+ Reply to Thread
Page 253 of 855 FirstFirst ... 153 203 243 251 252 253 254 255 263 303 353 753 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,060 of 17081

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Haha, Scientology is taking all the hits lately with the new documentary Going Clear out recently and SNL taking jabs at it too.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/news/sn...040017994.html

Scientology hasn't been in the news this much since that South Park episode.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Italian isn't as bitchy about the spelling vs pronounciation bit, and it sounds smooth.

They obviously take the crown
    Italian far and away.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    Geez, people likes to bombard on Spanish. What's up with that? And how does a language has to be the best?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prismeru
    Jesus Pi Ma Wen, it was a joke. I reckon you and i will never be able to go have a beer together cause you will jump out of a window when i say something like "Pff, get out of here".
    Beign a romance language is already being ranked realy high, no idea wtf you and primersu are complaing about??
    the only reason english has any style at all is because it's like 50% romance (though skeleton is straight germanic)
    fucking germanic languages are all doofy sounding things, or cold and awkward at besst maybe
    dutch sounds like 60's batman sound effex, swedish and them sound like rubber rocks, and german is also known as the black speech of Mordor

you in the fukin country club and you two bitchin about not being as rich as italian??

Everytime i expect less and less of the hang of AP on figure of speeches or even everyday talk and still i get dissapointed*

*I'm not being serious guys. Please don't think i'm even complaining....You're not even here anymore are you?
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Among the highest members of the party during the Tiananmen Square events you had a near 50/50 split between the dudes who were like "Put the fuckers down", and guys who were generally interested in engaging with the students and strikers.
    Oh and in keeping with this theme, and maybe offsetting the "LEE KUAN HEW SYMBOL OF SINO AUTHORITY", Zhao Ziyang has finally been allowed an official burial ten years after his death.
    http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...de-after-death
    Zhao Ziyang existed, and existed within the CCP party structure, and was one of the major movers and shakers who carried out Deng's economic reforms in the 80's.
    And he wasn't even alone in consideration of the protesters concerns.

Here's the leadership of China when Tiananmen happened minus Deng Xiaoping who to his credit was busy directing China from an unceremonious sort of vague non-official position of leader and in that respect helping kill the insane history of leadership cult Mao had used.
    Zhao is the top left. Other dudes who had sympathies with the protests of one sort or another were Hu Qili in the top right, the guy in the top center right and the crazy haired looking dude below him also had sympathies to smaller extents. The top center right guy is Qiao Shi, who made his agenda reform toward rule of law.
    However see the guy in the top center left? That's Li Peng, it's he who represented the conservative factions and the one who supported the crackdown. You can consider it Zhao vs Li, and unfortunately the pendulum in Deng's mind swang toward Li.

Check this article here on internal politics at the time.
    Choice quote.
    The records reveal that if left to their own preferences the three-man majority of the Politburo Standing Committee would have voted to persist in dialogue with the students instead of declaring martial law. At the crucial Politburo Standing Committee meeting of May 17, two of the five members, Zhao Ziyang and Hu Qili, voted against martial law. The third-ranking member, Qiao Shi, abstained. We can see from his remarks that he was not in favor of using force. But Qiao, by abstaining, and Zhao, by offering his resignation, deferred to the elders' decision in favor of martial law.
    I do not believe in the inevitable authoritarianism of China.

china is importat no matter who or where yu are, so they go, so does much of the worlds fate
    if neo-authoritarianism is on the rise, as soon as china doesn't do it it will not be on the rise lol
    if china becomes first world, 1/5 of the world has entered the first world, if they dont fix their pollution we all gonna suffer that issue
    if this all seems exhausting and conmplex its not really so bad,china 20th cnetury fastinating stuff!! Cultural revolution is like a crazy insane movie that couldn't happened but did, the rise in so few years is also cartoonis
    modern china is great thing to be nerd about

also once they get their cultural soft power engine running (which kinda needs the government to be less authoritarian by a lot), imagine what we've seen from japan and sk times a billionb

Cool, thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Also if you guys want some retelling of the china story culturally through 20th century you can check this book. I put on the spanish version cause i don't know if it exists in english but it's a pretty famous author and musician so i reckon it must be (The cultural revolution part still makes my blood boil and shed a few tears). There's also a comic telling through a personal viewpoint by a chinese cartoonist. Let me search it and i will edit it later.

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Life-P...words=li+kunwu

Here it is. There are three volumes. I've never found the second one so i can't really judge the whole serie but from what i've read it's pretty solid.

Edit: ooooh, a review http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...-p-otie-review
    Last edited by Prismeru; April 5th, 2015 at 09:38 PM.
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

Everything's Eventual...

One does wonder how Swedish sounds to foreign ears.

To a Hungarian, it sounds like you're singing all the time. At least, the basic dialect. Finno-Swedish sounds more familiar to our ears (it's like an easier to pronounce-version of Swedish).
    Norwegian sounds like pairing up Swedish and English.
    And Danish still sounds like they're trying to talk with a potato stuck in their throats.

Beautiful in both writing and speaking. However, once swedes begin talking english, that's a different story.

Small but important/funny news: GOP nominee for NC senate is outed as a former drag queen.
    http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/05/05/drag-queen-gop/

"Ohhhh, so you support this anti-gay marrige bill, sir? Tell that to your gay bar friends."

The Ugly never die loneassassin's Avatar
    A solid gold house with a rocket car in front

I'm sorry you so walked into this one.

If you are gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk
    RIP Eli Wallach

3DS Friend Code: 3454-0518-6166

Last edited by project1980; April 6th, 2015 at 11:21 AM.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Hmm....

Guhh, the only thing equally as stupid as the far right is the far left tendency to scream at everything and call it racist, sexist, homophobic or whatever is on the list that day.

Or at least I'm assuming this is the case due to the quality of the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreato View Post
    Hmm....

Guhh, the only thing equally as stupid as the far right is the far left tendency to scream at everything and call it racist, sexist, homophobic or whatever is on the list that day.

Or at least I'm assuming this is the case due to the quality of the piece.
    That article is right wing as heck dude. It's whining about talking about race and quotes Donald fucking Trump.
    “We find it racist, socially damaging and offensive based on the concept that nonstereotypical black people are less their race than others, that hip hop culture is all blacks are supposed to embrace, and that culture and race are one and the same,’’ the petition reads.
    You have to be the absolute most white bread came over on the Mayflower motherfucker around to not understand or have experienced even a smidgeon of the matter of cultural assimilation in regards to generational differences in your family. Which is the whole fuckin' joke and genuine topic of interest that that show (which I barely even watch) is about. But of course, Donald Trump.
    Even random white Southerners probably these days could relate to "Hm I sure seem to talk with more of a general American accent than my parents and their parents" or whatever.
    The show isn't damning anyone lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    That article is right wing as heck dude. It's whining about talking about race and quotes Donald fucking Trump.
    I can see what you're getting at, but this reads far too much like any of the hundreds upon hundreds of Tumblr blogs, posts, ect that go on and on about "cultural appropriation".

But I guess that's where horseshoe theroy applies.

The article was posted in the New York Post, so there's pretty much no way it'll be far left

The legacy of "Doom Paul" shall live on.

Didn't we have a huge Ron Paul fan on the board during the last elections?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information