+ Reply to Thread
Page 171 of 893 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 169 170 171 172 173 181 221 271 671 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 17857

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Woah, when did I get involved? I never said that to my recollection. This is slander
    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Damn I must've really dropped the ball to have Wagomu given credit for that instead.
    Every once in a blue moon, I'll click Reply with Quote and it'll throw in a few random quotes from the last time I used the Multi-Quote feature. I just weed out the others but didn't pay close enough attention to who was what.
    Complicating things since 2009.

To be fair, I slander Wags all the time, so it's not like it's uncommon for him.

Slander is spoken; in print, it's libel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Every once in a blue moon, I'll click Reply with Quote and it'll throw in a few random quotes from the last time I used the Multi-Quote feature. I just weed out the others but didn't pay close enough attention to who was what.
    Nice to have a laugh at one of our mistakes every now and again though I liked the Rodney Kung bit from the day before a bit better.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Slander is spoken; in print, it's libel.
    This is true. But do not be mistaken. He receives both.

I just go up to random people on the street and tell them what a piece of crap Wagomu is.

Ha, it quoted Wagomu again when I hit Reply with Quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I liked the Rodney Kung bit from the day before a bit better.
    I blame that one on the smartphone and not noticing it until hours later. Little point in fixing it at that point.

Stay foxy out there! Kitsune Inferno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    How about a bit of funny to lighten up all the shit going around here? Like a news caster who just found out what a Furry is and runs out of the news room?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...ushpmg00000063

(has to do with the recent gas attack at a Furry convention that left 19 injured)
    I've been amused with the media coverage of this event because like every other article I've read on the attack has spent like most of it explaining what furries "are", as if it's somehow relevant to the fact that people were GASSED. (Well, I suppose it is, but still.)

I'm trying to be a good sport about it though. It irritates me that this is pretty much pulling stereotypes up from underneath the woodwork.

A convention center was just gassed with chlorine and 19 people had to go to the hospital blah, blah, blah, but what about those FURRIES HUH!?
    Everything's Eventual...

Yeah, I really have to avoid looking at news covering that, or more specifically, being foolish enough to look at any comments. (Granted that should always hold true, but especially so here). I mean, honestly, I can understand people finding the whole 'furry' thing a little strange, and I'd even be the first to admit that watching people evacuate the building in all these different animal suits is incredibly surreal, just for the juxtaposition of deadly serious reality with whimsical fantasy.

All that said, one of my closest friends was at that event, and actually got some of the brunt of it, from what I understand. I have no idea if she's counted among the 19 -- if anything, I assume not, because she declined an ambulance and didn't go to the hospital -- but when evacuating from the 9th floor, she ended up going down the very staircase at the top of which the chlorine was. For those that don't know, chlorine is a heavy gas, so it sinks. Basically, in the process of trying to get out, she was going deeper and deeper into it. Evidently she was starting to feel the effects pretty badly, including tunneling vision, when she was only on the 7th floor. She told me she honestly thought she might die there.

She's okay now, more or less, as of last time I talked to her. But hearing about that was absolutely horrifying for me. So I think it's pretty obvious why comments of the sort I never much care for in the first place are especially grating to me, like ones along the lines of 'lol only 19 they need to try harder next time', and 'who cares, it's not like they're people'. (Comments paraphrased, but I have seen multiple ones legitimately along those lines).

I'll tell you what, friend. Allow me to grant you your implicit point that some humans aren't really 'people'; it's not the ones that enjoy dressing up as animals that disqualify themselves, I'll tell you that much. I'd also suggest you look in a mirror sometime.

Malala and Satyarthi received the Nobel Prize

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2...127564166.html

Also a mexican with a flag with blood appeared at the ceremony. I'm so sorry guys but we really want to dennounce our government. But yeah, i'm sorry for that.

edit: And to the ones asking how did the guy get there....well, we're kinda everywhere lol.

https://twitter.com/H1T3K/status/542714172296142848

A picture of the guy.

I'll try to upload later the speech of both winners (well, when they are available).
    Last edited by Prismeru; December 10th, 2014 at 09:18 AM.
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    A convention center was just gassed with chlorine and 19 people had to go to the hospital blah, blah, blah, but what about those FURRIES HUH!?
    Yeah, the fact that the police are treating it as an intentional act is kinda being downplayed here.

Yeah, the fact that the police are treating it as an intentional act is kinda being downplayed here.
    The police are in fact taking it seriously but some media outlets and regular viewers? They're acting like it's some sort of...joke.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    The police are in fact taking it seriously but some media outlets and regular viewers? They're acting like it's some sort of...joke.
    Exactly; imagine the reaction if this had happened at a concert or football game.

Exactly; imagine the reaction if this had happened at a concert or football game.
    It would've probably been called a terrorist attack by many right off the bat or at least speculated. The feds would get involved and every stadium across the country would increase their security to show they're taking the situation very seriously. People would be scared. Reasonable responses to a degree but a drastic difference from what just happened here.
    Everything's Eventual...

Didn't find the acceptance speech (still isn't up i guess) This one isn't the speech

But hey, have MLK Jr. acceptance speech while were at it:
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

"Hey, I have a great idea. Let's advocate renewable energy to the world leaders meeting in Peru by damaging millennia old geoglyphs."
    Great job Greenpeace, especially on the, "We are sorry you are offended" type apology. Really made your point hit home. /s/
    NPR
    BBC
    Last edited by Blagtastic; December 11th, 2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: missing word

"We're sorry that we were just trying to raise awareness about hope!"

No justice, no greenpeace.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Ummm . . . . in cooler news they found a time capsule buried by Sam Adams and Paul Revere!
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/11/us/bos...rebar_facebook

Boston is super excited. And why shouldn't we be?

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Ummm . . . . in cooler news they found a time capsule buried by Sam Adams and Paul Revere!
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/11/us/bos...rebar_facebook

Boston is super excited. And why shouldn't we be?
    "Guys don't reclaim land from the water! Eventually it will all sink! Please read this message asap and don't put in a time capsule, love Sam and Paul"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information