+ Reply to Thread
Page 518 of 893 FirstFirst ... 18 418 468 508 516 517 518 519 520 528 568 618 ... LastLast
Results 10,341 to 10,360 of 17857

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

The one thing I'm curious about though is how the US' "right to own guns" in your legislature pushes the masses to acquire guns. Like, guns aren't illegal here, there's just proper channels you have to go through to get them. But ask the average person if they feel the need to have a gun and they'll say no, unless they're living in a dangerous neighbourhood or they're farming.

So is it that guns are part of American culture? I mean, there are so many guns that I come across random news articles and posts of babies shooting guns and people shooting backyard pests, like that's such an alien concept to me. I've lived in rough neighbourhoods before and even then I never once thought that I should acquire a gun.
    Hidden:

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

After Grimmie and Orlando I didn't think the top news of the day would be about garlic bread. Definitely the lighthearted stuff we need right now, ans I soon discovered my life was incomplete without Garlic Bread Memes.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    The one thing I'm curious about though is how the US' "right to own guns" in your legislature pushes the masses to acquire guns.
    It's not the right (which many a person has misconstrued) that's driving people to acquire guns it's legit fear
    and the need of protection for some. A bullshit desire to buy weapons that aren't needed, to use them for
    hypothetical situations that'll never take place. And in fear of something that'll never happen and even if it did
    is in no way shape or form as bad as they think or have been told for a good majority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Something that I don't think get discussed enough whenever gun arguments come up is suicide rates and how the correlate to gun ownership. If you're having a bad day, it's a lot harder to kill yourself if you don't have a gun. I feel like, in regards to mass shootings, suicide should also be discussed a lot more because these gunmen probably wanted to die, or at least didn't care about their own health. Homicide rates and gun ownership is definitely worth talking about but I just feel like there's different reasons compared that mass shootings and someone getting shot during a robbery.

I think there should be more mental health support for people who are angry and/or suicidal, like it's should be way more visible on billboard ads or on radio ads that there are people who can help and that there's other ways to deal with numbness and frustration.

I don't know if anything would be done about guns but I fell like this would be a way to do SOMETHING. To maybe save a few lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    It's not the right (which many a person has misconstrued) that's driving people to acquire guns it's legit fear
    and the need of protection for some.
    A bullshit desire to buy weapons that aren't needed, to use them for
    hypothetical situations that'll never take place. And in fear of something that'll never happen and even if it did
    is in no way shape or form as bad as they think or have been told for a good majority.
    That's very interesting. Then is it accurate to say that theres a high level of chronic fear of.. well, danger, across the nation? Basically a intensely high sense of paranoia?

Excluding people who live in high-crime neighbourhoods, what would you say normal every day people are afraid of so much so that they feel the need to arm themselves?

I find this topic fascinating because of its distinctive contrast to Canada, when we're literally connected countries. If people are afraid of home invasions here, they subscribe to a home security network. If someone said that one day they'll register themselves to get a gun for security, they'd be honestly laughed at.
    Hidden:

We didn't pray for drunk driving fatalities to resolve themselves. We passed sweeping laws and accidents dropped by a lot.

That's very interesting. Then is it accurate to say that theres a high level of chronic fear of.. well, danger, across the nation? Basically a intensely high sense of paranoia?
    It's a sense of fear stoked by interested parties that stand to benefit from it monetarily or politically. It's not really organic. Same as the fears of transgenders in bathrooms that didn't exist six month ago, or the highly uneducated crap about abortions or people that actually think still having a confederate flag is cool and not at all racist.

And our second amendment doesn't really guarantee the right to guns... it guarantees a well armed militia, drafted in a time and context where we had just broken away from the Europe two hundred years ago.... it's as outdated as blacks only being worth 3/5 a vote or women not at all. it's just distorted by gun lobbies constantly. A more liberal supreme court can probably pull that back some. Last time it went up Scalia gave the gun loving interpretation, but he's gone now, so....
    Last edited by Robby; June 13th, 2016 at 01:52 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Oh pretty much.

Excluding people who live in high-crime neighbourhoods, what would you say normal every day people are afraid of so much so that they feel the need to arm themselves?
    Terrorism (though not the variant committed by US citizens) and the government taking away certain rights.
    Incidentally many of these people aren't what you would call normal.

I find this topic fascinating because of its distinctive contrast to Canada, when we're literally connected countries. If people are afraid of home invasions here, they subscribe to a home security network. If someone said that one day they'll register themselves to get a gun for security, they'd be honestly laughed at.
    Canadians just seem like better adjusted and more rational thinking people when it comes to certain things.
    Which of course you can't say about us given how many aspects in our society is so ass backwards.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

And for the second day in a row.

Fuck you, Donald Trump. Fuck you.
    Last edited by Robby; June 13th, 2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: No longer apologizing for the french.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Now Trump is trying to discredit the washington post for being "bias" against him.

Shit on the first amendment for the right of the second I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Terrorism (though not the variant committed by US citizens) and the government taking away certain rights.
    Incidentally many of these people aren't what you would call normal.
    If people arm themselves on the reasoning to protect against terrorist attacks then isn't it not a leap to realize that if the availability of legally purchased guns were removed from society, then the instances of mass shootings would decrease?

It's just feeding the neverending cycle of violence.

Citizens obtain guns easily > An atrocity occurs > More people arm themselves > Attackers also obtain guns easily > An atrocity occurs .. Etc.

Saying that "decreasing gun availability won't decrease the frequency of shootings" simply isn't true. Canada is RIGHT above the states and we never have mass shootings from people who acquire guns legally.
    How many shootings in the states have happened because someone went to Walmart and got a couple guns and boxes of ammo?

What a frustrating situation.
    Hidden:

I like how the same people take the position that the War on Drugs is a perfectly worthwhile endeavor, regardless of the drug involved, while the idea of placing restrictions on gun ownership is somehow a fanciful notion. That's to the extent that government agencies aren't even allowed to study the effects of gun control in other countries to see if it'd work here, let alone pass rules in support of it.
    Complicating things since 2009.

If people arm themselves on the reasoning to protect against terrorist attacks then isn't it not a leap to realize that if the availability of legally purchased guns were removed from society, then the instances of mass shootings would decrease?
    It would also help if we did things like actually limit the type of weapons people can own particularly at the state level (and not just focus on people with criminal records but even those without), Followed Taboo's suggestion of pushing for more mental health and personal crisis solutions. And somehow our society became even less selfish and assholish then we currently are.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; June 13th, 2016 at 03:32 PM.

I've never had anyone give me a legitimate answer to this question I've always posed to those supporting the "good guy with a gun will stop bad guy with a gun, hence gun free zones are bad".

So lets say "responsible gun owner" number 1 sees a shooting going on at a college. He pulls out his gun to shoot the criminal but misses and kills an innocent person. Or a second "responsible gun owner" sees RGO number 1 and thinks that he is the original shooter and kills him. In a situation like a gas station being robbed at gun point, the person has a gun under the counter for defense I can see. But to say that any of these mass shootings would be stopped by any ordinary Joe with no federal system to say he is trained in gun safety and marksmanship is ludicrous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    ISIS just makes me laugh. They see a random nutjob who happens to be muslim who killed random people in a random western country and go "Yeah, that was us, fear us". Whatever you say, guys...
    The guy pledged loyalty to ISIS.
    They almost definitely weren't physically involved or aware of this dude, but they have a sophisticated internet propaganda department that hopes to inspire random people all over the world just like this.

A Dutch women is to deported from Qatar on grounds of fornication. She alleged that she was raped.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/qatar-dutch-woman-alleged-rape-guilty-adultery-160613073219724.html

S

The other person (A Syrian) will also be deported.

Court documents reveal new details in Stanford rape

Most interesting is these documents that show Turner isn't some na´ve kid that got swept away in the party culture. He has some history that shows that this rape is not likely a one time thing and shouldn't be considered 'not a threat' and shows a pattern of behavior.

I find this topic fascinating because of its distinctive contrast to Canada, when we're literally connected countries.
    It would be interesting to contrast by border area.
    http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/559451a2ecad0464750b3d6c-1200-970/gun-ownership-study-state-map.png

Like being from Ontario it might make your head hurt less to see the states nearby are on the lesser end of American levels.
    But my real curiosity is what the Canadian prairie states are like compared to the American same.
    But really the difference comes down to guns falling into a sort of central place in cultural wars in the US. They've become a symbol of a sort of conservative lifestyle and even libertarian causes. So the emotional connection to them is amped up heavily.
    Its not just political, its politically tribal.
    And of course the whole retarded militia fetish garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Md-Martin View Post
    I've never had anyone give me a legitimate answer to this question I've always posed to those supporting the "good guy with a gun will stop bad guy
    I really think "Guns' Rights" Advocates ought to press the issue of the GOP banning guns from the RNC in Cleveland. It's all well and good for Democrats to do that but Republicans?
    Complicating things since 2009.

I really think "Guns' Rights" Advocates ought to press the issue of the GOP banning guns from the RNC in Cleveland. It's all well and good for Democrats to do that but Republicans?
    There will be no Brown People at the RNC for Good Hardworking Real AmericansTM to defend themselves from, that's why.

The Ugly never die loneassassin's Avatar
    A solid gold house with a rocket car in front

So the Orlando shooter was said to be a frequent visitor to Pulse over the past three years and supposedly had multiple accounts on gay dating sites and apps.

If true the guy would rather die as a supposed radical Islamist than as a gay man.

If you are gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk
    RIP Eli Wallach

3DS Friend Code: 3454-0518-6166

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information