+ Reply to Thread
Page 252 of 855 FirstFirst ... 152 202 242 250 251 252 253 254 262 302 352 752 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,040 of 17081

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Yeah that's the other part of the China story.
    In East Asia the process has seen three stories.
    1:Japan: When revived after WW2 as a democracy Japan found immense success.
    2:SouthKorea/Taiwan: Built their current first world status during periods of results oriented authoritarianism, but as they became middle class reforms happened and resulted in democracies (though in very different ways).
    3:China/Singapore: Authoritarian or at least benign one party rule for the latter building up results oriented success.

Couldn't China just be walking the road walked by South Korea or Taiwan? Eventual democracy when things economically stabilize broadly enough? South Korea protested and rocked the boat until it's leaders gave in, and in Taiwan's case the leaders began reforms themselves. China could go both ways couldn't it?

There's some errors and flaws in that post, but I think the basic idea isn't wrong. And it a nice way to counterbalance the idea that INDIA IS EVIDENCE DEMOCRACY SUCKS, CHINA IS EVIDENCE AUTHORITARIANISM ROCKS. China is a politically historical idea, India has only ever been geographical aside from a few instances.
    It's also a bit odd when you consider pieces of the India region have been variously broken off in the independence process and seen wildly different fates.

Nepal: Absolute shithole that is quite quite backwards even for the region, ruled by a deeply conservative monarchy that eventually fell apart.
    Bangladesh: Seething mass of people on terrible geography.
    Pakistan: So you break off from India on religious grounds, but retain the ethnic instability
    Sri Lanka: Defying the entire region and their own 25 year civil war, a success that might become first world in our lifetimes or even the next 20 years. Seriously, they're about as nice a place as Mexico is. Which for South Asia is INCREDIBLE.

Soooo the picture there is like...if the Indian states became independent would it even work? The pieces that broke off show such wildly different stories. Some would probably thrive, some would fall apart. So break up India and you'd bless some, and hurt others.
    The states won't survive the massive financial debts it owes the central govt and dependant on for providing even the basic commodities. Many of the commodities are widely subsidized ever since the independance and the green revolution by the central government which has continually burnt their pockets (denting progress in other vital projects) and unwittingly prevented the states from going autonomous. There is also very less motivation to do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusGuy View Post
    Tamil Nadu would be fine, because it's already a mostly homogenous state with a sucessful economy. Some northeastern states would probably join with Burma, so they'd be okay.

The rest would be a mess. Any breakup of India would cause many wars and result in enormous ethnic cleansing.
    The southern states got pretty much no reason to consider breaking up from the country apart from the differences in ideology and random state nationalism. Albeit the numerous amount of religious clashes that has been signified in the media (aided by an over sensationalism by the media too), the south has quite a lot of peaceful states as compared to their northern counterparts. Ethnic cleansing as I see it now can only occur between the majority hindu nationalistic groups against muslims and other religions if the leaders are idiotic enough to pursue such actions or support it. Thankfully the big guys are still a bit cautious till date to avoid any major backslash from the foreign leaders. RSS and some other right wing hindu fundamentalists can easily pursue fascism if not for the steady scrutiny of media and the PM keeping them in check. North eastern maoists and other rebels have been contained enough to not make them get involved in any significant uprising. So yes, statewise wars inside India is far from being a possibility than a religious uprising.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Instead of states, what if India downsized and split along the Indo-European/Dravidian border?
    Not sure the Indo-Europeans would be thrilled, the Dravidians would probably be happy though.
    Although there is a lot of love-hate relationshil between the north/south sects, India is a lot dependant on the southern dravidian states due to the IT and manufacturing boom complimentd by the state govts' business friendly atmosphere. They would panic if states wanted to split up but its close to impossible. Also, due to the IT boom from the early 2000's north and south have pretty much mixed quite well and cultures have beem adopted breaking old stereotypical traditions. Its far from being chaotic.
    “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Quote Originally Posted by Prismeru View Post
    http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/specia...750_reform.htm

Saying they never got anywhere is kinda losing a lot of what happened.
    They never got anywhere.
    The Qing dynasty was stubbornly conservative all the way up to the Xinhai revolution no matter how many Prince Gong's and intellectuals tried to complain about it.
    The political reforms were failures in that they tried to reform the monarchy, which didn't really work, and then the monarchy was overthrown outright.
    The military reforms were uh....do you want me to post all the major battles of the first Sino-Japanese war so we can all do collective spittakes at the grossly lopsided fatalities of each and every single one?
    And then the cherry on top of the Boxer Rebellion where China essentially just looses it's mind at all the trauma caused by foreign powers, and it's own stagnant puttering government and then gets collectively bitchslapped by all the powers for it.
    And was it the white guys that made it worst? Oh no no no. Because Japan, little baby backwards island fawning vassal state Japan, had now become stronger, more modernized, and more regionally relevant than CHINA.
    Imagine if say...Guatemala suddenly rocketed to far greater riches and technology than you and then completely and inarguably kicked your ass and took the whole Yucatan. Now multiply that sense of "wtf" and national shame by five thousand.

Ask pretty much any Chinese person about the 19th century up to the Xinhai in the 20th and they'll just bury their face in their hands and groan.

They never got anywhere.
    The Qing dynasty was stubbornly conservative all the way up to the Xinhai revolution no matter how many Prince Gong's and intellectuals tried to complain about it.
    The political reforms were failures in that they tried to reform the monarchy, which didn't really work, and then the monarchy was overthrown outright.
    The military reforms were uh....do you want me to post all the major battles of the first Sino-Japanese war so we can all do collective spittakes at the grossly lopsided fatalities of each and every single one?
    And then the cherry on top of the Boxer Rebellion where China essentially just looses it's mind at all the trauma caused by foreign powers, and it's own stagnant puttering government and then gets collectively bitchslapped by all the powers for it.
    And was it the white guys that made it worst? Oh no no no. Because Japan, little baby backwards island fawning vassal state Japan, had now become stronger, more modernized, and more regionally relevant than CHINA.
    Imagine if say...Guatemala suddenly rocketed to far greater riches and technology than you and then completely and inarguably kicked your ass and took the whole Yucatan. Now multiply that sense of "wtf" and national shame by five thousand.

Ask pretty much any Chinese person about the 19th century up to the Xinhai in the 20th and they'll just bury their face in their hands and groan.
    "I'm not affirming it was a succesfel or devoid of problems movement of reforms. I am only pointing towards a movement in history that can be used as an example of a movement that had democracitic tendencies of some sort"[1]

A big (sic) for all the typos lol. I would say i had to write "just Saying they never got anywhere is kinda losing a lot of what happened." But yeah, something is really lost in there and i don't even know anymore, lol. I mean, i think the editor lets me remark parts of the post in red.

[1]Vid. Previous post in the disclaimer right before i gave up on life. Jeezus.
    Last edited by Prismeru; April 5th, 2015 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Why are even white guys mentioned? lol
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

Why are even white guys mentioned? lol
    Because predominately European powers smashed China all together to put down the Boxer Rebellion. But the one that hurt the most was Japan being part of that too.

Here have a funny picture of average soldiers from each nation that punched China's dick, also including a British Raj trooper for the heck of it.
    Look at how much taller Americans and Brits were than everyone else back then lol.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...iance_1900.jpg

L-R: Brit, American, Australia, British Raj, Germany, France, Austria-Hungary, Italy, Japan
    Last edited by Monkey King; April 5th, 2015 at 10:11 AM.

So El país has an interesting article (even if succint) of how the media gives a lot of coverage to some tragedies and only skim others. Of course, they do this referencing the Univeristy Massacre of a few days back (Some photos of it have come up but holy shit i'm not linking those :( too horrible). Of course, you guys can't read spanish (Jesus, get on schedule guys :p ) but the article references some old articles that talk about this phenomena. I'm linking all.

http://verne.elpais.com/verne/2015/0...00_147673.html (learn Spanish guys, a recent study says we are the happiest language :p )

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...istics/380898/

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ica-drc-horror

So El país has an interesting article (even if succint) of how the media gives a lot of coverage to some tragedies and only skim others. Of course, they do this referencing the Univeristy Massacre of a few days back (Some photos of it have come up but holy shit i'm not linking those :( too horrible). Of course, you guys can't read spanish (Jesus, get on schedule guys :p ) but the article references some old articles that talk about this phenomena. I'm linking all.

http://verne.elpais.com/verne/2015/0...00_147673.html (learn Spanish guys, a recent study says we are the happiest language :p )

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...istics/380898/

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ica-drc-horror
    Spanish can't even win "Best Romance Language", how you gonna act like you're the world champion?

Spanish can't even win "Best Romance Language", how you gonna act like you're the world champion?
    Jesus Pi Ma Wen, it was a joke. I reckon you and i will never be able to go have a beer together cause you will jump out of a window when i say something like "Pff, get out of here".

Also, the third link has graphic descriptions (some people here faint when they see that) but they are descriptions of something that really happened.
    Last edited by Prismeru; April 5th, 2015 at 10:28 AM. Reason: I don't even know why i say Jesus so much. i'm not even Christian or Catholic.

Italian isn't as bitchy about the spelling vs pronounciation bit, and it sounds smooth.

They obviously take the crown

Damn Zephos is having a ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

There's a reason my grandpa left China. Or several reasons.

German for most fun language to be angry in

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    Doubles as the least sexy language ever

You are probably right.

Geez, people likes to bombard on Spanish. What's up with that? And how does a language has to be the best?
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

I really don't think MK was taking it that seriously...

His response was equivalent to rebutting a claim on who the most handsome guy in the world was. It's just banter, lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I swear I wanted to learn Spanish because it's soooo prevalent here in the U.S. but it hasn't worked out for me. I'm just going to leave it up to my future kids.
    Everything's Eventual...

I thought writing about how he would jump out of a window was a sure sign of not taking it seriously.

After curbstomping Brazil in the World Cup why be angry anymore?
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post

You are probably right.
    Goddamn this is a forgotten youtube gem. B

Everything sounds so ominous.

rainbows, kittens, candy, puppies, Christmas, cartoons (English)
    Regenbogen, Süßigkeiten, Kätzchen, Welpen, Weihnachten, Karikaturen (German)
    Complicating things since 2009.

Everything sounds so ominous.
    Look at their fairy tales.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information