+ Reply to Thread
Page 358 of 893 FirstFirst ... 258 308 348 356 357 358 359 360 368 408 458 858 ... LastLast
Results 7,141 to 7,160 of 17849

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

For Florida that's not that surprising. Obviously still awful though.

How about a small bit of happy news:

I don't know how many of you know, but Doritos is currently selling a limited edition rainbow-colored Doritos chips to support the It Gets Better project. You can't get them in stores, they have to be bought online. But dude, rainbow-colored Doritos. Sadly, people are douches as we all know. But a Doritos-loving troll is being genius at responding to them:
    https://www.distractify.com/mariamsh...=17_2&ts_pid=2

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post

I don't know how many of you know, but Doritos is currently selling a limited edition rainbow-colored Doritos chips to support the It Gets Better project. You can't get them in stores, they have to be bought online. But dude, rainbow-colored Doritos. Sadly, people are douches as we all know. But a Doritos-loving troll is being genius at responding to them:
    I wanted to post that a week ago mainly because of all the butthurt from the homophobes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Germny turned former Dachau concentration camp site to house refugees
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/19/the-refugees-who-live-at-dachau

There's some uncomfortable irony to all this.

Random history bits: The artillery battalion of the 442nd Infantry Regiment, entirely consisting of Japanese-Americans, freed the Dachau concentration camp. They were the only Japanese-American battalion to enter Germany.

EDIT: meh, it seems it's an old news. I guess it came up again since they're accepting thousands of new refugees right now.
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; September 23rd, 2015 at 05:30 AM.

The refugee crisis is radically effecting my European country good vibes stock market.

Serbia
    Austria
    Nordic countries

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post

If being okay with gays is grounds for not buying their shit then their lives will just gradually get more and more difficult as time goes by. Like do they expect this whole being gay thing to stop at a certain time in the future or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Germny turned former Dachau concentration camp site to house refugees
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/19/the-refugees-who-live-at-dachau

There's some uncomfortable irony to all this.
    Eh ain't that a good thing. Making a symbol of something bad into something good.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    The refugee crisis is radically effecting my European country good vibes stock market.

Serbia
    Austria
    Nordic countries
    Once Merkel yields to pressure from within we'll probably drop even further.

This whole situation seems like it might be on the cusp of getting violent in some parts.

But then again refugee housing complexes have been set on fire already

Hungary: Hey y'all, I'm currently run by a Putin fanboy and am just possibly still a little traumatized from the 20th century. It's making me feel confused and icky about scary foreigners. I need some serious nation therapy and a new prime minister, yikes.

Denmark: Hey y'all. What's my excuse? Nothin' lol. Fuck the towelheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    It's so insane to jack up the price like that. What's going to happen to the people who were still having trouble just affording what it used to be? Are we going to see another epidemic?

*sigh* It just gets better. http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/thes...han-you-think/
    There are 13 companies selling HIV-antivirals, so it will probably not affect anything except for the given company's customerbase. But still, it's terrifying how psychopaths can assume such high positions.

Speaking of psychopaths on an unrelated note, Chiraq lives up to it's name by having the second bloodiest weekend all year:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...328370651.html

And in the meantime our mayor, who was just elected are blaming rappers who moved to California two years ago. These rappers at the very least have done things to raise awareness and go to anti-violence rallies. It's almost like living a satire.

Complicating things since 2009.

Well if nothing else this shows why education in America isn't all it should be.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...923-story.html

Happy Birthday is public domain.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Well if nothing else this shows why education in America isn't all it should be.
    At a guess, they probably just typed something like Jewish star into image search and grabbed the first result without checking to see what it was.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Yeah, it's a shame the WW2 books in schools aren't picture books that force kids to memorize the exact imagery used for everything? Even though who knows how many decades ago the people involved in airing the image were educated, and where? And I'm sure they know the difference between the Star of David and a Swastika?

This comment is almost as dumb as your one blaming the state of Florida for one really fucked up individual doing something that has no merit being shown or repeated. You know what was lacking? Common sense. The common sense to not just Google "Star of David" and pick a result that looks nice without checking the source. It's a dumb mistake, but not really dumber than your comment. I'd be more inclined to say your post shows why education in America is messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    Yeah, it's a shame the WW2 books in schools aren't picture books that force kids to memorize the exact imagery used for everything? Even though who knows how many decades ago the people involved in airing the image were educated, and where? And I'm sure they know the difference between the Star of David and a Swastika?

This comment is almost as dumb as your one blaming the state of Florida for one really fucked up individual doing something that has no merit being shown or repeated. You know what was lacking? Common sense. The common sense to not just Google "Star of David" and pick a result that looks nice without checking the source. It's a dumb mistake, but not really dumber than your comment. I'd be more inclined to say your post shows why education in America is messed up.
    Really, that's going a bit far.
    I was agreeing with Red for one thing= schooling should have taught them to actually investigate a quote/image/claim before using them ...which falls into the region of common sense.
    I do think he may have worded it better though.

haha i wouldn't have known the image was offensive either right away

when someone said Nazi Symbol, i instantly was like "where's the swastika??"

In Green_vs_Red's defense, making fun of Florida is a time-honored tradition.
    Last edited by y2kyle89; September 23rd, 2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Fark has had a Florida tag for years now
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

The picture we're talking about doesn't even have a swastika in it and most people would just assume it's a simple Star of David and not something that had far worse associations tied to it during the time period it came from.

There is really no excuse for not knowing how offensive that imagery is. Sorry about it.

You'd think that a star of David that said JEW in German would be a massive red-flag.

Florida is actually in fact an incompetent bumbling circus of humanity.

It should be, but people just don't have that, you know, work ethic or integrity to make sure a product is meeting the right standards.

Stuff like that happens. You can improve education all you want, that stuff will still happen, because even with all the good teaching and resources, some idiot will slide through, graduate, get a job, and make a living without ever getting out of the habit of copying and pasting, or failing to think about what they're taking from the internet.

It's inevitable human error.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information