+ Reply to Thread
Page 461 of 893 FirstFirst ... 361 411 451 459 460 461 462 463 471 511 561 ... LastLast
Results 9,201 to 9,220 of 17857

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    I think Obama just totally ended the Cold War.
    He has visits to Vietnam and Laos scheduled later in the year to finish the set.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr M View Post
    Problem is that they chose to stay with their own culture and seal it of .
    It takes two to tango on this. This choice gets made when there's not much in the way of bridges out in the first place.
    If the first gen aren't sealed off, then it's hugely a matter of the new country. First gens insulating the newly born would be easier to pin on the immigrant community, but if it's not them? That's definitely a issue with the new home.

Your guess is as good as mine . The fact that they feel disadvantaged might be another factor , but who really knows.
    It's definitely a factor.
    It could be a problem , but we are seeing similar issues in France , Germany , Denmark and more European countries
    Yes. And they have the problem too. They have national identity, but it's based around a local native culture. French ethnicity, German ethnicity, Danish etc. Which is tied into a standing history around a population that has lived there since a long time ago. Rooted to the land. At least that's the idea.
    Just through that description you can see how that might cause lots of issues for newcomers to those countries.
    So once again you have a challenge facing assimilation.
    My suggestion (and yours I thought) was that it might be worse in Belgium for not even having an identity at all. Two identities separate from the national one, and neither present in Brussels.
    and in theory the could take on the national identity of a region instead of a country. So there have be be bigger things behind it than that.But I agree with the importance of national Identity.
    But it's not simply geographic for them, it's ethnic. The national identities of those countries is based on the people of that country. There are ideals sometimes implied (France's equality liberty fraternity thing), but it's still also tied to a native "people" who have a long history in the region. According to their respective identities.
    It's better to have that then nothing I suppose, but it's still a problem for incoming immigrants.

Have you followed anything of the politics in Belgium btw Zeph?
    I recall a looong government shutdown involving disputes between the halves. And that Flanders has become much more rich than Wallonia, causing tensions between the two.
    It's honestly funny how hateful they are towards every other nationality . And it's not only the North-Africans who are like that . In Belgium numerous fights have happened between Afghans and Iraqis in refugees shelters. They despise each other so much
    Is that so strange? The same exact stuff happened in the USA between Western European ethnic groups when they came over here. Tension between Irish and English, gang competitions between Italians and others, Germans and Swedes joining the KKK in the Northeast to counter the Catholic groups growing in power, English and Scottish tension in the super early days before even there was a US, even inter-English tensions carried over from the English Civil War between the Roundhead sympathetic New England and Cavalier sympathetic South, tension between the English and Germans even written about by Benjamin Franklin...
    There was this one incident where a bunch of Irish immigrant militias invaded Canada after the American Civil War because "fuck England".

protester brutally punched and kicked to the ground https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wo...to-the-ground/

im hearing that the guy had some kind of KKK hood? That might just be conservative news exaggeration since I havent actually seen any evidence of that, but i did think it was odd that a random black dude would lash out like that

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Sweden had (Still has) a rather big problem with immigrant "youth" assaulting ambulance drivers/firemen/police when they enter the suburbs on calls. One thing they've tried was to have some of the worst offenders spend time with for instance the fire brigade and try to teach them to understand the value of their work. Dunno how well it's worked out, but atleast it's something. Although i'm honestly a bit baffled that you'd even have to teach someone to leave the people who are there for your wellbeing alone, but eh the world is messed up.
    Cops are almost as dangerous as thugs where I am from. I can see people grouping the people whose vehicles go "weeee uuuuu weeee uuuu" as the bad guys.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Sweden had (Still has) a rather big problem with immigrant "youth" assaulting ambulance drivers/firemen/police when they enter the suburbs on calls. One thing they've tried was to have some of the worst offenders spend time with for instance the fire brigade and try to teach them to understand the value of their work. Dunno how well it's worked out, but atleast it's something. Although i'm honestly a bit baffled that you'd even have to teach someone to leave the people who are there for your wellbeing alone, but eh the world is messed up.
    These types of assaults on fireman and paramedics aren't too uncommon in the worst areas of Houston, or at least they were when my father was on duty.

I wouldn't say that i understand it, but with the cops atleast i can see where that could stem from.

But attacking an ambulance, trying to hinder people racing to save lives? That's unfathomable.

I assume that you have to lack a basic humanity to be able to do such a thing so casually.

Don't know if it's already been posted but Gawker is getting its shit pushed in by Hulk Hogan and the American justice system.

http://nypost.com/2016/03/21/hulk-ho...-tape-lawsuit/

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Don't know if it's already been posted but Gawker is getting its shit pushed in by Hulk Hogan and the American justice system.

http://nypost.com/2016/03/21/hulk-ho...-tape-lawsuit/
    Gawker should've just pulled a Kevin Nash and just took the poke and the pin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

He has visits to Vietnam and Laos scheduled later in the year to finish the set.
    Does he really? I just finished mapping where US presidents have ever visited (to meet with officials, no summits or vacations).
    And Laos would be a first ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Does he really? I just finished mapping where US presidents have ever visited (to meet with officials, no summits or vacations).
    He's going to the East Asia Summit in Ventiane in September.

So far, his announced plans for the rest of the year are:

Argentina - He's going there from Cuba to meet the President and visit Bariloche.
    Saudi Arabia - Gulf Cooperation Council meeting in Riyadh.
    United Kingdom - Visits with the Prime Minister and Queen while heading towards Europe.
    Germany - Hanover Messe and meeting with Merkel.
    Vietnam - Meeting with the Prime Minister while in Asia.
    Japan - G7 meeting in Shima.
    Canada - North American Leader's Summit in Ottawa, joint session of Parliament, and meeting with Prime Minister.
    Poland - NATO summit meeting in Warsaw.
    China - G-20 meeting in Hangzhou
    Previously mentioned trip to Laos.
    Peru - APEC in Lima.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    He's heading there in the fall, presumably as a final "fuck you" lap to the staunch Cold Warrior branch of the GOP.

Kerry went in January to prep. Apparently, we're finally going to start doing something about all the undetonanted bombs we dropped there during Vietnam.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Saudi Arabia - Gulf Cooperation Council meeting in Riyadh.
    This one will hopefully end in Obama getting into a brawl with the entire bin Saud family.

The Ugly never die loneassassin's Avatar
    A solid gold house with a rocket car in front

https://www.yahoo.com/news/belgian-m...072952033.html

Explosions and a gunfight going on in a Belgian airport right now with one person confirmed killed and other wounded

If you are gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk
    RIP Eli Wallach

3DS Friend Code: 3454-0518-6166

https://www.reddit.com/live/wmk50bsm9vt3

Reddit live updates are moving pretty quickly--apparently more explosions at metro stations?

Just woke up to it . 13 people dead. One explosion at our biggest airport , another one at a metro station.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    You are a treasure.

I was hoping this shit was going to be prevented after that baby boy Abdeslam croaked under pressure after being in custody for 24 hours and was going to tell everything in return for reduced jail time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    I was hoping this shit was going to be prevented after that baby boy Abdeslam croaked under pressure after being in custody for 24 hours and was going to tell everything in return for reduced jail time.
    I think that is exact reason why this terror strike took place here and now, they knew that it was only a matter of time before police would get on their tail and did this bombings here and now because tomorrow they could been arrested. There were miscalculations in timing with trains and several bombs were found unexploded, this tells of hurry and lack of preparations.

Condolences to Bruxelles, Ankara and Grand Bassam victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandian View Post
    I think that is exact reason why this terror strike took place here and now, they knew that it was only a matter of time before police would get on their tail and did this bombings here and now because tomorrow they could been arrested. There were miscalculations in timing with trains and several bombs were found unexploded, this tells of hurry and lack of preparations.
    Yeah this was my immediate thought.
    These fuckers who attacked today maybe had something more involved planned, or for a different date.
    But they figured their cover was going to be blown soon thanks to that guy being captured, so they improvised up a quick attack to get done ASAP.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information