+ Reply to Thread
Page 161 of 893 FirstFirst ... 61 111 151 159 160 161 162 163 171 211 261 661 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 17845

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote from an actual lawyer so loneassassin can stop playing the valiant devils advocate

http://31.media.tumblr.com/e64ec17bc...qaxo1_1280.jpg

On the other hand (not Ted "Holy shit boy you make eugenics sound pausible to me"):

http://uproxx.com/smokingsection/201...uson-decision/

Transcript if you don't want to click:

“I would like to say Rest in Peace to Michael Brown. I would like to give all thoughts and prayers to the people out there peacefully protesting. I also give thoughts and prayers to the people who could not hold their anger in because riots are only the language of the unhold. We usually come on to Queen’s ‘Champion’, but I just got to tell you today, no matter how much we do it, no matter how much we get shit together, shit comes along and kicks you on your ass. Tonight, I got kicked on my ass when I heard that prosecutor. You motherf*ckers got me today, I knew it was coming when Eric Holder decided to resign. You motherf*ckers got me today. You kicked me on my *ss today, because I have a 20-year-old son and a 12-year-old son, and I’m so afraid for them today.
    “When I stood on the bus, and I cried, and I hugged my friend, I said, ‘these motherf*ckers got me today.’ When I stood in front of my wife, and I cried like a baby, I said, ‘these motherfuckers got me today. You motherf*ckers will not own tomorrow, we will not bend to your fear, we will not accept your pain, we are not going to keep playing that race card, because we know you don’t value my skin. We know you do value his (El-P), but we’re friends and nothing is going to devalue that.
    “There was no peace in my heart and I wanted to walk out to ‘Burn This Motherf*cker Down’. But I got to tell you, I’m from Atlanta, Georgia, something said, ‘Just look for something [Martin Luther King Jr.] might have said,’ so I googled Martin King and Wikipedia popped up, and he was 39 years old when you motherf*ckers killed him. He was the same age as I am, the same age as [El-P]. He was a young man when you killed him.
    “But I can promise you today: If I die when I walk off this stage tomorrow, I’ll let you know this: it is not about race, it is not a class, it’s not about color, it’s about what they killed him for. It’s about poverty, it’s about greed, and it’s about a war machine. It’s about a war machine that uses you. So as I go tomorrow, I might go the day after, the one thing I want you to know is that it’s us against the motherf*cking machine!”

It reminded me of a translation i did for a cultural log i have with some friends (yeah, a plug cause i'm a horrible person) where i translated some excerpts about pacific protests of a interview that playboy did to MLK. I leave both links:

http://terrar.io/2013/09/martin-luth...a-no-violenta/

https://holygypsy.wordpress.com/2009...boy-interview/
    Last edited by Prismeru; November 25th, 2014 at 12:12 PM.
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismeru View Post
    http://uproxx.com/webculture/2014/11...facebook-post/

You guys sure do have some interesting famous people.
    Ted Nugent is a total rancid piece of shit, this is nothing new.
    He's fashioned himself into a Tea Party icon years ago.

Complicating things since 2009.

No surprise there. No surprise at all. I'm not even surprised that he somehow found his way onto the jury.
    Everything's Eventual...

A gem from the ABC News Interview with Darren Wilson.

Would you have done things differently?

Wilson: No.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Ted Nugent is a total rancid piece of shit, this is nothing new.
    He's fashioned himself into a Tea Party icon years ago.
    Isn't he supposed to be dead or in prison?
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; November 25th, 2014 at 02:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    No surprise there. No surprise at all. I'm not even surprised that he somehow found his way onto the jury.
    That's a misconception due to the headline being horribly phrased. He was simply a witness.

Speaking of of the jury, for all that Lone is going to be a legal scholar, I have to question if he even understands the distinction between a Grand Jury and a trial jury. It was not the job of the Grand Jury to determine whether the officer was guilty or not, but only, as the message Taboo linked indicated, whether there was probable cause. Honestly, I can't say I have any idea whether the officer would have been, or even should have been, found guilty had he gone to trial. However, by all accounts, the fact that he will never even go to trial is a travesty.

I'd say a lot of the problem with the whole situation is the prosecution presented it as if there was a trial and he was declared innocent. A lot of the material presented usually never comes up in grand jury hearings.

I've never read a single thing that set off as many bullshit detectors as this.
    http://www.vox.com/2014/11/25/728116...ons-story-side

The teenage boy seeing that the gunshot had just missed him then lunged back through the car window.

Quote Originally Posted by springsring View Post
    I've never read a single thing that set off as many bullshit detectors as this.
    http://www.vox.com/2014/11/25/728116...ons-story-side
    Was there any reports of the officer having injuries? Anything suggesting that he was punched? I surely don't remember anything suggesting that, but in that "report" he says Brown approached him -while he was in his car- and started to punch him. So there should have been a report of the officer's injuries ..even if it was the slightest thing ... if it was true.

But I don't remember anything said about the officer getting punched, just that Brown was not armed when the officer claimed he was shooting in self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Was there any reports of the officer having injuries? Anything suggesting that he was punched? I surely don't remember anything suggesting that, but in that "report" he says Brown approached him -while he was in his car- and started to punch him. So there should have been a report of the officer's injuries ..even if it was the slightest thing ... if it was true.

But I don't remember anything said about the officer getting punched, just that Brown was not armed when the officer claimed he was shooting in self-defense.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6216208.html

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    The teenage boy seeing that the gunshot had just missed him then lunged back through the car window.
    "When he stopped, he turned, looked at me, made like a grunting noise and had the most intense, aggressive face I've ever seen on a person. When he looked at me, he then did like the hop...you know, like people do to start running. And, he started running at me. During his first stride, he took his right hand put it under his shirt into his waistband. And I ordered him to stop and get on the ground again. He didn't. I fired multiple shots. After I fired the multiple shots, I paused a second, yelled at him to get on the ground again, he was still in the same state. Still charging, hand still in his waistband, hadn't slowed down."
    "And when I grabbed him, the only way I can describe it is I felt like a five-year-old holding onto Hulk Hogan.”
    I feel like I'm reading some racist 4chan copypasta.

If anybody wants a respite from having their faith in humanity utterly eliminated then Arkansas' and Mississippi's gay marriage bans were struck down today. http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...e-bans-n256316

So here's how the map is looking.

If I understand the key properly, dark blue means gay marriage is legal, light blue is basically limited stay for a higher court to respond, tan is an indefinite stay, and red is banned.

That other blue stripe in Missouri means that they recognize marriages from other states.
    Last edited by Ubiq; November 25th, 2014 at 10:12 PM.

Haha! I always figured it would be legal for gay people to marry everywhere in the U.S. in the next five years, but I have to admit I always expected my state to either be last or in the last batch! Pretty surreal to actually see it light-blue now.

And....the statement on the news site has a person pretty much saying the same thing.

Edit: Well, I hope it leads that way which it looks like!

From the statement, I thought he was saying that Brown was hitting him pretty badly. That comment of him being in the car when Brown punched him, it made me think he got punched in the face. After all, being punched through a car window limits where a punch can land.
    But those pics... he's lookin good for such a getting such a beating. Well lets say this, I've punched my sister before in a fight, and she looked worse than that cop.

Given, the cheek does look like it may be bruised.

But the back of the neck? My neck once looked like that ... after a too close a shave at the nape of the neck. That what it looks like, a rash from razor burn not a fight.

Even if it was too soon for bruises to show, it would have swelled .. esp in the jaw area.

http://jetgreguar.tumblr.com/post/10...-so-angry-when

A good collection of all the evidence to help anyone who still doesn't think the Ferguson stuff is a massive miscarriage of justice, or more specifically, to help give people something to point to when assholes refuse to accept it, as well as some other stuff like the protesters themselves

Maybe Ferguson and México police and judicial departments work closely. The students here that are being accused of terrorism under the excuse they referred to each other as "mates". Yes, that's not a joke. They are being accused of being part of a dangerous organization cause people say they called each other "compas" (Mate is the nearest equivalent i can think of).

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americ...737378371.html

A contigent of people tried to make another protest today. They were intimidated by a police into a house :/ Of course, no english source on it.
    Last edited by Prismeru; November 25th, 2014 at 11:14 PM.
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

ProPublica recently did an in-depth analysis and found that black kids between ages 15-19 are 21 times more likely to be shot and killed by cops than white kids of the same age. That's an insane statistic. That's per capita, not total. If you are a black teenage boy, you have a 21x higher risk of being shot by police than a white teenage boy.

Also, in 2010, federal prosecutors took 162,000 cases to a grand jury. You know how many DIDN'T go to trial? Six.

Police have a hard job. What they do is something I couldn't ever do. But you know what they rarely have? Accountability. In this case, the prosecutor, Robert McCulloch, always gets indictments — unless it's a cop. He's had five cop-involved killing cases and zero indictments. Again, five cases against police haven't made it to trial at all. He could get an indictment if he wanted one.

So... yeah.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Well there are certain exceptions.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/26...ot-by-officer/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information