+ Reply to Thread
Page 541 of 893 FirstFirst ... 41 441 491 531 539 540 541 542 543 551 591 641 ... LastLast
Results 10,801 to 10,820 of 17846

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

i don't think it's right to call any country a shithole. i think colombia is the last place on earth i'd want to visit, there's wars between the cartels and the army, drugs, kidnapping...etc do i have a right to call it a shithole? no. it feels like mocking a disabled person imo, because it had no choice in being this way (atleast the majority of it's people didn't).

Quote Originally Posted by Hanz View Post
    i don't think it's right to call any country a shithole. i think colombia is the last place on earth i'd want to visit, there's wars between the cartels and the army, drugs, kidnapping...etc do i have a right to call it a shithole? no. it feels like mocking a disabled person imo, because it had no choice in being this way (atleast the majority of it's people didn't).
    Its not the country itself or its culture being talked about. Its living standards, stability, infrastructure etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    http://www.nme.com/news/mumford-and-sons/94785 Not a good start for this summer
    Scary

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    It's the kind of viewpoint a person from a first world country could only hold, since compared to the vast majority of countries those three are pretty fine, and there's plenty of the population living essentially the same as anyone from a first world country.
    In a world where places like Afghanistan and DR Congo exist its super sheltered to really throw the word shithole at those three.
    They have major problems the like of which a first world country can't imagine (anymore) but still.
    I had always gotten an idea that Turkey and Brazil are pretty developed as well, myself. I get where he's coming from though, but I don't know, I think even living in a less developed country like mine is decent enough for plenty of people (not majority though).
    The differences come pretty noticeable when we change an environment or at least get to know other either more or less developed lifestyles, yes, I guess.
    But every post of that guy seemed pretty ignorant and that was noticeable even for me, who lacks knowledge in comparison to all of you.

To be fair, I mostly agree with banned guy about Brazil. Can't really say it's a shithole, but yeah, not the best place to live on.

Not the best place to live on ≠ shithole

We do have shitholes, but I would say most people in the country have mediocre to fine living standards.

Wow. That was a lot of bullshit from one person.

Hey guys, was it Veris who got banned. Just got home and wanna dive into the debates 😒

That member had a cartoonish view of the world, lol..thinking that all the riot that is happening in Brazil is due to soccer. Brazil has problems, but it is not a shit hole.No respect, at all.
    Last edited by C_uggs; July 5th, 2016 at 01:36 PM.
    When AP used to be good:

NEVER FORGET !!

Quote Originally Posted by Angelos17 View Post
    Wow. That was a lot of bullshit from one person.Hey guys, was it Veris who got banned. Just got home and wanna dive into the debates 
    Veris was another iteration of Earthquake, who is consistently banned for his poor, offensive posts. He was doing okay for a while but that ended yesterday, it seems.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ugly View Post
    That member had a cartoonish version of the world, lol..thinking that all the riot that is happening in Brazil is due to soccer. Brazil has problems, but it is not a shit hole.

No respect, at all.
    You know, I was about to PM you to ask if u had seen what was going on here since Brazil was mentioned

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    Veris was another iteration of Earthquake, who is consistently banned for his poor, offensive posts. He was doing okay for a while but that ended yesterday, it seems.
    Yeah, he had been ok for some weeks now. I guess you can't hid character for long huh

I've done my fair share of travelling and working in 1st to 3rd world countries and as we all may suspect, there are shitholes & similitudes of it in every country.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelos17 View Post
    You know, I was about to PM you to ask if u had seen what was going on here since Brazil was mentioned
    Yeah, I was aware of this little defamatory demonstration. Thanks for thinking about me ;)

What that member pointed was just the point of the iceberg of our problems, it showed how little he/she knows about others countries. Soccer is the least of our problems, and with the loss to Germany, I guess Brazil will focus on more important problems.
    When AP used to be good:

NEVER FORGET !!

DRC as a nation needs to be split up to be honest, instability since the Congo crisis.
    Too many ethnic clashes (Africa is the most diverse place on earth).

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LegendarySSJ4 View Post
    DRC as a nation needs to be split up to be honest, instability since the Congo crisis. Too many ethnic clashes (Africa is the most diverse place on earth).
    Is this in relation to something specific? I haven't seen the DRC come up in any news.Most of Africa's political borders were drawn by Europeans with little regard for culture or history. The DRC isn't the only country that could do with more appropriate borders.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Is this in relation to something specific? I haven't seen the DRC come up in any news.Most of Africa's political borders were drawn by Europeans with little regard for culture or history. The DRC isn't the only country that could do with more appropriate borders.
    DRC's main geographical problem is the vast distances between things paired with how incredibly horrible even the infrastructure is to begin with. The really really bad areas are in the far east, while the capital is in the far west. Issues of lawlessness and lacking central authority become all the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendarySSJ4 View Post
    DRC as a nation needs to be split up to be honest, instability since the Congo crisis.
    Too many ethnic clashes (Africa is the most diverse place on earth).
    A lot of that diversity is down to a historic lack of strong centralizing states that would have homogenized things more as happened in Europe.

The mods seem to be a bit too trigger happy with the ban as far as I see. The point of a forum is so that people with vastly different world views can get together. Isn't that the difference of a homogenous society and multucltural one. Some forums have a tendency to perform like the former, rather than the latter because anyone with a dissenting opinion is shunned. There is no reason to ban someone who doesn't agree with you. Granted there are some people are probably trolls and deserve to get banned, or constnatly flame.

With that said, if someone said my country is a shithole. I would agree with them. Because it actually kind of is, and I can definitely see that being true from someone who is from a first world country, they would see a place like Brazil or Mexico less than sub-par of a place to be compared to where they are from. If someone said michigan is kind of an awful place, would that be wrong? I suppose it's all subjective and where people would prefer to live, which is why I see no wrong in someone expressing places they dislike/like. Freedom of speech doesn't seem to apply on the internet forums I see.
    ---------------------------------
    on topic http://www.vox.com/2016/6/20/1198242...orm-impossible

I see lots of people from Europe talk about how we should make laws in the US when they've never even stepped foot from here. Like easy for someone from Ireland in a homogeneous society where mostly everyone agrees with you. Your country has little to no cultural inertia, and noone living in it to disagree with you. It's easy to be relaxed when you're insulated from anyone with legitimately world shaking different views. "Hate speech" constitutes things like saying "fuck ISIS" for which a man was just arrested for in the UK. Hate speech laws have also bred a very sinister type of racist ONLY found in Europe. People talk about the KKK or neo-nazis here, but they have nothing on the legitimate political parties these factions have in Europe.

Why should anyone care about what you think of US culture and history?

There's no reason to ban someone who doesn't agree with you, but on the other hand there is reason to ban someone for direct discrimination against cultures and religions.Also straight up repeat accounts literally less than a day after the previous ban. We let you off last time on relatively good behavior, but come on, man.

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by togaffasiybor View Post
    The mods seem to be a bit too trigger happy with the ban as far as I see. The point of a forum is so that people with vastly different world views can get together. Isn't that the difference of a homogenous society and multucltural one. Some forums have a tendency to perform like the former, rather than the latter because anyone with a dissenting opinion is shunned. There is no reason to ban someone who doesn't agree with you. Granted there are some people are probably trolls and deserve to get banned, or constnatly flame.
    The mods didn't pull the trigger until Veris insulted an entire religion and belittled a country's culture in the same post. His posts had strayed from genuine discussion over history and societal conditions to borderline hate speech. That's not tolerated here. There's definitely an aspect of groupthink in some popular threads and sometimes people will gang up on a naive or differently-minded poster, but in this case, as in most instances of banning, the action was appropriately used to eliminate a toxic dialogue.
    Last edited by Jabberwok; July 5th, 2016 at 10:51 PM.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

We don't just ban people because we disagree with them or dislike them or think they're idiots or because they constantly make awful manga theories. We let a loooot of people stick around that fall into those criteria.

You have to be actively nasty or problematic to warrant it.

And coming back not even a day after your ban without even an ounce of apology or toning down and jumping right back into the same topics? Not a good approach.

But it is kind of funny how often banees think its because of difference in opinion, and not attitude. Or that its just a mod hating on them specifically and holding a grudge on them for some random reason. When really we dealt with too many people and done it too long for it to be personal. Usually we don't even remember a person who was banned unless they come back up for some reason to remind us.

Same with thread bans. Politics in particular gets nasty. You can love Trump and hate Hillary, or vice versa, and that's fine. Just don't be obnoxious about it and have actual discussion, and listen to facts when they're presented.... rather than shouting matches about "don't you know they're the devil?!? You idiot sheeple!"

It ain't personal, we banned quite a few people yesterday and did some cleanup. And it generally probably isn't what you're saying... but how you're saying it. But outright bigotry or racism or homophobia, or just having a really terrible attitude, etc, generally aren't going to be tolerated, no matter how its being phrased.

Free speech allows you to say whatever you want without going to jail. It doesn't protect you from having other people from reprimanding you for it, however. Be that suing for slander , firing from a workplace, or being kicked off a messageboard.
    Last edited by Robby; July 5th, 2016 at 10:19 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Even more amusing is how he thought he wouldn't be banned for his not-so-subtle username.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    Even more amusing is how he thought he wouldn't be banned for his not-so-subtle username.
    Lol, I didn't even notice that.

I'm also not even the one that spotted him for banning or pointed out that he was an alt.

LOL, now it's just funny. I'm actually quite amused.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Terrorist attack in Bagdad (Sunday 3rd), 250 victims.
    Yet another tragedy strikes the world.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information