+ Reply to Thread
Page 465 of 893 FirstFirst ... 365 415 455 463 464 465 466 467 475 515 565 ... LastLast
Results 9,281 to 9,300 of 17857

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    .. Iran..
    Can you recommend any good books or articles on the history and modern culture of Iran?

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Hair View Post
    Hmm, does this has something to do with the deal the US made with Iran somewhat recently, if I remember correctly telling them to put a lid on the nuclear experiments? I don't remember the details exactly but I do know that the US/Allies were eventually successful in getting in getting Iran to give it up to stop sanctions? My memory of this is a bit blurry though, I just can't believe Iran would be like "Screw it, lets just stop" because we told them to. But I digress.

What does make me shit my pants is how far along North Korea has become. I was kind of being imaginative earlier, but these nuts might just be crazy enough to sell of some warheads to ISIS and the like possibly. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Nuff said.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorkov View Post
    Can you recommend any good books or articles on the history and modern culture of Iran?
    I had a decent book from a library once, but I forgot the name. I'll try and remember it.

Countless articles have informed me on that matter.

Then there's also always the autobiography joy of Persepolis as a side dish.

outside of putin and the likes. I think israel has the right amount of batshit crazy people into power to start something really serious like a world war. even though we live in a world that's largely stalemate.

Some guy with a bomb strapped to his body just hijacked a Egyptian plane and forced the pilot to land in Cyprus. He then let all the people go except 4 foreigners and the crew. Hostage negotiations are still ongoing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/egyptair-...062554394.html
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Some guy with a bomb strapped to his body just hijacked a Egyptian plane and forced the pilot to land in Cyprus. He then let all the people go except 4 foreigners and the crew. Hostage negotiations are still ongoing.

WTF, he hijacked the plane to get in touch with his ex-wife?

Looks like the fbi finally made enough copies of the guys phone to get his password correct lol. https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/bu...t-apples-help/

Quote Originally Posted by Earthquake View Post
    outside of putin and the likes. I think israel has the right amount of batshit crazy people into power to start something really serious like a world war. even though we live in a world that's largely stalemate.
    I don't see what you're talking about. No one in Israel's leadership is batshit. You're pulling a reverse Iran here.
    Netanyahu is fairly predictable. He's a right wing fuckhead who knows exactly how to dogwhistle, exagerrate, and appeal to America's and Israel's worst natures to get backing and support for his policies. Which are bad but typical and definitely not world war starting.

The countries I'm worried about in the Middeast aren't Israel or Iran. It's Turkey and Saudi Arabia.
    The latter because if their economy collapses over oil prices the potential instability would be horrifying.
    The former because even if it's (currently) more democratic than Iran's government by a ton, Turkey's political system is looking insanely unstable right now. I think Erdogan is trying to be Putin, but he doesn't possess Putin's icy calculations. He instead comes off impulsive, a bit dumb, incompetent and as such...unpredictable. Of course the effect that might have on my family-in-law is part of my concern. But Turkey tailspinning socially, politically, and inevitably economically down koo-koo lane would be very bad in general. That it's virtually from one man is the most frustrating part, granted the cracks are forming where they've always been in Turkish society and state.
    You know how I said Iran lacks strongman politics? Welp, Turkey has them.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by SmokerSan View Post
    As a fellow haver of a Cypriot wife, I understand this man~

well, "the heart has its reasons that the reason ignores" and I wish you'll never have to hijack anything for your beloved.

people here saying about iran selling nuke to terrorists made me
    not as much as that rule usa parliament created about visa after needed after every traveling to iran
    and not saudiarabia

Quote Originally Posted by firelord111 View Post
    not as much as that rule usa parliament created about visa after needed after every traveling to iran
    and not saudiarabia
    I didn't know what this was so I looked it up.
    It's (if this is what you heard about) a roll back on easy travel for dual nationals from several countries, even if they're also nations of the countries that don't need a Visa to visit (most of Europe, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Chile and Canada).
    For example: A person with just British citizenship can freely hop on a plane and come to the US. They need a passport of course but otherwise that's it. Now with the new rule? Someone who has both British and Iranian citizenship can't just freely visit the US. They have to obtain a Visa from an American embassy/consulate.

On the surface really that's not that serious or bad. The vast majority of the world needs a Visa to visit the US. My wife included when she first came to visit me (before the marriage obviously lol) as Cyprus isn't one of the countries with a waiver on the Visa. The Visa waiver program is basically a thing we give countries that we I think consider well enough run, with secure enough border control, and with no real complications that we feel comfortable.
    And as a policy this is extremely similar to most countries like the US. More or less the same standards apply for France, the UK, Canada, and Japan. And that's just what I checked. And most of the same countries have the privilege of Visa free travel. (though Canada allows Cyprus free entry wtf US lol)
    My wife having gone through the Visa process can tell you that while she felt pissed that Cyprus got left out of what most of the EU enjoys? That all and all it wasn't really a tough process. You plan to go to the embassy, you bring your documents and whatnot, interview briefly with an embassy employee at their little window booths (embassy appointment areas a bit like banks I guess you could say). And really it's a basic formality that just checks you over a bit and confirms you're a normal person or whatever. It's not some hard to pass test that people tend to fail. It's just a bit of bureaucratic process you walk through.

HOWEVER....the issue with the new law? Well I see two of them here as pointed out by Iranian-Americans and also what we're talking about here.
    1. Visa rules like this usually come with the expectation that countries who have certain restrictions imposed on them will make a tit for tat response of sorts. In other words Iran might make it a lot harder for American to come or somesuch. And that will probably include Iranian-Americans who hold dual citizenship, and they seem to be the main people angry about the new rules. Returning to their own country should be easy normally, but because of this move might not be? It might also result in the EU doing the same. So basically Iranian-American duel citizens could have a lot more trouble traveling.

2. It doesn't make any sense lol. The bill was passed as a measure to watch for people hypothetically like the Paris attackers I suppose. European citizens who have dangerous ties to warzones like Syria and Iraq. Sudan was also included...which uh...I don't get? But Sudan is certainly a poorly run enough place that I can kinda get it. Iran...wtf indeed. Iranians have nothing to do with any of this, and the country isn't poorly run enough to warrant that level of concern. So yeah I'd say it smells like the same misunderstanding of Iran as some nutty Islamic North Korea.

As for Saudi Arabia. I wonder how many more Saudi nationals have to ram planes into skyscrapers for us to possibly maybe consider Iranian citizens not the issue.

isnt it` after every visit to iran you have to get visa` ?

I still have to pay for my ESTA when I go to America next month. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post

LMAO, this is more being an idiot that being a "terrorist" lol. Too bad he'll be getting charged like a full fledged one!! (Granted he did take over a plane...)

isnt it` after every visit to iran you have to get visa` ?
    I did a little more reading and yeah actually you're right. That's part of it too. Completely ridiculous. That is completely aimed at catching ISIS radicalized types like the Paris/Brussels bombers.... which to extend to Iran is completely absurd. And very disruptive to lots and lots of people.

But also looking more....it's not fully passed yet. Our parliament (we call it Congress) is "bicameral" which means it has two parts of it. We have a "House of Representatives" and a Senate.
    The House of Representatives is based on the population of the US, with those congress people representing population based districts. The senate is a system based around the federation idea we have, so each state has two senators it sends to that part of the parliament.
    SO point is the bill only passed the House of Representatives, but not the Senate yet. The Senate is still looking at it.

Having said that though...the bill seems to have passed heavily in the House... even among democrats of farther left persuasion. Looking at the bill Iran isn't actually named though? It lists "state sponsors of terrorism" which ends up including Iran and Sudan yeah. Considering Iran has been funding militias and stuff (Hezbollah, Houthis) that's not entirely random...but unfair yeah lol. The Saudis are giving money to Syrian rebels, and uh so are we. Which is essentially the same as supporting the Houthis and kinda Hezbollah.

I think it all comes down to Hezbollah. The US has them designated as a terrorist group, Iran supports them. So they end up on that list.
    Of course we're kinda sorta helping the PKK right now who we also consider a terrorist group...uh...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    I still have to pay for my ESTA when I go to America next month. :(
    I guess only Canadians can travel here completely free of hassle lol.

Zep, the bill was passed back in December. It got thrown in with our year-end spending bill.

https://homeland.house.gov/visa-waiver-program/

lol i forgot to say anything about isis placing bombs in toys then selleng it to iranians in previous year ashura in iraq
    but iran government found out in time so no one died

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Hair View Post
    LMAO, this is more being an idiot that being a "terrorist" lol. Too bad he'll be getting charged like a full fledged one!! (Granted he did take over a plane...)
    All's well that ends well.

Well, except for this guy. Screw this guy, but actually in fact this is the best possible result for this guy too coming out of this situation. He lucky he wasn't shot when he tried to run.
    Everything's Eventual...

See you in another life! Mugiwara_no_Ice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    I think he means that authorities are to afraid to regain control of the town in any kind of way. It's basically a lawless land.
    Wow I remembered you much more smarter than that, Kaiolino.
    I have family living in Molenbeek.

Come I'll show you around and than judge, before believing every sensational docu fiction about the town.

Well it's no short term solution, but Belgium needs to advance it's cultural assimilation/inclusion/fusion game basically.
    That immigrant ghettoes of such severity are forming is a symptom of a broken system in that regard. But as to how that gets done? Well I'm not so sure.
    It would be great to have a Belgian muslim on here (we used to! where'd he go?) to see their thoughts.
    Some of that change naturally has to happened in those communities, but the same outside uh..."majority" culture has to play a role. And their role has greater impact anyway.
    But yeah I keep coming back to that "majority" issue with Belgium. That I think for you guys it's harder than other countries because you have no majority culture, but two almost even halves.
    This is a curse to helping this issue...but I dunno maybe a curse that could be made blessing if worked at right.

My understanding is Brussels is kind of a void city. That instead of a mixed salad at the center, it's kind of a blank slate that people do business in and go home and it doesn't really become this happening cultural mish mash hub like primary cities tend to? Does that sound at all accurate (this is an impression other Belgians have given me btw).
    If that sounds at all right, even just developing Brussels into a sort of salad toss of it's own could help break down the ghettos on a cultural level.

But really everything comes down to the need for an ability of those inside to leave
    Hey (speak of the wolf and you'll see its tail) :)
    I don't think we can talk of ghettos when talking about the Moroccan/Turkish neighbourhoods in Brussels.
    Sometimes you have in one and the same street (lane) in the beginning a bad low class neighbourhood and at the end of it a higher class better neighbourhood.
    It's a little different than in France for example where you have real concentrations in complete blocks. That doesn't exist in Brussels.

I can assure you , the police can go everywhere they want, it's not like in the 80s when gangs made the law in some restricted areas.

As for integration yeah it's like you said here below, Belgium didn't and doesn't have a strong patriotic heritage even among the non immigrants.
    The only things Belgian are french fries , chocolate and the national soccer team (when they win)

I, for instance, define myself more as a Flandrian as I grew up in Flanders, also a little bit from Brussel as I spend a great deal of my life in the city and I love the city. Most Belgians from immigrant descent have a clear association with their city more than with the country. The one an Antwerpenaer , the other Brusseleer, etc..

Brussel is already in the mind of the Brusseleer a strong entity and can become in the future an independent city-region if there's a political will to do so but because historically Brussels has been a frenchizied Flandrian City, The flandrian politicians doesn't want to let it go.

As for the religious problem, there is a big problem of radicalisation not only in Brussels but in the whole world.
    It's something that baffles me and I don't fully understand, the speed at which petty criminals change into radicalised islamists-terrorists.

I spoke earlier how I feel I'm a Flandrian first before being a Moroccan or anything else, funny enough it's thanks to a teacher I had in a mosque I used to go to when I was a kid , to learn Arabic.
    He told us that we shouldn't forget which land made us who we were and we were fruits of that land and that has always been how I saw things.
    I'm the fruit of the land that helped me grow, no matter where my parents came from. So that helped us to not live a schizophrenic life but to be consistent with who we were. And I assume that these terrorists didn't have the luck I had and lived a life where they hated their country, their fellow man and I suspect even themselves.

Where am I going with all this...
    Oh ok. So compared to Belgium.
    Well the Arab (they're mostly Arab I think right?) Muslim groups in your ghettoes. The alienation is the issue, and that issue is much much more severe. Blacks and Hispanics in America don't feel outside the American sphere. They're Americans, Americans not being treated fairly, but Americans.
    What's at issue is these immigrants come to Belgium...and do they at any point feel Belgian? What does it mean to be Belgian? Unlike other European countries this question isn't an ethnic one...do Belgians even know the answer?
    A French person can talk about being French as having to do with the French culture and language and people with all their history.
    An American person can talk about being American as having to do with certain ideas and values and the people as collecting over the years under that concept.
    For a Belgian what is the answer? And if it's hard for you guys to answer...how extra tough it must be to figure out how to make these ghettoes feel apart of anything. They have the citizenship, but what else do they have?

The religious difference, I don't want to overemphasize too much. But it's undeniable as a factor. There will be more friction the more different such religious identities are. Latinos in America have one shard of luck going for them and that's that the whole "Catholic" thing is no longer exotic in the US. It used to be a ig deal when Catholic immigrants came over, but waves of such people (Italians, Irish, some Germans, Poles etc) already fought and won those battles. We even had a Catholic president, and potentially lots more that no one cared about anymore.
    But clearly a largely secular Catholic country like Belgium taking in still very religious Sunni Muslims from the already extra conservative Arab countries? Culture clash and extra alienation. This is tough.

The loose identity of Western Hemisphere countries is our strength on this matter. Belgium instead has a ...blank identity? [/COLOR][/INDENT][/COLOR]
    Seeking infinity, with all my affinities.
    Finding truth, like a falling fruit, my ultimate finality.
    Inside my being, the outside, all things; the finite leads the way.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokerSan View Post
    When Cypriot women decide to put you on their ignore list, nothing sort of hijacking a plane will pull their attention back to you.

What was that love?

lol i forgot to say anything about isis placing bombs in toys then selleng it to iranians in previous year ashura in iraq
    but iran government found out in time so no one died
    Sick assholes .
    My 3DS Friend Code: 1091 - 8457 - 8212

~Goronyanya~

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information