+ Reply to Thread
Page 393 of 893 FirstFirst ... 293 343 383 391 392 393 394 395 403 443 493 ... LastLast
Results 7,841 to 7,860 of 17845

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Hell Hitler apparently figured Antonescu was a better puppet choice. I'd like to look into whether Hitler thinking they were too openly cray cray had anything to with that choice.
    Hitler: Good on you for eliminating those Iron Guard nutjobs. We cannot abide barbarism.
    Antonescu: No prob, Big H.
    Hitler: Those shipments of gypsies still coming in? The supply in Bohemia is, well, sort of gone.
    Antonescu: You betcha! We even roughed them up for you ahead of time!

*Hitler and Antonescu high-five as ska punk plays in the background, credits roll*

Normal Muslims will say pretty much the exact same thing jfyi.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Hell Hitler apparently figured Antonescu was a better puppet choice. I'd like to look into whether Hitler thinking they were too openly cray cray had anything to with that choice.

After all the Nazis were pretty freaked out by the Ustasi. Though man, whose really creepier?
    The Ustasi for being barbaric animals in their genocides? Or the Nazis being organized professionals in their genocides?

Good essay topic.
    I'd write my essay on the Ustasi because none of my history teachers covered them. And thanks for that interesting article on the Iron Death Guards. The Nicadori committing the first major political assassination since 1862. I wonder why the bulk of history teachers don't cover Croatia or Romania?
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Just as a really minor note, my maternal great-grandfather was a partisan who was involved with fighting the Ustatsi, who then told about his stories to my grandmother then to me. He was ethnically Serbian but lived in that border region, so you could imagine he had issues with them.

Oh here's someone else who's responsible for mass killings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Blokhin
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Just as a really minor note, my maternal great-grandfather was a partisan who was involved with fighting the Ustatsi, who then told about his stories to my grandmother then to me. He was ethnically Serbian but lived in that border region, so you could imagine he had issues with them.
    It's weird how this level of brutality, chaos, inhumanity is all there just under the recent historical surface of the Western world. Dig a bit into your own pasts and it's not even far away like with your gramps fighting those beasts.
    And yet we still look at the Middle East and go "Gosh must be something unique to that region! Shucks howdy".

See also the attitude toward poor countries. Like much of the modern developed world wasn't shit ass poor even just a century ago.

Here's a black and white photo from Nigeria.

Oops sorry wait that was Seoul South Korea in the 1950's!
    Last edited by Monkey King; November 16th, 2015 at 08:01 PM.

It's weird how this level of brutality, chaos, inhumanity is all there just under the recent historical surface of the Western world. Dig a bit into your own pasts and it's not even far away like with your gramps fighting those beasts.
    And yet we still look at the Middle East and go "Gosh must be something unique to that region! Shucks howdy".
    Even more recent for the Balkans once Yugoslavia went kaput. A few months ago, I went to a joint Serbian-Croatian culture festival, and it's interesting to think that across the ocean just twenty years prior, their counterparts would have been at eachother's throats while it was such a chill atmosphere at said festival.

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Even more recent for the Balkans once Yugoslavia went kaput. A few months ago, I went to a joint Serbian-Croatian culture festival, and it's interesting to think that across the ocean just twenty years prior, their counterparts would have been at eachother's throats while it was such a chill atmosphere at said festival.
    Tell me about it. I posted about it before but Chrissie was invited and attended a Turkish cultural center coffee night thing, and she didn't even hide that she was Greek Cypriot. And it was cool and (just like the Yugoslavs) she knew like every damn food served at the place by a different name. Also we had the best baklava she's ever had there to boot lol.
    That's one of the most beautiful things about the New World.

Also I'm curious on this. But Serbia and Croatia, noted not so progressive recently quite xenophobic places....have honestly handled the Syrian refugee crisis decently well.
    Much better than rich pampered places like Denmark and the Netherlands, or poorer but recently peaceful places like Poland and Hungary.
    It's almost like the Yugoslavs due to the more recent violence at home are less hostile because of it. Not above it, not so sealed off in a gated hermetic community.

Tell me about it. I posted about it before but Chrissie was invited and attended a Turkish cultural center coffee night thing, and she didn't even hide that she was Greek Cypriot. And it was cool and (just like the Yugoslavs) she knew like every damn food served at the place by a different name. Also we had the best baklava she's ever had there to boot lol.
    That's one of the most beautiful things about the New World.

Also I'm curious on this. But Serbia and Croatia, noted not so progressive recently quite xenophobic places....have honestly handled the Syrian refugee crisis decently well.
    Much better than rich pampered places like Denmark and the Netherlands, or poorer but recently peaceful places like Poland and Hungary.
    It's almost like the Yugoslavs due to the more recent violence at home are less hostile because of it. Not above it, not so sealed off in a gated hermetic community.
    What you just experienced is how the whole should be like. And Balkans has always been unstable because people won't kiss up and make up
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    And Balkans has always been unstable because people won't kiss up and make up
    All of the world is historically unstable. Unless it's like the middle of nowhere.

All of the world is historically unstable. Unless it's like the middle of nowhere.
    I did not even say it only happened in the Balkans, i'm only pointing it out but that is indeed true
    Currently writing a book

It's even more extraordinary as one of the most persecuted peoples during the early 90's were the Bosnians, targeted because they were Muslim.

Because my state is inviting Syrian refugees, I come to wonder if they can peacefully settle here without any danger. However i'm going to sit back and watch
    Currently writing a book

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    Pretty much what Robby and Zephos said.

A christian is a christian is a christian. There's all sorts, but they all kind of call themselves the same thing (except when they take the holier than thou approach like you're doing and say "no, I'm the better christian"). Even when I really did believe in and tried to follow the teachings of Jesus, I still probably wasn't what you would call a christian, but that's not my problem. I think it's yours.

And, seriously, I still think that a huge fraction of people who go to church don't do it just for the worship. In fact, I think for a lot of them that worship is just a secondary thing.
    So what makes a person a Christian?

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    Because my state is inviting Syrian refugees, I come to wonder if they can peacefully settle here without any danger. However i'm going to sit back and watch
    Joe I'm pretty sure America has had refugees and migrants come to it at some point in the past and had it work out alright.

Joe I'm pretty sure America has had refugees and migrants come to it at some point in the past and had it work out alright.
    I happen to know that, this may be different then before and I hope it's not going to be like Europe is facing
    Currently writing a book

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
    Pretty much just saying you are.

You may not be a *good* Christian, and may be a complete asshole that tries to break marriage licenses for gays, obstructs womens right to choose, or complains about a coffee cup design.... but there's no real litmus test for religious belief.

Similarly, you could be someone that does good things, helps their neighbors, donates to charities, and does everything Jesus preaches... because its the good person thing to do! but not be religious at all. You'd be a good Christian without any of the religion.

Or you could meet a Buddhist or Muslim that does all the good things a "good" Christian does, but clearly follows a different belief system.

So you have to actually ask two different questions.

1)What makes you a good person? -Good deeds and attitude.
    2)What makes you a follower of a specific religion? -Belief in a specific god and at least some of the thins taught in the holy book.

THey're not inherently the same thing.
    Last edited by Robby; November 16th, 2015 at 11:04 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
    People seem to think that in order to be a part of a religion you need to meet strict criteria, say some magic words, or be this devout to enter this religion. It's not like that. Just think about how most people join a religion. Just think about when they are considered a part of that religion. At a very young age. Most of the time we just are through our parents or social upbringing. All of these Christian kids...what have they done to be Christian or what have they done to even be considered Christian? Or to be considered Muslim or to be considered Jewish? Nothing. Nothing special, really. They were just born and brought up in a certain religious household or community. There parents said they were <insert religion here> and so they are.

And if they grow up and decide to be a part or follow another religion, so they will be. There's no religious test to see if you pass or fail but if you know of one please let me know. There's only what you identify as and what you believe in.
    Everything's Eventual...

Growing up Christian, it's a personal relationship with God and Jesus. It might be hard for an atheist to understand, but it's like you're acting like god is a real person who is with you every day, whom you can talk to and get a response based on things that happen or simply by knowing what he'd say based on the teachings of Jesus. It's that you believe that he's real and he's with you always and that you want to do right by him. You don't have to go to church or even talk about it but it's a true belief and it's your actions.

You could live in the woods without human contact your whole life and be a Christian

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    Growing up Christian, it's a personal relationship with God and Jesus. It might be hard for an atheist to understand, but it's like you're acting like god is a real person who is with you every day, whom you can talk to and get a response based on things that happen or simply by knowing what he'd say based on the teachings of Jesus. It's that you believe that he's real and he's with you always and that you want to do right by him. You don't have to go to church or even talk about it but it's a true belief and it's your actions.

You could live in the woods without human contact your whole life and be a Christian
    Eh, not exactly. That's like nondenominational Christian and more or less how I was raised, but it's not umbrella Christian since it's based on Protestantism. Since Catholicism emphasizes the Church and the Papacy as a conduit for communication with God, I don't think you can include the type of relationship with God in a broad definition of Christianity.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information