+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 892 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 140 540 ... LastLast

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

SOLAR FREAKING ROADWAYS.
    http://elitedaily.com/news/technolog...ign=CMfacebook

This probably isn't that big news, but it's a great little video explaining it, and a link to the indiegogo campaign for it. Seriously, how awesome is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    SOLAR FREAKING ROADWAYS.

This probably isn't that big news, but it's a great little video explaining it, and a link to the indiegogo campaign for it. Seriously, how awesome is it?
    futuristic looking roads? I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    SOLAR FREAKING ROADWAYS.

Fascinating and ambitious stuff. I still have a lot of questions on how they would eventually implement it, but I hope their project is able to at least able to help phase out the aging interstate infrastructure.
    Personally, I believe that next generation nuclear power can offer greater energy production for lower cost with readily available materials than current efforts in renewable energy, especially in the cases of wind and biofuels.

Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

Another idiot with a gun except this one had a male inferiority complex. My condolences to the victims. Those who really matters in this tragedy and the families.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Blagtastic88 View Post
    Fascinating and ambitious stuff. I still have a lot of questions on how they would eventually implement it, but I hope their project is able to at least able to help phase out the aging interstate infrastructure.
    Personally, I believe that next generation nuclear power can offer greater energy production for lower cost with readily available materials than current efforts in renewable energy, especially in the cases of wind and biofuels.
    Which next generation nuclear power scheme are you talking about? If it's fusion, then that's still a really long ways away. The technology simply isn't ready yet and is likely not going to be for at least another 50 years (especially when you consider how much research still needs to be done and how ridiculously expensive it is to do).

edit: That said, solar power will never fulfill all of our needs, because it is too hard to build up enormous voltages/currents with it. In order to power some of our more electrically demanding technologies, we will need high energy density power plants (like the ones that currently exist). Once it's completely figured out, fusion will surely be a great option for these types of applications.

Of course, it's always possible that we will figure out how to make super batteries first, and these would be an even better option.
    Last edited by benjamminbrown; May 24th, 2014 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismeru View Post
    wow what a Nice Guy®

I usually laugh at the MRA crowd because they mostly just bury themselves in self harming misery while writing horrible things about women that women never read because these guys live in their own radical clubhouses where they use bizarre jargon no one else understands...

But I guess I laughed too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    Which next generation nuclear power scheme are you talking about? If it's fusion, then that's still a really long ways away. The technology simply isn't ready yet and is likely not going to be for at least another 50 years (especially when you consider how much research still needs to be done and how ridiculously expensive it is to do).

edit: That said, solar power will never fulfill all of our needs, because it is too hard to build up enormous voltages/currents with it. In order to power some of our more electrically demanding technologies, we will need high energy density power plants (like the ones that currently exist). Once it's completely figured out, fusion will surely be a great option for these types of applications.

Of course, it's always possible that we will figure out how to make super batteries first, and these would be an even better option.
    Personally, I've found that molten salt reactors solve many of the problems of traditional light water reactors and most other reactors that operate under pressurized conditions. They have a proof of concept in Oak Ridge experiment. Materials have improved since then to further solve any corrosion problems and with further advances in turbine technologies, closed cycle turbines could very efficiently produce energy from these reactors. Also, fuel and waste can be added or removed on-line with molten salt reactors. This is especially true in the case of Thorium breeder reactors in which you can bubble out your fissile Uranium from your fertile Thorium using Florine gas. Also, by exploiting the Thorium fuel cycle they have lots of fertile material to turn into fissile material as well as many useful decay products that could be extracted other industrial uses. Thorium also produces fewer transuranics. Just my opinion, but I think that molten salt reactors could be a viable alternative to current coal plants and help not only cut back on carbon emissions, but create a stable domestic fuel economy for electricity production.

Also, fusion is really just a too far off to practical in solving current energy problem. Solar is too inefficient even as more multi-junction cells are produced. The Artificial Leaf was a cool idea, but Hydrogen is a pain to store and has terrible energy density. Though with the materials involved, it could be a novel concept for water purification and individual scale power supplementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I usually laugh at the MRA crowd because they mostly just bury themselves in self harming misery while writing horrible things about women that women never read because these guys live in their own radical clubhouses where they use bizarre jargon no one else understands...

But I guess I laughed too soon.
    its interesting how he's from a wealthy family and the son of a big movie director. Kind of goes back to the idea that women won't get with you just because of money alone, there must be some kind of personality thing there that pushed people away (or maybe he felt entitled to 'superior' women, ie: big breasted blond girls, and wouldn't date anybody less than that).

Well it'll be curious to see when we get more details on it but the whole response from some people about this has been really depressing

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    Well it'll be curious to see when we get more details on it but the whole response from some people about this has been really depressing
    Would you mind elaborating on this? What little bit of comments section responses I've been able to stomach have, fairly predictably I think, instantly devolved into the same old gun control 'debate'. I won't deny that that is somewhat depressing, in its own way, but at the same time it just seems so standard that it doesn't even really bear commenting on, so I wonder if that's what you're referring to, or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    its interesting how he's from a wealthy family and the son of a big movie director. Kind of goes back to the idea that women won't get with you just because of money alone, there must be some kind of personality thing there that pushed people away (or maybe he felt entitled to 'superior' women, ie: big breasted blond girls, and wouldn't date anybody less than that).

These MRA types are not vain egotists, they're like the total opposite of that. They're a collection of uber depressed bitter little shits who are absolutely ass backwards clueless about what ANYTHING regarding sex and/or romance is.
    Their brilliant solution is to cram Frat Boy logic into a Dungeons and Dragons Engineering Degree vision complete with video game like ratings and asinine detail obsessions.
    They worship the former while being the types of people Frat idiots would dunk into toilets.
    It's a bit like those shrimpy jumpy guys we all knew in high school who worshiped WWE. Except instead of kind of adorable it's disgusting.

I saw this one place online where these dudes were taking photos of themselves and posting them for the rest. And they went into these borderline martian conversations mentioning all these stupid words no one aside from advanced medical students probably know, and coming up with mathematic formulas for what shape a "correct" chin or neck is like to be attractive to women. And then they used like photoshop to morph their heads into what the ideal was like.
    Making these, honestly completely normal even sorta good looking 18 year olds, into like these retarded looking video game beefcakes lol.

The amount of self-loathing is unbelievable. They're completely insane people.

They're never going to be happy either. Even if tomorrow they had all that legendary female attention they want (yes even if not especially the self celibate ones or whatever that was called), they would just feel stupid and empty and be every bit as clueless as to what they don't understand as before.
    Last edited by Monkey King; May 24th, 2014 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    Would you mind elaborating on this? What little bit of comments section responses I've been able to stomach have, fairly predictably I think, instantly devolved into the same old gun control 'debate'. I won't deny that that is somewhat depressing, in its own way, but at the same time it just seems so standard that it doesn't even really bear commenting on, so I wonder if that's what you're referring to, or something else.
    i was mostly thinking about previous discussions in the sexuality thread (or maybe elsewhere?) where some people assumed that girls will hook up with a guy if he's really wealthy or whatever

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

These MRA types are not vain egotists, they're like the total opposite of that. They're a collection of uber depressed bitter little shits who are absolutely ass backwards clueless about what ANYTHING regarding sex and/or romance is.
    Their brilliant solution is to cram Frat Boy logic into a Dungeons and Dragons Engineering Degree vision complete with video game like ratings and asinine detail obsessions.
    They worship the former while being the types of people Frat idiots would dunk into toilets.
    It's a bit like those shrimpy jumpy guys we all knew in high school who worshiped WWE. Except instead of kind of adorable it's disgusting.

I saw this one place online where these dudes were taking photos of themselves and posting them for the rest. And they went into these borderline martian conversations mentioning all these stupid words no one aside from advanced medical students probably know, and coming up with mathematic formulas for what shape a "correct" chin or neck is like to be attractive to women. And then they used like photoshop to morph their heads into what the ideal was like.
    Making these, honestly completely normal even sorta good looking 18 year olds, into like these retarded looking video game beefcakes lol.

The amount of self-loathing is unbelievable. They're completely insane people.

They're never going to be happy either. Even if tomorrow they had all that legendary female attention they want (yes even if not especially the self celibate ones or whatever that was called), they would just feel stupid and empty and be every bit as clueless as to what they don't understand as before.
    oh yeah, I hear alllllll about them all the time from filling kenji's twitter account lol

Yeah some idiot girls.

Actually that's a theme with these sorts of dudes. MRA or not.
    It takes the effort of Hercules to get them to talk about the opposite sex as like ...a bunch of people with as many cliched groups, and countless individuals as their own??

Like they obsess over shitty trashy girls hooking up with shitty trashy guys. The way they talk the world is populated by three peoples.
    1. Jocks.
    2. Blonde club girls.
    3. Themselves (handsome funny charming friendly normal dude)

From the casually clueless all the way up to the MRA cultists you see this same general framework.

Hahaha yeah

Actually I heard about MRAs from tumblr but I first encountered one on Facebook in the guise of an old highschool friend who I don't think he really knew what MRAs really were tbh. He was posting some mysogenistic shit and I got fed up and finally started engaging him every time he'd post something. The argument was basically the 'List' of mra complaints against feminism. I did feel bad for him because he turned to this stuff from losing his kids in a custody battle, and I agree that the court system can be unfair, but it's really annoying that something with so many acidic people behind it can screw with regular people too and shift focus away from the actual causes of men's problems (to feminism and women, of course).

I think the greatest irony is the title "MRA" like to someone who'd never heard of the real deal... implies some sort of... like dudes who are interested in talking dude issues??
    Like guys who sit around going "Now why exactly are we pressured to feel like we must constantly live up to this bizarre harmful idea?".
    But instead it's a bunch of guys sitting around fearfully worshiping that exact harmful idea like an ancient pagan idol.

tldr: this is what MRA looks like to me.

Above: Man being condemned to the friend zone.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar

Aside from the God-awful MRA stuff, what I'm finding equally disturbing is how so many media outlets are on the way of indirectly romanticizing the killer, between labeling him a "madman" and "feeling scorned on love." (in the same way that Aurora, CO shooter was described as "demonic, clad in dark body armor")

I know it's tabloid garbage, but seeing The Mail calling him "The Hunger Games Assassin" nearly brought my blood to a boil.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Above: Man being condemned to the friend zone.
    Mola Ram: your heart is definitely not 10 material, more like a 4 actually, only gammas have pulmonary arteries that thin lollll XD
    guys look at this fucking 4 heart, no 10's are gonna look your way when this thing pumps lol, look at this fucking right ventricleeeahahahaha
    You pretty much HAVE to have a heart like Brad Pitt to get anywhere
    *photoshops muscles and chiseled jaw onto heart*

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

"How can I spiff myself up a little bit for that girl at work I wonder"
    *takes out calculator and protractor*

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcomm...op-on-pop.html

Matriarchy laying all Pops low, systematic oppression of Pop

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information