+ Reply to Thread
Page 318 of 893 FirstFirst ... 218 268 308 316 317 318 319 320 328 368 418 818 ... LastLast
Results 6,341 to 6,360 of 17845

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    Lots of history in this page, and quite interesting at that. It's pretty bad that I know very little history of anything, whether it be the country I live in, the state I live in, or the world (I know a good bit of our natural history though).

Any suggestions on good sources for learning history? There's not a particular period or area I'm 100% interested in, so any suggestions would be welcome, whether specific books, documentaries, or just time periods you think I should start with. Thanks, and sorry for the off-topic question.
    I'm a big fan of Hank and John Green's 'Crash Course' channel on youtube. They have 2 series of World History courses where each episode is about 10-15 minutes of very visual and stimulating crash courses in history. The videos are very fun and quite addictive. I mean, this is of course a basic knowledge of history but it's something, you know? There are of course many different documentaries out there, but as a general history course this is something I think you might have an interest in taking a look at to get you started.
    Everything's Eventual...

It's important to start from a good base, and crash course tends to take a very "this is what we think happened, remember that history is full of bias" so I believe that it's a good source.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    I'm a big fan of Hank and John Green's 'Crash Course' channel on youtube. They have 2 series of World History courses where each episode is about 10-15 minutes of very visual and stimulating crash courses in history. The videos are very fun and quite addictive. I mean, this is of course a basic knowledge of history but it's something, you know? There are of course many different documentaries out there, but as a general history course this is something I think you might have an interest in taking a look at to get you started.
    Note that Crash Course, being in 10-15 minute chunks, tends to gloss over some important details and doesn't really give the whole picture. It's a good jumping-off point, yes, but not something you can speak authoritatively about.

Yeah, as I said, I wouldn't call it an in depth history course, but for a beginners guide to get you interested in learning more it serves greatly. By no means do you just watch these videos and think you're a history scholar but you might think, 'Wow I'm really interested in learning more about that specific time in history' and delve into it.
    Everything's Eventual...

Lots of history in this page, and quite interesting at that. It's pretty bad that I know very little history of anything, whether it be the country I live in, the state I live in, or the world (I know a good bit of our natural history though).

Any suggestions on good sources for learning history? There's not a particular period or area I'm 100% interested in, so any suggestions would be welcome, whether specific books, documentaries, or just time periods you think I should start with. Thanks, and sorry for the off-topic question.
    I personally used to start by reading those concise Internationa/National history books, and then branching out from there.

And there are a bunch of fun documentaries up on youtube. Sure you need to sift through the history channel crap, but still.

http://cbs12.com/news/top-stories/st...53.shtml?wap=0

Also I sometimes envy you guys, you like to make hard debates which really boggles my mind and cause me to think twice and I wish I can do the same, scrap that I think I can.
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post

Japan wasn't any kind of colony at all, and the uh time they shoved off Christianity (from Portuguese missionaries centuries before the age of empire) was a literal genocide of native Christian converts so it was really not a good thing. Modern Japanese views on it seem to agree too. I've never seen a positive depiction of the Tokugawa crackdown in any Japanese media anyway. Oda even associated the New Fishman Pirates with it lol.

Land that was French or British claimed/owned but not actually really colonized (except for the New Orleans area oops). So in all reality we were the ones that colonized it when we pushed through. The US also has the Philippines colored in on there, our one and only true experiment with Empire thank god. Though the colonial history there is shared with Spain who had them much longer and left more of an influence culturally (it's why the Philippines are Catholic, and why Filipino-Americans find themselves in this strange zone between identifying as Asian and Latino).
    I never really meant to claim Japan as a colony, I just was comparing the way Westerners always come flagging their Bibles into new territories, colony or no colony.

I don't remember our time in the Philippines being covered much in US history in high school. Maybe that was something they didn't want to discuss, shoved under the rug, so to speak.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    http://cbs12.com/news/top-stories/st...53.shtml?wap=0

Also I sometimes envy you guys, you like to make hard debates which really boggles my mind and cause me to think twice and I wish I can do the same, scrap that I think I can.
    We're a bunch of nerds. It's what we do in our spare time when we're not watching anime/movies/tv or reading manga/comics/books.

The Trumpening continues: Trump's favorability rating among the GOP is only slightly behind Jeb Bush's.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/polltra...orability-poll
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Fifty-seven percent of Republicans now hold a favorable view of Trump, compared to 40 percent who hold an unfavorable view.
    Can someone explain polling math to me? O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    Can someone explain polling math to me? O_o
    Perhaps 3% undecided?

Yeah, that would be the undecided or declined to answer part of the poll.

Now, if it were over 100%, it'd either be because of rounding or because it's CNN.

Or they simply polled people that have mastered Double-Think.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    This is a horrible generalization and borderline incredibly presentist.
    Excuse me if I'm late into this discussion but what did the imperialists and missionaries did right, aside from banning harsh death penalties of ridiculous taboos of some tribes? They just caused only harm. At best the missionaries left the locals alone with their believes and just spread tolerance. Did this happened alot? Big no. All over the world, building churches, putting chlothes on women, teaching the bible was the goal, including condemning polygamy and homosexuality. They were often lucky to find strong patriarchies which would make their mission way easier (see Polynesia). However, point is whenever missionaries or imperialists appeared for just some decades, after that, naturally, christian or muslim believes trickled down in local culture, which happened alot and was, in no way ever, helpful for homosexuals. It only got worse for them.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Re: homosexuality and culture debate - why do all the cool debates gotta happen when I'm on my shift in National Service. :B:/

Re: ridiculous Trump poll - Maths nerd here. ~

But it isn't so much *math* in this case as it is manipulation of numbers a la "lies, damn lies, and statistics".

I remember reading on TVTropes some instance where Fox News had a particularly-facepalm-worthy-even-for-them moment where they had a case where polled respondents for three choices concerning some Republican issue or whatevs actually led to three 'groups' having the proportions like 30%, 40%, 70%. So yeah they didn't bother to make sure it added up to 100%.

What I'm trying to say is: maybe it's the naïvely idealistically Trump-despiser in me talking but I think something similar is happening here with the Trump poll too.
    Last edited by Pachylad; July 15th, 2015 at 04:35 PM. Reason: CURSE YOU PANDAAAAAAAA

What the numbers actually mean is something else. Even a properly conducted poll seems pretty meaningless to me when the sample size is 1000 people and you're trying to slice by ethnicity and political affiliation.

This is just a straight favorability poll though and is less likely to be affected by things like poll manipulation.

Like that Fox News poll you mentioned, that could be a situation where they're reporting the results to be favorable to their position.

So you might have a poll where seventy percent of people support a given thing and thirty don't. Of the seventy percent that support it, forty percent have reservations while thirty don't.

Say that it's the Affordable Care Act. That forty percent might like certain aspects of it and dislike others (for whatever reason; twenty might hate that isn't single-payer while the other half wishes that subsidies were more generous or whatever). So if you're Fox News, you would say that thirty percent supports it and seventy percent of people oppose at least part of it and bury the breakdown somewhere in the fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    The Trumpening continues: Trump's favorability rating among the GOP is only slightly behind Jeb Bush's.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/polltra...orability-poll
    It's official this party is going to hell in a handbasket.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Say that it's the Affordable Care Act. That forty percent might like certain aspects of it and dislike others (for whatever reason; twenty might hate that isn't single-payer while the other half wishes that subsidies were more generous or whatever). So if you're Fox News, you would say that thirty percent supports it and seventy percent of people oppose at least part of it and bury the breakdown somewhere in the fine print.
    Or you could just... :

Start at right now, ask where X came from, and walk backwards from there. Do this continuously forever.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Excuse me if I'm late into this discussion but what did the imperialists and missionaries did right, aside from banning harsh death penalties of ridiculous taboos of some tribes? They just caused only harm.
    Generally speaking they usually were a net favorable for women's rights, at least initially. I will also make the same claim about most communist regimes.
    Also Cambodia was saved from extinction by the French oddly enough. If the French hadn't shown up Cambodia would almost definitely have been uh....completely imperialized by Siam and Vietnam. As it had already been in the process of dying to both of those for a few centuries. France conquering Vietnam and Cambodia and putting Siam in check basically pressed the pause button on the whole region and on the other end things had gotten a lot more Westphalian.
    I mean imperialism was a net bad (much worse in some areas than others cough cough Africa cough), but just making a cartoonish blanket statement almost never works sry.

All over the world, building churches, putting chlothes on women,
    Except when the reverse occurred.
    This is an old style Uzbek burqa. Hint hint.

teaching the bible was the goal, including condemning polygamy and homosexuality.
    Nope it was about this and this.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post

Except when the reverse occurred.
    This is an old style Uzbek burqa. Hint hint.
    Hahaha. You should read Otoyomegatari. It's a manga by the author of Victorian Romance Emma, set on the Silk Road. All about young brides and the traditions of young women in Central Asia, done in VERY good detail. One of the bride stories is a young wife who lives in an Uzbek area with those old burqas, but most of the story is set in the women's bathhouses where the women can strip, relax, and not give a damn since there are no men around. (and yes, this author draws nudity, but the classiest nudes I've seen in manga.)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information