iranians have loads of friction and reasons to be pissed off at the US, yet I'm still pretty sure the average Iranian has a better view of the US than the average Turk. A country that has just sat around in the NATO country club eating kebab (and half an island) from a platter in terms of US relations.

On the plus side, with this and the recent Russian-Turkish thaw making our rival and their idol look really horrible, I should be pretty extra popular next time I'm in Cyprus.

Don't forget about their anger over America supporting the Kurds.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    The city of Manbij has been captured entirely from ISIS by the US backed forces.
    For those who may have missed it, Manbij is where they got that big haul of intelligence about ISIS a few weeks ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/wo...isis.html?_r=0
    Complicating things since 2009.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    The city of Manbij has been captured entirely from ISIS by the US backed forces.
    http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/u-s--bac...state/42369870
    Big, big victory here. It was one of the largest cities in Rojava still under ISIS control, which gives the SDF a major advantage towards the unification of their territories. This is definitely the most beautiful story to arise from the giant horrendous mess that is Syria and I wish all success to the SDF in establishing their autonomous region, as long as they keep following their principles of direct democracy, equality and human rights.

huh, usually I'm quite far away from any civil unrest - well not including the protests that converged on Madison a few years back.

I'm not in Milwaukee, but it IS in my state, and really not that far, about 1 & 1/2 hour drive (79 mi).

Bank, gas station set on fire after officer-involved shooting in Milwaukee
    IT seems when the cops pulled someone over in routine traffic stop, he had a gun, and officer had no choice but to shoot. Both involved were black. This was on Saturday, riots broke out.
    And its gotten to the degree gov. Walker debrief the prez on the violence and today activates the National Guard.

Governor activates National Guard in Milwaukee

This won't go over well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Police officer was black? Details still unclear on the shooting? Doesn't matter, the victim was black. RIOT ANYWAY!

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Police officer was black? Details still unclear on the shooting? Doesn't matter, the victim was black. RIOT ANYWAY!
    While part of me is inclined to agree with this the reaction isn't completely unjustified given the recurring issue of police officers nonchalantly killing blacks, This coming a little over two years after another controversial police shooting in the same city, The city's police chief being a bit of a lying unsympathetic douche whose idea that all the citizens arm themselves to protect themselves may have had a hand in the suspect/victim being shot, Along with the city apparently having......outdated issues doesn't exactly help
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Yeah I can see the underlying issues but it makes me very angry when people try to "solve things" by destroying other people's property especially now when it was highly unlikely that race played any factor at all in the shooting

Spoiler:

When I first was looking to move back in 2007, people and internet sites kept telling me that it wasn't diverse. That even Madison hat a problem of "being 75% white and others are in these small areas of poverty". When I moved to Madison, I moved to the south-side (and its not the best, central (downtown) and north-east are better) but I see diversity. I don't see a major grouping of one race over another, no segregation, in the south Madison. So I've sort of put those comments aside, forgotten about them.

I admit I didn't pay any attention to rest of the state until this happened. I knew Milwaukee had a bad rep, its bigger than Madison but higher crime rate. But I didn't think it was this bad.

I've gone to a site comparing Madison and Milwaukee ... its a bit a shock just how much they differ
    Madison : livability= 73, cost of living= C, Crime= D+ , ED. = C , Employment=C , Housing=C
    Milwaukee : livability=61, cost of living= A+, Crime= F , ED. = F, Employment=F Housing=D

Interesting of the difference in cost of living, I knew my city had a high cost of living but didn't realize its 8% higher than the state's average.
    Just for fun, another area Madison scores lower than Milwaukee is a bit of a surprise to me is the weather. I'd really thought that Milwaukee would be worse due to its being on the shore of Lake Michigan, you know - that lake affect. But Madison gets a D+, vs Milwaukee's C.

But damn.... Madison had only 7 reported incidents of murders vs Milwaukee's 90!
    and Rape (used as /100k people) = Ma -83 vs Mi=395

Well I wasn't too interested in visiting Milwaukee before but now I have absolutely none.

Aaaaaand in other news of racial discrimination, Arizona gets noticed again. This time its a city mayor that's angry due to a notice for US-Mexican border towns that was bi-lingual.... well actually he thought it was tri-lingual - English, Spanish and - I kid not- "Mexican".
    Talk about not even knowing anything about what you hate. That's like saying we in the US don't speak English, instead we speak "American" .... waitaminut ... just hush you Brits out there! I'll have you know American-English and British-English are different subject altogether from just saying English.

Arizonan rips 'Spanish-Mexican' mayor invitation

"I will NOT attend a function that is sent to me in Spanish/Mexican. One nation means one language and I am insulted by the division caused by language," Huachuca City Mayor Ken Taylor said in an email Wednesday to former El Paso Mayor John Cook, who is executive director of the U.S.-Mexico Border Mayors Association.

Kicker is.. the notice was for US towns AND Mexicain towns on the border so of course it was bi-lingual. The mayor and his town got taken of the member list. But he still sent replies ripping on "America First!" HE comes across as one of those anti-foreign polictians that doesn't want to deal with others

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

To counterbalance the wacko Mayor Taylor, that site also has a comment from another Arizona mayor, Rick Mueller of Sierra Vista(only 10 from Taylor's city of Huachuca City, has an open attitude and comments he regularly communicates with its sister town across the border.

Aaand back to Milwaukee.
    Things have calmed down , from everything I've read, seemed it was there was only one night of riot. They've confirmed some of the differences between this and other fatal shootings of black suspects that's lead to other riots =
    Suspect was confirmed to be armed.
    Officer that made the fatal shot was black.
    Its the Mayor that calls out for the video to be released.
    "The mayor would like Wisconsin state officials to release the video to the public in order to corroborate the police account. State law requires all police shootings to be investigated by an independent state agency, giving the state control over such evidence"

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Its the Mayor that calls out for the video to be released.
    "The mayor would like Wisconsin state officials to release the video to the public in order to corroborate the police account. State law requires all police shootings to be investigated by an independent state agency, giving the state control over such evidence"
    That's especially telling given when stuff like this happens it can take weeks or months for the footage to get out.

Of course Miuwaukee's police chief came up with reasons for why the riot happened in the first place
    http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/foxs...style-choices/

Miuwaukee's mayor and police chief are odd couple to be sure.

That's especially telling given when stuff like this happens it can take weeks or months for the footage to get out.

Of course Miuwaukee's police chief came up with reasons for why the riot happened in the first place
    http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/foxs...style-choices/

Miuwaukee's mayor and police chief are odd couple to be sure.
    It is indeed. I've lost the link but yesterday read Gov Walker had mobilized National Guard although Mayor didn't ask for it. At least the story I was readying said that. But now following that link you gave, I see it was the police chief that talked with Walker and requested the National Guard.

This gets me=
    "“I feel for these individuals,” he explained. “They might be unemployed but they’re good law-abiding people and they need help. But they’re not getting it from this Democrat [SIC] liberal class of politicians who have reigned over this thing for decades.”

Really? Blaming democrats? Really?! Last I looked our governor is a Republican and he's made things difficult here, attacking unions, bad job growth, tax breaks for the rich (and nope the trickle down doesn't happen!), lied about having a surplus, decimated BadgerCare (medical coverage which helps low income families with children), he's made major cuts to education and a lot more. Those are things he's done by 2012!!

Hell I googled "damage done by governor Scott Walker" and got a match from 2012 that had that as a title! That article has a point directly affecting Milwaulkee=

The loss of $810 million in federal investment weakens Milwaukee's economy: Walker made huge headlines when he rejected $810 million in federal money for high-speed rail and upgrades to the Hiawatha Amtrak line between Milwaukee and Chicago—a political move meant to repay his road-building donors for years of support.

Walker's rejection damaged train manufacturer Talgo's Milwaukee operations and will cause the company to leave the city. Sadly, Talgo is located in one of the city's hard-hit neighborhoods—an area that Walker now claims he wants to build up with loans and tax credits.

Walker's shortsighted rejection came back to haunt him when he had to go begging to the same federal officials he insulted because he still wanted the Hiawatha money. Not surprisingly, Walker's pleas were spurned. The state is now on the hook for more than $200 million for the local line's upgrades.

For more recent articles on Walker's reign of idioticy

In five short years, Walker has transformed a historically progressive state into a Southern-style "Wis-issippi"
    Gov. Walker leaves a wake of damage: Another view
    both from July 2015 (around time he tried to run for prez. -- *sigh* for a short time I envisioned him having to quit as Gov to run only failing at Prez canadicy so neither Wisconsin or the US would have to deal with him.. pity he's still gov.)

then there's this title=
    Plain Talk: Scott Walker's worst 100: Let us count the damage may 2016

So sorry, sheriff David Clarke, its the Rebulicans, not Dems, that's hurt Wisconsin.
    Last edited by Katzztar; August 16th, 2016 at 12:06 AM.

Jesus I knew Walker was a hack but seriously. He and every other Republican that got elected in 2010 need boot in their asses.

Wanna read something funny by Rudy Giuliani?
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...cks-in-8-years

Idiot.

Jesus I knew Walker was a hack but seriously. He and every other Republican that got elected in 2010 need boot in their asses.
    Yup, Madison made headlines a few years back due to the protests (we were mostly civil and no roits) against Walker and many protestors ended up occupying the capitol. There was a recall effort but it failed due to several reasons. One was bilionares from out of state funded Walker. People like the Koch Brothers

I considered posting this in the Olympics thread, but it's really not relevant or related to the Olympics at all.
    Why am I seeing this garbage everywhere? This man got groped by 3 creepy old perverts, and I don't hear anyone crying for him.

Hard to vouch for when the video was removed by the user

Was a video of the Tonga athlete getting oiled up and touched by female reporters, and I think Robo was being angry at some sort of double standard...?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information