+ Reply to Thread
Page 377 of 892 FirstFirst ... 277 327 367 375 376 377 378 379 387 427 477 877 ... LastLast
Results 7,521 to 7,540 of 17838

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    From what I've heard groups like this one often preach essentially the same values as more traditional religions, only with Lucifer as the head deity. Whether this is a modern take on Satanism or actually an evolution of the older black magic yadda yadda yadda Satanism I don't know. Either way, there's nothing really sinister about them.
    Luciferians usually don't believe Lucifer exist, however, they argue that Lucifer isn't really an evil entity. People who thoroughly believe in Satan while sacrificing people, carving pentagrams and burning churches feel more like a boogeyman for christians than reality. Not even in Norway when they were burning churches I would buy that they worshipped Satan, even if the Black Metal scene is predicated on being a thorn in the side of religious people for shockvalue.

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    What is the population of Brazil like? Is it made up of lots of Catholics so a bill like this would be popular consideration?
    In what way are Catholics particularly more conservative on abortion?

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

In all the ways? Is it no longer considered a sin?

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

MK means in relation to other Christians.

Doesn't that depend on which country you live in? In german speaking countries for example, the catholics are more conservative than the evangelists/protestants.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
    In all the ways? Is it no longer considered a sin?
    As a general rule, any Christian group is more liberal on any given issue than Southern Evangelicals.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    As a general rule, any Christian group is more liberal on any given issue than Southern Evangelicals.
    Southern Evangelicals dont exist in Brazil afaik. The country does have a large and influential Catholic population. A bill that makes abortion access more difficult might pander to a lot of groups in the US but I think in the case of Brazil its specifically pandering to that large Catholic group.

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
    Southern Evangelicals dont exist in Brazil afaik. The country does have a large and influential Catholic population. A bill that makes abortion access more difficult might pander to a lot of groups in the US but I think in the case of Brazil its specifically pandering to that large Catholic group.
    I'm objecting to the notion of people looking at a Catholic population and just automatically going "Oh yeah, definitely conservative" in relation to the assumption that countries being compared are Christian in some regard.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Doesn't that depend on which country you live in? In german speaking countries for example, the catholics are more conservative than the evangelists/protestants.
    Is that entirely true even in Germany? Isn't the most socially conservative part the former East? Which is mostly Protestant?
    (not denying Bavaria etc are conservative mind you)

Ok but the Catholic church's official stance on abortion is very conservative even if it's gotten a bit nicer recently. They're still saying it's a sin, you shouldn't do it, and you have to ask for forgiveness if you make the decision to go through with it. So in the context of his whole statement which is

What is the population of Brazil like? Is it made up of lots of Catholics so a bill like this would be popular consideration? I'm guessing it's like the states where you can have a large percentage of Christians and perhaps some other religions that would mostly be against abortion practices.
    His guess is correct and his reasoning for that guess is solid enough. It would be natural to assume that in a region where Catholicism is popularly practiced that they would adhere to the beliefs of their religion which would mean the church's stance on the issues of abortion would be their stance. He's not even singling out Catholics. He compares it to areas in the US that would be equally supportive of such a measure and have multiple denominations of Christianity present.

I'll admit that my word choice wasn't the best. Just to clear things up, I know that Brazil has a sizable catholic population, which may or may not be the majority. I probably should've asked a separate question about the percent make-up of the religion (which Captain Ugly did tell me directly). I did mean to just ask if this bill was popular because of how much of a religious country it is. Asking if it was because it was between having a Catholic population or like the US being general Christianity groups against it does imply that there is a difference. Sorry for the confusion.

Edit

In other news, Houston just struck down the anti-discrimination bill.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/04/us...smtyp=cur&_r=0

On the one hand, the fact that they used one little part of the proposal to strike the whole thing down is stupid. Taking away all these rights just because of that one small part is not right. You can be against the idea of gay marriage and certain life styles, but the minute you make sure the legal system is against them is going too far. At some point they need to realize that times are changing, and that instead of fighting a pointless battle they should focus on more important things.

Now here's where things get a little tricky, and that's where people's comfort levels come in. I find the argument that men will go into women's bathrooms to be an stupid thing. However, there are other aspects to consider. In a changing room/bathroom, you could have people who feel uncomfortable when a person that looks like the opposite sex is in there. While there is need for transgenders to be able allowed in an area where they feel they belong, there is still the fact that it can cause some discomfort. Then add where Texas is quite conservative, you might have the transgendered person get confronted, because assumptions that a woman in the mens area or vica versa must be transgendered. The only other thought would be for places to have Unisex areas, so those who are comfortable with it can be in that area, and the regular rooms for the others. It could also help with legal implications as well.

That's how I see it at least.
    Last edited by The Franky Tank; November 4th, 2015 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Is that entirely true even in Germany? Isn't the most socially conservative part the former East? Which is mostly Protestant?
    (not denying Bavaria etc are conservative mind you)
    Well, thanks to 40 years of GDR three quarters of the population in East Germany can be described as atheists. The remaining are mostly part of the biggest evangelical church, which is more liberal.
    Conservatives (in terms of politics) are pretty much equally spread in Germany, with Bavaria still leading. You can count Saxony as the Bavaria of East Germany though.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

In other news, Houston just struck down the anti-discrimination bill.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/04/us...smtyp=cur&_r=0

On the one hand, the fact that they used one little part of the proposal to strike the whole thing down is stupid. Taking away all these rights just because of that one small part is not right. You can be against the idea of gay marriage and certain life styles, but the minute you make sure the legal system is against them is going too far. At some point they need to realize that times are changing, and that instead of fighting a pointless battle they should focus on more important things.

Now here's where things get a little tricky, and that's where people's comfort levels come in. I find the argument that men will go into women's bathrooms to be an stupid thing. However, there are other aspects to consider. In a changing room/bathroom, you could have people who feel uncomfortable when a person that looks like the opposite sex is in there. While there is need for transgenders to be able allowed in an area where they feel they belong, there is still the fact that it can cause some discomfort. Then add where Texas is quite conservative, you might have the transgendered person get confronted, because assumptions that a woman in the mens area or vica versa must be transgendered. The only other thought would be for places to have Unisex areas, so those who are comfortable with it can be in that area, and the regular rooms for the others. It could also help with legal implications as well.

That's how I see it at least.
    I think the conservative opposition to this bill knew that simply being mildly uncomfortable with something wasn't reason enough to prevent it, which is why they went to the utter extreme by suggesting that allowing transgender bathrooms somehow puts your daughter and your grandmother at risk of being raped or abducted by a sexual predator. Bathrooms are of course our last sanctuary against such monsters; upon encountering a small female symbol on the door, they'll mutter "drat!" and slink off faster than you can say "Swiper no swiping."

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    I think the conservative opposition to this bill knew that simply being mildly uncomfortable with something wasn't reason enough to prevent it, which is why they went to the utter extreme by suggesting that allowing transgender bathrooms somehow puts your daughter and your grandmother at risk of being raped or abducted by a sexual predator. Bathrooms are of course our last sanctuary against such monsters; upon encountering a small female symbol on the door, they'll mutter "drat!" and slink off faster than you can say "Swiper no swiping."
    I'm completely aware of that fact. When it comes to politics, the best thing that they do is blow things out of proportion to make things seem worse than it actually is. Many probably wanted to keep rights away from them, and this allows them to seem less bigoted. I was talking about the uncomfortable part being how the rights for transgendered people to be in their preferred bathroom can get tricky. Of course that not being part of the bill wouldn't have changed much in the end, as they would've found something else to stick to people as why this couldn't be passed.

Lump of Dirt

I'm transgender myself (Male to Female), and I find it silly with how some people are against transgenders using the bathroom that they identify with. Everyone has their own private stall, so there's nothing really to worry about. Also, I remember reading somewhere that we did not get gender segregated bathrooms till like the 1800s. So, before that everyone shared the same bathroom, and they had no issue at all. Those people that don't want transgenders to use the bathroom are people that don't understand anything about people that are transgenders. And if they are conservative, they are even more afraid of change, and refuse to listen eventhough transgender people have been around for a long time. I just think we should just have unisex bathrooms everywhere, and get rid of the gender segregated bathrooms for good. This also helps with people that don't identity as male or female as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekila View Post
    I'm transgender myself (Male to Female), and I find it silly with how some people are against transgenders using the bathroom that they identify with. Everyone has their own private stall, so there's nothing really to worry about. Also, I remember reading somewhere that we did not get gender segregated bathrooms till like the 1800s. So, before that everyone shared the same bathroom, and they had no issue at all. Those people that don't want transgenders to use the bathroom are people that don't understand anything about people that are transgenders. And if they are conservative, they are even more afraid of change, and refuse to listen eventhough transgender people have been around for a long time. I just think we should just have unisex bathrooms everywhere, and get rid of the gender segregated bathrooms for good. This also helps with people that don't identity as male or female as well.
    Definitely agree with your last part. Unfortunately, it's going to be a long time before that happens. It's been set as segregating sex for a while, and with the way the world is at the moment I don't see that becoming common practice for a while. At least where I've been, I don't see many Unisex bathrooms to begin with. Perhaps a good start would be making those more common, and over time just phase out the old way. As much as I would like to say things are getting better, I struggle saying that these days. Whenever a step is taken forward, it feels like the world then takes more steps backward.

Lump of Dirt

Definitely agree with your last part. Unfortunately, it's going to be a long time before that happens. It's been set as segregating sex for a while, and with the way the world is at the moment I don't see that becoming common practice for a while. At least where I've been, I don't see many Unisex bathrooms to begin with. Perhaps a good start would be making those more common, and over time just phase out the old way. As much as I would like to say things are getting better, I struggle saying that these days. Whenever a step is taken forward, it feels like the world then takes more steps backward.
    Oh, I see. I agree with you on the part with introducing more unisex bathrooms, and phasing out the gender segregated ones out slowly. And I think the world will eventually get to the point where's there's equal rights for everyone. It just takes patience because of some of the bigots out there. But there's progress being made, and everything will get there in due time. The more people get educated on an issue, the more people will understand.

Afaik it's always been kind of a joke that Catholics only have sex to produce kids. Even birth control to them is sinful between a married couple (afaik that's the assumption) so a lot of times they have super large families. So I could see how abortion to them would be twice as bad

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Ekila View Post
    Also, I remember reading somewhere that we did not get gender segregated bathrooms till like the 1800s. So, before that everyone shared the same bathroom, and they had no issue at all. .
    This is a weird thing to argue. Weren't people shitting in out houses? And I don't think people really kept records of that sort of thing back then

Not agreeing or disagreeing with your overall point

Lump of Dirt

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    This is a weird thing to argue. Weren't people shitting in out houses? And I don't think people really kept records of that sort of thing back then

Not agreeing or disagreeing with your overall point
    I know that the Romans had public bathrooms back in their days, and it was unisex. Though that seems like the only time there was something like that. (Had to look it up.) There were others, but it was mostly private bathrooms like you said. I guess the reason I brought it up was because it was never an issue before, so why would it be an issue now type of thing.

Well, National Geographic is dead. Thank you, Rupert Murdoch.
    http://reverbpress.com/business/rupe...aphic-layoffs/

Seriously, can the man die already?

There's always been sickos trying to get into the ladies room. There was some story about a night club recently that had a two way mirror in theirs and there's always some story about someone hiding cameras in dressing rooms and in stalls

I personally like having the ladies room as place I can run and hide if I needed it but I don't want to exclude any trans ladies either. Actually I don't even know if there's always been a law for this sort of thing anyway. I always thought it was on a sort of honor system

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information