+ Reply to Thread
Page 463 of 893 FirstFirst ... 363 413 453 461 462 463 464 465 473 513 563 ... LastLast
Results 9,241 to 9,260 of 17857

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/nc-lawmak...083041538.html

Surprised no one brought this up. Just absolutely crazy
    Well, since they got what they wanted here they go.
    Hidden:
    Passing ignorant and naive laws like that would legally force this man to use the women's restroom because he was "biologically born female". It would be illegal for him to use the men's public restroom because according to the law this transgender man is super secretly a woman in disguise. Can't let her in a men's bathroom because she's secretly their to prey on little boys and look at other men's junk.
    Everything's Eventual...

The funniest thing to me is people who think a fucking gender sign would be the safety line in question (if such people existed/creepy enough to want to assault someone in a male bathroom). And I had hopes for NC as a cool place to be :/

It's nice how much progress we make on internation laws against some country nobody cares about. Would be cool to see that sort of thing against Israel's leader! Oh wait, USA would probably veto anything to do with that.

nvm carry on. I don't give a shit about the bosnian leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthquake View Post
    It's nice how much progress we make on internation laws against some country nobody cares about. Would be cool to see that sort of thing against Israel's leader! Oh wait, USA would probably veto anything to do with that.

So you are pretty much making an effort to be a terrible person huh.

Http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...7d1_story.html

Pretty nice gesture from the Pope. And apparently, he has broken a bunch of "rules" in doing so too

Lol did they just randomly throw in a Hindu just for showing cultural diversity?! Pretty sure he didn't escape to Europe running away from the Middle East even if he was a migrant
    Last edited by xan; March 25th, 2016 at 03:05 AM.
    “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Quote Originally Posted by xan View Post

Pretty nice gesture from the Pope. And apparently, he has broken a bunch of "rules" in doing so too

Lol did they just randomly throw in a Hindu just for showing cultural diversity?! Pretty sure he didn't escape to Europe running away from the Middle East even if he was a migrant
    There are hindu refugees from pakistan most likely. + there are some hindu refugees from afghanistan as well (they are becoming fewer and fewer though)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    So you are pretty much making an effort to be a terrible person huh.
    I am not surprised by what he posts since he did name himself after a natural disaster that causes a lot of damage around the world since he likes earthquakes so much that he made it his forum name of course that is not enough to do anything since the name is not against the rules since we cannot prove he used the name because he likes the damage earthquakes do to peoples homes and lives.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Hair View Post
    Somebody needs to do something about there ISIS fools because they act like they can just kill innocent people and get away with it time and time again. It's like every other month (seemingly) there's a major or minor attack orchestrated by them. I'm so sick of people losing lives over hate and different beliefs. Almost want to cry sometimes. My condolences to all affected. What do you guys think will/should be done about ISIS's recent attack?
    The ISIS leaders and most of their members came from other bad groups if you destroy ISIS they will just rename themselves again so they will still be doing it just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    So the FBI didn't need Apple at all in the end. Who would have thought?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35863861
    They just kept making copies of the phone until they get the password correct lol.
    Last edited by sanji''s_dad; March 25th, 2016 at 07:03 AM.

My country's main religion is Islam (even though we are very multiracial and multicultural) so I do have a bunch of Muslim friends. They all think that ISIS is just using a stupid excuse (aka RELIGION!) to do inhuman things. To tell the truth almost every religion says rather nasty things about non-believers (no offense). Most Quran stuff tells them to kill in the form of self defense and on the battlefield.

Islam is actually a good and beautiful religion (even though I am not a Muslim), its sickening to see it being twisted like that.
    All above are just my personal opinions.
    Last edited by le crystal; March 25th, 2016 at 06:12 AM. Reason: it was a reply about the isis discussion btw

↑Biological Weaopn of Doom and Destruction

Quote Originally Posted by hreinnbeno View Post
    There are hindu refugees from pakistan most likely. + there are some hindu refugees from afghanistan as well (they are becoming fewer and fewer though)
    Probably, but they usually proceed to go to India which is a bit easier than travelling all the way to Europe. Also, no minority bias or religious discrimination (if any)

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Hidden:
    Passing ignorant and naive laws like that would legally force this man to use the women's restroom because he was "biologically born female". It would be illegal for him to use the men's public restroom because according to the law this transgender man is super secretly a woman in disguise. Can't let her in a men's bathroom because she's secretly their to prey on little boys and look at other men's junk.
    "occupotty" - that's kinda clever.

I mean, the bathroom is supposed to be a place of comfort, to do things like wash your face, powder your nose, etc. You identify as X, one should be allowed to use [X]. There shouldn't be any forcing when it comes to stuff like this. D:

He wasn't a Bosnian leader exactly. He was leader of an ethnic Serbian breakaway state within Bosnia that still kind of exists (Republica Srpska).
    It's worth noting that the main victims of the Bosnian Serb militias and soldiers were the local Muslim population, the Bosniaks.
    So this is a man being prosecuted for genocide of Muslims.
    I understand your frustration that certain nations and leaders get away with shit policy and such things, but your being kind of flippant and disrespectful just handwaving the Bosnian genocides as "some country no one cares about". Even if it hadn't been huge news in the 90's when it was happening, it wouldn't really matter. What happened there was more severe then things Israel has done to the Palestinians, though of a very similar conflict I admit.

If you want to make constructive commentary here, the standards in Bosnia can be used against Israeli policy in various ways. I find that pro-Israeli extremist stances are best attacked from comparative examples rather than for their own demerits. Like it makes people more uncomfortable to blindly support Israeli policy if you're making strong solid comparisons to things people in the west wouldn't be caught dead defending. Though these days perhaps Bosnia wouldn't work quite so well given the victims were mostly Muslim...and people being all Trumped up...
    I prefer using Cyprus myself. Israel/Palestine has (surprisingly) not involved genocide (yet). Cyprus didn't either. Bosnia might be too severe a direct comparison. Though again, the subject of ethnic cleansing for claimed lands is hella relevant.

Rather than handwaving non-Israeli issues as whogivesafuck, learn to care as much. The same sectarian land conflict thing should make you concerned no matter where it takes place. Israel/Palestine is not really exceptional except in the west being overly tolerant of it. Otherwise it's not really worse or better than the average such example. Your ability to argue and defend your case on Israel will also be improved by expanding that knowledge and concern as well. If you can communicate that sort of thing to people who are sort of on the fence about it (most Americans) you'd be surprised maybe at how persuasive you can be.

Is he breaking rules??
    I'm pretty sure charity and kindness is supposed to be shown to anyone not just other Christians. Pretty sure all three Abrahamic religions would agree on that, in spite of what we see these days.
    Many things disgust me about the "oh are people of my religion suffering?? I don't care about the rest". But the fact that it tends to come from self-proclaimed observant Christians or Muslims is chief in that. Bad Samaritans the lot of them.
    Like I'm not Christian, just culturally and tangentally I kind of am. But there's stuff I deeply respect in the humanist philosophy I see in it, and how that sometimes inspires very good deeds and passions. So to see that tossed out...blugh. Like what even is the point to these people...they'd throw Mary Magdalene to the curb these people.
    I'm not familiar with Islam enough to know any direct things to reference, but I damn well know charity is one of the pillars. And I highly doubt that's "fellow Muslims only!".

This is exactly the message the pope should be sending out.

Quote Originally Posted by sanji''s_dad View Post
    The ISIS leaders and most of their members came from other bad groups if you destroy ISIS they will just rename themselves again so they will still be doing it just under a different name.
    Somewhat true, ISIS originated as a group that formed in "post"-war Iraq and immediately declared allegiance to Al-Qaeda. But even then they weren't exactly a product OF Al-Qaeda, and were notably extreme and at odds with the Al-Qaeda leadership from the get go.
    I'm not so sure it's exactly a Hydra situation then as you imply.
    But the underlying conditions producing such groups are not addressed by their destruction. Chaos and identity crisis in the Middle East would not be solved by their elimination.

But like...you still have to eliminate them though lol. Like you can wax philosophical about the source of an insect infestation, but you still need to kill that one cockroach in the bathroom lol.

Quote Originally Posted by le crystal View Post
    My country's main religion is Islam (even though we are very multiracial and multicultural) so I do have a bunch of Muslim friends. They all think that ISIS is just using a stupid excuse (aka RELIGION!) to do inhuman things. To tell the truth almost every religion says rather nasty things about non-believers (no offense). Most Quran stuff tells them to kill in the form of self defense and on the battlefield.

Islam is actually a good and beautiful religion (even though I am not a Muslim), its sickening to see it being twisted like that.
    All above are just my personal opinions.
    Can I ask what country?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Is he breaking rules??
    I'm pretty sure charity and kindness is supposed to be shown to anyone not just other Christians. Pretty sure all three Abrahamic religions would agree on that, in spite of what we see these days.
    Many things disgust me about the "oh are people of my religion suffering?? I don't care about the rest". But the fact that it tends to come from self-proclaimed observant Christians or Muslims is chief in that. Bad Samaritans the lot of them.
    Like I'm not Christian, just culturally and tangentally I kind of am. But there's stuff I deeply respect in the humanist philosophy I see in it, and how that sometimes inspires very good deeds and passions. So to see that tossed out...blugh. Like what even is the point to these people...they'd throw Mary Magdalene to the curb these people.
    I'm not familiar with Islam enough to know any direct things to reference, but I damn well know charity is one of the pillars. And I highly doubt that's "fellow Muslims only!".

This is exactly the message the pope should be sending out.
    Rules are abstract when it comes to any religion mainly the Abrahamic ones. As a Catholic, in my view this was the best symbol of religious unity we can get from a well known leader and his progressive actions have been welcome. Hardcore Christians however, might not take this in a humanitarian way it was meant to be but whine about how a traditional Maundy Thursday, with the 12 people symbolizing the disciples, has been "corrupted" by including women and other religious people. Hopefully not a lot think that way but people definitely would. The myopic view over the adherence to certain traditions weighs over the humanity that it was originally meant to stand for.

I remember my mom used to request me not to eat temple offerings my friends get from various pilgrimages to share it with folks at office. According to her, my Christianity in me gets somehow corrupted by food and becomes impure due to it being blessed by a different religion. Christianity, as far as I know, never said that but it is when religions meet different cultures that the demons from both mix on to bring out the ugly side of the resulting values. The age old relation to caste, untouchability and its relation to food has somehow twisted its way to aim towards another religion in this case. Since the Abrahamic religions have influenced quite a lot of cultures, there will always be a different set of rules with a bunch of people constantly offended at any point of time. It might be trivial and we might never hear of it but when they feel that they are "oppressed" with a twisted sociopath leading them, opinions will be shot

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Rules are abstract when it comes to any religion mainly the Abrahamic ones. As a Catholic, in my view this was the best symbol of religious unity we can get from a well known leader and his progressive actions have been welcome. Hardcore Christians however, might not take this in a humanitarian way it was meant to be but whine about how a traditional Maundy Thursday, with the 12 people symbolizing the disciples, has been "corrupted" by including women and other religious people. Hopefully not a lot think that way but people definitely would. The myopic view over the adherence to certain traditions weighs over the humanity that it was originally meant to stand for.
    I don't think most Catholics are so strict as that in most of the world though. Certainly not in Europe, Latin America or Anglo-America where I am.
    I mean it's intended as symbolism to begin with.
    I remember my mom used to request me not to eat temple offerings my friends get from various pilgrimages to share it with folks at office. According to her, my Christianity in me gets somehow corrupted by food and becomes impure due to it being blessed by a different religion.
    Helluva way to interpret the Eucharist lol.
    Christianity, as far as I know, never said that but it is when religions meet different cultures that the demons from both mix on to bring out the ugly side of the resulting values.
    Or syncretism happens. Including many of the traditions that exist in those religions as we know them. Syncretism is way more common than people seem to think, historically especially. We hear about it less because...
    1. It's not as "exciting" as conflict.
    2. Lots of modern adherents and historical adherents like to hush it up as it runs counter to extreme and fundamentalist views on religions.

The idea that even in early modern Europe peasants practiced really really unorthodox rituals mixing old pagan traditions with Christianity is uncomfortable to lots of people lol
    The age old relation to caste, untouchability and its relation to food has somehow twisted its way to aim towards another religion in this case.
    Which is extra funny given how that therefore is obviously not native to Christianity given that's specific to India.
    Since the Abrahamic religions have influenced quite a lot of cultures, there will always be a different set of rules with a bunch of people constantly offended at any point of time. It might be trivial and we might never hear of it but when they feel that they are "oppressed" with a twisted sociopath leading them, opinions will be shot
    Another good example is vieling. Which has become an obsession in Islam that barely exists all that heavily in text.
    It's mostly semi-vague reference to modesty, which exist in the other Abrahamic texts too.
    But traditions of veiling in the middle east and surrounding areas existed earlier than Islam, even in Christian societies. And it wormed it's way into the collective understanding of those texts. But not all of those cultures, nor the same way. Because that too was effected by regional customs.
    For instance cultures that existed more on the land and less urban? Traditions of veiling were always super loose to sometimes non-existent. Like in mountain peoples like Kurds, or nomad peoples like Kazakhs. More restrictive veiling was an urban tradition usually, like in Central Asian oasis towns.
    Not an iron rule at all as some other mountain or nomad tribes were more restrictive.

Hell I've heard it said one of the major sources of veiling tradition comes from the Greek Byzantines! The upper class women there covered up a lot, and generally even in subsequent Muslim societies for awhile it was really more a thing for upper class women. You can see how it being a symbol of glamor (oh the friggin' irony) lead to wider and wider adoption.

Quote Originally Posted by sanji''s_dad View Post

Yep agreed, first was Al-Qaeda and now it's ISIS. Jesus, what'll they think of next? All I know is extremist Islam is dangerous (not all Islam btw I'm no bigot).

The amount of stupidity among people is astounding. Always hear around my circles and friends about how the world is crazy once they hear about terrorist attacks in the news.

I don't understand how that's surprising. Terrorism has always existed and WILL ALWAYS EXIST. It's part of society. Even with the increased security check points it didn't do anything it simply created chokepoints for the bombs. And even further security checkpoints will simply incite people to bomb somewhere else (vulnerable trains and malls).

The fear mongering is actually real and people are actually scared. You're just giving the terrorists the satisfaction by being scared, and you're letting them win since now they've sucedeedes in acknowledging their presence and influence on you. You're disrupting your way of living. Why would you let them do that? I don't give a fuck about it I just move on with my life. I'm talking about people I specifically know are actually scared to go to germany or something? WTF? would you be scared of traveling to nyc or any other major city.

rant over.

------

I meet this guy outside my campus who was encouraging students to vote and who was obviously a bernie fan (bernie hat). I admire the naivety of people, but if anything awareness and shift in perspective might do more to change than peoples naive hope to change the status quo. Anyways, a bunch of articles about how bernie statistically speaking is beyond saving now. And how he wouldn't make much of a president since his intentions are only good, but lacks the know how and the wide scope of diverse knowledge needed to make a good president.

meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Hair View Post
    Yep agreed, first was Al-Qaeda and now it's ISIS. Jesus, what'll they think of next? All I know is extremist Islam is dangerous (not all Islam btw I'm no bigot).
    ISIS was an Al-Qaeda affiliate like he sort of alluded to. It popped up in the Iraq war aftermath as "Al Qaeda in Iraq". They're the ones responsible for all those nasty videotaped beheadings you might rememeber if you were old enough. They got beat badly down during a US effort to get the support of local tribal leaders and it looked like they were done.
    The war in Syria was when they regrew into strength, and where it broke off on it's own from Al Qaeda to become the ISIS we know and love.

An underlying thing visible here is that instability and loss of state control in this region is where these entities thrive and gestate. Al Qaeda had a comfortable hideout in the anarchic fundamentalist ruled Afghanistan. They have a continuing strong presence in Yemen.
    Then the first form of ISIS was born in the aftermath of the Iraq invasion.
    And the form we know now was born in the chaos of the Syrian civil war.

Some they point at western lead regime change as a culprit. With the fall of Saddam and Gaddafi allowing chaos. There is maybe some truth to that.
    But then the chaos in Syria (worse than either of those) is the product of dictatorship and it's naturally unstable inflexibility.

I don't understand how that's surprising. Terrorism has always existed and WILL ALWAYS EXIST.
    Uh not really. Are you ever referring to a specific form of terrorism here? Islamic? US militia nuts? The IRA? Tamil Tigers??
    The fear mongering is actually real and people are actually scared. You're just giving the terrorists the satisfaction by being scared, and you're letting them win since now they've sucedeedes in acknowledging their presence and influence on you. You're disrupting your way of living. Why would you let them do that? I don't give a fuck about it I just move on with my life. I'm talking about people I specifically know are actually scared to go to germany or something? WTF? would you be scared of traveling to nyc or any other major city.
    Many of those same people are in fact afraid of visiting NYC yes.
    Or flying.

Or flying.
    Which of course is entirely understandable

Uh not really. Are you ever referring to a specific form of terrorism here? Islamic? US militia nuts? The IRA? Tamil Tigers??
    no. im speaking of the abstractness of terrorism and that it's something that will always exist. thats why wars on abstract ideas like "war on terror" and "war on drugs" are stupid. Please don't argue with me here. It's almost like you deliberately disagree with everyone. Do you actually agree with anyone?
    speaking of which did anyone read the article that one of the advisers to nixon admitted that the war on drugs was meant to target black people and hippies by associating both with drugs. Nothing surprising here either really, just was interesting to see someone from the inside actually admit it. Unrelated sort of but yeah fucked up that we are not surprised by it.

Or flying.
    yes. flying omg that too. Even though statistically flying is actually pretty safe. The media distorts peoples perception and incites reaction out of them. Friends think the world is going to shit and that people are crazy. What is that supposed to mean? People have always been crazy. The media is not going to show you all the other times that flying is perfectly safe, or the day that a major city didn't have an attack. it's fear mongering and its working on people.

Which of course is entirely understandable
    do you live your life in constant fear of attack from terrorists?

no. im speaking of the abstractness of terrorism and that it's something that will always exist. thats why wars on abstract ideas like "war on terror" and "war on drugs" are stupid. Please don't argue with me here. It's almost like you deliberately disagree with everyone. Do you actually agree with anyone?
    You know as someone who declared the Bosnian genocide something no one cares about, I wouldn't really be turning the lens on me here as someone starting arguments for no reason.
    War on terrorism is a dumb concept if we're strictly looking at the title yeah. But it's sort of a meaningless lazy dismissal all it's own to take that and talk like there's no point to cracking down on ISIS or Al-Qaeda? Is that what you're suggesting? A more concrete understanding of what breeds terrorism is important and involves things beyond war. But the products of those things still need to be addressed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information