+ Reply to Thread
Page 449 of 893 FirstFirst ... 349 399 439 447 448 449 450 451 459 499 549 ... LastLast
Results 8,961 to 8,980 of 17857

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

the real question is, can they delay for an additional 4 years if a democrat gets elected

ganbatte GOP-kun...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ion-rules.html

To nobody's suprise the "child" turned out to be roughly in his twenties.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ee-centre.html

And then there was another fatal stabbing at a refugee centre.

Details are sketchy but it was apparently some manner of in-fighting betwenn Afghan refugees.

The Ugly never die loneassassin's Avatar
    A solid gold house with a rocket car in front

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues' Gallery View Post
    I have no doubt that the GOP resistance is going to be brain aneurysm levels of asinine, but as Robby said, the longest it has ever taken to confirm a Supreme Court nominee is 125 days. Obama has 361 days left in office, so he has three times as long to get somebody on there, which might work in his favor.

I mean, even the GOP can't realistically expect a year-long cockblock to succeed.
    McConnell really fucked over the GOP by immediately saying no one can fill Scalia's position so he managed to not only possibly poison the GOP but also (probably) effectively ended his political career with this grandstanding if it fails

If you are gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk
    RIP Eli Wallach

3DS Friend Code: 3454-0518-6166

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues' Gallery View Post
    I mean, even the GOP can't realistically expect a year-long cockblock to succeed.
    They've tried to repeal Obamacare like 50 times and are still trying to kill gay marriage.

I can easily see them being stupid about this for a year.

But it can only hurt them if they do, it'll make them look incredibly awful (even more so than already) and turn out voters even more heavily. It took the media all of ten seconds to point out the same guy pushed through a Reagan nominee in his last year.

It'll be extra interesting when Kennedy eventually dies. I have to assume he won't dare leave now, but he's the same age as Scalia was. Ginsburg on the democrat side is a couple years older. It's really within reason to expect there to be a couple replacements within the next couple years. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Ginsburg step down after the next election if it goes Democrat.

(Retirement has been much more common than death in the last several decades)
    Last edited by Robby; February 14th, 2016 at 06:33 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Yeah I expect the democrats to use any heavy obstruction to their favor.
    I've seen people just assume the dems won't do this because....I guess some people still have weak democrats internalized from the Bush years. But that strikes me as outdated. Hillary's people would definitely take advantage of this.
    It's important too since it might galvanize voter turnout if properly handled.

NYT's list of potential SCOTUS nominees:
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-nominees.html

Robert Reich claims that Srinivasan is the forerunner based on a White House "insider" (who knows, really).
    Interesting options all around, though. Cory Booker would be exciting and sure to infuriate everyone on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post

Robert Reich claims that Srinivasan is the forerunner based on a White House "insider" (who knows, really).
    Interesting options all around, though. Cory Booker would be exciting and sure to infuriate everyone on the right.
    At sixty-three, Garland seems a bit on the old side to me. Ideally, you'd want somebody in their late-forties to mid-fifties since that'd make it much more likely that they'd be on the bench for twenty years or more.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I've seen people just assume the dems won't do this because....I guess some people still have weak democrats internalized from the Bush years.
    The Democrats seem to be framing this (and rightly) as a purely partisan ploy by the GOP a lot earlier than they would have in the past; part of it is because some of them are media savvy enough now to realize that not doing so will just result in the usual "But everybody does this sort of thing" narrative that the media loves so much. That has a lot to do with the perception of Democrats as weak on certain issues.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post

I demand diversity in our Indian-American important peoples community. An overwhelming amount are Tamil lol.
    (I'm even looking at you Jindal, Punjab? Sure, but originally? You're dark as hell dude)
    It's almost it's own proof that South India is the Western Europe of South Asia.

Aziz Ansari? Tamil.
    Mindy Kaling? Tamil.
    M Night Shyamalan? Tamil.
    Padma Lakshi? Tamil.

Go ahead, make a Tamil supreme court judge. WHY NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I demand diversity in our Indian-American important peoples community. An overwhelming amount are Tamil lol.
    (I'm even looking at you Jindal, Punjab? Sure, but originally? You're dark as hell dude)
    It's almost it's own proof that South India is the Western Europe of South Asia.

Aziz Ansari? Tamil.
    Mindy Kaling? Tamil.
    M Night Shyamalan? Tamil.
    Padma Lakshi? Tamil.

Go ahead, make a Tamil supreme court judge. WHY NOT!
    The last name 'Jindal' is of North Indian Brahmin lineage. Glad that he isn't from where I am from but he truly is an embarrassment to us either way. Many fair skinned people live in South and dark skin in North too so it's difficult to categorize. Heck I usually get mistaken for being a North Indian whereas I am as proper a South Indian as South can possibly go.

There is a huge influx of Indian Americans becoming quite visible in the US which doesn't come as a surprise considering that they are 2nd only to the Jewish ethnic group in lobbying for political parties. I wouldn't say only the South is more developed than the rest of the Northern parts but its just that the central part which is a little screwed up which gives the entire North a bad name. In fact, nearly 70% of the motels in the US are owned by people from the entrepreneurial Patildar caste who actually hail from the Western part of India more commonly identified by their "Patel" last names. You might see lots of people too with their last names as Agarwals (lot of doctors generally), Guptas and Sharmas who also hail from the Northern parts. The caste based last names are pretty useful in identifying which region they are generally from.
    “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Punjabis pretty much dominate the popular conception of 'Indian' here in Canada
    NNID: julsjacket

John Oliver is finally back to talk about Scalia:

Oh John Oliver, how I missed thee.

Laughed VERY hard at all his points! So Spot on!!

He is the TRUE Successor to Jon Stewart, no doubt about it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...room/80501904/

I guess it was inevitable that someone would want to prove conservative fears by testing the limits.

What I don't understand is why this is a complicated situation whatsoever. In situations like these they could very easily verify with the individual's physician's/therapist/work to check whether there is valid evidence that the individual does in fact identify as female, instead of just being some random creepo trying to make a mockery of the law, which is what it very obviously seems like right now.

Jerks gonna be jerks.

I do have to ask a question though, how does one know for sure through verbal identification or physical appearance? I assume for appearance someone attempting to look like the opposite gender via clothes would suffice? As for verbal identification would it be an honor system, or is there something I am missing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    Jerks gonna be jerks.

I do have to ask a question though, how does one know for sure through verbal identification or physical appearance? I assume for appearance someone attempting to look like the opposite gender via clothes would suffice? As for verbal identification would it be an honor system, or is there something I am missing?
    I think what they mean by verbal/physical refers to how they present. Like, someone presenting as female will speak and present in a different way than someone presenting male.

Which is what puts this issue in even more context. Going into a women's locker room, or even a restroom, is one of those anxiety-inducing situations for a trans girl, and the idea of doing so before going full time sounds like something that would simply not happen just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    I think what they mean by verbal/physical refers to how they present. Like, someone presenting as female will speak and present in a different way than someone presenting male.

Which is what puts this issue in even more context. Going into a women's locker room, or even a restroom, is one of those anxiety-inducing situations for a trans girl, and the idea of doing so before going full time sounds like something that would simply not happen just like that.
    So just to make sure I understand, assuming this person was actually trans and going with your first point, despite having the physical appearance they would have certain behaviors that are more like females when in a dressing/changing room? I don't know what behaviors would be different but I guess for me if someone with a female form came in, I would know by behavior if this person was truly trans or not because of how everyone else usually goes about their business in the room? Or am I completely missing the point, and if so if you don't mind explaining a bit more I would be curious to know?

As for the second point I can see that. For an actual Trans person to go into the changing room of their choice can be nerve wracking for a number of reasons. If you are pre-op you'll inevitably have stares because you stand out, and there's the chance people there could assume the worst or want to ogle you. Probably other things going through your mind that I wouldn't know either.

The rules made should be around harassment, not gender. To be honest, I'm not sure why more locker rooms don't just have booths to change in. I never did, and always ended up changing in the toilet stalls anyways. They're not hard to build and I'm not sure anyone really likes the whole being naked with strangers aspect all too much, the way society is. I think the trick is finding a solution that neither genders, nor increases enforcement.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Forgive me, but I am extremely confused about what you're asking.

At the bottom line, going full time when it comes to presentation involves more than just wearing the clothes, it also involves learning social cues that exist in the culture you happen to live in. The way you walk, the way you talk, body movement, how you speak to people, etc.
    The idea here is that for most trans the goal is to pass, not so much to hide being trans but because passing as the gender you identify means being able to go as you please with the comfort of knowing that people won't stare or treat you differently.

Essentially what I already said before, which is why I'm really confused as to why you still have questions. Are you asking how to know if someone is trans?

edit:
    Wagomu: basing the rules around harassment can lead to a slippery slope though, because then when you think back on the days of segregation a lot of people had personal discomfort at having black people in their facilities. So, suddenly, you're creating unequal spaces to conform to a standard of comfort that has been twisted in the first place by standards of what's normal and what's not.

If we were to base rules at the moment around harassment a bunch of people would make the argument that they feel harassed by having trans individuals with them in the restroom/locker room, and we're back at square 0 where trans folk just outright have no safe space, since being trans would disqualify them from the right gender's restroom and going into the bathroom for the opposite gender would also not be optimal.
    So while, in theory, it makes sense to follow the ideal of not gendering everything further, I don't think society is at a place where logistically it would give the best results, assuming I'm understanding your comment properly.
    Last edited by Noqanky; February 17th, 2016 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Forgive me, but I am extremely confused about what you're asking.

At the bottom line, going full time when it comes to presentation involves more than just wearing the clothes, it also involves learning social cues that exist in the culture you happen to live in. The way you walk, the way you talk, body movement, how you speak to people, etc.
    The idea here is that for most trans the goal is to pass, not so much to hide being trans but because passing as the gender you identify means being able to go as you please with the comfort of knowing that people won't stare or treat you differently.

Essentially what I already said before, which is why I'm really confused as to why you still have questions. Are you asking how to know if someone is trans?

edit:
    Wagomu: basing the rules around harassment can lead to a slippery slope though, because then when you think back on the days of segregation a lot of people had personal discomfort at having black people in their facilities. So, suddenly, you're creating unequal spaces to conform to a standard of comfort that has been twisted in the first place by standards of what's normal and what's not.

If we were to base rules at the moment around harassment a bunch of people would make the argument that they feel harassed by having trans individuals with them in the restroom/locker room, and we're back at square 0 where trans folk just outright have no safe space, since being trans would disqualify them from the right gender's restroom and going into the bathroom for the opposite gender would also not be optimal.
    So while, in theory, it makes sense to follow the ideal of not gendering everything further, I don't think society is at a place where logistically it would give the best results, assuming I'm understanding your comment properly.
    Sorry, I just didn't know how to word it and instead I posted what first came to mind instead of waiting to make it clear. Thankfully your second time around answered what I was trying to figure out so thank you for that. Don't know how to explain why I didn't understand what you first said, and I won't waste time trying to clear that up, just for some reason my brain wasn't able to wrap around what you said the first time. I think giving specifics was what helped me because I was unsure of what you meant by the broad concepts (even though now it sounds so simple thinking about it).

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    Sorry, I just didn't know how to word it and instead I posted what first came to mind instead of waiting to make it clear. Thankfully your second time around answered what I was trying to figure out so thank you for that. Don't know how to explain why I didn't understand what you first said, and I won't waste time trying to clear that up, just for some reason my brain wasn't able to wrap around what you said the first time. I think giving specifics was what helped me because I was unsure of what you meant by the broad concepts (even though now it sounds so simple thinking about it).
    Ok, glad I was able to be clearer. It's something not everybody has to think about, so it makes sense to have questions, no problem at all with that ^^

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information