+ Reply to Thread
Page 391 of 892 FirstFirst ... 291 341 381 389 390 391 392 393 401 441 491 891 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,820 of 17840

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Little sidetrip

http://www.people.com/article/charli...n-hiv-positive

'Tiger Blood' quote coming back to haunt him :(

Quote Originally Posted by SmokerSan View Post
    This may be true, but the US officials, Japanese, Iraqi and Australians think the opposite. And if you read the article, you'll see that they are not spoils at all.
    I don't think it is "not an issue" that ISIS seems to be acquiring new vehicles for their activities. But I do think it's pretty ridiculous to assume that they are acquiring them because of some coordinated international conspiracy.

It's far more likely that they are getting these vehicles and equipment by stealing and/or taking advantage of people who are willing to work outside the law.
    Last edited by benjamminbrown; November 16th, 2015 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby
    And the bible is full of Jesus saying "love thy neighbor". Its still referred to when people want to to harass minorities and take away women's health rights. Asshole extremists are going to find what they want to find to support their view, regardless of how good intentioned the source may be.
    It's obvious that Islam isn't the sole reason ISIS does what it does, but it is a factor. That's all I'm saying. The simple truth is people cherry pick their religion to support their positions and ignore it when it's*inconvenient*or when their sensibilities conflict with*its*message. This goes for anyone that follows a religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    This goes for anyone that follows a religion.
    Uhm... no.

Most people "that follow a religion" do it because its a cultural thing, because they were raised in the community and because their upbringing gives them those values in the first place. Very few are actually actively going through it and cherry picking bits to excuse their random hatred.

If it wasn't religion, it would be something else. People find things to fight about, and it doesn't have to be God.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
    No one has gone to war over atheism though.
    yet.
    We've had plenty of wars that weren't about religion. We've certainly had them over things like slavery, or oil, or a water supply, where religion doesn't factor into it at all. WW2 has Hitler exterminating Jews, but it wasn't a war about religion.

Atheism as a widespread "lots of people believe this" thing is fairly new. The only reason there hasn't been a war over it yet is because its not an organized enough group. Aside from that, there's different levels of "war". No, there haven't been any major prolonged international conflicts over it, but there's certainly been plenty of vandalism and death and hatred and self righteousness in the name of it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameswuds View Post
    Chicago rapper Lil Reese ( aka the grim reaper ) is daring ISIS to try and shoot us up while posting up guns:

http://kollegekidd.com/news/lil-rees...s-on-hit-list/

So does 600breezy by commenting on instagram that 'we already at war we been ready':

https://twitter.com/145Fatz/status/666322696742006784

we're called Chiraq for a reason boa!
    Lol maybe they should focus primarily on the assholes luring 9 year old kids to their deaths instead of the other assholes doing equally reprehensible shit

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Little sidetrip

http://www.people.com/article/charli...n-hiv-positive

'Tiger Blood' quote coming back to haunt him :(
    My thought is how did he avoid being diagnosed for so damn long?
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; November 16th, 2015 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Uhm... no.

Most people "that follow a religion" do it because its a cultural thing, because they were raised in the community and because their upbringing gives them those values in the first place. Very few are actually actively going through it and cherry picking bits to excuse their random hatred.

If it wasn't religion, it would be something else. People find things to fight about, and it doesn't have to be God.
    Reminds me of that South Park episode where atheist Beavers were at war because of the name they should give their organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    Reminds me of that South Park episode where atheist Beavers were at war because of the name they should give their organization.
    Yeah, me, too. However, these beavers were completely right. Their name had an alliteration so it was the only logical choice.

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    Wasn't hitler atheist? He used religious leaders but I'm pretty sure he wasn't into Jesus

The great atheist war of 2050, also known as the Vape Wars
    Hitler being an Atheist is pretty much left up to debate. However from what I saw in he and how he acts is not what a Christian should be doing. He claims he's doing God's work however people intend to use God as an excuse to do what they want just because God killed so many people in the Old Testament. However this is my interperation, you can decided to listen or not. I still say Hitler is using God to justify his means.
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

I don't see any reason to defend this religion.
    How about to prevent as much as possible the unfair discrimination, attacks, and villainization of an entire religion and its people because the actions of a few? Consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokerSan View Post
    This may be true, but the US officials, Japanese, Iraqi and Australians think the opposite. And if you read the article, you'll see that they are not spoils at all.
    At worst Toyota is purposefully, knowingly, and willingly making a profit off of terrorism by looking the other way while their vehicles are being sold to parties their vehicles should not be sold to. There's also the possibility that Toyota is not being careful enough as to who they sell their vehicles to and it's just dumb negligence. Or perhaps it's this...

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Toyota has a “strict policy to not sell vehicles to potential purchasers who may use or modify them for paramilitary or terrorist activities,” Lewis said. He said it is impossible for the company to track vehicles that have been stolen, or have been bought and re-sold by middlemen.
    Now, I'm not saying Toyota is off the hook but it's most certainly not your U.S government supplying ISIS conspiratorial nonsense. In a way we have supplied ISIS but it's not the way you're saying.
    Everything's Eventual...

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    Hitler being an Atheist is pretty much left up to debate. However from what I saw in he and how he acts is not what a Christian should be doing. He claims he's doing God's work however people intend to use God as an excuse to do what they want just because God killed so many people in the Old Testament. However this is my interperation, you can decided to listen or not. I still say Hitler is using God to justify his means.
    He was also into Germanic paganism, so he was a tricky one to place.

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    He was also into Germanic paganism, so he was a tricky one to place.
    I think that is true. Himmler according to history was into Germanic paganism but Hitler laughed at him but I think deep down he pretty much supports it.
    Currently writing a book

Hitler was a massive opportunist and supported/rejected a bunch of religions to suit his purposes. He didn't give a shit about religion, only how it related to him, his power, and his vision for Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...f_Adolf_Hitler

"The heaviest blow that ever struck humanity was the coming of Christianity. Bolshevism is Christianity's illegitimate child. Both are inventions of the Jew. The deliberate lie in the matter of religion was introduced into the world by Christianity."
    The Führer is deeply religious, though completely anti-Christian. He views Christianity as a symptom of decay. Rightly so. It is a branch of the Jewish race. This can be seen in the similarity of their religious rites. Both (Judaism and Christianity) have no point of contact to the animal element, and thus, in the end they will be destroyed. The Fuhrer is a convinced vegetarian on principle.

he's atheist AND vegetarian

u can say all you want about WWII and christianity but hitler was definitely an atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Robby
    Most people "that follow a religion" do it because its a cultural thing,Very few are actually actively going through it and cherry picking bits to excuse their random hatred.
    They all cherry pick and ignore things inconvenient for their positions. It this isn't linked to hatred specifically. People can choose a bible verse to shun or support someone who's homosexual. Both are cherry picking. I'd love to meet anyone who follows their religion verbatim. Where are you getting that people follow a religion because it's a cultural thing?
    Their religion is an influence to them. This is fact. ISIS rules by Sharia law. They refer to themselves as Islamic state. Denying that religion play a part in their ideology is completely false. It doesn't matter if they can conjure up something to fight about.

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec
    How about to prevent as much as possible the unfair discrimination, attacks, and villainization of an entire religion and its people because the actions of a few? Consider that.
    What are you talking about. You don't have to defend it to accomplish any of that. There's no way to stop attacks or villainization. There's already protections against religious discrimination. The people who hate muslims hate them regardless. They'll attack them regardless. It's not like that's legal. They simply use terrorist attacks to justify their hatred.
    Last edited by Horizon; November 16th, 2015 at 05:26 PM.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    We've had plenty of wars that weren't about religion. We've certainly had them over things like slavery, or oil, or a water supply, where religion doesn't factor into it at all. WW2 has Hitler exterminating Jews, but it wasn't a war about religion.

Atheism as a widespread "lots of people believe this" thing is fairly new. The only reason there hasn't been a war over it yet is because its not an organized enough group. Aside from that, there's different levels of "war". No, there haven't been any major prolonged international conflicts over it, but there's certainly been plenty of vandalism and death and hatred and self righteousness in the name of it.
    Just because a war isnt about a religion doesn't mean it's atheistic. And minor acts speak more about indivuals than the group as a whole. If you're trying to say they're not above starting a major conflict you're right. The environment where that might be a more possible outcome may even be fueled by religious extremist

Also it doesn't really matter whether Hitler was an athiest in the context of WW2. He didn't start it over atheism and he wasn't fighting for atheism.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Lol maybe they should focus primarily on the assholes luring 9 year old kids to their deaths instead of the other assholes doing equally reprehensible shit

?

To my surprise, most of them did comment on Tyshawn actually. I don't know if they're out on manhunts for the offenders, but they weren't cool with it at least. Baby steps, maybe an ISIS attack would make them stop shooting at eachother for a moment.

Where are you getting that people follow a religion because it's a cultural thing?
    ....because it is? It's a community thing. Its your neighbors. Its the church you go to, the people you know, the ideals your parents have. It's going around singing christmas carols. Its being circumcized or not. Its values that are passed around.

For most people their holy book isn't something they live by word for word. Its a general guideline set by the community. They're brought together by years/decades/centuries of it being a bonding agent of their area. And religion drives similar groups together to go ive in the same place. Generally your religion isn't initially going to be picked by you by... your parents and the community around you. You can change to something you like better or go atheist when you grow up sure, but what you start with is going to be whats traditional around you.

There's like a thousand variations on Christianity alone. It's not *just* about following things to the letter. Religion isn't "monster cultist brainwashing magic", nor is it an exact guidebook to life tha tmust be obeyed to the letter...

even if that's how its often portrayed in the media, or used by scummy assholes.

Their religion is an influence to them. This is fact. ISIS rules by Sharia law. They refer to themselves as Islamic state. Denying that religion doesn't play a part in their ideology is completely false. It doesn't matter if they can conjure up something to fight about.
    Are you talking about all 1.6 billion Muslims? And all religions everywhere? Or the fringe terrorist hate group ISIS? There's a vast gulf between the two.

The KKK don't represent all of Christianity.

What are you talking about. You don't have to defend it to accomplish any of that. There's no way to stop attacks or villainization. There's already protections against religious discrimination. The people who hate muslims hate them regardless. They'll attack them regardless. It's not like that's legal. They simply use terrorist attacks to justify their hatred.
    Most Americans didn't care a speck about muslims at all until 9/11. It was mostly indifference until we were taught to hate the scary people different than us.

In the same way, we no longer hate the Russians or the Japanese because we've been allies for decades, entire lifetimes.

Hate for other groups is not instinctual. It's *learned*. Be it racism or sexism or religious zealotry... but it is *always* learned.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Because my phone does not cooperate when it comes to posting things I could not quote Taboo and Harzion and shorten them so i'm going to do this.

Taboo = I already read Wikipedia, however it did not stop people from saying he was a Christian. I have seen many arguments about this over in Qura, so I was pointing him out in my own view instead of making this black and white. But you conclude he's Atheist, however I believe you are correct here.

Horizon = Many people cherry picked the bible to cover up the bad things in there however not all people do that. I'm aware about stoning homosexuals; however that is not something we'll do now. I'm fully aware of God's character and how he was seen in a bad light; however I decided to follow him because he has taken care of me and showed me why he behaved that; he suppose to be tough. However your are free to interpret the bible whatever you wish. And yes I'm fully aware of the content in the bible
    Currently writing a book

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...f_Adolf_Hitler

he's atheist AND vegetarian

u can say all you want about WWII and christianity but hitler was definitely an atheist
    https://49.media.tumblr.com/9c10e05d...c36po1_500.gif
    All the evidence we need: can't trust vegetarians.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information