+ Reply to Thread
Page 113 of 893 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 111 112 113 114 115 123 163 213 613 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 17845

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

  1. #2241

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Same-sex marriage stuff makes me really wary the more it unfolds, because our communities have way more pressing issues at hand than gay marriage and a lot of gay activists have nothing but tunnel vision for it (and gay community is pretty shitty to bisexual and trans people in general so of course they don't care by and large). I'm deathly afraid once it's across the board, universally in the US, that queer conversations will die down, other issues won't be addressed nearly as much. Like, this is something that shouldn't even be an issue that people have to fight for, so what happens when The Real Stuff comes in. I don't even know.

  2. #2242
    The Nice Guy Outerspec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Home away from home.

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Pochipochi View Post
    ...
    This is all very passionate but highly ignorant. No doubt you are knowledgeable about the issue but you let your anger do the talking rather than your senses.

    Oh yeah, fuck the white man but that's the same fucking logic they use on us. Fuck the black man. It doesn't make it better. It only makes it worse. But hey, fuck it. Yeah, I saw the video. It was very good.

    You think I don't know about how much better white MALES have it than minorities? Right, if you think you need to sit here and lecture me about facts I already know then you're not only wasting my time but yours. Here's a fact for you. If I believed that all black people were superior to white people and practiced what I preached. That's racism. "But ohhhh that's only racism on an individual level Outerspec. What about the system?" I'm sorry, I didnít know that WE SHOULDN'T CARE ABOUT IT because it's not the big picture. There are bigger race related issues out there, no doubt, but your unabashed anger and self righteousness has made you forget something important. Not focusing too much on the individual does not = fuck the individual.

    You can't pick and choose Po. You can't choose what is the issue and what isn't. It goes up and down. From top to bottom. Did you watch the vid? The individual level of racism IS a problem and not a problem that should be denied. Just not compared. You seem to think I have some kind of agenda to put individual racism above all else. No, I have a hard time believing you're even reading my comments correctly. The only angle I have is to simply point out that racism against white people does exist. You think acknowledging that is a problem. That's the major issue here. Your way of thinking.

    When you have no sympathy for your fellow man because he's white and others are suffering worse. When you have no sympathy for your fellow woman because she's white and the system is even at least built to support her over others. You're falling into that special category of people who love to think only of themselves and their own. No, I donít believe you're racist. Of course not but you are pretty indulgent in the fantasy of "you can't go over unless you fuck the white man".

    No Po. Do you have any idea how stupid that makes you sound. You're not stupid but you're not helping your case.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Pochipochi View Post
    Well don't talk about it. I just gave you a post as to why you don't talk about it. So don't.

    Don't play devil's advocate for white people end of story. All you do is derail from serious issues. Just look at how many people crawled out of the woodwork to go UHM NO :) when I said white people don't suffer racism.
    Hey, hey, hey! Look at how many people said I was wrong. That must mean I was right! Right? =)
    Everything's Eventual...


  3. #2243
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Nintendo

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Pochipochi View Post
    But no, that is absolutely not racism dude. I say this with not a single doubt.
    Then you're an idiot. But I already suspected that.

  4. #2244

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I can tell this might get really bad really fast, so guys please drop the issue.

  5. #2245

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    So this means the majority of States now allow same-sex marriage. Right?
    Twenty-nine as of now with Montana, Arizona (speaking of karma...), and Alaska potentially affected by today's decision as well.

    The rulings are becoming more delightfully sarcastic as time goes by as opponents of gay marriage become more nonsensical in arguing why it should be banned.

    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...-rock-and-roll
    Complicating things since 2009.

  6. #2246

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    ...
    Christ, you think I hate white people? That I have some indiscriminate blind rage? Are you seriously trying to do a "you're just as bad as them" argument? I'm angry and aggressive and persistent in wanting change and I'm not blinded one single bit. You think I don't have white friends and I haven't shared in great interpersonal chemistry? Like shit I'm mixed race, I'm even more privileged here than people who have it damn worse. I sure as hell check myself and watch how I am about racial issues, but I sure as hell care and these issues sure as fuck affect my family at large and other siblings who look way more fucking Asian than I do. Do you think I specifically want to fuck someone over? God. Everything you are saying is a walking textbook example of "bad ally", well documented examples of people who are saying genuinely fucked up things and think they aren't. If you're white that is. I don't even know if you're a PoC, someone with "more" color than I have, and if you are this becomes a different subject and honestly I'm not going to attack you for internalization, or something, because that's ULTRA shitty to talk down to you like that.

    Otherwise, everything you're saying is such a case of talking down. You genuinely have no concept of how oppressed groups discuss and talk about their issues. You're so concerned about how, what, I'm gonna be mean to white people? You think I can't sympathize with them? The entire media and cultural landscape of the United States revolves around them. WE NEED TO RAISE THE CONVERSATION ABOVE THIS LEVEL THAT WE HAVE TO INCORPORATE THEIR FUCKING FEELINGS INTO EVERYTHING.

    This is something common in minority groups. To voice frustrations with things like "fuck all straight people" or something, because it isn't about individual straight people, it's about everything that goes into the systems that privilege them. This is fine. This is okay. Christ. CHRIST. THIS ISNT ABOUT TAKING POWER AWAY FROM WHITE PEOPLE OR SOMETHING TO LORD OVER THEM, JESUS CHRIST YOU ASSHOLE.

    Everything you're talking about is such a fucking hypothetical and it's so patronizing and groundless. So meanspirited. So fucking pedantic. YOUR WEAPON IS FALSE EQUIVALENCY AND YOU REALLY WIELD IT WELL jesus.

    YOU DONT EVEN UNDERSTAND THE VIDEO YOU CLAIM TO UNDERSTAND

    Quote Originally Posted by King Hippo View Post
    Then you're an idiot. But I already suspected that.
    Don't you even try to simplify this down to some indignant and arrogant statement, I have provided a damn fine post explaining my viewpoints and you do not even get to try to say I'm an "idiot", as if these important issues I'm bringing up, real life fucking issues, are in any way "idiotic". Don't you dare insult them and don't you try to flail into this and try to one over.

    Like christ, Silence has a treasure trove of studies and data that support what I'm talking about but he's not here and I'm not going to put it on him to back me up if he wants to keep out of this for his health. I've talked about these kinds of issues for a fucking long time on AP and I have never been told I'm an idiot who needs to leave. Considering the amount of people in this section who support and practice intersectionality these damn sure aren't "idiot" concepts to us and. God. Just fuck off dude.
    Last edited by Pochipochi; October 7th, 2014 at 03:28 PM.

  7. #2247

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/10/mass-grave-uncovered-in-mexico/381131/


    A
    nother link if you clicked the previous one i put on about the massacre in Ayotzinapa and are interested in knowing a bit more. There is a lot more info but it's in spanish. There is a call for a national manifestation tomorrow. I'm just so mad at this i'm doing anything to take my mind off of it. Christ, fuckin newspapers had the info about it in the second page, no even a headline. Cause the fuckin news of teenagers being tortured and murdered (and, oh god, possible burnt alive) isn't as important as some fuckin soccer team losing a match (The headline said "PURE PAIN". Yes, the soccer one).

    Sometimes it's so hard to love the fellow human being :(


    And how i feel isn't even important. There are dozens of mother who will never see their children again.
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

  8. #2248

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    we're taking a break for a few hours.




  9. #2249

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I hope it goes without saying that the argument in this thread is over and we're moving on to a different topic.


    Now back to your regularly scheduled news thread


  10. #2250
    Lost in Traslation Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II


  11. #2251

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    ^And not only is Duncan dead, but now one of the first responders that entered his apartment WITHOUT any protective equipment, decided to go into a fucking community walk-in clinic with ebola symptoms.

    http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/healt...pect/16922477/

    I live not even 2 miles from this place and know the people that work there, I've been there quite a few times myself over the years and since the pharmacy where I was working at is one of the nearest pharmacies to the clinic, I had to call and talk to many of them on a regular basis. Hopefully they're all at low-risk, but if it ever got to the point someone was in close contact examining him before he bothered to mention what happened, I'm going to be so fucking pissed. I already am pissed. How this situation is getting handled is all sorts of fucked up, and as someone who walked into the infected man's apartment without any protection he needed to be high fucking up on the list of people that needed to be quarantined.

    And how STUPID can you get to just walk into a clinic when you KNOW what you were potentially exposed to?? That's so incredibly selfish and ridiculous and I don't care if the guy only has a stomach bug and not actual ebola, the fact that he even thought it was ok to just walk into a walk-in clinic versus a hospital that's actually equipped to have him immediately isolated is so fucking irresponsible and stupid I hope that charges are filed. This didn't even have to happen in my community to get me mad about it, that is just un-fucking-believable. There is a hospital not very far from here to boot.

    I could go on and on about how this is not getting handled as efficiently as it should, but that's another topic. The choice of hospital is pretty suspect as well, there are a few more hospitals in the area WAY better equipped and staffed to properly handle this issue than Dallas Presby, come the fuck on.

    And the pissing war that will erupt though if he is diagnosed and then gets sent to a nicer hospital or even Atlanta when Duncan wasn't is going to be nasty (though I figure it's really because he was too far gone for the most highly effective early-stage treatment by the time he was properly diagnosed, so they could only do the best they could with the medicine they had and keep him comfortable. He may have had a good chance of recovering if he hadn't been sent home from the hospital the first time and went straight into treatment.) And the fact that a West African doctor has been able to treat many of his patients in the early stages with the same antiviral thats commonly given to people as treatment for exposure to HIV in the states, but that being "too risky and needs to be tested" before giving to the people who were exposed to ebola here (even though it has the exact same risks) makes me want to scream. The fact that Ebola functions similarly to HIV (though its more treatable) is a BIG FUCKING DEAL and it would seem like common sense would dictate lets try this out.

    I'm sorry but the way everything is structured around profit before giving basic care has got to have a fucking limit. Besides you have to take those drugs usually LONGER THAN THE RECOMMENDED PROPHYLAXIS DOSE before you get into the more severe risk of liver damage anyway. If it was me, I'll take my chances with liver damage before dying of such a horrible disease.

    I am so done with this shit. People need to do what's best for other people, not their pocketbooks. No otherwise healthy person in this country should die because of ebola. Period.
    Last edited by Arei; October 8th, 2014 at 03:01 PM.

    . tumblr
    . mfc .
    . ask for FB or AIM/Skype .
    . psn & nintendo id squeesax . 3DS FC: 3797-6626-6957 .

  12. #2252

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    I hope it goes without saying that the argument in this thread is over and we're moving on to a different topic.


    Now back to your regularly scheduled news thread
    Finally now back to the Ebola epidemic in America.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  13. #2253
    Lost in Traslation Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Arei View Post
    ^.......

    I could go on and on about how this is not getting handled as efficiently as it should, but that's another topic. The choice of hospital is pretty suspect as well, there are a few more hospitals in the area WAY better equipped and staffed to properly handle this issue than Dallas Presby, come the fuck on.

    ...........
    Wha... Presby... not Parkland?
    Okay it's been a long time since I've lived in the DFW metro, -not sure of any newer hospitals and back when I lived there Parkland and Presby got the most attention ... not to mention my family used Parkland several times. (Niece & nephew born there in late 80s) So not sure of any other hospitals in the area, so I named Parkland.

    I remember Parkland was due for some overhaul at some point but it was still better than Presby from what I remember. Larger, more specialized equipment ect... Don't know how much that's changed ... though Parkland was like the DFW airport - seemed like a city unto itself. (least to me it did)

  14. #2254

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    It's not an epidemic here =___=

    Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Wha... Presby... not Parkland?
    Okay it's been a long time since I've lived in the DFW metro, -not sure of any newer hospitals and back when I lived there Parkland and Presby got the most attention ... not to mention my family used Parkland several times. (Niece & nephew born there in late 80s) So not sure of any other hospitals in the area, so I named Parkland.

    I remember Parkland was due for some overhaul at some point but it was still better than Presby from what I remember. Larger, more specialized equipment ect... Don't know how much that's changed ... though Parkland was like the DFW airport - seemed like a city unto itself. (least to me it did)
    Parkland would've not been my choice either (and yes they have and are still renovating Parkland now, its actually getting pretty nice). I'm thinking more UT Southwestern. Presby is not a bad hospital at all, honestly, but it's a medium-sized more general hospital, not exactly a place that's probably got a healthy amount of disease specialists. Though they really have kept quiet, it's possible they've pulled people from other hospitals (or experts from the CDC) and the only reason they kept him there was mostly to minimize exposure to others. Probably just had people from the CDC come in to help. Apparently every hospital in the US is equipped, or SUPPOSED to be equipped, to be able to isolate someone with a seriously infectious disease, so as long as they get the people in it may not really matter where it's happening if they can keep the patient in a safe environment. I just thought it was weird at first they didn't take him to a disease center at one of the larger university hospitals.

    The news is reporting that the chance the deputy actually has ebola is pretty low, and they were able to release all of the patients and what sounds like most of the staff at this time. I couldn't quite confirm whether there was someone on staff that may have been put at risk but overall it sounds like no. Still, the guy should've known better and called 911 instead of going into a walk-in clinic. That's really stupid. Right now his son is saying he did not actually touch anything in the apartment or any of the family members, which if that's the case it SHOULD be a rather low risk. Especially since no other family members were showing symptoms, and still aren't.

    . tumblr
    . mfc .
    . ask for FB or AIM/Skype .
    . psn & nintendo id squeesax . 3DS FC: 3797-6626-6957 .

  15. #2255
    Lost in Traslation Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Arei View Post
    Parkland would've not been my choice either (and yes they have and are still renovating Parkland now, its actually getting pretty nice). I'm thinking more UT Southwestern. Presby is not a bad hospital at all, honestly, but it's a medium-sized more general hospital, not exactly a place that's probably got a healthy amount of disease specialists. Though they really have kept quiet, it's possible they've pulled people from other hospitals (or experts from the CDC) and the only reason they kept him there was mostly to minimize exposure to others. Probably just had people from the CDC come in to help. Apparently every hospital in the US is equipped, or SUPPOSED to be equipped, to be able to isolate someone with a seriously infectious disease, so as long as they get the people in it may not really matter where it's happening if they can keep the patient in a safe environment. I just thought it was weird at first they didn't take him to a disease center at one of the larger university hospitals.

    The news is reporting that the chance the deputy actually has ebola is pretty low, and they were able to release all of the patients and what sounds like most of the staff at this time. I couldn't quite confirm whether there was someone on staff that may have been put at risk but overall it sounds like no. Still, the guy should've known better and called 911 instead of going into a walk-in clinic. That's really stupid. Right now his son is saying he did not actually touch anything in the apartment or any of the family members, which if that's the case it SHOULD be a rather low risk. Especially since no other family members were showing symptoms, and still aren't.
    That's what I was thinking Presby always been smaller and more general health oriented than Parkland, that had more specialized doctors and equipment. I'm sure they found a way to add more space - somehow- but its still -always will (unless they close down an rebuild from scratch) has less space than Parkland. I'm sure they're bigger now but last time I went to Parkland, Presby was ... what 1/4th to 1/3 the size of Parkland.

  16. #2256
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I'm sorry Arei, this is NOT a time to be living in Texas.

    To bring a little light into the picture let's read about how the Religious Right is throwing a hissy fit over the Supreme Court's (not)ruling on gay marriage:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/reli...n-gay-marriage

  17. #2257

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I'm sorry Arei, this is NOT a time to be living in Texas.

    To bring a little light into the picture let's read about how the Religious Right is throwing a hissy fit over the Supreme Court's (not)ruling on gay marriage:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/reli...n-gay-marriage
    I'm routinely amazed at how a good portion of these people are enraged at the court doing it's job.
    Like it was entirely created by the FOUNDING FATHERS to arbitrate on issues like this and make choices that may just ignore or contradict popular opinion. That's the whole point all the powdered wigs these guys worship had in mind.

  18. #2258
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    All logic and memory goes out the window when they don't get their way.

  19. #2259

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    I like how people are saying not to panic over and over


    Like how does one even panic over this? Locking the door and crying in the corner while rubbing disinfectant all over??


  20. #2260

    Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    That's what I was thinking Presby always been smaller and more general health oriented than Parkland, that had more specialized doctors and equipment. I'm sure they found a way to add more space - somehow- but its still -always will (unless they close down an rebuild from scratch) has less space than Parkland. I'm sure they're bigger now but last time I went to Parkland, Presby was ... what 1/4th to 1/3 the size of Parkland.
    No where Presby is, it really can't expand much farther, if at all. It's kinda crunched in where it's at.

    Parkland is pretty big but UTSW and Baylor definitely dwarf it, though they've expanded Parkland A LOT. Though really if you have some kind of rare disease, most of those specialists are at UTSW, since its a university and a research hub. Baylor has a lot of that too, but if its something really really rare or really bad you'll probably find the right specialist at UT. Though I can see them keeping people in one place now that it's been established. They really really really do not need to spread possible ebola patients across the area in multiple hospitals. That would not be good.


    Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    I like how people are saying not to panic over and over


    Like how does one even panic over this? Locking the door and crying in the corner while rubbing disinfectant all over??
    Yes exactly. Today at that clinic this guy they interviewed took his kid in there for a flu shot and they apparently ran into an exam room and put on masks and rubbed themselves down with disinfectant.

    Now that that's happened, my school sent out an email a couple of hours ago to tell people to calm down and go to class.


    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I'm sorry Arei, this is NOT a time to be living in Texas.

    To bring a little light into the picture let's read about how the Religious Right is throwing a hissy fit over the Supreme Court's (not)ruling on gay marriage:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/reli...n-gay-marriage
    Lol when are they not throwing a fit.

    They need to get over themselves. Their religion has NO RIGHTS according to the constitution because that's how the founding fathers themselves wanted it to be. Considering a massive amount of people left England in the first place to escape from the church of England literally ruling the land... Sorry right-wingers, this country was found on freedom of (and FROM) religion, not "under God". I feel bad as a christian that I say a lot of these things, but I cannot get worked up about this considering there are millions of people suffering from not being able to afford education, or healthcare that many desperately need to stay alive. Yeah we gotta get mad about what consenting adults do in their homes. We've got to threaten people to call CPS to take away someone's children because they aren't "Christian" (this was on my FB today) and think they need to protect the children from the parents because not believing in God is akin to beating a child with a belt (probably what these people do to their own children). I'm so tired of this argument. Please, our country is in the shitter in many ways and we have to argue over matters of opinion that have no bearing on someone else's personal life and decisions.


    And I just love that this latest development had to happen not even 2 miles from my house. Of all places. I'm gonna go with the theory the Cowboys actually playing better is damning us to destruction lol. Well lets just add one more reason to the massive list of why I want to leave Texas.

    Edit: They're going to do another clean-up and decontamination of the clinic because people are freaking out so bad. All I'm thinking is the media circus better not be there tomorrow with all sorts of gawkers because I went the long way home fearing they'd be clogging up main street. I usually go in/out that direction.
    Last edited by Arei; October 8th, 2014 at 08:35 PM.

    . tumblr
    . mfc .
    . ask for FB or AIM/Skype .
    . psn & nintendo id squeesax . 3DS FC: 3797-6626-6957 .

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts