+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 892 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 515 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 17840

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

  1. #281

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I'm a republican because I want instant toddler like gratification of a problem with zero attention paid to blowback down the line or even immediate blowback.
    Is apparently what the RNC wants to communicate with that message.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    "haha, consequences? lol, just do whatever"
    -literally the Bush years

  2. #282

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    John Oliver responds:



    Also, Michigan's gay marriage ban is dead.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  3. #283

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    The videos are cringeworthy, and the first one (the one from your post) is a downright lie. All of the above is the policy of both parties.

    But holy mother of God, does this piece strawman the shit out of those videos.

  4. #284

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by cooldud View Post
    But holy mother of God, does this piece strawman the shit out of those videos.
    Only if you're really unfamiliar with visual shorthand and the whole concept of the various American generations. That's all supposed to be implicit as much by the people who made the videos as by the article. Much as the other times you've awkwardly stuck your face in local politics under the mistaken assumption that you know it well because you go to college here.

  5. #285
    Still Trong Print Error's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Near London, UK

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Is that really such a unique American thing? We have pretty much the same debates over Millenials here, and the Tories have already tried similar generational approaches even if without hipsters - which almost no-one is buying because they are consistently screwing over anyone under 30, burning the bridges they themselves crossed.

    "I'm a Republican because it's ironic".
    moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

  6. #286
    Mumblecore Gliblord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    JET-setting in 上山、山形

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Like Rome would EVER let them secede.

  7. #287

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Print Error View Post
    Is that really such a unique American thing? We have pretty much the same debates over Millenials here, and the Tories have already tried similar generational approaches even if without hipsters - which almost no-one is buying because they are consistently screwing over anyone under 30, burning the bridges they themselves crossed.

    "I'm a Republican because it's ironic".
    I'm not sure our concepts of Millenials are exactly the same given we're a product of an echo boom in population, and have really been wielding an outsized impact on the country in terms of votes and work (or lack thereof) as we keep reaching maturity.

  8. #288

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliblord View Post
    Like Rome would EVER let them secede.
    Yeah not like it's a real thing. Just amusing to see all the places who want to secede.

    We've (Sweden that is) got our south end and north end who either want to be more continental or more rural respectivly.

    And Finland's got their little Swedish island that just loves to give them the finger lol

  9. #289

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Know what we should do? Dig up enough land from Skåne and Tavastia and fill the entire Gulf of Bothnia with it.

    Then let Skåne and Norrland/Lapland secede and form a personal union between what's remaining of Sweden and Finland and just be the best country the world has ever seen. Share the good and the bad so the good things spread everywhere and the problems get evened out, and we'd be set for decades.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

  10. #290
    Mumblecore Gliblord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    JET-setting in 上山、山形

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    If Skåne doesn't pipe down they're gonna take the little circle right off that "a"

  11. #291

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    There should be a seperate UN for the wanna-be nations that are being bullied into staying apart of the big nations.

    Like a support group for 'em lol

  12. #292

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Let Catalunya be part of Spain for a little while more (unless they decide to have laxer immigration policies).
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  13. #293

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Only if you're really unfamiliar with visual shorthand and the whole concept of the various American generations. That's all supposed to be implicit as much by the people who made the videos as by the article. Much as the other times you've awkwardly stuck your face in local politics under the mistaken assumption that you know it well because you go to college here.
    No, you assume that I only comment about your "local" politics because I think I know it well. I do not, and I'm the first person to admit that. It's only awkward to you because it does not sit with your narrative.

    About this, I only remarked on the piece because I felt the article read much more into the video without it needing to. John Oliver gave a fairly good response keeping the subtext of the original videos intact. My point was that there was enough in the subject matter of the videos to criticise without even delving into the subtext.

    But yeah. I guess I'll keep my face out of your politics. No matter if I pay taxes only in your country and how much your country's fiscal policy affects my account statement. No matter if your country's immigration policy affects my ability to ever get a job here.

  14. #294

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by cooldud View Post
    No, you assume that I only comment about your "local" politics because I think I know it well. I do not, and I'm the first person to admit that. It's only awkward to you because it does not sit with your narrative.
    What doesn't sit with the narrative? The narrative? Or the narrative about the narrative?
    Everything here is a narrative.
    The entire point of ads like that is being a narrative.

    About this, I only remarked on the piece because I felt the article read much more into the video without it needing to. John Oliver gave a fairly good response keeping the subtext of the original videos intact. My point was that there was enough in the subject matter of the videos to criticise without even delving into the subtext.
    See that's the problem with you here. Calling a strawman what you don't know well enough to understand the subtext of. Throwing strawman accusations out all willy nilly to the extent of denying subtext is dangerously point missing. And would require someone REALLY well inclined to the subject to even pull off.

  15. #295

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    What doesn't sit with the narrative?
    My comments questioning the attack strategy of a liberal writer against a conservative advertisement do not sit with your narrative of "Lol old white men and faceless corporations are so out of touch with my generation and what we want!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    See that's the problem with you here. Calling a strawman what you don't know well enough to understand the subtext of. Throwing strawman accusations out all willy nilly to the extent of denying subtext is dangerously point missing. And would require someone REALLY well inclined to the subject to even pull off.
    And the problem with you is your assumptions about my knowledge make it pointless to discuss anything with you.

    I'll just bow out of this discussion now before you launch into another tirade. And I'll be mindful of not interfering in your "local" politics on this board.

  16. #296
    Lost in Traslation Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    "A court in Egypt convicted 529 supporters of ousted Islamist President Mohammed Morsi and sentenced them to death on charges of murdering a policeman and attacking police in one of the largest mass trials in the country in decades. ..."

    more quotation from site that gives some view of the situation

    ==="The majority of the defendants were tried in absentia while more than 150 stood trial in unprecedentedly rushed hearings that lasted only two days. Sixteen suspects were acquitted.

    The verdicts — and the extremely harsh sentences — are likely to be overturned on appeal, rights lawyers said after the trial ended in the city of Minya, north of Cairo.

    "This is way over the top and unacceptable," said attorney Mohammed Zarie, who heads a rights center in Cairo. "It turns the judiciary in Egypt from a tool for achieving justice to an instrument for taking revenge."

    "This verdict could be a precedent both in the history of Egyptian courts and perhaps, tribunals elsewhere in the world," he added.

    The mass nature of the trial testifies to the determination of Egypt's military-backed government to break the Muslim Brotherhood group and leave no room for political reconciliation with the country's largest Islamist bloc, from which Morsi hails. ===

  17. #297

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/elen...ontrol-mandate

    Nice of Kagan to do that, but the whole scenario is a pretty good illustration of why Scalia shouldn't be on the Court; he clearly lets his own political beliefs override anything else.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  18. #298
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Today is Gloria Steinem's 80th birthday. Happy Birthday to the glorious alumna of my alma mater, and the most amazing feminist evar!!!

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/25/ways-gloria-steinem-taught-us-to-be-better-women_n_5022031.html


    Edit: That being said, I am shocked, SHOCKED, that there is no Google doodle for her today. There are Google doodles for all these random yet culturally/historically significant people and they don't have a doodle for GLORIA STEINEM? WTF Google?
    Last edited by Satsuki; March 25th, 2014 at 09:39 PM.

  19. #299
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Today is Gloria Steinem's 80th birthday. Happy Birthday to the glorious alumna of my alma mater, and the most amazing feminist evar!!!

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/25/ways-gloria-steinem-taught-us-to-be-better-women_n_5022031.html


    Edit: That being said, I am shocked, SHOCKED, that there is no Google doodle for her today. There are Google doodles for all these random yet culturally/historically significant people and they don't have a doodle for GLORIA STEINEM? WTF Google?
    I must confess I haven't heard of this woman till now, but reading through these points I want to learn more about her.
    I need to make posters and throw them onto my wall~


  20. #300
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    I must confess I haven't heard of this woman till now, but reading through these points I want to learn more about her.
    I need to make posters and throw them onto my wall~
    *twitchtwitch* No, it's okay. She's a really, really important feminist activist of the 20th century who deserves to be learned about.

    You can learn more about her here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Steinem
    http://www.gloriasteinem.com/
    http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/i...asp?indid=1813

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts